Writing a Christian Post Apocalyptic World for a Book or other Media that isn't about the Rapture

jacob.austin

WE NEED GREAT CHRISTIAN ANIMATION AGAIN!
Apr 9, 2024
Pacific Northwest
✟2,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

I want to see if anyone has any advice for my upcoming project I've been researching for a few days. A Christian Post-Apocalyptic form of media that isn't about the Rapture. Why can't there be a Christian Post-Apocalyptic Book, Movie, TV Series, or other media, that isn't about those left behind or the world after the Rapture. What I'm talking about has only been done once, it seems. The Reliant, with Kevin Sorbo, Mollee Gray, and Brian Bosworth. This was an exceptional movie which had me enthralled with it from the get-go.
Instead of being centered around the Rapture, it was centered around the Social Collapse following Wall Street's collapse, or something to the sort. Sure, there were a few things that could have been better, but I'm not complaining because they were the first ones that stuck their foot out.
We need something as unique as the Fallout Franchise, something as gripping as the Walking Dead. And something that can rival those but bring Christian values that can be expressed as means of the end of days.
For some reason, after the apocalypse happens in all these forms of media, the Christians disappear. Was there some ethical dilemma with the Vaults that Christians didn't like? Or did all the Christians turn into flesh-eating walkers?

Anyway, with the rant out of the way, I'm wondering if anyone out there on Christian Forums wants to give some advice on this?

Here's the Youtube Movie link of The Reliant... you can watch the trailer here too:

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

I want to see if anyone has any advice for my upcoming project I've been researching for a few days. A Christian Post-Apocalyptic form of media that isn't about the Rapture. Why can't there be a Christian Post-Apocalyptic Book, Movie, TV Series, or other media, that isn't about those left behind or the world after the Rapture. What I'm talking about has only been done once, it seems. The Reliant, with Kevin Sorbo, Mollee Gray, and Brian Bosworth. This was an exceptional movie which had me enthralled with it from the get-go.
Instead of being centered around the Rapture, it was centered around the Social Collapse following Wall Street's collapse, or something to the sort. Sure, there were a few things that could have been better, but I'm not complaining because they were the first ones that stuck their foot out.
We need something as unique as the Fallout Franchise, something as gripping as the Walking Dead. And something that can rival those but bring Christian values that can be expressed as means of the end of days.
For some reason, after the apocalypse happens in all these forms of media, the Christians disappear. Was there some ethical dilemma with the Vaults that Christians didn't like? Or did all the Christians turn into flesh-eating walkers?

Anyway, with the rant out of the way, I'm wondering if anyone out there on Christian Forums wants to give some advice on this?

Here's the Youtube Movie link of The Reliant... you can watch the trailer here too:
Hi Jacob, thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas with us on Christian Forums regarding a Christian Post-Apocalyptic project that goes beyond the Rapture theme. I appreciate your enthusiasm and your desire to create something unique and gripping that incorporates Christian values. The absence of Christians in Post-Apocalyptic media is not a new observation, and it's an interesting question to ponder why that is. It's important to remember that media reflects the creators' perspectives and beliefs, and the prevalence of Rapture-centered stories may simply reflect the dominant narrative within the genre, and whatever rakes in the most money sadly.

That being said, there are certainly opportunities for Christian Post-Apocalyptic stories that focus on social collapse, survival, and redemption. Here are a few ideas to consider:

1. Explore the reasons for the social collapse from a Christian perspective. What causes the downfall of society, and how do Christians respond to it? What are the moral dilemmas that arise in such a scenario, and how can Christian values offer solutions or guidance?
2. Showcase the role of faith and community in the face of adversity. How do Christians support each other and maintain their beliefs during a crisis? What are the unique challenges they face, and how can they offer hope and healing to those around them?
3. Incorporate redemptive themes into the narrative. How do the characters grow and change as they navigate the post-apocalyptic world? What opportunities for forgiveness, reconciliation, and renewal arise in such a context?
4. Consider collaboration with Christian writers, producers, or studios to ensure that the project authentically reflects Christian values and perspectives.
5. Be mindful of potential ethical dilemmas or controversial themes, and approach them with sensitivity and nuance.

I hope these ideas provide some food for thought as you move forward with your project. If anyone else has advice or insights to share, please feel free to add them to the conversation. Best of luck on your creative journey, brother. :)

Upvote 0

jacob.austin

Apr 9, 2024
Pacific Northwest
✟2,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Jacob, thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas with us on Christian Forums regarding a Christian Post-Apocalyptic project that goes beyond the Rapture theme. I appreciate your enthusiasm and your desire to create something unique and gripping that incorporates Christian values. The absence of Christians in Post-Apocalyptic media is not a new observation, and it's an interesting question to ponder why that is. It's important to remember that media reflects the creators' perspectives and beliefs, and the prevalence of Rapture-centered stories may simply reflect the dominant narrative within the genre, and whatever rakes in the most money sadly.

That being said, there are certainly opportunities for Christian Post-Apocalyptic stories that focus on social collapse, survival, and redemption. Here are a few ideas to consider:

1. Explore the reasons for the social collapse from a Christian perspective. What causes the downfall of society, and how do Christians respond to it? What are the moral dilemmas that arise in such a scenario, and how can Christian values offer solutions or guidance?
2. Showcase the role of faith and community in the face of adversity. How do Christians support each other and maintain their beliefs during a crisis? What are the unique challenges they face, and how can they offer hope and healing to those around them?
3. Incorporate redemptive themes into the narrative. How do the characters grow and change as they navigate the post-apocalyptic world? What opportunities for forgiveness, reconciliation, and renewal arise in such a context?
4. Consider collaboration with Christian writers, producers, or studios to ensure that the project authentically reflects Christian values and perspectives.
5. Be mindful of potential ethical dilemmas or controversial themes, and approach them with sensitivity and nuance.

I hope these ideas provide some food for thought as you move forward with your project. If anyone else has advice or insights to share, please feel free to add them to the conversation. Best of luck on your creative journey, brother. :)
Thanks for the feedback! It helps a lot! There's always other sub-genres of the Post-Apocalyptic Genre... aliens are definitely out, but a Nuclear Fallout or Social Collapse would do nicely. Jase Robertson, one of the brothers of Duck Dynasty even had the idea of a Christian Zombie-Apocalypse. But, I have a feeling that too many Christians wouldn't think its a good idea; its always a way to witness to others though but I think a 'Christian Zombie Movie would be a little controversial for sure. We just need Unique Christian Post-Apocalypse creations in the media that pushes past the status quo, making a stand in both Christian and Secular worlds.
Its mostly the world-building aspect that takes the longest but I have a feeling that won't be too much of a problem.
The Post-Apocalypse in media can get really trope-y, you're either a Mad Max, Walking Dead, or Fallout ripoff, so you have to make sure to take care of making yours unique versus just another ripoff.
And with that to say, one Rapture movie franchise took the Rapture to the next level. Particularly the Revelation Road Franchise and the upcoming TV Series of that.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the feedback! It helps a lot! There's always other sub-genres of the Post-Apocalyptic Genre... aliens are definitely out, but a Nuclear Fallout or Social Collapse would do nicely. Jase Robertson, one of the brothers of Duck Dynasty even had the idea of a Christian Zombie-Apocalypse. But, I have a feeling that too many Christians wouldn't think its a good idea; its always a way to witness to others though but I think a 'Christian Zombie Movie would be a little controversial for sure. We just need Unique Christian Post-Apocalypse creations in the media that pushes past the status quo, making a stand in both Christian and Secular worlds.
Its mostly the world-building aspect that takes the longest but I have a feeling that won't be too much of a problem.
The Post-Apocalypse in media can get really trope-y, you're either a Mad Max, Walking Dead, or Fallout ripoff, so you have to make sure to take care of making yours unique versus just another ripoff.
And with that to say, one Rapture movie franchise took the Rapture to the next level. Particularly the Revelation Road Franchise and the upcoming TV Series of that.
You are welcome. Be careful of Duck Dynasty, as Phil on the show was racist. I will not post that info here, as this is a Junk Drawer forum. By the way, I stay away from Biblical sci-fi, as it can get a little odd, as you said (such as Left Behind). So, hopefully you can change the face of Biblical sci-fi for the better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,988.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My overview of end-time events follows a hapless American as he seeks just to survive it all:

1. Harvest #1 takes out most of America in a big war with Russia and China. Survivors would need to eventually leave America in order to survive. So they would need to hit the road and flee to Canada and fly somewhere else, like Europe.
2. Harvest #2 (10 years later) takes out most of Europe in a big war with Iran. Survivors would need to eventually leave. A book could follow a survivor from America who fled to Europe only to be caught up against in another nuclear war. This survivor would flee to Paraguay.

At this point the West no longer exists.

3. Harvest #3 (2 years later). A Muslim leader (the Mahdi) rises up. Russia and China are threatening nuclear war again over the destruction of Iran. Our Muslim leader wipes them out in a surprise attack. Our hapless American survivor has to deal with some fallout even in Paraguay. A Muslim Jesus arrives. He seeks to impose Islam on the entire world. The American survivor would flee to the inner jungle of Paraguay and wait for the real Jesus to arrive.

In The Partner by John Grisham, the main character ends up in Ponta Pora, Brazil which is right next to Paraguay. There is also The Testament by John Grisham where the main character ends up in the Pantanal area of Brazil.

Upvote 0

jacob.austin

Apr 9, 2024
Pacific Northwest
✟2,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My overview of end-time events follows a hapless American as he seeks just to survive it all:

1. Harvest #1 takes out most of America in a big war with Russia and China. Survivors would need to eventually leave America in order to survive. So they would need to hit the road and flee to Canada and fly somewhere else, like Europe.
2. Harvest #2 (10 years later) takes out most of Europe in a big war with Iran. Survivors would need to eventually leave. A book could follow a survivor from America who fled to Europe only to be caught up against in another nuclear war. This survivor would flee to Paraguay.

At this point the West no longer exists.

3. Harvest #3 (2 years later). A Muslim leader (the Mahdi) rises up. Russia and China are threatening nuclear war again over the destruction of Iran. Our Muslim leader wipes them out in a surprise attack. Our hapless American survivor has to deal with some fallout even in Paraguay. A Muslim Jesus arrives. He seeks to impose Islam on the entire world. The American survivor would flee to the inner jungle of Paraguay and wait for the real Jesus to arrive.

In The Partner by John Grisham, the main character ends up in Ponta Pora, Brazil which is right next to Paraguay. There is also The Testament by John Grisham where the main character ends up in the Pantanal area of Brazil.
Great idea! You could go the international route kind of like the mod for Fallout 4, Fallout London. Instead of focusing on the West (America) we could focus on the global conflicts and trying to escape all of them with your life! This would probably take the more Nuclear Fallout/Political route. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

I belive a post apocalyptic Christian story should focus on peppers. What better way to test those who have coveted food and resources in order to survive an earth shattering event only to find out that their efforts are ill-conceived, selfish and anti Christian.
Be blessed.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

jacob.austin

Apr 9, 2024
Pacific Northwest
✟2,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are welcome. Be careful of Duck Dynasty, as Phil on the show was racist. I will not post that info here, as this is a Junk Drawer forum. By the way, I stay away from Biblical sci-fi, as it can get a little odd, as you said (such as Left Behind). So, hopefully you can change the face of Biblical sci-fi for the better.
I don't want to get into anything but Phil Robertson is a godly man who raised his family in the ways of the Lord. He just stated his perspective of what he saw and he never saw the mistreatment of black Americans, according to him. I'm sure other people has issues with him and his family (I've heard it from a few people) but I don't see anything wrong with them. I would look into it more if I were you before you make any snap-judgements. But thanks for your warning; I really appreciate it! If you want to talk about it more, I would be happy to outside of this thread anytime. Have a great day!

Upvote 0

jacob.austin

Apr 9, 2024
Pacific Northwest
✟2,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I belive a post apocalyptic Christian story should focus on peppers. What better way to test those who have coveted food and resources in order to survive an earth shattering event only to find out that their efforts are ill-conceived, selfish and anti Christian.
Be blessed.
I agree that some preppers are hoarders and selfish people, but not all of them are! I know some really kind ones that would be willing to lend a helping hand in a situation like, lets say, a Nuclear Fallout as long as it doesn't end with them and their family being shot dead by looters that are the ones who are anti-Christian by their actions and ill-concieved. But I definitely see your point and I'll be thinking about it. Have a great day!

Upvote 0

jacob.austin

Apr 9, 2024
Pacific Northwest
✟2,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also want to point out that many secular Post-Apocalyptic outlets have inspired me in my worldbuilding. Now, would I recommend them to anyone? Probably not because of three reasons: sexuality, gore, and language. But the level of thought and creativity put into it is something that I want to strive for. Almost making it... livable. A breathing, live world. First off, there's Fallout 4. Following the Nuclear Fallout genre (and pretty much defining it in my opinion,) it's heavily atompunk and its creature designs, map, and the detail is something that I love about it and its unique quirks and traits. But with that to say, it has alot of negatives. Some of which include sexual innuendos commented by a companion if you romance them and wake up with them, gore and exploding chunks of flesh from all the shooting (that probably is exaggerated) and it's really heavy language.

Then there's Metro Exodus, which I haven't played, but I've heard good things and seen videos about it. But then there's that pesky 'M' rating for pretty much every single reason as Fallout.

Now, a cleaner inspiration would be Jericho, with plenty of military, survival, love and romance, and political and literal espionage. Its a unique showing of what America would probably turn into if a Nuclear Fallout did occur. Such as the UN coming in wanting America, China brainwashing the Americans by dropping them food drops and plenty of propaganda fliers, and, the corruption that allowed the bombs to be smuggled into the major cities.

That's pretty much all, not including the Walking Dead (I watched it for about 3 or four seasons but then I was done) even though that's amazing quality as well. So now you kind of know what I'm thinking about for this Christian Post Apocalypse form of media. Something unique, and most probably, leaning to the Nuclear Apocalypse sub-genre of one of my favorite genres, the Post Apocalyptic genre.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't want to get into anything but Phil Robertson is a godly man who raised his family in the ways of the Lord. He just stated his perspective of what he saw and he never saw the mistreatment of black Americans, according to him. I'm sure other people has issues with him and his family (I've heard it from a few people) but I don't see anything wrong with them. I would look into it more if I were you before you make any snap-judgements. But thanks for your warning; I really appreciate it! If you want to talk about it more, I would be happy to outside of this thread anytime. Have a great day!
You are welcome bro. Maybe Phil Robertson lived in a bit of bubble, but it is good that he is Christian. By the way, you are a little to young to be my friend or discuss about things outside of this thread, as I am 24. The youngest ideal age limit for my friends is 20 (0.6x+5, where x is my age), with 18 being the absolute bare minimum.

And yes, I have watched Jericho in the mid-2010s on Netflix. Shame there were only two seasons of the show. It would have been great if the show had 5 seasons.

Reactions: jacob.austin
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that some preppers are hoarders and selfish people, but not all of them are! I know some really kind ones that would be willing to lend a helping hand in a situation like, lets say, a Nuclear Fallout as long as it doesn't end with them and their family being shot dead by looters that are the ones who are anti-Christian by their actions and ill-concieved. But I definitely see your point and I'll be thinking about it. Have a great day!
I see a family in a bunker( fully equipped and self sufficient) living their lives hidden yet have the ability to venture outside only to be driven back in because of the perceived chaos ( I would choose no power at all , a devastating EMP). Then one by one members of the family die due to illness or natural causes, no outside influences, no help from " other people" , doctors etc., they remain isolated due to FEAR. The last to survive is the father who insisted on no interaction with the outside world. The story ends with his mental state at a critical point basically he goes crazy, his family is all dead and he is left completely alone. So he decides to vacate the bunker only to find out that just a short distance from where he was, there is a thriving town with people who did not fear and survived through love.
My story anyway....sappy!

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see a family in a bunker( fully equipped and self sufficient) living their lives hidden yet have the ability to venture outside only to be driven back in because of the perceived chaos ( I would choose no power at all , a devastating EMP). Then one by one members of the family die due to illness or natural causes, no outside influences, no help from " other people" , doctors etc., they remain isolated due to FEAR. The last to survive is the father who insisted on no interaction with the outside world. The story ends with his mental state at a critical point basically he goes crazy, his family is all dead and he is left completely alone. So he decides to vacate the bunker only to find out that just a short distance from where he was, there is a thriving town with people who did not fear and survived through love.
My story anyway....sappy!
That is a good one, and it shows how we have a choice to overcome our fear.

Upvote 0

jacob.austin

Apr 9, 2024
Pacific Northwest
✟2,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also want to point out economy in the Post-Apocalypse. I mean bartering and trading would be something to think about but some media out there uses other forms such as bottle-caps (in the Fallout Franchise) and in Jericho they stick to more of the bartering and using work in exchange for goods. So that's always something to think about too.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟291,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
( I would choose no power at all , a devastating EMP)

That's a good one - choose your apocalypse for your story

Imagine the phases of it

The hour of
The day of
The week of
The month of
The season of

What's is happening and how are generally all people reacting
How are your main characters reacting (and then, this is the most important part)
How are they acting? Main characters don't just react, they act. Your characters are
facing the same choices everyone else is, but how are the acting differently

The phases can be very different depending on the apocalypse

Nuke strike
Asteroid strike (with or without a heads up warning) (fits well with some biblical passages, check out the novel Lucifer's Hammer)
Climate change related (foot shortages, refugees, famine, water shortages vs floods/rising ocean)
Massive EMP either from solar flare or messing around with nukes in stratosphere (no more electronics)
Plague vs humans
Genetic Engineering whoopsee check out the book Ill Wind Ill Wind
Biological (pretty good movie, slow moving invasive species causing immigration issues lol)
AI takeover (check out Colossus, the Forbin Project)

In all cases though, the systems that people rely on, government, hospitals, police, supply chains, bank accounts, grocery stores
either cease functioning or slowly grind to a halt before slowly trying reconstruct and reorder themselves. What was valuable is no longer
valuable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacob.austin

Apr 9, 2024
Pacific Northwest
✟2,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's a good one - choose your apocalypse for your story

Imagine the phases of it

The hour of
The day of
The week of
The month of
The season of

What's is happening and how are generally all people reacting
How are your main characters reacting (and then, this is the most important part)
How are they acting? Main characters don't just react, they act. Your characters are
facing the same choices everyone else is, but how are the acting differently

The phases can be very different depending on the apocalypse

Nuke strike
Asteroid strike (with or without a heads up warning) (fits well with some biblical passages, check out the novel Lucifer's Hammer)
Climate change related (foot shortages, refugees, famine, water shortages vs floods/rising ocean)
Massive EMP either from solar flare or messing around with nukes in stratosphere (no more electronics)
Plague vs humans
Genetic Engineering whoopsee check out the book Ill Wind Ill Wind
Biological (pretty good movie, slow moving invasive species causing immigration issues lol)
AI takeover (check out Colossus, the Forbin Project)

In all cases though, the systems that people rely on, government, hospitals, police, supply chains, bank accounts, grocery stores
either cease functioning or slowly grind to a halt before slowly trying reconstruct and reorder themselves. What was valuable is no longer
valuable.
Looks like a great movie!

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟91,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi all,

I'll put some thought into it. :)

Reactions: jacob.austin
Upvote 0