Why did Jesus call Judas friend in Matthew 26:50?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟88,525.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus warned about Judas, Matthew 26:
24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.

Nevertheless, later:
47 While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived. With him was a large crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the elders of the people. 48Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: “The one I kiss is the man; arrest him.” 49Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed him.
50 Jesus replied, “Do what you came for, friend.”

Was Jesus being sarcastic? Was it a cultural idiom?

Jesus called a paralyzed man "friend" in Luke 5:
18 Some men came carrying a paralyzed man on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus. 19When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus.
20 When Jesus saw their faith, he said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven.”

I don't think Jesus was being sarcastic. In Middle Eastern culture today, it is not uncommon to call even a stranger "friend". It fulfilled Psalms‬ ‭41:9‬
Even my close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread, has turned against me.

I think Jesus was applying the term to Judas ambiguously. I think that was how Judas understood it.

Last edited:

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟307,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OT reference to Judas from Psalm 41:9, which was about Ahithophel "mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted," was omitted in John 13:18 in regard to Judas and there was no OT reference to Judas in Matthew 26:50 when Jesus addressed him as friend. The word "friend" may simply refer to a comrade or companion and does not prove one's salvation status as saved. Also, Jesus would never trust an unbelieving, unclean devil who He knows will betray Him. (John 6:64-71; 13:10-11) To suggest otherwise would imply that Jesus is not omniscient. John 6:64 - But there are some of you who do not believe. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.

In the face of kindness, love and grace, Judas had a chance to repent, but still went out and betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver. This event happened AFTER Jesus had already referred to Judas as a devil (John 6:70) and declared him to be unclean. (John 13:10-11) So, Jesus was not a true friend of Judas. You don't betray a true friend. With friends like Judas Iscariot, who needs enemies!

In regard to the word "friend," elsewhere in Matthew 22:12, we read - So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. In verse 13, the next thing you know he is ‘bound hand and foot, taken away, and cast into outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟572,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Acts 1.16-17:
16 ‘Friends, the scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit through David foretold concerning Judas, who became a guide for those who arrested Jesus— 17 for he was numbered among us and was allotted his share in this ministry.’

Judas was counted as one of the apostles until he demonstrated himself to be otherwise. It should not be surprising that Jesus would address him in the manner he did.

Upvote 0