• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Addiction

GARYVIS31

Oct 16, 2004
✟112.00
Faith
Catholic
I AM 56 YEARS OLD AND AM A WIDOWER WHO RAISED MY 3 CHILDREN ALONE. I BECAME AN ADDICT ATTHE LATE AGE OF 45.

I HAVE TRIED THE "ROOMS" , THEY DON'T WORK FOR ME.

I HAVE PRAYED HARD, AND FOR ALMOST A YEAR I REMAINED "CLEAN".

RECENTLY, I HAVE GONE BACK AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY GOD ALLOWS ME TOO.

I KNOW ABOUT "FREE WILL.", BUT I DON'T BELIEVE IN THE THEORY THE 12 STEPS SAY THAT YOU MUST GIVE UP YOUR WILL TO GOD.

EXACTLEY HOW DOES THAT "PROCESS" HAPPEN!!

WHAT I DO BELEIVE AND HAS WORKED FOR ME IN THE PAST IS TO HAVE SELF ESTEM AND A STRONG WILL "NOT" TO DO DRUGS AND THEN GOD HELPS ME TO STAY AWAY.

IT HAS"WORKED" BEFORE, WHY HAVE I FAILED HIM OR HIM ME?

I LIVE WITH A SCHOAFFECTICE SON, VERY BRIGHT- IS COMING OUT WTH ABOOK SOON, I HELP HIM ALL THE TIME. I HAVE TWO OTHER CHILDREN MARREID EACH WITH 1 CHILD.

MY DAUGHTER DOESN'T TALK WITH ME AT ALL, BUT MY OTHER SON IS CLOSE, BUT DOESN'T LIVE CLOSE.

THE TROUBLE IS, I LIVE IN ASTORIA QUEENS, ALL THE PEOPLE I KNOW, EVEN WHEN I STAY AWAY, ARE ADDICTICS. I HAVE NO FRIENDS AT ALL, NONE, AND BUT AM VERY SOCIABLE , ITNELLIGENT , EDUCATED, AND PERSONABLE, BUT I HAVEN'T THE FOGGIST IDEA AT 56 YRARS OLD HOW TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS.

I AM VERY GOOD IN MATHEMATICS-I DON'T WORK-SO I VOLUNTEER PART TIME FOR THIS WITH OLDER CHILDREN. IT HELPS, BUT EVEN WITH MY SON IN THE HOUSE, I FIND MYSELF SO LONELY AND ISOLATED AND BELEIVE ME THE SO CALLED "ROOMS" DON'T HELP AT ALL. INFACT, SOMETIMES THEY MAKE ME FEEL WORSE.

WHAT PRAYERS CAN I SAY AND WAHT MISTAKES AMI I MAKING?

THANK YOU,

GARY

rapturegirl

Oct 16, 2004
✟145.00
Faith
Pentecostal
King Jesus , I bring my brother to you in prayer...Jesus that satans hand will be defeated in my brothers life..Jesus you will send a worker to help my brother to deal with this addiction in his life and you will help my brother to be strong in your power King Jesus...Jesus you did mightly miracles in your day and you have never changed..Thank you for breaking these chains off of my brother..Jesus we give you the praise glory and honor for this miracle on my brothers behalf..Love you brother in Christ Jesus

Upvote 0

mystery4

Jul 11, 2004
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Faith
SDA
Hi Gary,

I've never been in your situation, so I don't know what you're going through. Though Jesus understands what you're going through so don't be afraid to turn to him.

First of all, while you may have made some mistakes (we all do at some stage), a mistake you haven't made is having a repentant heart and by praying.

While having self esteem and a strong will not to do drugs are important factors in overcoming any addiction (or sin for that matter), they alone will not help you to overcome it. It's only through the grace and power of God can we overcome it.

RO 7:21 So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Continue to pray, for its only through building a personal relationship with Jesus you will be able to beat the addiction. But you cannot grow in your relationship with Jesus if you do not give him control over every part of your life. By doing so, you allow part of your heart to harden and so make it harder for you to stop whatever it is you're wanting to stop.

When it comes to your eternal life, you are either a "slave" to sin, or you're a "slave" to God. [MT 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other.] By not handing over every part of your life to Jesus, you'll find that sin will end up controlling you and you end up feeling terrible all the time. Whereas by handing over the controls of your life to Jesus, you end up with a peace beyond understanding and a life full of joy and love.[Phil 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.] That isn't to say that life will be easy... it won't, but at least you know that Jesus will be with you all the time, ready to give you a gentle push back on the correct path. [MATT 7:13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.]

RO 8:5 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7 the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. 8 Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.

Upvote 0