Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
These folks confessional Lutheran?

www.1517.org

The Gottesdienst Crowd did an episode about the contributors and their lack of details on their backgrounds. It looks like they are broad Protestant but not really confessional Lutheran. One of their Fellows an affair on his wife, not sure how that shakes out...

Gerhard Forde confessional?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟111,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some are and some are not. However, anyone with an ounce of confessionalism will know the difference.

By far and I mean by far, this four hour lecture series on the five views on the Election/Predestination controversy is just excellent. Pastor is an expert here. Deals with Lutheranism, Orthodox, Calvinism, Arminianism, and Karl Barth. Interesting to note, all four have problems with Calvin. You might ask about Luther...Luther reacts against Augustine and so his criticisms against Augustine are also a criticism against Calvin.

Enjoy....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-4kAigS_sc&t=7s

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,029.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Some are and some are not. However, anyone with an ounce of confessionalism will know the difference.

By far and I mean by far, this four hour lecture series on the five views on the Election/Predestination controversy is just excellent. Pastor is an expert here. Deals with Lutheranism, Orthodox, Calvinism, Arminianism, and Karl Barth. Interesting to note, all four have problems with Calvin. You might ask about Luther...Luther reacts against Augustine and so his criticisms against Augustine are also a criticism against Calvin.

I would tend to agree that a Confessional Luther would know but since I'm still very new to Lutheranism and really don't want to waste my time on resources that are not in line with the Lutheran Symbols.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟111,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would tend to agree that a Confessional Luther would know but since I'm still very new to Lutheranism and really don't want to waste my time on resources that are not in line with the Lutheran Symbols.
Yeap. Gerhard Forde has problems. Gospel reductionism.

You can look each author up on the ELCA or LCMS websites and use the roster/directories to determine where they are pastors or professors.

John Warwick Montgomery has his apologetic lifetime series there. Christianity on Trial....worth checking out. His material is always good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,029.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Yeap. Gerhard Forde has problems. Gospel reductionism.

You can look each author up on the ELCA or LCMS websites and use the roster/directories to determine where they are pastors or professors.

John Warwick Montgomery has his apologetic series there. Christianity on Trial....worth checking out. His material is always good.
When I'm done with catechesis I believe we are moving to that series.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟413,443.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As far as I know, I think they have some decent apologetics, but they don't claim to be Confessional Lutheran. Prof. Montgomery is confessional, but Paulson certainly isn't. They have others from other church bodies as well.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟48,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
most are confessional; the only one questionable is Paulson and Forde and even still/ They seem to be adding more and more lcms people. a few of them I know in person. But even if not confessional there are some scholars who are still "Lutheran" but not confessional. I know that Paulson did his dissertation on Eberhard Jungel who was considered un-confessional. I don't have a phD so it's hard to know what exactly is wrong about so and so's theology when you can't analyze it yourself. Just take everything with a grain of salt, think for yourself, even for the ones who seem to be a shoo-in like Hermann Sasse (he's kinda my fav though )

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟48,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟111,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
but the "confessional" question is still open on whether one can be a Barthian Lutheran.
There are a number of excellent articles on the internet critiquing Barth. They don't take a PhD to understanding them. It is very possible to be influenced by Barth's neo-Orthodoxy without being a full blown Barthian. Barth rejected infant baptism (even though he was Reformed).

To be Lutheran is real simple: To be a confessor of the Augsburg Confession. Barth would have numerous disagreements with the AC along with all the other Lutheran symbols in the Book of Concord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟48,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are a number of excellent articles on the internet critiquing Barth. They don't take a PhD to understanding them. It is very possible to be influenced by Barth's neo-Orthodoxy without being a full blown Barthian. Barth rejected infant baptism (even though he was Reformed).

To be Lutheran is real simple: To be a confessor of the Augsburg Confession. Barth would have numerous disagreements with the AC along with all the other Lutheran symbols in the Book of Concord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟111,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
he "confessional" question is still open on whether one can be a Barthian Lutheran.
YOU QUERIED whether one could be a Barthian Lutheran. I never said you were. This comes out of wide imagination.
People like you are so dense, that you have to be told this so explicitly as I'm doing here to get this message across.
Don't you dare call me dense. You this again I will report you! In fact....I am going to hit the ignore button on your account so I don't have to deal with you again.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟48,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
YOU QUERIED whether one could be a Barthian Lutheran. I never said you were. This comes out of wide imagination.

Don't you dare call me dense. You this again I will report you! In fact....I am going to hit the ignore button on your account so I don't have to deal with you again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0