What is a faith response during trying times?

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟146,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really feel despite what I'm going through I need to strengthen my faith. What I'm going through sucks but unfortunately life can get worse. I remember a sermon I watched online about how life or the devil will try everyone Christian and non believer alike just to see if were made up of the same stuff. It just keeps ringing in my head.

Anyway, so what is a faith response when going through trying situations? How do I strengthen my faith? It's really weak right now..

Reactions: St_Worm2

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟29,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One thing that will bolster your faith is to confirm what you are really experiencing. The sermon you watched sounds spot-on correct, and further that God has a purpose behind it. To wit:

1 Peter 1:3-9 NIV

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time."

"In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls."

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,937,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Macchiato, it is REALLY hard to think this way in the midst of a particularly difficult trial, especially one that just seems like it's never going to end (it is for me anyway), but I believe that pastor Charles Spurgeon was really onto something when he said,

"I've learned to kiss the waves that throw me up against the Rock of Ages"
This is a quote that was based, at least in part, on the wonderful/wondrous promise that the Lord makes to all of us (who are or who will be His) in Romans 8:28 (a promise telling us that He will cause ~ALL~ things, both good AND bad, that is, to eventually work together for our good :amen:).

I believe that the "faith" response, then (to our trials/sufferings), should be one that is along these lines.

1. acceptance (of the difficult situation that we find ourselves in, knowing that the Lord is not only in control and knows what we are going through, but that He is, in point of fact, going through it with us)
2. trust (that He loves us and ALWAYS has our best in mind .. cf Romans 8:32, even when we cannot see it in the moment)
3. anticipation, hope, patience and wonder (anticipation and hope because of what God has promised to do for us in the future, as well what we know He has already done for us in the past, and is doing right now e.g. Romans 5:8-10, 8:28, wonder at all that He is up to as He continues to work mightily in our lives to see us sanctified/made more and more Christlike .. e.g Philippians 1:6; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; Jude 24-25, and patience to wait and see what He has in mind for us/what He is making us into and what we will finally become/what our future lives hold for us because of everything that He is doing for us now :)).
I believe that God wants to get our minds/hearts off of our life in this world/in the here and now to help us focus/contemplate instead on our future lives with Him (because He knows how vital it is for us to do so)!

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - here are a few more Christian quotes that I hope you may find helpful.

"Two words will help you cope when you run low on hope, accept and trust" ~Pastor Chuck Swindoll
"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~Pastor/theologian Arthur W. Pink
"Our vision is so limited that we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering.... The love of God did not protect His own Son.... He will not necessarily protect us - not from anything that it takes to make us like His Son. A lot of hammering and chiseling and purifying by fire will have to go into the process." ~Missionary/author Elisabeth Elliot

Sunset over a field of red flowers with Elisabeth Ellliot.jpg

Jeremiah 31:3/Deuteronomy 33:27

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟146,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello @Macchiato, it is REALLY hard to think this way in the midst of a particularly difficult trial, especially one that just seems like it's never going to end (it is for me anyway), but I believe that pastor Charles Spurgeon was really onto something when he said,

"I've learned to kiss the waves that throw me up against the Rock of Ages"
This is a quote that was based, at least in part, on the wonderful/wondrous promise that the Lord makes to all of us (who are or who will be His) in Romans 8:28 (a promise telling us that He will cause ~ALL~ things, both good AND bad, that is, to eventually work together for our good :amen:).

I believe that the "faith" response, then (to our trials/sufferings), should be one that is along these lines.

1. acceptance (of the difficult situation that we find ourselves in, knowing that the Lord is not only in control and knows what we are going through, but that He is, in point of fact, going through it with us)
2. trust (that He loves us and ALWAYS has our best in mind .. cf Romans 8:32, even when we cannot see it in the moment)
3. anticipation, hope, patience and wonder (anticipation and hope because of what God has promised to do for us in the future, as well what we know He has already done for us in the past, and is doing right now e.g. Romans 5:8-10, 8:28, wonder at all that He is up to as He continues to work mightily in our lives to see us sanctified/made more and more Christlike .. e.g Philippians 1:6; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; Jude 24-25, and patience to wait and see what He has in mind for us/what He is making us into and what we will finally become/what our future lives hold for us because of everything that He is doing for us now :)).
I believe that God wants to get our minds/hearts off of our life in this world/in the here and now to help us focus/contemplate instead on our future lives with Him (because He knows how vital it is for us to do so)!

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - here are a few more Christian quotes that I hope you may find helpful.

"Two words will help you cope when you run low on hope, accept and trust" ~Pastor Chuck Swindoll
"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~Pastor/theologian Arthur W. Pink
"Our vision is so limited that we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering.... The love of God did not protect His own Son.... He will not necessarily protect us - not from anything that it takes to make us like His Son. A lot of hammering and chiseling and purifying by fire will have to go into the process." ~Missionary/author Elisabeth Elliot

This is good. Thank you. I'm having a hard time bc of my bills. I paid last month's rent but now I have this month's to worry about. I'm not employed(I'm looking still looking) I have to go to a pantry for food, I'm worried about so many bills it's just alot. I can't sleep.

I get anxious and feel I should do more and try to claw my way out of this.

Upvote 0

Solo81

Jan 19, 2024
Gundy
✟19,697.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I assume you've told Jesus everything and asked Him for all you need and want?

When that's done, you need to just trust Him and thank Him.
Whenever anxieties, doubts and worries enter your mind, turn immediately to Him and say "Jesus, I trust in you".
It is possible to be going through uncertainty and still have peace.

Keeping you in my prayers.

Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟218,054.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I really feel despite what I'm going through I need to strengthen my faith. What I'm going through sucks but unfortunately life can get worse. I remember a sermon I watched online about how life or the devil will try everyone Christian and non believer alike just to see if were made up of the same stuff. It just keeps ringing in my head.

Anyway, so what is a faith response when going through trying situations? How do I strengthen my faith? It's really weak right now..
I could give 7 Steps To Victory but as you might guess there could really be 8,9 or 10. But I will share a few thoughts.

Find scripturas where God promises help in whatever particular area. Put your faith in them by applying thanksgiving and praise. After finding such scriptures' count your trial all joy Jm 1:2 says for us to do this. Now I used to think how unfair it is for God to ask to do this. How can one consider those things to be a joyful thing?

I eventually learned God wasn't telling us our problems are joy. He said to count them this way. eg. think of someone riding a wild bull in a rodeo. There's certainly nothing joyful in being swung around and where your hanging on for dear life! The one participating in this however is counting it all joy with the feeling of excitement that they're going to conquer this thing.

The experience isn't joyful but they choose to have a positive way of thinking about it. So what's that? The scripture you find that covers the problem you embrace that with all tenacity and through faith and patience you inherit the promise.....or in other words your help from God will if you'll stand in faith eventually materialize.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟218,054.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is good. Thank you. I'm having a hard time bc of my bills. I paid last month's rent but now I have this month's to worry about. I'm not employed(I'm looking still looking) I have to go to a pantry for food, I'm worried about so many bills it's just alot. I can't sleep.

I get anxious and feel I should do more and try to claw my way out of this.
So now that you've shared your problem there is a list of potential things you could do. As I've said find scriptures many of them that promise God to take care of you and thank him for his goodness and grace and believe that he's willing to be a help.

There are other things to consider too. I mean God can have someone come up and give you a certain sum of money.....as you know though that can be just a temporary fix. Your bigger issue is you need a job perhaps that pays you more money to survive. I've seen it over and over one comes to church seeking help.....it's given.....three months later the same thing and people make the dear one feel bad as in what did you do with what we gave you? The real problem is that they don't make enough.

Thei may need to go to school, take courses a long term plan to get put into a position where they can be hired to make more. Other things on a list of what can be done.....see your creditors and make arrangements for periods of grace or that payments can be put on the end of loans....if you have such things. Many creditors, will extend this type of mercy and things can be worked out. One thing though....don't just not pay them without talking to them prior.....that puts you in a worse place.

Another thing nobody wants to hear. What are you spending your money on? In other words budget. Most can be in denial about this but if one looks at what the do spend money on they spend stupid amounts of money each month on things which are frivolous. Maybe that's not you but it is for some. I'm ;not saying one can't spend money on their enjoyment but what you make has to be considered. Can you afford to.

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟146,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I could give 7 Steps To Victory but as you might guess there could really be 8,9 or 10. But I will share a few thoughts.

Find scripturas where God promises help in whatever particular area. Put your faith in them by applying thanksgiving and praise. After finding such scriptures' count your trial all joy Jm 1:2 says for us to do this. Now I used to think how unfair it is for God to ask to do this. How can one consider those things to be a joyful thing?

I eventually learned God wasn't telling us our problems are joy. He said to count them this way. eg. think of someone riding a wild bull in a rodeo. There's certainly nothing joyful in being swung around and where your hanging on for dear life! The one participating in this however is counting it all joy with the feeling of excitement that they're going to conquer this thing.

The experience isn't joyful but they choose to have a positive way of thinking about it. So what's that? The scripture you find that covers the problem you embrace that with all tenacity and through faith and patience you inherit the promise.....or in other words your help from God will if you'll stand in faith eventually materialize.
I'm trying to listen to sermons but I'm still anxious. I'm trying.

• Prayers
Reactions: Pop D.
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟725,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We trust God fully .... regardless of what is going on. He told us we would experience difficult times (very difficult) ... even so ... TRUST

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟146,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We trust God fully .... regardless of what is going on. He told us we would experience difficult times (very difficult) ... even so ... TRUST
I'm definitely experiencing very difficult situations from my everyday living to my failing mental health. Trust God with a failing mental health is scary.

Still, what does trust look like? I struggle with anxiety so I just.. idk have no clue.

• Prayers
Reactions: Pop D.
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In everything give thanks because God will cause all things to work together for Good. He does not ever disappoint us. I do wonder how it is so easy to forget the difficult times we go through.

Upvote 0