• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

“The bed is falling under me”

Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone heard a child say, “I feel the bed is falling under me”? My son sleeps on the top of a bunk bed, and recently he told me that he felt the bed was “falling under him”. If he would have said that he feels he is falling off the bed, it would have been easier to understand, but I am having a hard time understanding the way he said it (“I feel the bed is falling under me”).

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does he have a fear of heights?

(I have had dreams like that where I fell after the bed and landed [hard] in it.)

If it persists, you may want to have his ears checked.
(They can effect his equilibrioception [sense of balance].)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone heard a child say, “I feel the bed is falling under me”? My son sleeps on the top of a bunk bed, and recently he told me that he felt the bed was “falling under him”. If he would have said that he feels he is falling off the bed, it would have been easier to understand, but I am having a hard time understanding the way he said it (“I feel the bed is falling under me”).

That is likely "The falling dream" and a majority of people experience it. But not all.
As people "end" a dream and start to wake they experience "falling" just as they wake up. For me, it was always a soft landing.

Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve had falling dreams before. They’re scary! Especially when you’re younger and don’t know what they are. Also, sometimes you can have the sensation of falling after riding on rides like a rollercoaster or fast water slide, or if something has happened to the ears or brain. When I had a concussion, I felt like I was falling when I closed my eyes. I would check his bed to make sure that there was nothing wrong with it and to reassure him, and maybe take him to a doctor if the problem happens regularly.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Is there room in the bedroom to separate the beds, so that both could be on ground level? That would answer the question, and provide him with extra security while he slept.

Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Cannock Chase, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟784,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Sounds to me like a myoclinic jerk that happens to some people as they start to fall asleep. The theory is that as they start to enter sleep,the muscles become relaxed, but the brain confuses this light sleep with wakefulness and causes the muscles to respond inducing the sensation of falling and jolting.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟710,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I have a horrific fear of heights (it's my only fear and it's paralyzing for me) and I can understand your son's statement... So maybe his sensation is somehow a combination between a real fear, and the confusion of sleep verses wakefulness when you're first asleep.

When fear strikes, if it's actually a fear of heights, he's probably becoming dizzy and feeling like he might pass out... That's confusing for a child as to what is causing various sensations, and he may be unable to articulate the problem well, as well as being unable to understand it himself.

Try getting his bed to ground level (stop putting him on the top bunk) and as another suggested get his ears checked out.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since he is younger one—and therefore not as tall—it is easier for him to go up, and he always enjoyed sleeping on the top. He has slept a few times in the bottom, but he has always taken the top because he wanted it. What could have changed so drastically that all of a sudden he now has a fear of being on the top bunk? Second, I am not sure I understand what you mean by “confusion of sleep versus wakefulness when you’re first asleep”. Can you tell me more about this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there room in the bedroom to separate the beds, so that both could be on ground level? That would answer the question, and provide him with extra security while he slept.

Before getting the bunk beds, they used to have separate beds, and actually these beds are still in the house, stashed nicely piece by piece under their bunk beds. Since we have acquired the bunk beds, however, there were other modifications made to the room, and at this point, it would be hard to change again—not impossible, but hard, since some of the changes were made to accommodate the older boy, who is 15.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He has slept a few times in the bottom, but he has always taken the top because he wanted it. What could have changed so drastically that all of a sudden he now has a fear of being on the top bunk?
He may not be afraid of (bunk bed) heights.
It just seemed like the obvious first question.

Is the sensation described in the OP happening frequently?

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds to me like a myoclinic jerk that happens to some people as they start to fall asleep. The theory is that as they start to enter sleep,the muscles become relaxed, but the brain confuses this light sleep with wakefulness and causes the muscles to respond inducing the sensation of falling and jolting.

How do myoclonic jerks develop? I mean, why would the brain all of a sudden start behaving differently? This is not something he used to have. He first told me about this only recently. He always used to sleep well.

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He may not be afraid of (bunk bed) heights.
It just seemed like the obvious first question.

Is the sensation described in the OP happening frequently?

When he first told me about it, i had the impression it was something frequent. Two or three days ago I asked him if he still has that impression, and he said that he does not have the impression as much.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does he have a fear of heights?

(I have had dreams like that where I fell after the bed and landed [hard] in it.)

If it persists, you may want to have his ears checked.
(They can effect his equilibrioception [sense of balance].)

Could depression affect the ears or any other organs which have to do with the senses? (Or I should say, could depression affect the senses?) One thing I have noticed in myself after losing sleep over the relationship with my wife was that my ears all of a sudden started to ring. Ringing ears is another thing my son has complained about. He said that it is not continuous, but sometimes he has ringing in the ears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jul 15, 2021
Fort Myers
✟18,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could depression affect the ears or any other organs which have to do with the senses? (Or I should say, could depression affect the senses?) One thing I have noticed in myself after losing sleep over the relationship with my wife was that my ears all of a sudden started to ring. Ringing ears is another thing my son has complained about. He said that it is not continuous, but sometimes he has ringing in the ears.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟971,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could depression affect the ears or any other organs which have to do with the senses? (Or I should say, could depression affect the senses?)
I am not sure how, but I am not a doctor.
One thing I have noticed in myself after losing sleep over the relationship with my wife was that my ears all of a sudden started to ring. Ringing ears is another thing my son has complained about. He said that it is not continuous, but sometimes he has ringing in the ears.
All the more reason to have his (and your) ears checked.

Upvote 0