Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,489,712.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And in the context of that, fine, but even those bylaws are overseen by secular law.
Only if they conflict with secular law. And sometimes secular law makes allowances even for that (such as the Native American use of peyote).

The secular law doesn't prosecute gossip, but scripture certainly makes clear gossiping is not to be permitted in the congregation. The law does not prohibit alcohol, but many congregations proscribe it. The law does not require baptism, but many congregations do for membership.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only if they conflict with secular law. And sometimes secular law makes allowances even for that (such as the Native American use of peyote).
Which means that secular law overrides religious or organizational bylaws.
The secular law doesn't prosecute gossip, but scripture certainly makes clear gossiping is not to be permitted in the congregation. The law does not prohibit alcohol, but many congregations proscribe it. The law does not require baptism, but many congregations do for membership.
Yes, but people who drink, gossip, or fail to become baptized are breaking a social or religious law. And even then, they don’t take the posts made here or on Reddit that show transgressions, write an expose, publish it in a paper multiple times, and deride and shame the people who do it. In fact, the “it’s a private matter we are dealing with internally” is an often quoted phrase.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟377,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is that similar to a person from Mongolia telling someone from the usa how to govern concerning the law-breakers? Each country has its own laws and governs itself, supposedly at least. (the world government might be much more involved than we know)...
Likewise each church has its own rules, some in line with Scripture, some not.
If a church leader is breaking civil law, shouldn’t it be reported?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,489,712.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which means that secular law overrides religious or organizational bylaws.
It means they don't override out of silence. Where a secular law is silent, an organizational law can be in force.
Yes, but people who drink, gossip, or fail to become baptized are breaking a social or religious law. And even then, they don’t take the posts made here or on Reddit that show transgressions, write an expose, publish it in a paper multiple times, and deride and shame the people who do it. In fact, the “it’s a private matter we are dealing with internally” is an often quoted phrase.
Most the conversation here, I believe, has been about sin by church leaders being made known to the congregation, not being published in the media.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
You didn’t repeat my own words. I never said anything like “Christians aren't interested in modeling the behaviors of the Righteous, Pure, and Holy. They more exemplify the behaviors of those who are controlled by their original Sinful Nature (that has yet to be cut out by Christ)” when referring to my beliefs or spirituality. That was all you.

Rabbit-hole conversations. This stuff just goes on, and on, and on, and on.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
My opinion is that you are rude. Note that and welcome to my ignore lisr.

There's never a shortage of rude people at Christian websites, is there? You've got my support. :)

Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
So you believe being rude to someone who is rude is rude, and/or that it is right or wrong to note something hoping to quiet down an error ? Or is it every right or even allowed to not allow poster's sins to remain private/ unknown/ undisclosed? I thought it better not to disclose obvious or hidden sins when it was not time to do so ....

Rabbit-hole conversations. They just go on, and on, and on, and on. There is never a shortage of contentious spirits on Christian websites.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,489,712.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's never a shortage of rude people at Christian websites, is there? You've got my support. :)
People who grossly misconstrue the remarks of others are especially rude.

• Agree
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
People who grossly misconstrue the remarks of others are especially rude.

And the rabbit-hole conversations and conflict never stops. People just have to get in that last jab. Just one more jab to try to harm a person's self-perception. Jab after jab, after jab after jab. It just never stops.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟766,575.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I have read two news articles about pastors who have had sins brought to the public eye. Both pastors are were upset that their sins came out, one is suing is because of it. Should a pastor's sin remain private?
I think the congregation has the need to know the moral standing of the person presenting God to them They need to know so that they can make their own decisions on continuing their church attendance, or to go elsewhere.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,489,712.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the congregation has the need to know the moral standing of the person presenting God to them They need to know so that they can make their own decisions on continuing their church attendance, or to go elsewhere.
Yes, particularly because the Church is instructed about their congregational leaders:

Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account..." Hebrews 13

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rabbit-hole conversations. This stuff just goes on, and on, and on, and on.
So you’re not going to be accountable for making judgments about me, then misrepresenting me, my beliefs, and comments by saying you only said what I said after clearly being shown you did not…

Interesting.

Again, another reason I’m not going to laymen religious peers over the law to settle lawsuits.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
So you’re not going to be accountable for making judgments about me, then misrepresenting me, my beliefs, and comments by saying you only said what I said after clearly being shown you did not…

Interesting.

Again, another reason I’m not going to laymen religious peers over the law to settle lawsuits.

If you choose to continue to harass me, I will be forced to place you on the Ignore List. Please stop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all sin but we don't all lead churches.

If one chooses to take the responsibility of leading a church, they must also lead by example and be held to the highest standard.

This means admitting when you messed up, in front of the people you lead, God etc and accepting whatever judgment is given as a result.

This would even apply in managerial positions at work, politicians etc.

No different here.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you choose to continue to harass me, I will be forced to place you on the Ignore List. Please stop.
LoL, harassing you? Oh brother. You judged me, my faith, and then tried to gaslight me, then you played victim when I pointed it out. LoL, whatever dude. Go ahead and block me. Your loss is absolutely my gain.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We all sin but we don't all lead churches.

If one chooses to take the responsibility of leading a church, they must also lead by example and be held to the highest standard.

This means admitting when you messed up, in front of the people you lead, God etc and accepting whatever judgment is given as a result.

This would even apply in managerial positions at work, politicians etc.

No different here.
If your employer is leaking information to the press about your private life so that you can have two expose hit pieces written about you In the paper, then demands you answer do it publicly (like what happened in the OPs examples) please find a new job.

In fact, if your employer is having you answer publicly and in front of the company for private, perfectly legal behavior, find another job.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If your employer is leaking information to the press so that you can have two expose hit pieces written about you In the paper, like what happened in the OPs examples, please find a new job.
Perks and risks come with leadership.

I think someone once said, "Life is hard. Get a helmet."

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟199,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perks and risks come with leadership.

I think someone once said, "Life is hard. Get a helmet."
Well, how astute. Life is hard, so if an employer wants you publicly flogged for what you do in your off hours (even though it’s legal)… Shrug… It’s life.

If you think that’s life, demand better from the people around you and for yourself. Your standards are too low.

Upvote 0