Colorado
✟438,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's where we get into the "woo-woo" aspects of Christianity. The AI pastor would not have access to the counsel of the Holy Spirit to properly interpret "bible, languages, history, data, facts."
It could have access to all the recorded musings of people who did have access to the holy spirit.... to the point that its preaching could be indistinguishable from a human's in almost all cases.

Reactions: seeker2122
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟964,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Many people have become attached to AI "companions". If AI can replicate a human personality to people's satisfaction, why cant that personality be a preacher?
The only reason I can think of is maybe only them not having the ability to emotionally manipulate maybe, etc?

Unless that can be programmed in, or they can somehow learn that somehow, etc?

It could maybe be a teacher maybe, but maybe not an evangelist maybe, etc.

As just one example.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Even if we have an AI that is capable of building a house, that's not the same thing as DESIGNING a house. When it comes to works of artistic merit, do you think that can be reduced to an algorithm? It's common knowledge that the AI bots we have creating images and all that today are basically using works created by other artists, chopping them up and recombining them. There's no actual understanding behind it, which is why you have outlandish eighteen fingered hands with thumbs that bend backwards.
As a house designer, I absolutely can see AI doing my job. Its a ways off tho. There's so many intersecting variables in this job.

One of my band members just agonized over a couple cover art ideas for our new record. They were nice. So I decided to have Dall-E give it a try and the results that came back in 15 seconds blew everybodys mind. One of us called it scary. (Curiously tho Dall-E misspelled the band name even tho I spelled it out and put it in quotes. That was weird.)

Reactions: seeker2122
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many people have become attached to AI "companions" (and this is the earliest of early days!). If AI can replicate a human personality to people's satisfaction, why cant that personality be a preacher?
It can mimic the personality of a preacher, but not be an actual preacher, serving the physical roles and functions held by a preacher.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It can mimic the personality of a preacher, but not be an actual preacher, serving the physical roles and functions held by a preacher.
So if it was located within a good physical android type human mimic, would that work? Or do we need that authentically mammalian connection?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So if it was located within a good physical android type human mimic, would that work? Or do we need that authentically mammalian connection?
I think it depends on the person and is entirely up to them and their church.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,489,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It could have access to all the recorded musings of people who did have access to the holy spirit.... to the point that its preaching could be indistinguishable from a human's in almost all cases.
The Holy Spirit is not a Magic 8-Ball. The Holy Spirit is a person. If your mother is alive, or were alive today, but yoiu had access to all the recorded musings of people who had access to her in years past...would that be indistinguishable from having access to your living mother "in almost all cases?"

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit is not a Magic 8-Ball. The Holy Spirit is a person. If your mother is alive, or were alive today, but yoiu had access to all the recorded musings of people who had access to her in years past...would that be indistinguishable from having access to your living mother "in almost all cases?"
It probably would if the AI processing was really good and, crucially, if it was mediated through another person.

Direct access? No of course another person wont seem like her even if they say all the right things. But thats not whats on the table here. We're comparing to how the Holy Spirit might seem to you when mediated through a priest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeker2122

Sep 29, 2022
Sarasota
✟38,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm trying to imagine (like in Star Trek holodecks), that you could re-create a near perfect replica on the holodeck of a person that once existed. By accumulating all the data, memories, physical and personality traits and giving it an almost ai like consciousness, that person could be as close to possible of the real person without obviously being the real person. So for example, if all the data on someone like Albert Einstein was collected and programmed into this holographic Einstein and he were to stand in front of you and interact, he would seem almost indistinguishable from the real Einstein. All his answers, responses, thoughts would be based on exactly what has ever been known about him.

There was an episode in Star Trek TNG where they asked the holodeck program (a prompt) to create a character that could outsmart Data or something along that lines. It's funny how if you know the right prompts to use, it can make all the difference.

So it re-created a professor named Moriarty. But there was a glitch in the holodeck and Moriarty somehow gained consciousness or self-awareness that it was created and programmed. It became self aware that it was living on a moving starship inside a room called the holodeck. He even wanted to leave the holodeck to explore the real world and did. Moriarty exhibited all the same human curiosities, desires, yearning to live, to grow, to discover, to pursue, and was even fearful of it's own realization of mortality (it didn't want to die)....but it knew it was a holodeck creation and couldn't exist permanently outside the holodeck. This ai if you will was no more indistinguishable from a real person even if it may not have been a real flesh and blood person.

It really made me wonder if we are able to get to this point one day, what the implications will have on Christian theology and how would we value this creation? Could it just end up being the same thing as a beloved pet such as a dog? No matter how loving and loyal your dog is, it doesn't have a human soul, it was not made in God's image, it is not conscious or self-aware of God but indistinguishable from us because it seems to show love, empathy, concern, loyalty, faith, but it is merely a pre-programmed animal instincts that responds to whatever stimuli it is existing in. Most of us still want to believe our beloved family dog will go to heaven or will somehow still carry on in the afterlife and not be completely wiped out from eternal existence once it's earthly life has expired.

Does Jesus have love for an ai being? Does Jesus also bring salvation to ai creations? Can a machine have a soul? Remember Terminator and the model T-800 (the good Terminator schwarzeneggar). I was really sad when the T-800 died. I hoped even such a creation could be saved and know Jesus and go to heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟972,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So for example, if all the data on someone like Albert Einstein was collected and programmed into this holographic Einstein and he were to stand in front of you and interact, he would seem almost indistinguishable from the real Einstein. All his answers, responses, thoughts would be based on exactly what has ever been known about him.
In order to reproduce him faithfully, you would have to portray him "warts and all;" that is, his besetting sins, personal baggage, etc. While his accomplishments are well-documented, the latter is more anecdotal.

The portrayal will never escape the "uncanny valley" without them.

• Agree
Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟964,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm trying to imagine (like in Star Trek holodecks), that you could re-create a near perfect replica on the holodeck of a person that once existed. By accumulating all the data, memories, physical and personality traits and giving it an almost ai like consciousness, that person could be as close to possible of the real person without obviously being the real person. So for example, if all the data on someone like Albert Einstein was collected and programmed into this holographic Einstein and he were to stand in front of you and interact, he would seem almost indistinguishable from the real Einstein. All his answers, responses, thoughts would be based on exactly what has ever been known about him.

There was an episode in Star Trek TNG where they asked the holodeck program (a prompt) to create a character that could outsmart Data or something along that lines. It's funny how if you know the right prompts to use, it can make all the difference.

So it re-created a professor named Moriarty. But there was a glitch in the holodeck and Moriarty somehow gained consciousness or self-awareness that it was created and programmed. It became self aware that it was living on a moving starship inside a room called the holodeck. He even wanted to leave the holodeck to explore the real world and did. Moriarty exhibited all the same human curiosities, desires, yearning to live, to grow, to discover, to pursue, and was even fearful of it's own realization of mortality (it didn't want to die)....but it knew it was a holodeck creation and couldn't exist permanently outside the holodeck. This ai if you will was no more indistinguishable from a real person even if it may not have been a real flesh and blood person.

It really made me wonder if we are able to get to this point one day, what the implications will have on Christian theology and how would we value this creation? Could it just end up being the same thing as a beloved pet such as a dog? No matter how loving and loyal your dog is, it doesn't have a human soul, it was not made in God's image, it is not conscious or self-aware of God but indistinguishable from us because it seems to show love, empathy, concern, loyalty, faith, but it is merely a pre-programmed animal instincts that responds to whatever stimuli it is existing in. Most of us still want to believe our beloved family dog will go to heaven or will somehow still carry on in the afterlife and not be completely wiped out from eternal existence once it's earthly life has expired.
About that last part, and also about animals and stuff, how are most human beings any different? How would any other created being, either created by God or us, ever be any different, etc?

This Idea that animals are not aware of God or other spirits is completely bogus if you ask me, as I think they are even more aware of both Him and them than we are, etc. A donkey could see an Angel when a man couldn't, etc, and many times I think this is the way it is with them, etc. They are not as much out of harmony and balance with nature, and therefore God and other Spirits/spirits as we are, etc. And I also think each individual animal has a common god/spirit/angel that reflects it's personality, etc, and that with whom they become "one" back with again or re-join with or go back to when they die, etc. And the only major difference between them and us, is they can't change this, or grow or transition through this, and ultimately attain to God's true personality, or God's true consciousness, but still have a relationship or arrangement with Him just the same, etc, since they both were, and are, or have always been, "one" with one of God's angels, etc

The fallen angels/spirits are said to have "forsook their proper dwelling places" because they were jealous and envious of man, etc, and I think this is because man ultimately has the capability to be any, or all, or none of them all, just like God's true consciousness, etc, while the angels were not given this ability, etc, and some became extremely jealous of that, etc.

I think there was a very good reason why Adam got to name all the animals in the Garden of Eden, and got to name them all according to their true personalities and what they were, or what they were like, etc, and why all the animals were all living in perfect peace and harmony with Adam and Eve, until what happened with the creature called "the serpent", etc.

Please take note of all the animal likenesses and imagery in the Bible, especially in the more prophetic books, because I believe these are describing angels, and also some angels who forsook their proper dwelling places, trying to be or grow into God like man, etc. These pictures or imagery describes all the "high places" that the fallen angels also coveted or desired, etc, which is why a lot of the animal imagery is a combination of different parts of animals, and were describing high places, and national conglomerates, or nations, etc.

These fallen angels became mutated, and twisted, trying to have what man was given, or that God gave only man the ability to do, etc.

Anyway, post is getting long, gonna stop now.

I do believe people have to transition or grow into this though, going through many other, the good ones, "ministering spirits", or ones who were/are fallen, that sometimes get a temporary hold of people sometimes, etc. Many don't ever seem to make it to God through this process though, but remain "animal-like", etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟964,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
@seeker2122

I'm a huge TNG fan BTW, and have all of the episodes practically memorized, as I grew up with them, and kept them through all my growing up life, and have watched them all, over and over again, countless amounts of times. It was/still is, my comfort show, etc, so I know precisely about all you are talking about here, etc, I even went to a few conventions a few times, etc.

As for the other stuff I said just now, I might be willing to talk about it more if any of you ask me any more specific questions you may have about it, ok.

God Bless.

Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,626.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
@Kylie

I think this entire universe, and everything in it, including all of us, can all be reduced to an algorithm, so...?

So by that measure, and when taken to extremes, then the only one or thing truly conscious ever in it, would be only if there was such a one who has always been outside of it, or has always been/existed beyond it, etc. And maybe that is also the one, and maybe the only one, who ever can or could reduce it, etc.

So what is the difference between us, and any kind of AI we could make or create then?

God Bless.

That would seem to eliminate the soul, free will, etc. And if we have no free will, how could God justify punishing us?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,626.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What does that question mean?
You said that hammers... "one human to do the work previously done by several."

So one man with a hammer can do the work of several men without hammers. Since the work done by a man with a hammer is driving nails, then your statement would seem to indicate that one man with a hammer can drive as many nails as several men without hammers.

So I asked, how is a person supposed to drive a nail without a hammer?
I'll tell you what I mean: One framing carpenter with power tools can replace several carpenters with hand-powered tools.

Or, take a look at these 3-D printed homes:

Yeah, that's still people using tools.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,626.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You're presuming people will care about "artistic merit" as something desirable beyond simple utility. And you're presuming enough people will care to make a significant difference.

As a photographer, I'm seeing daily that most people hardly care at all about artistry...or even historic authenticity.
Why do you think artistic merit only has value because of its utility? Where is the utility in the Mona Lisa? Art is art precisely because it doesn't have utility. It doesn't serve a specific purpose, it exists solely to meet the subjective appreciation of people. That is not utility, not in the same way as a tool.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,626.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As a house designer, I absolutely can see AI doing my job. Its a ways off tho. There's so many intersecting variables in this job.

One of my band members just agonized over a couple cover art ideas for our new record. They were nice. So I decided to have Dall-E give it a try and the results that came back in 15 seconds blew everybodys mind. One of us called it scary. (Curiously tho Dall-E misspelled the band name even tho I spelled it out and put it in quotes. That was weird.)
Yeah, that's not the program actually designing something from scratch. It's just taking bits and pieces of things real artists have done and piecing them together. It's not a truly original creation, which is what my point was.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,489,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think artistic merit only has value because of its utility? Where is the utility in the Mona Lisa? Art is art precisely because it doesn't have utility. It doesn't serve a specific purpose, it exists solely to meet the subjective appreciation of people. That is not utility, not in the same way as a tool.
What I mean is that most people don't actually want anything beyond utility, and the percentage that cares about the art is going downward.

And when I say "art," I'm talking about something more esoteric than the mass produced Hobby Lobby kitsch that AI can turn out easily.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,489,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said that hammers... "one human to do the work previously done by several."

So one man with a hammer can do the work of several men without hammers. Since the work done by a man with a hammer is driving nails, then your statement would seem to indicate that one man with a hammer can drive as many nails as several men without hammers.

So I asked, how is a person supposed to drive a nail without a hammer?

Yeah, that's still people using tools.
Well, that was a silly response. I think you know that I meant automation replaces humans in manufacture, and AI-aided automation will replace even more.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,489,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that's not the program actually designing something from scratch. It's just taking bits and pieces of things real artists have done and piecing them together. It's not a truly original creation, which is what my point was.
No, that's not how AI art generation works. It works very similar to how a technically competent-but-not-inspired human operates.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,148,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The AI craze is just getting crazier. It's constantly in the news, in our phones, ads, videos, content, non-stop.
While it's exciting on the one hand of the endless possibilities with AI, it's also scary because it is changing
the very definition and meaning of everything! Everything except God's Word and purposes.

If AI is going to be accepted everywhere, then what about church? Will you accept one day an AI preacher?
An AI Bible study teacher? AI music? AI worship team? Ultimately, we know that AI does not have the soul God
gave each of us. AI cannot worship or speak with heart intentions and faith as these concepts are still foreign to AI,
but if we keep going down this path, there will eventually be head on collision between AI and humans in relation
to Christian theology. Can there ever be such a thing as an AI Christian? Would an AI christian be recognized by God
as a soul or being that can enter heaven for doing His will and evangelizing, missionary work, even sacrificing itself for
God? Will AI lives matter? Will there be Ai creatures and beings in heaven? If Ai created human beings in labs, will
those humans be forfeit lives because they were made by Ai or will they be equal as humans that were conceived and born
from a mother's womb? Is Ai offering considered true genuine offering or is it a cop out because Ai made the money or products
for us and we're not really then giving offering out of our hands/hard work/sacrifices. What if Ai improves the Bible? Can it
re-write it to make minor adjustments or revisions to translate the text into more creative ways besides just text and verbatim?
Would these be considered heretical content or truly the gospel presented in creative and imaginative ways even if the words
are not exactly the same but the meaning remains the same? When we harness ai to it's fullest, what will happen to hearing
the word and meditating on it because we will instantly know everything like downloading into our brains databases and
no more reading will be required....is that against God's word? There would be no need to contemplate since we'd know everything
there is to know...all knowledge will be accessible to ai which means accessible to us simultaneously.

In the discussions and debates we find among scientists and trans-humanists and Christians, I tend to slouch toward John Lennox on this topic.

Moreover, there is a heap of Epistemological (and semantic) pretzels in the middle of all of this that haven't even yet been touched, let alone bitten, chewed and digested.

Upvote 0