Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is John MacArthur along with RC Sproul and Piper considered heretics by some fundamentalists?

Some will state that because they are all Calvinists. I admire MacArthur because he is not so pushy with his Calvinism like the other two. Also Piper is very wishy washy with his view on baptism. Some don't like MacArthur's view on the blood part of the blood atoinment of Jesus Christ. Also, our church would never team up with MacArthur even though we have sold his study Bible and use his books. MacArthur and especially the others are too ecumenical for many fundamentalists.

Upvote 0

General Mung Beans

Resident Conservative Christian
Aug 25, 2009
Anaheim, CA
✟8,496.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some will state that because they are all Calvinists. I admire MacArthur because he is not so pushy with his Calvinism like the other two. Also Piper is very wishy washy with his view on baptism. Some don't like MacArthur's view on the blood part of the blood atoinment of Jesus Christ. Also, our church would never team up with MacArthur even though we have sold his study Bible and use his books. MacArthur and especially the others are too ecumenical for many fundamentalists.

How is John MacArthur ecumenical exactly? I don't think he's endorsing any non-conservative Protestants. He doesn't chum around with Mormon prophets or Pentecoastal healers or anyone else fundamentalists would consider objectionable.

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I might not agree with them on every issue but for the most part I have found all three of them to be solid teachers and men of integrity. I don't know any fundies around my area that would call them heretics.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is John MacArthur ecumenical exactly? I don't think he's endorsing any non-conservative Protestants. He doesn't chum around with Mormon prophets or Pentecoastal healers or anyone else fundamentalists would consider objectionable.

One doesn't need to team up with a Mormon or Benny Hinn to be considered ecumenical. I'm sure I could think of several examples but MacArthur has been affiliated with those that use rock music in worship. I am not going to debate that topic but just bring it up as an example. Our church for example would never work with a church that uses rock for their worship service. Then you have people like Chuck Colson who go even further and have no problems working with Roman Catholics. It is interesting to note that there is tension between MacArthur's ministry and Piper's. Piper has teamed up with the likes of Mark Driscoll (the potty mouth pastor) and MacArthur's ministry has openly spoken out against Driscoll.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why is John MacArthur along with RC Sproul and Piper considered heretics by some fundamentalists?

I didn't know there were any Fundamentalists considering these three as heretics. This is a surprise. Who do they raise up as pillars of Fundamentalism?

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cyrus Scofield, Charles Finney, Billy Sunday, John R. Rice, & Jack Hyles.

I would agree with Scofield to some extent and Rice and Sunday to a greater degree. The former Hyles is rejected by many because of his easy believism. David Cloud and Kevin Bauder are some living people that are looked up to in various fundamentalist circles even though those 2 have different KJV views.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The former Hyles is rejected by many because of his easy believism.

Thats good to hear. It was because of Hyles that gave me the impression that most fundamentalists were of the easy believism persuasion.

David Cloud and Kevin Bauder are some living people that are looked up to in various fundamentalist circles even though those 2 have different KJV views.

Not familiar with either.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thats good to hear. It was because of Hyles that gave me the impression that most fundamentalists were of the easy believism persuasion.

Yeah, and there still are those that follow that type of view but many churches has seen the error in that view. Another thing that people normally misunderstand is the "KJV Only" position. There is a wide variety of views held within that realm. Many would openly reject people like Peter Ruckman and Gail Riplinger. I personally don't accept the KJV Only view but have family and friends that do hold that view. By the way I have yet to get the boot for reading my NKJV during Bible Study in these churches. ;)

Not familiar with either.

Kevin Bauder is the president of the seminary that is connected with my church. John Piper has commented on his articles before and though he doesn't have that many books he has directly affected the lives of many pastors and missionaries. You can check out some of his articles here.

David Cloud has a weekly newsletter, has produced several videos and has written a lot of material. His web site is here.

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, and there still are those that follow that type of view but many churches has seen the error in that view. Another thing that people normally misunderstand is the "KJV Only" position. There is a wide variety of views held within that realm. Many would openly reject people like Peter Ruckman and Gail Riplinger. I personally don't accept the KJV Only view but have family and friends that do hold that view. By the way I have yet to get the boot for reading my NKJV during Bible Study in these churches. ;)

I use the NKJV (Cambridge wide margin Reference) too.

Kevin Bauder is the president of the seminary that is connected with my church. John Piper has commented on his articles before and though he doesn't have that many books he has directly affected the lives of many pastors and missionaries. You can check out some of his articles here.

David Cloud has a weekly newsletter, has produced several videos and has written a lot of material. His web site is here.

Thanks for the links.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How about John Bunyan?

John Bunyan was a Particular Baptist, as were all the Old Path Baptists that framed the 1644|1646 London Baptist Confession Of Faith and the 1655 Midlands Baptist Statement of Faith. There is a wide chasm betwixt what historic and modern baptists believed the Bible taught.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
John Bunyan was a Particular Baptist, as were all the Old Path Baptists that framed the 1644|1646 London Baptist Confession Of Faith and the 1655 Midlands Baptist Statement of Faith. There is a wide chasm betwixt what historic and modern baptists believed the Bible taught.

Which ones believed in helping the poor?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
All authentic believers help the poor, why do you ask ?

(agree with you . thanks) I've had problems bringing up the subject in a baptist church before . so it would stand to reason one of those statement of faiths omitted such a clause .

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
(agree with you . thanks) I've had problems bringing up the subject in a baptist church before . so it would stand to reason one of those statement of faiths omitted such a clause .

1646 LBCF ArticleXXXV.

And all His servants of all estates (are to acknowledge Him to be their prophet, priest and king) and called thither to be enrolled among His household servants, to present their bodies and souls, and to bring their gifts God hath given them, to be under His heavenly conduct and government, to lead their lives in this walled sheepfold, and watered garden, to have communion here with His saints, that they may be assured that they are made meet to be partakers of their inheritance in the kingdom of God; and to supply each others wants, inward and outward; (and although each person hath a propriety in his own estate, yet they are to supply each others wants, according as their necessities shall require, that the name of Jesus Christ may not be blasphemed through the necessity of any in the Church) and also being come, they are here by Himself to be bestowed in their several order, due place, peculiar use, being fitly compact and knit together according to the effectual working of every part, to the edifying of itself in love.

Acts. 2:41,47; Isa. 4:3, 1 Cor. 12:6,7, etc.; Ezek. 20:37,40; Song of Sol. 4:12; Eph. 2:19; Rom. 12:4,5,6; Col. 1:12, 2:5,6,19; Acts 20:32, 5:4, 2:44,45, 4:34,35; Luke 14:26; 1 Tim. 6:1; Eph. 4:16.

Article XLIX.

But in case we find not the magistrate [or governing authority] to favor us herein; yet we dare not suspend our practice, because we believe we ought to go in obedience to Christ, in professing the faith which was once delivered to the saints, which faith is declared in the holy Scriptures, and this our confession of faith a part of them, and that we are to witness to the truth of the Old and New Testaments unto the death, if necessity require, in the midst of all trials and afflictions, as His saints of old have done; not accounting our goods, lands, wives, children, fathers, mothers, brethren, sisters; yea and our own lives dear unto us, so we may finish our course with joy; remembering always, that we ought to obey God rather than men, who will when we have finished our course, and kept the faith, give us the crown of righteousness; to whom we must give an account of all our actions, and no man being able to discharge us of the same.

Acts 2:40,41, 4:19, 5:28,29, 20:23; 1 Thess. 3:3; Phil. 1:28,29; Dan. 3:16,17, 6:7,10,22,23; 1 Tim. 6:13,14; Rom. 12:1,8; 1 Cor. 14:37; Rev. 2:20; 2 Tim. 4:6,7,8; Rom. 14:10, 12; 2 Cor. 5:10; Ps. 49:7,50:22

1646 LBCF source

1655 Midlands SoF

15th. That persons so baptized ought, by free consent, to walk together, as God shall give opportunity in distinct churches, or assemblies of Zion, continuing in the Apostles' doctrine and fellowship, breaking of bread and prayers, as fellow-men caring for one another, according to the will of God. All these ordinances of Christ are enjoined in His Church, being to be observed till his Second Coming, which we all ought diligently to wait for.

1655 Midlands source

Upvote 0