Jan 12, 2007
✟139,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Right now as a female the only places you won't go would be a submarine. It all depends on your rate (MOS for the other branches) which is basically the job you do. Either way after boot camp you'll be at a school to learn your rate and most of them are anywhere from 2-16 weeks (a select few are longer). After your school you'll most likely be at either a ship or a squadron or a base depending on what you'll be doing.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2014
✟9,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right now as a female the only places you won't go would be a submarine. It all depends on your rate (MOS for the other branches) which is basically the job you do. Either way after boot camp you'll be at a school to learn your rate and most of them are anywhere from 2-16 weeks (a select few are longer). After your school you'll most likely be at either a ship or a squadron or a base depending on what you'll be doing.

Ahhh, ok. Thank you guys very much!!! :)

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right now as a female the only places you won't go would be a submarine.

That has actually changed. In late 2012 the first women reported aboard one of our submarines. They're starting with the SSGNs and the SSBNs, and eventually as we design new SSNs they'll be made to have both sexes.

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What you do after boot camp will be decided between you and your recruiter. You will either be a non-rate or the recruiter will garuntee you an A-school so you can have a job rating.

A non-rate has no specialized military skills. They are used as a brunt work force and are extremely necessary to a working Navy. As a non-rate, you are almost garunteed to go to a boat.

When you go to an A-school, you get specialized traning and become rated. I for instance when to Electronics Technician A-school. My rate (or job) is an electronics technician. I learned the skills I need to work on electronic equipment. As a junior petty officer, you are almost garunteed to a boat.

What you need to do is work on your math. If you can't pass a basic math test, you are going to have a hard life. Study up, get the highest score you can on that test. The outcome (there is no passing and failing) of that test will determine what A-Schools you will be allowed to attend. Based on our score you will be able to pick the school you want.

Like they say, "Choose your rate, choose your fate."

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2014
✟9,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just graduated in August. After that I went to school in Florida for a few weeks and now I am stationed in Norfolk.
Ahhhh nice!!!! How do you like it in Norfolk? Do you do online school now, or are you attending a school there in Norfolk or on base?

What you do after boot camp will be decided between you and your recruiter. You will either be a non-rate or the recruiter will garuntee you an A-school so you can have a job rating.

A non-rate has no specialized military skills. They are used as a brunt work force and are extremely necessary to a working Navy. As a non-rate, you are almost garunteed to go to a boat.

When you go to an A-school, you get specialized traning and become rated. I for instance when to Electronics Technician A-school. My rate (or job) is an electronics technician. I learned the skills I need to work on electronic equipment. As a junior petty officer, you are almost garunteed to a boat.

What you need to do is work on your math. If you can't pass a basic math test, you are going to have a hard life. Study up, get the highest score you can on that test. The outcome (there is no passing and failing) of that test will determine what A-Schools you will be allowed to attend. Based on our score you will be able to pick the school you want.

Like they say, "Choose your rate, choose your fate."
Thank you very much!!! This was very helpful!!! Going to be talking to a recruiter this next year and am very excited!!!! Huzzah for us sailors!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SPB1987

Jul 29, 2011
✟9,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ahhhh nice!!!! How do you like it in Norfolk? Do you do online school now, or are you attending a school there in Norfolk or on base?

I graduated with my Bachelors degree in May before I went to boot camp. I am planning on putting in a OCS package after my first deployment.

Upvote 0

SPB1987

Jul 29, 2011
✟9,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you very much!!! This was very helpful!!! Going to be talking to a recruiter this next year and am very excited!!!! Huzzah for us sailors!!!!!!!

Seeing as how you are have not completed boot camp yet you should not say "us sailors"....some people may get offended by civilians referring to themselves in that light.

Upvote 0