United Kingdom
✟7,771.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
'Obsession' in quote marks because I don't want to cause offence.

Sorry to start yet another homosexuality thread on this board! I'm genuinely looking for an explanation here, not just trying to anger the "phobes" as they are so lovingly called.

Basically, I just can't see the Biblical support for protesting against/trying to combat homosexuality moreso than other sins. What makes it so much worse than jealousy, idolatry, or all of the other unholy things that many of us engage ourselves in?

As far as the tale of Sodom and Gomorrah is concerned, I don't personally interpret and believe that the cities were punished for homosexuality, but I'll accept that it could be used to answer my question, as it could be seen to highlight the severity of homosexuality (if interpreted that way) in comparison to other sins.

But really. Help me out here.

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

First, it is the "Gay Community" that has pushed thei sexual proclivities onto the populace. Homosexuality has existed for a long time and usually it remains away from the public. Why do they desire to be known by their sex acts?

Sorry to start yet another homosexuality thread on this board! I'm genuinely looking for an explanation here, not just trying to anger the "phobes" as they are so lovingly called.

Homophobia is a neologism designed to intimidate and silence any dissent or opposition. Think Lot's visitors and ALL of the men of Sodom.

Basically, I just can't see the Biblical support for protesting against/trying to combat homosexuality moreso than other sins.

We don't protest them above or more imortant than "other sns." It is the Gay community that demands that we shutup and stop calling their sexual behaviors as sins. You're right. Christians shouldn't deal with or have to deal with homosexuality at all. But alas, the Gays and Lesbians don't see it that way.

What makes it so much worse than jealousy, idolatry, or all of the other unholy things that many of us engage ourselves in?

There are no idolaters or jealous people demanding that others shutup about the sins of coveting and paganism. Not too many Wiccans wanting hate crimes legislation silence Christians and to promote Wicca.

As far as the tale of Sodom and Gomorrah is concerned, I don't personally interpret and believe that the cities were punished for homosexuality, but I'll accept that it could be used to answer my question, as it could be seen to highlight the severity of homosexuality (if interpreted that way) in comparison to other sins.

Look at the word "haughty" and then think of the word "gay." Or the whole GLBT thing:

haugh·ty (hô
prime.gif
t
emacr.gif
) adj. haugh·ti·er, haugh·ti·est Scornfully and condescendingly proud. See Synonyms at proud.

[From Middle English haut, from Old French haut, halt, alteration (influenced by Frankish h
omacr.gif
h, high) of Latin altus, high; see al-2 in Indo-European roots.]
haugh
prime.gif
ti·ly
adv.
haugh
prime.gif
ti·ness
n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
haughty
Adjective
[-tier, -tiest] having or showing excessive pride or arrogance [Latin altus high]
haughtily adv
haughtiness n
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj.1.haughty - having or showing arrogant superiority to and disdain of those one views as unworthy; "some economists are disdainful of their colleagues in other social disciplines"; "haughty aristocrats"; "his lordly manners were offensive"; "walked with a prideful swagger"; "very sniffy about breaches of etiquette"; "his mother eyed my clothes with a supercilious air"; "a more swaggering mood than usual"- W.L.Shirer prideful, sniffy, supercilious, swaggering, imperious, lordly, overbearing, disdainful
proud - feeling self-respect or pleasure in something by which you measure your self-worth; or being a reason for pride; "proud parents"; "proud of his accomplishments"; "a proud moment"; "proud to serve his country"; "a proud name"; "proud princes"

[/quote]But really. Help me out here.[/quote]

Hopefully I did.

Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Basically, I just can't see the Biblical support for protesting against/trying to combat homosexuality moreso than other sins. What makes it so much worse than jealousy, idolatry, or all of the other unholy things that many of us engage ourselves in?

haugh·ty (hô
prime.gif
t
emacr.gif
) adj. haugh·ti·er, haugh·ti·est Scornfully and condescendingly proud. See Synonyms at proud.

[From Middle English haut, from Old French haut, halt, alteration (influenced by Frankish h
omacr.gif
h, high) of Latin altus, high; see al-2 in Indo-European roots.]
haugh
prime.gif
ti·ly
adv.
haugh
prime.gif
ti·ness
n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
haughty
Adjective
[-tier, -tiest] having or showing excessive pride or arrogance [Latin altus high]
haughtily adv
haughtiness n
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj.1.haughty - having or showing arrogant superiority to and disdain of those one views as unworthy; "some economists are disdainful of their colleagues in other social disciplines"; "haughty aristocrats"; "his lordly manners were offensive"; "walked with a prideful swagger"; "very sniffy about breaches of etiquette"; "his mother eyed my clothes with a supercilious air"; "a more swaggering mood than usual"- W.L.Shirer prideful, sniffy, supercilious, swaggering, imperious, lordly, overbearing, disdainful
proud - feeling self-respect or pleasure in something by which you measure your self-worth; or being a reason for pride; "proud parents"; "proud of his accomplishments"; "a proud moment"; "proud to serve his country"; "a proud name"; "proud princes"

Upvote 0

TheManeki

Christian Humanist
Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
✟21,334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Haven't you heard! Homosexuals are always trying to recruit our children into their dens debauchery, turning them into the most despicable humans on earth. They MUST be stopped NOW!!! Homo haters of the world unite. You have nothing to fear but homos themselves.

Seriously, it's people who lack common thinking skills; those who find it easier to believe whatever they're told rather than think for themselves. One of the best ways to rally people for a cause is to find an enemy to unite against. The cause in this case is lining preachers pockets with moo la. Nothing sells a sermon better than having an enemy to throw stones at.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
To answer the OP:

This is one of the few strongholds christianity still has on my life. Though I am no longer christian, the forces of christianity on my life as a gay man are something I have to deal with everyday. My partner and I have absolutely zero legal protections, and this is due in no small part to christians who seek to make my life miserable.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
GLSEN, PFLAG, Pink/rainbow Triangle, all recruiting kids in our school system.

Recruiting kids? Are you serious? :doh:

I don't know what the obsession with homosexuality is. I find it strange that people are preoccupied with it, even though they find it disgusting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Big Empty Circle

Big fat Confederate-sympathizing queer Zen atheist
Jun 19, 2008
Paducah, KY
✟15,348.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I'm new so I can't post the link (do some Googling if you want) but, of course, there's strong scientific evidence indicating that most men who "hate" gays are substantially more stimulated by homoerotic images than are straight men who have no problem with gay men. So presumably, to answer the OP somewhat, the most vitriolic of those negatively "obsessed" with homosexuality have suppressed gay tendencies themselves.

Makes sense any way you cut it, really. Of course if you were trying desperately to bottle something up within yourself, subconsciously or otherwise, you'd also tend to attack and loathe it in other people... because if you accept it in them, you might end up accepting it in yourself, horror of horrors...

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

When Christians were obsessed with fornication, society said, "Oh don't be so old fashion. Everyone does it and love fixes everything."

When Christians then became obsessed about adultry, society said, "We have become more sophisticated and everyone will be better off if you just forgive and forget.

Now Christians see what happens when they listen to society and not GOD. They learn to accept anything and everything and fabricate every excuse under the sun. It's time to reverse the flow.

Upvote 0

Merlin

Paradigm Buster
Sep 29, 2005
Avalon Island
✟17,437.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Jealosy is not a sin :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
C

ChaliceThunder

When Christians were obsessed with fornication, society said, "Oh don't be so old fashion. Everyone does it and love fixes everything."

When Christians then became obsessed about adultry, society said, "We have become more sophisticated and everyone will be better off if you just forgive and forget.

Now Christians see what happens when they listen to society and not GOD. They learn to accept anything and everything and fabricate every excuse under the sun. It's time to reverse the flow.

Please provide citations which prove your assertions.

I have seen no proof of any of this...other than you just making it up and saying it's so.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

So we shouldn't forgive adulterers?

Jesus did.

Reactions: TheManeki
Upvote 0