Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Local food phenom Katie Parla shares her top spots to try carbonara, pizza rossa, crispy rice fritters, and more.

People have been writing about Romefor more than two millennia, which means visitors have wanted to know what to eat there for at least as long. I’ve only been at it for 20 years, but in that time I’ve devoted my life to Roman food through writing cookbooks, hosting and participating in TV shows, and leading small-group food tours.
Things have come a long way from the ostrich stew and flamingo tongues that graced ancient noble tables—indeed, many of the dishes we eat in Rome today developed during the 20th century as a reflection of local agriculture, migration, and national unification. Even so, many quintessential cucina romana ingredients—like sheep’s milk cheese, guanciale, offal, and mint—were beloved by the ancients, even if they’re used in different ways today. Staples such as tomatoes, black pepper (then a fabulously expensive spice), and dried pasta, on the other hand, are completely modern.
What follows is by no means an exhaustive list of Roman specialties. That would fill an entire volume. (Take it from me—I’m currently writing a cookbook on the subject.) To eat like a Roman, you’ll want to hit up street food spots for supplì, bakeries for pizza rossa, and trattorias for dishes like rigatoni con la pajata and trippa alla romana. Whether you’ve been to Rome a dozen times or are brand new to the city, these are the essential spots to keep on your radar.

Continued below.