a question about marriag/ divorce

spiritsoul37

Jul 30, 2012
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm wondering if a person was married in civil ceremony I.e. as a member of no church at all at court, then divorced, would they then if they wanted to become RC would they need annulment to marry in the church, as what they had prior was more legality than done as sacrament? I'm asking as a non Catholic who really is just curious.

S

SpiritualAntiseptic

I'm wondering if a person was married in civil ceremony I.e. as a member of no church at all at court, then divorced, would they then if they wanted to become RC would they need annulment to marry in the church, as what they had prior was more legality than done as sacrament? I'm asking as a non Catholic who really is just curious.

If the person joined the Catholic Church after remarrying, there was be an assumption of a natural marriage bond. If the Catholic wanted a divorce, then an annulment would be needed, basically saying that the marriage was never valid. If the other party wanted a divorce, then the Pauline privilege could be used. This involves a non-baptized person who becomes baptized in marriage remarrying assuming their spouse left them. If said person was already baptized, the Petrine privilege could be invoked, which allows the Pope to dissolve said natural marriage in favor of a sacramental one.

Upvote 0