Why does God allow suffering?

soul_on_fire

Aug 21, 2008
✟7,677.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Engaged
I get the whole "Adam and Eve ate the apple" thing, but why is it that thousands of years later God still punishes billions of people for something two people did long ago? Isn't that kinda... mean?
And God told them not to eat from that tree, but he created humans curious and with a weak will power, wouldn't that suggest he actualy WANTED people to suffer?

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God wants people who will obey Him and worshippers who truly love Him by their free will. Why are many people suffering? People have a free choice to do good or evil. Without choice love is meaningless. God won't force people to love him and he won't force his love on people. If we didn't have this freedom, we would be programmed robots.

Upvote 0

Holy Roller

Aug 29, 2008
San Diego California.
✟1,062.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
God does not allow for suffering on the whole. In fact, if God's Will were to be put on film, it would end in typical Hollywood fashion, with there being a Happy Ending every time.

Why have you not asked the question, "Why does God always allow Good to prevail?" At every human endeavor we see a good ending to the movie. Adolf Hitler and his party get destroyed. Why did God allow this? Why are we now not under Nazi rule as slaves? A hitherto God-fearing nation develops a terrifying weapon and detonates the weapon over a country that shamefully executed 30 million Chinese. This God-fearing nation later reconstructs the civilized world, and becomes #1. Why did God allow this Good to happen?
Before this, Germany invades France and starts WWI. The Happy Ending prevails in typical Hollywood fashion with the Treaty of Versailles.

This kind of divine intervention, where Good Divinity defeats Evil Divinity, is seen time and time again in our history as a species. In fact, it's a good litmus test, and wonderful proof of God's existence and benevolent nature that events spurned on by an inherently evil species is defeated by the Good of a loving Creator God. The fact that a loving Savior and His Spirit only glorifies the overall picture to His edification.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟739,657.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nineveh was a city in the bible that had become exceedingly evil. God sent, which is the important bit, Jonah to the city to tell them to turn from their evil ways or he would be forced to destroy the city. When Noah arrived the city was so convicted of their evil ways that they turned from doing evil and the leaders of the city proclaimed

Jon 3:8
but let them be covered with sackcloth, both man and beast, and let them cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in his hands.

God spared the city. Where ever God goes he is looking for people to turn from violence and evil. It is our job as people to allow God to send us into the impossible evils and turn it around for good. All he is after is a heart that is willing to surrender to good, and shun evil.

So far your question puts you in a good position, you desire evil to not exist, so does God.

Upvote 0

PastorJim

Jul 12, 2006
✟3,601.00
Faith
Baptist
I get the whole "Adam and Eve ate the apple" thing, but why is it that thousands of years later God still punishes billions of people for something two people did long ago? Isn't that kinda... mean?

Which verse says that God punishes people for what Adam and Eve did?

And God told them not to eat from that tree, but he created humans curious and with a weak will power, wouldn't that suggest he actualy WANTED people to suffer?

Which verse says that God created them with a weak will power?

Upvote 0

rob64

Aug 19, 2008
✟8,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If God wanted people to suffer, why would he offer us a way out of suffering?
( Jesus Christ )

Upvote 0

rob64

Aug 19, 2008
✟8,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God does not allow for suffering on the whole. In fact, if God's Will were to be put on film, it would end in typical Hollywood fashion, with there being a Happy Ending every time.

Why have you not asked the question, "Why does God always allow Good to prevail?" At every human endeavor we see a good ending to the movie. Adolf Hitler and his party get destroyed. Why did God allow this? Why are we now not under Nazi rule as slaves? A hitherto God-fearing nation develops a terrifying weapon and detonates the weapon over a country that shamefully executed 30 million Chinese. This God-fearing nation later reconstructs the civilized world, and becomes #1. Why did God allow this Good to happen?
Before this, Germany invades France and starts WWI. The Happy Ending prevails in typical Hollywood fashion with the Treaty of Versailles.

This kind of divine intervention, where Good Divinity defeats Evil Divinity, is seen time and time again in our history as a species. In fact, it's a good litmus test, and wonderful proof of God's existence and benevolent nature that events spurned on by an inherently evil species is defeated by the Good of a loving Creator God. The fact that a loving Savior and His Spirit only glorifies the overall picture to His edification.

My friend, You said, "God does not allow for suffering on the whole".
May I remind you that Jesus Himself said that we will be persecuted, some will even have to die.
If we take up our cross, like we were instructed to do, does that not include suffering

Upvote 0

soul_on_fire

Aug 21, 2008
✟7,677.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Engaged
God wants people who will obey Him and worshippers who truly love Him by their free will. Why are many people suffering? People have a free choice to do good or evil. Without choice love is meaningless. God won't force people to love him and he won't force his love on people. If we didn't have this freedom, we would be programmed robots.

That still doesn't answer why people still suffer :p

Upvote 0

soul_on_fire

Aug 21, 2008
✟7,677.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Engaged
God does not allow for suffering on the whole.

Then why is it a fact that people DO suffer?

Why have you not asked the question, "Why does God always allow Good to prevail?"

Because i was interested in knowing why God allows suffering, not any other topic. Besides, if someone gets innocently murdered, where's the good in that? That the murderer got what he wanted? What about the family of the victims?

At every human endeavor we see a good ending to the movie. Adolf Hitler and his party get destroyed.

True, after millions of innocent Jews suffered and died. Why did they have to suffer in the first place? And also, Hitler was deeply religious which gives a lot to think about.

Upvote 0

soul_on_fire

Aug 21, 2008
✟7,677.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Engaged
Which verse says that God punishes people for what Adam and Eve did?

14 So the LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this,
"Cursed are you above all the livestock
and all the wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.

15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel."
16 To the woman he said,
"I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing;
with pain you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you."
17 To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,'
"Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat of it
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field. 19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return."

(sorry, it's a bit long but it gives it off ;))

Which verse says that God created them with a weak will power?

Their minds weren't strong enough to refuse the serpent and his deceiving, and seeing that God created Adam and Eve, He created them with that mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angel4Truth

Legend
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
✟65,490.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Suffering exists because of sin period. If there were no sin there would be no suffering. God doesnt want us to sin and gave full knowledge of what sin is and asks us not to do it because we bring suffering on ourselves and inflict it on others because of sinfulness.

While we are forgiven though Christ for our sins - the effects of them remain. There are still consequences for actions. for example if you hurt someone and they forgive you it wont nessesarily remove the consequences such as damage to relationship etcc. those things remain. The same with the effects of our sin - what we choose has long reaching effects.

We are not "punished" for someone elses sin - there is not one person who can claim they have never sinned even once. Suffering is the result of sin being in the world period and i believe youve been alive long to have seen at least once the effects of an action youve taken on someone else. That is what is meant by sin spread to all men. Our actions and choices to sin have long reaching effects many times even effects we have no knowledge of - causing ourselves and others to suffer.

We can be forgiven though Christ but the effects of sin will remain untill the world is made perfect without sin.

Upvote 0

rob64

Aug 19, 2008
✟8,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do people still suffer even though they got a way out of it?

First of all, there are different kinds of suffering

* Eternal - The kind of suffering a sinner has to look forward to if they reject salvation

* Temporal - The kind everyone goes through
Physical
Emotional
Psycological

I'm sure there are even more, these just came to mind
So which are you refering to?

Upvote 0

PastorJim

Jul 12, 2006
✟3,601.00
Faith
Baptist
14 So the LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this,
"Cursed are you above all the livestock
and all the wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust

15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel."
16 To the woman he said,
17 To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,'
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field. 19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return."

So, which part of this tells us that God punishes other people for Adam and Eve's sin?

Their minds weren't strong enough to refuse the serpent and his deceiving, and seeing that God created Adam and Eve, He created them with that mind.

How do you know their minds weren't strong enough to "refuse the serpent and his deceiving"?

Which verse says that?

Upvote 0

indagroove

Apr 14, 2005
USA
✟9,211.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why do people still suffer even though they got a way out of it?

Suffering comes from the who Steals, Kills, and destroys. Yes, Satan.

God does not punish. Man does that to each other. God allows free will, and man is out of control.

What people need to understand, is that favor is gained through the love of Christ. Satan no longer has authority on earth... in that we have the authority to drive Satan out of our lives. Christ paid the price, and made us Priests and Kings of our earthly kingdoms. Satan has no power in your kingdom, but you have to command it.

Man is easily tempted, and Satan loves to tempt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldChurchGuy

Feb 19, 2007
✟15,752.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

The problem of explaining suffering, as you can see by the responses, is something which has not been fully resolved. I'm not sure there is a universally accepted explanation as to why suffering exists.

Perhaps the empahsis shouldn't be trying to figure out why suffering exists but rather what is a person to do about it? Ignore it because it seems limitless? Help when and where you can?

Just a thought.

OldChurchGuy

Upvote 0

rob64

Aug 19, 2008
✟8,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God does not punish. Man does that to each other. God allows free will, and man is out of control.

What people need to understand, is that favor is gained through the love of Christ. Satan no longer has authority on earth... in that we have the authority to drive Satan out of our lives. Christ paid the price, and made us Priests and Kings of our earthly kingdoms. Satan has no power in your kingdom, but you have to command it.

I dont think the question ever was, "why does God punish people", rather, "why does God allow suffering"

And He does allow suffering, look at Job.

And God "chastens those who He loves"

And, if sinners dont repent and surrender to Jesus, they will be punished.
He is a God of judgement, among other things

Upvote 0

soul_on_fire

Aug 21, 2008
✟7,677.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Engaged
First of all, there are different kinds of suffering

* Eternal - The kind of suffering a sinner has to look forward to if they reject salvation

* Temporal - The kind everyone goes through
Physical
Emotional
Psycological

I'm sure there are even more, these just came to mind
So which are you refering to?

I was refering to the temporal ones.

Upvote 0

soul_on_fire

Aug 21, 2008
✟7,677.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Engaged
So, which part of this tells us that God punishes other people for Adam and Eve's sin?

16 To the woman he said,

I beleive that gives it off pretty well.

How do you know their minds weren't strong enough to "refuse the serpent and his deceiving"?

Which verse says that?

you don't need a verse for that. They did do it which means their minds weren't strong enough to refuse the deceiving, that's sort of logical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

soul_on_fire

Aug 21, 2008
✟7,677.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Engaged

What about diseases and sickenesess? They just come to people no matter how sinful or not they are.

Upvote 0