Would you be ok with your daughter getting into a serious relationship with this man ?

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟24,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This guy is a new Christian 2 years into the faith but he has a past of being promiscuous and playing with women emotions and being a former criminal that steals and used to be a devil worshiper and be alcoholic. He currently has a deep devotion to the ministry and loves helping the church and repented of his past and he even wants to be a preacher in the future. Would you tell your daughter to consider his past if she ask should she be with him or would you advise her to forget his past and look at the person he currently is.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟913,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This guy is a new Christian 2 years into the faith but he has a past of being promiscuous and playing with women emotions and being a former criminal that steals and used to be a devil worshiper and be alcoholic. He currently has a deep devotion to the ministry and loves helping the church and repented of his past and he even wants to be a preacher in the future. Would you tell your daughter to consider his past if she ask should she be with him or would you advise her to forget his past and look at the person he currently is.
True repentance can only be tested over time. That being said, give him a chance.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad to hear that this man has made significant progress in his faith and is now devoted to ministry and living a repentant life. However, it's important to approach this question with both the Bible and common sense.

From a biblical perspective, the Apostle Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." This verse emphasizes that when someone comes to faith in Christ, they are transformed and their past sins are forgiven.

However, it's also crucial to consider common sense and the potential impact on both individuals involved. In Matthew 18:20, Jesus teaches us that "for where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." This suggests that we should consider the context and relationships we build as followers of Christ.

Given the individual's past, it would be important for him to demonstrate consistent growth in his relationship with God and a commitment to living a godly life. It may also be necessary for him to seek forgiveness from those he has wronged in the past, including any potential romantic partners.

If you are a parent*, it would be appropriate to have an open and honest conversation with your daughter about the individual's past and his current commitment to Christ. Encourage her to prayerfully consider their potential relationship, focusing on the person he is now rather than his past mistakes. It is up to her to seek God's guidance and wisdom in this decision.

It's also essential to remember that every situation is unique, and there may be additional factors or circumstances to consider beyond what has been shared here. Ultimately, the decision rests with the daughter, but parents can provide guidance and support while encouraging her to seek God's will for her life.

*By the way, your description says that you are only 30 years old and single on your profile, so you are a little young to have a daughter who can date anyone. Your question is for someone else, I am betting?

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟24,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad to hear that this man has made significant progress in his faith and is now devoted to ministry and living a repentant life. However, it's important to approach this question with both the Bible and common sense.

From a biblical perspective, the Apostle Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." This verse emphasizes that when someone comes to faith in Christ, they are transformed and their past sins are forgiven.

However, it's also crucial to consider common sense and the potential impact on both individuals involved. In Matthew 18:20, Jesus teaches us that "for where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." This suggests that we should consider the context and relationships we build as followers of Christ.

Given the individual's past, it would be important for him to demonstrate consistent growth in his relationship with God and a commitment to living a godly life. It may also be necessary for him to seek forgiveness from those he has wronged in the past, including any potential romantic partners.

If you are a parent*, it would be appropriate to have an open and honest conversation with your daughter about the individual's past and his current commitment to Christ. Encourage her to prayerfully consider their potential relationship, focusing on the person he is now rather than his past mistakes. It is up to her to seek God's guidance and wisdom in this decision.

It's also essential to remember that every situation is unique, and there may be additional factors or circumstances to consider beyond what has been shared here. Ultimately, the decision rests with the daughter, but parents can provide guidance and support while encouraging her to seek God's will for her life.

*By the way, your description says that you are only 30 years old and single on your profile, so you are a little young to have a daughter who can date anyone. Your question is for someone else, I am betting?
Yes I stated it was a question for parents

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟445,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Wow. What a past ... and what a testimony to what God can do!

Still, I would lovingly suggest that the daughter not forget this man's past ...
understanding that serious "issues" may arise/surface in the future that may be related to things that occurred in his past.

Sanctification is a process, and not one normally accomplished within two years.
For most of us, it is a lifetime process that continues as we grow in Christ.
There appear to be some good changes that have happened in this man's life.
But only time will tell if they are truly lasting changes.

I would hope that the daughter would give herself 'time' to really get to know this man ...
get to know his family history ... get to know his current friends ...
get to know something about his medical history, including his mental health history ...
in other words, really get to know him ...
before making a serious commitment to him.

And if this man should attempt in any way 'to rush' the daughter into a relationship with him?
I would see that as a big 'red flag', given his newness to the faith ... and yes, his background.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

My children are adults and make their own decisions about romance.

But I have to ask about this guy: He has a history of being emotionally manipulative, AND he's been in prison for theft, AND he used to worship the devil, AND he's a recovering alcoholic. Is this an actual person that you know? That's a heck of a past, all of that in one person.

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟24,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My children are adults and make their own decisions about romance.

But I have to ask about this guy: He has a history of being emotionally manipulative, AND he's been in prison for theft, AND he used to worship the devil, AND he's a recovering alcoholic. Is this an actual person that you know? That's a heck of a past, all of that in one
Not exactly but knew people similar. If they asked for your insight what would you tell your daughter?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Check her own issues.

Make sure with God.

If a person is recovering in AA, AA is not a born-again new creature in Christ ministry. And ones can get isolated in AA, socially, having the attitude that no one outside AA can understand them.

So, are they sharing about his past things plus how she needs correction and maturing? Talking about this can help them grow and depend on God, plus be able to understand and minister to others.

And they need to relate with various other Christians, younger than they are plus much more mature Christians who can help them grow and learn how to relate in a close relationship.

And do not get into dating that is isolating. Because God is all-loving and about family sharing and caring.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not exactly but knew people similar. If they asked for your insight what would you tell your daughter?

My children know a couple of people who are alcoholics, so they know what's involved there.

As to the rest, I'd ask some questions. Is the person still emotionally manipulative, or is that a thing of the past? (Baptism won't magically erase that; I know emotionally manipulative Christians.)

Theft can come in many forms. Shoplifting, embezzling, and armed robbery are different. Was it one occasion, under pressure from friends, or an ongoing line of "work"? I wouldn't want any of my children to marry into an organized crime family, but if it's a single bad decision by a teenager, that's different.

Devil worshipper? That's really rare. I've known a couple of Pagans, but no genuine devil worshippers. I want to have an interfaith discussion with this person! What did this religion mean for this person? Were they genuinely celebrating evil, or was it a form of rebellion against the evil done in the name of organized religion?

Would you tell your daughter to consider his past if she ask should she be with him or would you advise her to forget his past and look at the person he currently is.

Don't forget the past; our past shapes who we are in the present. But it's possible that he could be a good romantic partner in the present, especially if he has worked to make restitution to the people he harmed in the past.

I'll repeat, though, that my children (of all genders) have turned into wise adults. I've seen them make good and thoughtful decisions about whom to date and when to break up. I'd likely keep my nose out of it unless they asked me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is one of those questions where you're likely to hear a politically correct response than what would actually be said behind closed doors. With that in mind, the answer is no. I would not want my daughter romantically involved with a man with his background and would ardently stand against it in prayer with my loved ones.

While I understand mistakes are made before we find the Lord. A future son-in-law who's an ex satanist, felon, alcoholic and womanizer is too much. There are too many men who love the Lord with less checkered pasts and he isn't getting the same in return.

~bella

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟24,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My children know a couple of people who are alcoholics, so they know what's involved there.

As to the rest, I'd ask some questions. Is the person still emotionally manipulative, or is that a thing of the past? (Baptism won't magically erase that; I know emotionally manipulative Christians.)

Theft can come in many forms. Shoplifting, embezzling, and armed robbery are different. Was it one occasion, under pressure from friends, or an ongoing line of "work"? I wouldn't want any of my children to marry into an organized crime family, but if it's a single bad decision by a teenager, that's different.
Regular thief that has stolen from co-workers, regular shoplifter and stolen from strangers and former friends.
Devil worshipper? That's really rare. I've known a couple of Pagans, but no genuine devil worshippers. I want to have an interfaith discussion with this person! What did this religion mean for this person? Were they genuinely celebrating evil, or was it a form of rebellion against the evil done in the name of organized religion?

Don't forget the past; our past shapes who we are in the present. But it's possible that he could be a good romantic partner in the present, especially if he has worked to make restitution to the people he harmed in the past.

I'll repeat, though, that my children (of all genders) have turned into wise adults. I've seen them make good and thoughtful decisions about whom to date and when to break up.

I'd likely keep my nose out of it unless they asked me.
They asked you should they date them ?

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟24,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is one of those questions where you're likely to hear a politically correct response than what would actually be said behind closed doors. With that in mind, the answer is no. I would not want my daughter romantically involved with a man with his background and would ardently stand against it in prayer with my loved ones.

While I understand mistakes are made before we find the Lord. A future son-in-law who's an ex satanist, felon, alcoholic and womanizer is too much. There are too many men who love the Lord with less checkered pasts and he isn't getting the same in return.

~bella
Thank you for your honesty.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

John G.

Feb 2, 2024
N. Ireland
✟11,488.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Divorced

I'd tell her to STAY AWAY FROM HIM!!!
An alcoholic is an alcoholic whether he drinks or not. In fact, some act far worse when they're off the booze.
As to his promiscuity, the Apostle Paul makes it clear that "the two become one flesh" applies even in that situation.
My daughter could use someone without such baggage and I could use some peace of mind knowing she's not with such a character!

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟926,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would honestly give the person a chance. I've had my brush ins with the law myself and its really difficult to properly repent and to change your life after you're used to living in sin and living that kind of a lifestyle. I won't say what I've done because I don't want to be judged by others but, yeah it's possible to completely reform and if I had a daughter I would give them a chance to be together in your shoes.

If he wants to become a pastor, they're under more judgement by God than any other occupation so that's really rolling the dice high. So, if I can change he can change as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums