Visit site
✟389.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems this issue is heating up with the confermation of Roberts to the supreme court. The ELCA's possision, like it has with many other conterversial things, put sort of a wishy washy statement about the abortion issue...I guess in the effort not to offend anyone.

I know how many conservatives in the ELCA feel about this, what realy interests me is how the more liberal side of the ELCA feel about this issue. IS abortion murder? Only under certain circumstances? Should the church have a stronger possision about this issue either for or against?

I myself believe life is a gift from God. Used to be more liberal on this point, tell my first daughter was born. Looking at her I knew she was a gift, and I had a responsibility towards her. Anyway, I know this is a hot issue, but another thread that sort of touched on this issue got me thinking, as well as the Roberts confermation.

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟29,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I put "right only under certain circumstances," but that doesn't really address my views completely. It was just the closest thing that I could put to what I believe. I believe that the only time abortion can be consider "right" is when the mother's life is in danger. I don't believe abortion is right if the child is going to mentally ill. I don't believe it is right if the child is going to have a physical handicap. (I find these are actually some of the most special, most loving, most well-behaved people in this world as it is!) I don't believe it is right to have an abortion if the pregnancy resulted from being raped. Rape is a horrible thing, but the life itself is still a gift.

It's ONLY when the mother's life is in danger. I mean, you are either going to lose one or two lives in that case. So, abortion is the "best wrong" choice, really. It's basically where the option is not having the right choice whatsoever because of this broken and fallen world.

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Like you said, as a conservative, you already know my position. But since the question is presented, I gotta say, it is always murder.

When is it acceptable to kill a six year old child, or a full grown adult? There is no ontological difference between these and a child that is still in her mother's womb.

That being said, what Bridget said above also holds true. If there is a situation where one must die, or they both certianly will, there is a tragic decision that must be made, and the mother should not be made to feel guilty for choosing to live. In no way, though, does that minimize the fact that an innocent child has lost her life, and this should be grieved.

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟22,990.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gotta go with Bridget on this. I'd say 99.6999999999999999999999999999999% of the time it is unacceptable, but if there's a choice between losing mother AND child, or only child... it may be the least of the 2 evils to lose the child only.

But that's pretty much the only scenario I can turn a blind eye to abortion.

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
DanHead said:
Like you said, as a conservative, you already know my position. But since the question is presented, I gotta say, it is always murder.

When is it acceptable to kill a six year old child, or a full grown adult? There is no ontological difference between these and a child that is still in her mother's womb.

That being said, what Bridget said above also holds true. If there is a situation where one must die, or they both certianly will, there is a tragic decision that must be made, and the mother should not be made to feel guilty for choosing to live. In no way, though, does that minimize the fact that an innocent child has lost her life, and this should be grieved.

ditto...my wife was born on 1-24-73...I believe the day Roe Vs. Wade was passed...her biological mother was 16 years old and had been looking for a way to abort...I'm kinda glad she couldn't...

Upvote 0

purpleunicorn_Andi

Mar 22, 2005
san antonio, tx
✟17,595.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
RedneckLutheran said:
ditto...my wife was born on 1-24-73...I believe the day Roe Vs. Wade was passed...her biological mother was 16 years old and had been looking for a way to abort...I'm kinda glad she couldn't...

actually it was one or two days after roe v wade...think that was jan 22 or 23,,,and I haven't asked Holly (my biological mother) if she would have....frankly that's not a question I'd really want the answer to... but I do know she drank & smoked durring her whole pregnacy (and not just cigerettes.) and possibly dropped acid early on.

now for my views.....1st and for most I want to say that I could not under any cirumstances do this(and I pray I never have to be put in a possition to choose)
I don't think it should be illegal (and before I get jumped on for that keep reading I don't agree with it, and I think it is a barbaric thing to do.) I think that it should be more regulated...and before the person gets one they have to have an ultrasound (see the baby's heart beat...) and be told in graffic detail exactly what will be done (preferably while getting the ultrasound) manditory 24 hours waiting after the ultrasound (the baby should be humanized,,,for after all that is what the baby is a human). the only reasons that I feel are acceptable are life of the mother (really big one....the only reason I would consider) rape or incest (but in these cases I do feel that there should be charges brought against the culprits...if known...atleast a police report and besides if the rape is reported right afterwards there would more than likely be little risk of pregnacy...I say these two cases not that I would do...could do it, but I could understand the feelings that would make someone want to do it...) if it was made illegal that would not stop people from getting them, it would just make the conditions a lot worse when they do.
Having said that let me stress that I do not think late term abortions should be legal...except life of the mother... esspecially the horrific thing they call partial birth abortion...that is MURDER any way you look at it!!!!(my understanding...and having a premie I do have a little bit of an understanding from the reasearch I have done... is that it is possible for a baby to be born as early as 25 weeks and surrvive...and even possible for them to have little or no disablities...although the earlier they are the greater the possiblity for disablities...but there is a chance for disablities no mater when the baby is born...even a full term baby can have serious problems...the baby is viable...there for if aborted murdered) I DO NOT think abortion is a type of birthcontrol...if you don't want a child there are other ways to keep from having one...including abstinance!!!!
I am still a little upset that the paperwork that I signed when I had my D&C done May 2004 had the word abortion on it...it said something about missed abortion...

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi purpleunicorn_Andi,

I don't want to "jump on" you, RedneckLutheran might not take too kindly to a lemur gnawing on your kneecap. ;)

I know that you have come to your conclusions based on how much you really and truly care for people. It shows. But maybe we can take a look at some of your reasoning for thinking abortion is acceptable, and discuss them. Would that be ok with you?.

the baby should be humanized,,,for after all that is what the baby is a human
If we take a potential victim of a serial killer, and make the serial killer get to know the potential victim before he kills her, does that make the serial killers actions any more acceptable? I know it sounds like a completely different situation, and not marally equilivant. But you just admitted that the baby is human. No human has the right to take the life of another innocent human do they? No matter how much they know the victim.

rape or incest
If the baby is human, as you said, how does the circumstances of her conception take away from her right to not be murdered, at least long enough for her to be put up for adoption? As incredibly tragic and heartwrenching as the situation may be, does it justify the murder of an innocent baby? If we allow the woman to kill anyone, we should allow her to kill the man who raped her!

if it was made illegal that would not stop people from getting them, it would just make the conditions a lot worse when they do.
Making rape illegal hasn't stopped people from doing that either. It just makes conditions a lot worse when it does happen. Should we apply the same logic you are using to justify killing babies, to rape? Set up safe, sanitized areas where men can bring their unwilling victims, to have their violent and foul way with them. This relieves them of having to kill the women as often, to avoid being caught. It's just the compassionate thing to do.

I trust you see how utterly absurd and deplorable the very idea is. It is never ok to make something acceptable just because some people will do it anyway. If that were the case, there would be no rules for anything.

Are African Americans human beings? Do they deserve to have freedom, or can they be owned as property, with their owners having the right to do whatever they want with them? That's just about one of the most ludicrous questions on the face of the planet, isn't it Andi? But believe it or not, not that long ago (1856), the Supreme Court of the United States told Dred Scott that they had no right to intervene on his behalf. You see, Mr. Scott sued for his freedom, and the Supreme Court ruled that the choice to own slaves was an individual decision, that every "person" had a private right to choose. Even though you disagree, can you really tell someone else that they can't own their own?

I hope this hasn't upset you. That was not my intention here. I know you are thinking with your heart, and I don't want you to feel bad about that, but I do want to help you see that this whole issue is just a matter of concistency; if the unborn child is not a living person, then no excuse for abortion is necessary. If it is, then no excuse for abortion is adequate.

Upvote 0

ctobola

Sep 30, 2004
Fargo
✟562.00
Faith
Lutheran
I'd go along with Bridget, although from what I've read, the cases where it comes down to the baby's life or the mother's life are extremely rare.

The date of the Roe v. Wade decision was January 22, 1973.

The problem I have with this issue is the extremes of anti-abortion movement uses so much hate (not anger -- hate) as a motivation. If we are to be people of peace, if we are to share our lives and our resources to dissuade any woman from having an abortion... we will never do it by hating.

Abortion represents the death of a child -- no question. Be we must also remember that the life of that child is in God's hands -- even after death -- and that God calls us to be people of peace, to be people of love. Hate has no place in the Christian faith -- we are called to "love the hell out of people," not scare/hate/correct/condemn the hell out of people.

In Christ, -Cloy

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ctobola said:
I'd go along with Bridget, although from what I've read, the cases where it comes down to the baby's life or the mother's life are extremely rare.

The date of the Roe v. Wade decision was January 22, 1973.

The problem I have with this issue is the extremes of anti-abortion movement uses so much hate (not anger -- hate) as a motivation. If we are to be people of peace, if we are to share our lives and our resources to dissuade any woman from having an abortion... we will never do it by hating.

Abortion represents the death of a child -- no question. Be we must also remember that the life of that child is in God's hands -- even after death -- and that God calls us to be people of peace, to be people of love. Hate has no place in the Christian faith -- we are called to "love the hell out of people," not scare/hate/correct/condemn the hell out of people.

In Christ, -Cloy

Cloy,

The problem I have is that these babies will never have the opportunity to be baptized and yet the parent has the opportunity to let them be born and have the opportunity. Indeed we are putting their salvation into God's grace, but the baby could be allowed to be born and put up for adoption as Dan suggests and at least have the opportunity for Baptism. THis is unlike a situation in which a child has been stillborn and there was absolutely no opportunity for the child.

How do we know that because the child was aborted that it didn't get thrown into eternal damnation on account of it's parents decision to abort?

Baptism saves and if we cut off their ability to get baptized because of our sinful desire to keep it from being born physically it also won't have the opportunity be born spiritually as well.

Their blood like that of Abel cries out to God from trash bags in the operating room and the Doctor replies. "Who am I? my brothers keeper"

It saddens God and it should outrage us that abortion is allowed at all with this in mind. The mother can ask for and receive forgiveness for her actions, but the baby is still born into sin. The mother has lived her life, let the baby have a chance to live it's life. Any mother worth her salt would rather that the baby live over and above her own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ctobola

Sep 30, 2004
Fargo
✟562.00
Faith
Lutheran
I have no disagreement with anything you wrote, Scott.

My only comment is that when you have to deal with woman or a family in a post-abortion situation, when you find yourself being moved to violence by the abortion holocaust, when you find yourself absolutely at the end of your rope intellectually with regard to the senseless disregard for the life of the unborn... it is important to remember that God holds us all in His hands, the born and the unborn. He is indeed in control, and He can bring forgiveness and redemption in greater measure than we can even imagine.

We cannot be complacent in the face of abortion; but when we feel we are losing the battle, we can know that our Lord reigns... even when things look darkest.

In Christ, -Cloy

SLStrohkirch said:
Cloy,

The problem I have is that these babies will never have the opportunity to be baptized and yet the parent has the opportunity to let them be born and have the opportunity. Indeed we are putting their salvation into God's grace, but the baby could be allowed to be born and put up for adoption as Dan suggests and at least have the opportunity for Baptism. THis is unlike a situation in which a child has been stillborn and there was absolutely no opportunity for the child.

How do we know that because the child was aborted that it didn't get thrown into eternal damnation on account of it's parents decision to abort?

Baptism saves and if we cut off their ability to get baptized because of our sinful desire to keep it from being born physically it also won't have the opportunity be born spiritually as well.

Their blood like that of Abel cries out to God from trash bags in the operating room and the Doctor replies. "Who am I? my brothers keeper"

It saddens God and it should outrage us that abortion is allowed at all with this in mind. The mother can ask for and receive forgiveness for her actions, but the baby is still born into sin. The mother has lived her life, let the baby have a chance to live it's life. Any mother worth her salt would rather that the baby live over and above her own.

Reactions: Protoevangel
Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Unfortunately, we live in a culture that tells women that unborn babies are not really people. Our fight isn't against the poor women that have been fooled into thinking that what they do isn't really murder; and believe it or not, it isn't even against the "doctors" who do the dirty deeds. The real fight is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places (Ephesians 6:12). Or as Eugene Peterson puts it in "The Message", "This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels".

Upvote 0

ctobola

Sep 30, 2004
Fargo
✟562.00
Faith
Lutheran
Dan,

I agree -- and for a scared teenage girl who is pregnant and afraid to tell her parents, an abortion sounds like an easy out.

I do think that many abortion doctors are in it for the money -- there's big bucks in running an abortion clinic. Run through dozen girls a day at $500 and you're taking about serious money. That brings to mind the theme of most of the minor prophets -- the rich and powerful oppressing the poor and hopeless.

-Cloy

DanHead said:
Unfortunately, we live in a culture that tells women that unborn babies are not really people. Our fight isn't against the poor women that have been fooled into thinking that what they do isn't really murder; and believe it or not, it isn't even against the "doctors" who do the dirty deeds. The real fight is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places (Ephesians 6:12). Or as Eugene Peterson puts it in "The Message", "This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels".

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟22,990.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A loving God wouldn't condemn someone to hell because of absolutely no fault of their own.

"You were aborted. Not your choice, but you couldn't be baptized... I now therefore must send you to hell because you decided not to fight the abortion hard enough."

Not the loving God Scripture shows me.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
AngelusSax said:
A loving God wouldn't condemn someone to hell because of absolutely no fault of their own.

"You were aborted. Not your choice, but you couldn't be baptized... I now therefore must send you to hell because you decided not to fight the abortion hard enough."

Not the loving God Scripture shows me.

THe loving God is also a just God and by the Parents action of aborting he would have every right to condemn them. Perhaps if people had the understanding that the child they were aborting was going to hell because of the abortion that there would be less abortions.

I didn't say that he would, but that he has the right to do it because he is God. We know he is not a capricious God, but a merciful one so we know that there is a good chance that he won't condemn the aborted children, but we have to rely on his grace for this. We have no assurance that these babies that were not given the opportunity to be baptized will be allowed to heaven.

that is what I am saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟22,990.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THe loving God is also a just God and by the Parents action of aborting he would have every right to condemn them.

What kind of Justice is it to condemn a person to hell because of someone else's actions? A very perverse and anti-Godly justice.

Obviously God can do anything he wants. But I don't believe he wants to send aborted babies to hell, since they were never given a chance to stop rejecting Him.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
AngelusSax said:
What kind of Justice is it to condemn a person to hell because of someone else's actions? A very perverse and anti-Godly justice.

Obviously God can do anything he wants. But I don't believe he wants to send aborted babies to hell, since they were never given a chance to stop rejecting Him.
Hi Angelus,

The point is, it would not be because of the parent's actions. We are all sinners and deserve Hell, from the moment of our conception, it is only because of God's good and superabundant grace that any are saved. I don't understand it perfectly either, we can only understand in small part. Only God knows perfectly, and only God knows what is truly Just. That is why it is so important to walk by faith and not by sight, and to not lean to our own understanding. The fact is, we do not know the fate of the little ones (we can still hope... and we should), but we do know that we are called to defend the lives of the helpless.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
AngelusSax said:

I wasn't saying he would do that, but saying that he would have every right to do it. We honestly don't know the spiritual ramifications of this, but are the parents of this aborted baby repentant? There are many times that the father doesn't even know that the child was aborted until after it was completed.

To me it is Murder. I don't care what anyone thinks about womens rights to their own bodies. Women are God's creation so therefore their life is his gift to them and their bodies are created for the purpose of bearing children. I don't think it is right for any man to violate them by rape, but they compound the problem by aborting any child conceived in that violation.

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟22,990.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wasn't saying he would do that, but saying that he would have every right to do it. We honestly don't know the spiritual ramifications of this, but are the parents of this aborted baby repentant? There are many times that the father doesn't even know that the child was aborted until after it was completed.

Ah, good. Yes, I agree he would have the right to do that, as he's God... he's got the right to do anything he wants. He can make time flow in reverse if he wants to.

I think we're in agreement then.

Upvote 0

cableguy

May 25, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
Visit site
✟389.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay. Looks like most people think it's right under certain circumstances...a bit of a loaded poll. It sounds like everyone who responded agrees that the casual abortion that happens in this country is wrong. It also sounds like a lot of you aren't quite onboard with what the ELCA Social Statement on Abortion states.

So why aren't we more up in arms about this issue? If we really believe innocent life is being taken away in this country at an alarming rate in the form of abortion that is not life threatening for the mother, is it not our responsibility to stand up for that innocence?

I'm not a bomb thrower by any means, but that ELCA social statement is an abomination.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.