Women as elders in a church?

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If we look at very early church documents such as the Didache and the Shepherd, it becomes clear that prophecy was a public leadership role within the church (for example, the Didache gives instructions for how prophets are to preside over worship; and the Shepherd instructs that prophets minister within the church, where what they say is public, rather than in private). It's also clear that prophets did not operate independently of other leaders in the church, but in cooperation with elders, deacons and so on.
Yes, but that still leaves prophets in some sort of gray area outside that of elders and deacons. Perhaps a new thread on the role(s) of prophets in the church might be in order. I am not aware of an office of prophet (among the many offices) in any Anglican churches, or, actually, any mainstream churches as well as the RCC and the EOC.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,104.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but that still leaves prophets in some sort of gray area outside that of elders and deacons.
A separate office, certainly. (I did quite a bit of research on early church prophets at one point, as one way of looking at questions of what today we might call "lay" ministry).
I am not aware of an office of prophet (among the many offices) in any Anglican churches, or, actually, any mainstream churches as well as the RCC and the EOC.
No, like other roles/offices attested to in the early church it seems to have fallen into disuse, at least in a formally recognised sense, by about the fourth century or so. I have known people who have been recognised as having a prophetic gift and been allowed to exercise it, but usually from within some other role.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A separate office, certainly. (I did quite a bit of research on early church prophets at one point, as one way of looking at questions of what today we might call "lay" ministry).

No, like other roles/offices attested to in the early church it seems to have fallen into disuse, at least in a formally recognised sense, by about the fourth century or so. I have known people who have been recognised as having a prophetic gift and been allowed to exercise it, but usually from within some other role.
Was that as a type of teaching or was it the traditional understanding of foretelling the future?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,104.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Was that as a type of teaching or was it the traditional understanding of foretelling the future?
Foretelling the future is not what I would consider the main function of a prophet. More, teaching, exhorting, encouraging, by sharing what God is telling them to say, type of function.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Foretelling the future is not what I would consider the main function of a prophet. More, teaching, exhorting, encouraging, by sharing what God is telling them to say, type of function.
The abilities of prophets in the Bible seem to have evolved over time. Even linguistically, in the person of Samuel the name shifted from "seer" to "prophet". The prophets in the historical books of the Old Testament were gifted in foretelling the future as well as performing various miracles. Both the major and the minor prophets foretold the future, but also included long narratives which, kindly, might be called exhortation. In the New Testament we have Philip whose four daughters were prophetesses, which is the first mention of women having that gift (Deborah was a judge, not a prophetess). However, we have no idea as to what they actually did as prophetesses. Prophets are also listed among God's gifts to the church. For cessationists, which most mainline churches are, that simply means that God provided prophets during the Old Testament period whose writings and foretelling provided a solid proof of the legitimacy of Jesus as being the promised Messiah. For non-cessationists, the problem becomes one of defending the obvious historical lacunae of centuries of church history where none of the "sign" gifts including tongues, healing, and prophecy were missing or, at best, inactive.

Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟118,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christ is the head of the church. He has in the past and present used many women in many different ways and He actually can use anyone He chooses for any task He chooses.. Some controlling individuals try to silence women in the church but they have ignored passages such as:

Acts 2:17
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

The office of prophet and the act of prophesy are important in the NT church and women are not excluded!
The subject of the thread is elders, not prophets. The author of 1 Timothy (and God who inspired it) would know better than us how women were being used in the NT church yet still wrote:

An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife,

or in Titus:

An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient.

Reference to "controlling individuals" is an example of the genetic fallacy and does not make a positive contribution to this discussion.

The genetic fallacy (also known as the fallacy of origins or fallacy of virtue)[1] is a fallacy of irrelevance in which arguments or information are dismissed or validated based solely on their source of origin rather than their content. In other words, a claim is ignored or given credibility based on its source rather than the claim itself.

I consider God and His Word to be an exceptional source of origin!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟118,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul is referring in this 1 Timothy 5:1-2 verses to elders in the ministry of either male or female gender, both younger and older in years.

There are other Greek words which Paul could have used if he was strictly addressing only the age factor. Paul could have used the same word for an "older man" - a "presbutes" - that Zechariah, John's father called himself in Luke 1:18. "...I am an old man (presbutes), and my wife is well stricken in years." Or Paul could have used "presbytas", which refers to an aged-in-years man in Titus 2:2. "That the aged men (presbytas) be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience." Or he could have used "presbytidas", meaning an aged-in-years woman in Titus 2:3. "The aged women (presbytidas) likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers..."

But Paul didn't use these terms in 1 Timothy 5:1-2. He used "presbutero" and "presbuteras" instead, which carries the meaning of these being overseers in the assembly - not just ordinary senior citizens in the church.

The "elect lady" (kyria) was a specific woman that John expressed a desire to see "face to face". Her "children" were the members of the assembly that this "elect lady" was leading. John was giving this woman instructions on just who she was to admit to the fellowship and who should not be allowed entry into the assembly, if they did not follow the doctrine of Christ. This was protective shepherding that this woman was being coached in by John. She also had a fellow "sister" leading another assembly of "children", for whom John passed on greetings.
Since John already was referring to the members of the church body as "children" in this epistle, it would have been redundant to also refer to the "elect lady" as being the church, with the church as "children" under that church's leadership.
Stating what you think 1 Timothy 5:1-2 refers to does not, in itself, make it so. Ignoring the use of presbyteros in the parable of the prodigal son does not make that usage go away. presbytes is a noun derived from presbyteros (Renn's Expository Dictionary of NT words) so it is not an "other" or different Greek word. In Kittel's Theological Dictionary of the NT, these two words are treated together in a single entry which starts by stating that the one is the comparator of the other having the meaning to "denote greater age". The use of the term to refer to Jewish or church elders derives from this age related meaning.
In other words, old and older. The comparative is used in 1 Tim 5:1,2 since it treats with the older and younger generations. Kittel states the usage in 1 Tim 5:1,2 is "clearly related to age".

In 2 John the "elect lady" is referred to in the second person plural on several occasions. Where in the letter does the word "leading" or "lead" come? The church can be referred to as singular, and its members as plural. Where else is the word "elect" applied to an individual in the NT? (Just once I think)

Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟118,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Didache also includes (chapter 15):

Appoint, therefore, for yourselves, bishops and deacons worthy of the Lord, men meek, and not lovers of money, and truthful and proved; for they also render to you the service of prophets and teachers.

In Greek:

Χειροτονήσατε οὖν ἑαυτοῖς ἐπισκόπους καὶ διακόνους ἀξίους τοῦ κυρίου, ἄνδρας πραεῖς καὶ ἀφιλαργύρους καὶ ἀληθεῖς καὶ δεδοκιμασμένους· ὑμῖν γὰρ λειτουργοῦσι καὶ αὐτοὶ τὴν λειτουργίαν τῶν προφητῶν καὶ διδασκάλων.

Upvote 0

3 Resurrections

That's 666 YEARS, folks
Aug 21, 2021
Taylors
✟85,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The comparative is used in 1 Tim 5:1,2 since it treats with the older and younger generations. Kittel states the usage in 1 Tim 5:1,2 is "clearly related to age".
I'm not denying that different ages are referred to in 1 Timothy 5:1-2, but that is not the only consideration in this text. This was Paul giving Timothy instruction in how he was not to "rebuke" but to "exhort" elders of either gender or any age who were ministering to the assemblies. The end of the chapter continues to give instructions on how Timothy - without preferment - was to react to proven sins which had been committed by elders of the congregation. Once their guilt was established by 2-3 witnesses, then they were finally supposed to be "rebuked before all", so that other elders in the ministry would fear to commit the same kind of offense.

Paul referred to women as "fellow-labourers" who "laboured with me in the gospel" (Philippians 4:3). This was Paul putting women on a par with the type of ministry which he himself was performing in those days. Paul in 1 Corinthians 16:16 besought those his readers to "submit yourselves...to everyone that helpeth with us, and laboureth." That would include the Corinthians "submitting yourselves" to the women that were Paul's "fellow-laborers" in the gospel.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟340,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the New Testament we have Philip whose four daughters were prophetesses, which is the first mention of women having that gift (Deborah was a judge, not a prophetess).

Small nitpick: Don't forget Miriam (Exodus 15:20), Huldah (II Kings 22:14), or Anna (Luke 2:36).

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Small nitpick: Don't forget Miriam (Exodus 15:20), Huldah (II Kings 22:14), or Anna (Luke 2:36).
Granted that they were highly significant women, as were Ruth and Esther, but none were elders in the New Testament understanding of that word. In fact, there were no elders at all in the Old Testament. There were no synagogues, either, for that matter. The New Testament church structure has a surprising affinity with that of the synagogue system with had developed following the Babylonian captivity.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟340,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Granted that they were highly significant women, as were Ruth and Esther, but none were elders in the New Testament understanding of that word. In fact, there were no elders at all in the Old Testament. There were no synagogues, either, for that matter. The New Testament church structure has a surprising affinity with that of the synagogue system with had developed following the Babylonian captivity.

I was simply replying to the claim that Philip's daughters were the female prophets mentioned in the Bible.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was simply replying to the claim that Philip's daughters were the female prophets mentioned in the Bible.
This is simply a passing reference to Philip, not a claim.

Acts 12:8 On the next day we left and came to Caesarea, and entering the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, we stayed with him. 9 Now this man had four virgin daughters who were prophetesses.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟340,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is simply a passing reference to Philip, not a claim.

Acts 12:8 On the next day we left and came to Caesarea, and entering the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, we stayed with him. 9 Now this man had four virgin daughters who were prophetesses.

I'm confused. In post #105, you said "In the New Testament we have Philip whose four daughters were prophetesses, which is the first mention of women having that gift (Deborah was a judge, not a prophetess)." I thought you were claiming that this is the first mention in the Bible of women having the gift of prophecy. I must have misunderstood you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm confused. In post #105, you said "In the New Testament we have Philip whose four daughters were prophetesses, which is the first mention of women having that gift (Deborah was a judge, not a prophetess)." I thought you were claiming that this is the first mention in the Bible of women having the gift of prophecy. I must have misunderstood you.
I apologize for the confusion. I was thinking in terms of a New Testament framework. However, you are correct. These three other women are cited as being prophetesses. Curiously, the Talmud apparently asserts that there were seven female prophetesses in the Bible. Do you know who the other five were (Anna is not included in the Old Testament, obviously)?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟340,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I apologize for the confusion. I was thinking in terms of a New Testament framework. However, you are correct. These three other women are cited as being prophetesses. Curiously, the Talmud apparently asserts that there were seven female prophetesses in the Bible. Do you know who the other five were (Anna is not included in the Old Testament, obviously)?

An interesting puzzle. Miriam and Huldah were the only ones I could think of.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
An interesting puzzle. Miriam and Huldah were the only ones I could think of.
I did a bit more investigation and found this list - Sarah, Miriam, Deborah, Hannah, Abigail, Huldah, and Esther.

Obviously, the other five are never cited as having been prophetesses, so the criteria in the Talmud appear to be quite a lot broader.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,065,838.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did a bit more investigation and found this list - Sarah, Miriam, Deborah, Hannah, Abigail, Huldah, and Esther.

Obviously, the other five are never cited as having been prophetesses, so the criteria in the Talmud appear to be quite a lot broader.
Isaiah's wife was a prophetess, Isaiah 8:3.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟375,620.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Isaiah's wife was a prophetess, Isaiah 8:3.
Thanks! Apparently not only I overlooked her, but so did the folks who put together the Talmud. I always feel sorry for Isaiah's son,

Maher Shalal Chash Baz ("swift (is) booty, speedy (is) prey"
מַהֵר שָׁלָל חָשׁ בַּז

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0