✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Skripper said:
108 Still, the Christian faith is not a "religion of the book." Christianity is the religion of the "Word" of God, a word which is "not a written and mute word, but the Word is incarnate and living".73 If the Scriptures are not to remain a dead letter, Christ, the eternal Word of the living God, must, through the Holy Spirit, "open [our] minds to understand the Scriptures."74 …The Second Vatican Council indicates three criteria for interpreting Scripture in accordance with the Spirit who inspired it.78

112 1. Be especially attentive "to the content and unity of the whole Scripture". … 2. Read the Scripture within "the living Tradition of the whole Church". … 3. Be attentive to the analogy of faith.82 By "analogy of faith" we mean the coherence of the truths of faith among themselves and within the whole plan of Revelation.

I especially like this, because this is where many folks take a wrong turn, drive off a cliff and enter a free-fall when trying to interpret Scripture; they take it out of context. The proper context, as the CCC states, is threefold:

(1) Within the context of the whole Bible (which would include both the immediate context of any given passage, in conjunction with the overall context of the entire Bible); (2) Within the living tradition of the whole Church (i.e., within the parameters of orthodoxy; within the parameters of the teachings of the Cathoilc Church, through whence Scripture came) and (3) within the context of God's whole plan of Revelation.

Too many people drop the ball here, wrenching verses out of context and attaching a foreign meaning to them (to promote some theology they want to believe) that is wholly out of context of either the entire Bible or the living Tradition of the Church, or both, and God's whole plan of Revelation (and salvation).

Reactions: Rising_Suns
Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
kimber1 said:
i noiced too the 3 thing going on ;) there's a lot of that in the Bible and in explanation of it isn't there?

i think too this is where the problem lies as a whole wiht other denoms. they rely fully on themselves for interpretation rather than the Church who is protected by the Holy Spirit. i just don't see why people would wish to do that.. well besides pride but that's another thread
;)

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Skripper said:
It's usually an "authority" issue, Kimber; people frequently rebel against authority, especially religious authority. Once all the smoke is cleared away it almost always boils down to authority. People want it for themselves, on an individual basis. More often than not, that's all there is to it. And, too frequently, what is often at the root of that is some form of pride: "I can do it myself!" Kind of in a way reminds me of my kids when they were very young. :)

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
kimber1 said:
127 The fourfold Gospel holds a unique place in the Church, as is evident both in the veneration which the liturgy accords it and in the surpassing attraction it has exercised on the saints at all times: There is no doctrine which could be better, more precious and more splendid than the text of the Gospel. Behold and retain what our Lord and Master, Christ, has taught by his words and accomplished by his deeds.102 But above all it's the gospels that occupy my mind when I'm at prayer; my poor soul has so many needs, and yet this is the one thing needful. I'm always finding fresh lights there; hidden meanings which had meant nothing to me hitherto.103

you know i had never realized till midnight Mass just how special a place the Church holds the gospels. i think it's quite refreshing to have these considered so important as they were Jesus words Himself and His ministry. i had never encountered that before :)

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
KennySe said:
quot-top-left.gif
Quote:
quot-top-right.gif
quot-top-right-10.gif
Early Christian catechesis made constant use of the Old Testament. As an old saying put it,
the New Testament lies hidden in the Old and the Old Testament is unveiled in the New.
quot-bot-left.gif
quot-bot-right.gif

I really like that old saying.

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Skripper said:
quot-top-left.gif
Quote:
quot-top-right.gif
quot-by-left.gif
Originally Posted by: kimber1
quot-by-right.gif
quot-top-right-10.gif
you know i had never realized till midnight Mass just how special a place the Church holds the gospels. i think it's quite refreshing to have these considered so important as they were Jesus words Himself and His ministry. i had never encountered that before :)
quot-bot-left.gif
quot-bot-right.gif

In the sense of her reverence for the sacred Word, the Catholic Church, (contrary to some accusations), is the most "Bible-believing" of all churches. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.