Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found this on another site.... I liked it, and thought I would share:

The Other Twenty-Seven Fundamentals

By Chris Blake
(June 9, 2003)

Fundamentally, pride is the first sin, the worst sin. Nothing on earth is so universally hated.

Yet many Seventh-day Adventists have not grasped one reason for Christ?s sacrifice?to make us humble and thus teachable. The core of humility is a genuine recognition of reality. Those who remain haughty and exclusive become unfit for the new earth; in essence, they have not accepted the Messiah?s sacrifice.

Walking humbly with God requires asking in clear, ringing tones for forgiveness. As a corporate body, our church has at times transgressed God?s will. The following prayer is an appeal for integrity and reformation.

Merciful God, forgive us.

1. Forgive us for ignoring, downplaying, and airbrushing our flaws and deficiencies when we should be transparently honest.

2. Forgive us for talking to ourselves, becoming absorbed in Adventist " triumphalism" while a dying world wanders into oblivion.

3. Forgive us for our morbid craving for controversy, for the resulting stupid, senseless disputes, and for those lives we have wrecked in the process.

4. Forgive us for not understanding that it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth.

5. Forgive us for ever placing the word but after the phrase, "You are saved through Jesus Christ."

6. Forgive us for shrinking away from emotionalism until we have de facto diminished the role of the Holy Spirit.

7. Forgive us for prohibiting smoking and drinking in our schools more than we have prohibited meanness.

8. Forgive us for saying we renounce the world, and then acting like a panting puppy when the world tosses us some attention.

9. Forgive us for talking about you in place of experiencing you, for preferring the menu to the meal.

10. Forgive us for receiving mystery and imagination and wonder only to suction the life out until we are left with dates and how-to formulas and slogans.

11. Forgive us for believing that the Adventist Church posses all truth, so that we don?t need to learn from others, thus making ourselves inflexible, brittle, and narrow-minded.

12. Forgive us for emphasizing personal morality while overlooking wider social and organizational sins.

13. Forgive us for egregiously mistreating women and minorities.

14. Forgive us for making Sabbath mornings the most racially segregated hours of the week.

15. Forgive us for our paralyzing emphases on program and performance until our Sabbath schools and church services are as flat as road kill at rush hour.

16. Forgive us for contending that you value most the praise of words and music on Sabbath, when instead you value most the praise of selfless, loving acts during the week.

17. Forgive us for using institutional rigidness to crush hopeful creativity and helpful dissent.

18. Forgive us for placating church bullies, while our weaker brethren?our youth and young adults?leave, squashed and disillusioned and angry, never to return.

19. Forgive us for treating singles and public school students as second-class members.

20. Forgive us for officially encouraging individuality of thought but in actual practice rewarding unquestioning conformity.

21. Forgive us for confusing indoctrination with education, mistaking what to think for how to think.

22. Forgive us for suggesting that all movement to music is evil, when in fact some movement can build community, health, and innocent joy.

23. Forgive us for turning countless people away from you through willful insistence on peripheral matters of personal taste.

24. Forgive us for not showing our children that following you is the most creative, sensible, fearless, freeing, fun adventure in the world.

25. Forgive us for keeping close track of people coming in but not of the people going out.

26. Forgive us for succumbing to negativity and cynicism instead of living gratefully with defiant optimism.

27. Forgive us for not praying and loving more.

Help us to start afresh, to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly, forever and ever.

We ask this in Jesus' name, amen.

© 2003 Spectrum/AAF

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PaleHorse said:
Those 27 don't look much like beliefs, rather more of a prayer of forgiveness. Which isn't a bad thing of course, but not much to build a full, sustaining doctrine upon.
I don't recall reading where it was suggested that these be something upon which doctrine is founded or sustained... however I could be wrong.... maybe I missed something in the reading.....

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cliff2 said:
I wonder if he is the same Chris Blake who came to the South Queensland Camp (Australia) a few years ago and tried to get people up on stage on the first Friday night to try out his new way of dancing.

It did not go down to well with many of the people there. He also had some very liberal concepts on Sabbath keeping. They went down even worse that his attempts to get people to dance on Friday night.

Truth is truth regardless of who says it... the other issues raised are side issues, unless by citing them the suggestion is being made that whatever this person said should be discounted....

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SassySDA said:
It probably is, Cliff. I'm glad it "didn't go over too well".

This is just more "proof" if you will of his dissension with the Seventh-day Adventist church. If he feels these "27 Fundamental Beliefs" would be an improvement...he's attending the wrong church.

If I were that miserable, I don't know what I would do with myself.

People have to find their own path, and follow where they believe God is leading them... thus it is between them and God.... Even more so since the brother in question is not here to defend or explain his position... Consequently, since you have indicated that you are not miserable, and have not indicated that you are attempting to minister to a brother that you feel is miserable, your point would be?

Psa 15:1-3
Who may stay in God's temple or live on the holy mountain of the LORD? (2) Only those who obey God and do as they should. They speak the truth (3) and don't spread gossip; they treat others fairly and don't say cruel things.

Upvote 0

BondGirl

Oct 15, 2005
On the edge of Whoville - home of the best "Who-Ha
✟15,332.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
...took it as a "good read" - not something "asking" for a change of the Beliefs - (That many don't follow anyway...)

:doh:

HoneyDew said:
*sigh*

There we go again with the knee-jerk reactions.

Is there no way one could glean an ounce of truth from the posting? I really did not see where there is even a hint of the suggestion by the author that these somehow replace the original 27. If I have missed it I would love for someone to point it out to me.

2 Timothy 3:5

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat On^

SDA members,

The Reformed area is for Reformed SDA members only. Note the "Purpose" statement at the top of the page. We will not allow Traditional SDAs to post anything but Fellowship as outlined in this sticky thread and question asking.

Because so many Traditional SDAs posted in this thread, I moved the OP and the Traditional replies to the Traditional SDA forum. This will not be a common practice. Future actions will result in normal actions per the rules and any other rule breech. Please respect the divisions here and report any Traditional posters replying over here as well.

Thank you,
daveleau
CF Staff

Mod Hat Off^

Upvote 0

Seraph1m

Oct 12, 2005
In His Presence
✟15,634.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
StormyOne, this is a rather beautiful prayer. It makes me sad that the point of this prayer has been missed by so many. I am blessed that you shared it with us. Thank you

Peace

StormyOne said:
I found this on another site.... I liked it, and thought I would share:

The Other Twenty-Seven Fundamentals

By Chris Blake
(June 9, 2003)

Fundamentally, pride is the first sin, the worst sin. Nothing on earth is so universally hated.

Yet many Seventh-day Adventists have not grasped one reason for Christ?s sacrifice?to make us humble and thus teachable. The core of humility is a genuine recognition of reality. Those who remain haughty and exclusive become unfit for the new earth; in essence, they have not accepted the Messiah?s sacrifice.

Walking humbly with God requires asking in clear, ringing tones for forgiveness. As a corporate body, our church has at times transgressed God?s will. The following prayer is an appeal for integrity and reformation.

Merciful God, forgive us.

1. Forgive us for ignoring, downplaying, and airbrushing our flaws and deficiencies when we should be transparently honest.

2. Forgive us for talking to ourselves, becoming absorbed in Adventist " triumphalism" while a dying world wanders into oblivion.

3. Forgive us for our morbid craving for controversy, for the resulting stupid, senseless disputes, and for those lives we have wrecked in the process.

4. Forgive us for not understanding that it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth.

5. Forgive us for ever placing the word but after the phrase, "You are saved through Jesus Christ."

6. Forgive us for shrinking away from emotionalism until we have de facto diminished the role of the Holy Spirit.

7. Forgive us for prohibiting smoking and drinking in our schools more than we have prohibited meanness.

8. Forgive us for saying we renounce the world, and then acting like a panting puppy when the world tosses us some attention.

9. Forgive us for talking about you in place of experiencing you, for preferring the menu to the meal.

10. Forgive us for receiving mystery and imagination and wonder only to suction the life out until we are left with dates and how-to formulas and slogans.

11. Forgive us for believing that the Adventist Church posses all truth, so that we don?t need to learn from others, thus making ourselves inflexible, brittle, and narrow-minded.

12. Forgive us for emphasizing personal morality while overlooking wider social and organizational sins.

13. Forgive us for egregiously mistreating women and minorities.

14. Forgive us for making Sabbath mornings the most racially segregated hours of the week.

15. Forgive us for our paralyzing emphases on program and performance until our Sabbath schools and church services are as flat as road kill at rush hour.

16. Forgive us for contending that you value most the praise of words and music on Sabbath, when instead you value most the praise of selfless, loving acts during the week.

17. Forgive us for using institutional rigidness to crush hopeful creativity and helpful dissent.

18. Forgive us for placating church bullies, while our weaker brethren?our youth and young adults?leave, squashed and disillusioned and angry, never to return.

19. Forgive us for treating singles and public school students as second-class members.

20. Forgive us for officially encouraging individuality of thought but in actual practice rewarding unquestioning conformity.

21. Forgive us for confusing indoctrination with education, mistaking what to think for how to think.

22. Forgive us for suggesting that all movement to music is evil, when in fact some movement can build community, health, and innocent joy.

23. Forgive us for turning countless people away from you through willful insistence on peripheral matters of personal taste.

24. Forgive us for not showing our children that following you is the most creative, sensible, fearless, freeing, fun adventure in the world.

25. Forgive us for keeping close track of people coming in but not of the people going out.

26. Forgive us for succumbing to negativity and cynicism instead of living gratefully with defiant optimism.

27. Forgive us for not praying and loving more.

Help us to start afresh, to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly, forever and ever.

We ask this in Jesus' name, amen.

© 2003 Spectrum/AAF

Upvote 0

SnowBird77

Oct 16, 2005
✟300.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Seraph1m said:
StormyOne, this is a rather beautiful prayer. It makes me sad that the point of this prayer has been missed by so many. I am blessed that you shared it with us. Thank you

Peace
When Christ was doing what was good His enemies found a way to find evil in it. He was so sad that He wept. May we all be brought gently to the path of forgiveness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Seraph1m

Oct 12, 2005
In His Presence
✟15,634.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
moicherie said:
It would be good if this was promoted as much as the official 28. BTW He needs to add a 28th. Maybe we could come up with one? I'll go first...

28th. Forgive us for thinking the first 27 is not relevant to us
I believe the next to last line would work just as well:

Upvote 0