Pennsylvania
✟796,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
As you stated, "the truth does not need to be validated, truth is truth. I'm quite curious to know the truth, as I have been seeking for decades.
Great! I'm glad to hear it.

If God merely imposes His will upon me, then nothing I do here, including reading any of these links, is going to help. So why do you send them? Isn't apologetics to rationally defend your position? If your position is rationally sound, then I would have no choice but to accept it, right?
I'm not sure what you mean by "merely imposes his will upon me..." You asked for the best, which to my mind is the simple logic of the cosmological argument: First Cause. I don't represent it as well, or as convincingly as Aquinas and a hundred others, do. For one thing, I use too many words.

No, rationally sound won't convince you of itself, or at least, it won't do more than to convince you that there is first cause, or maybe even a god. Being convinced that First Cause is God, as you have said, is a step beyond that. And the Faith that God generates within someone is not accomplished by mere intellectual agreement.

Remember what I informed you about, a few posts back? I asked if we were going to need to explore Aquinas. I find it quite interesting how so many God believers reference him, time and time again.

Point me to the most compelling piece, from among these links, and we can dig in if you like...

Oh no, nononono! I'm going to hold your video hostage until you agree to read them yourself! (jk)

No, I had forgotten you said that. Interesting! Hmmm, well, I'll have to look at them again, but the problem is, I'm not even sure what the goal is, here are you asking for something compelling concerning the existence of cause-and-effect's first cause? I'm not at all sure you haven't heard the arguments before, nor that mere rational thinking will be compelling to you. After all, smarter people than you and I dispute the logic of all of Aquinas' 5 ways. I think they are wrong, but we could take the rest of our lives talking about them.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
As you stated, "the truth does not need to be validated, truth is truth. I'm quite curious to know the truth, as I have been seeking for decades.

If God merely imposes His will upon me, then nothing I do here, including reading any of these links, is going to help. So why do you send them? Isn't apologetics to rationally defend your position? If your position is rationally sound, then I would have no choice but to accept it, right?

Remember what I informed you about, a few posts back? I asked if we were going to need to explore Aquinas. I find it quite interesting how so many God believers reference him, time and time again.

Point me to the most compelling piece, from among these links, and we can dig in if you like...
Ok, I listened to the whole thing. I have to admit to some disappointment —I thought he would be more compelling than that, but my biggest disappointment was in finding out you were basically quoting him all this time. I had assumed it was your own thoughts. No wonder I wasn't quite getting the context in which you were talking.

Anyhow, I tried to listen without bias, but it wasn't quite possible. He repeated, various times, the idea that Christianity is just another religion, and he went so far as to claim that Christianity and its claims came (after and his logic says that therefore it got its tenets from) several other similar religions/myths/legends. Seems to me just as likely that they all got their ideas from the truth, whether directly or indirectly, from the same facts that the Old Testament with its prophecies came from: The Gospel of Redemption was known by Adam.

Among his ideas concerning that Christianity is just another religion, is the notion that faith is the same thing, regardless of the religion, for eg, that faith in Zeus is no less compelling than Faith in YHWH. Also, supposing Darwinian Evolution to be true, I don't see evidence that genetics had anything to do with the tendency of humanity to make his "type 1 error". It isn't compelling. But then, neither is Darwinian Evolution.

But at least it brought together for me, some of the things you had been saying.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Here I'm just referencing the '5 ways', not necessarily my favorite link.

This is probably my favorite of Aquinas' "5 ways", since it has a unique way of proving infinite regression of causes (eternal universe) doesn't work:

The Second Way: Argument from Efficient Causes

1. We perceive a series of efficient causes of things in the world.
  2. Nothing exists prior to itself.
  3. Therefore nothing [in the world of things we perceive] is the efficient cause of itself.
  4. If a previous efficient cause does not exist, neither does the thing that results (the effect).
  5. Therefore if the first thing in a series does not exist, nothing in the series exists.
  6. If the series of efficient causes extends ad infinitum into the past, for then there would be no things existing now.
  7. That is plainly false (i.e., there are things existing now that came about through efficient causes).
  8. Therefore efficient causes do not extend ad infinitum into the past.
  9. Therefore it is necessary to admit a first efficient cause, to which everyone gives the name of God.
The third way I like almost as much.
The Third Way: Argument from Possibility and Necessity (Reductio argument)

1. We find in nature things that are possible to be and not to be, that come into being and go out of being i.e., contingent beings.
  2. Assume that every being is a contingent being.
  3. For each contingent being, there is a time it does not exist.
  4. Therefore it is impossible for these always to exist.
  5. Therefore there could have been a time when no things existed.
  6. Therefore at that time there would have been nothing to bring the currently existing contingent beings into existence.
  7. Therefore, nothing would be in existence now.
  8. We have reached an absurd result from assuming that every being is a contingent being.
  9. Therefore not every being is a contingent being.
  10. Therefore some being exists of its own necessity, and does not receive its existence from another being, but rather causes them. This all men speak of as God.

I myself have several reasons related to these and others of his five causes.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Ok, I listened to the whole thing. I have to admit to some disappointment —I thought he would be more compelling than that, but my biggest disappointment was in finding out you were basically quoting him all this time. I had assumed it was your own thoughts. No wonder I wasn't quite getting the context in which you were talking.

Anyhow, I tried to listen without bias, but it wasn't quite possible. He repeated, various times, the idea that Christianity is just another religion, and he went so far as to claim that Christianity and its claims came (after and his logic says that therefore it got its tenets from) several other similar religions/myths/legends. Seems to me just as likely that they all got their ideas from the truth, whether directly or indirectly, from the same facts that the Old Testament with its prophecies came from: The Gospel of Redemption was known by Adam.

Among his ideas concerning that Christianity is just another religion, is the notion that faith is the same thing, regardless of the religion, for eg, that faith in Zeus is no less compelling than Faith in YHWH. Also, supposing Darwinian Evolution to be true, I don't see evidence that genetics had anything to do with the tendency of humanity to make his "type 1 error". It isn't compelling. But then, neither is Darwinian Evolution.

But at least it brought together for me, some of the things you had been saying.

Thank you greatly for watching... Like I told you prior, he would likely be the last person I'd use as a debate partner. I've watched him in formal debate before.

The reason I referred you to this video, was that the second you informed me about your passed, many many many posts ago, it reminded me of this video. You were indoctrinated early. As we conversed, I could not help but to keep being reminded of this passed watched video.

Trust me, I have plenty of 'my own thoughts'. But we must all admit, and also according to you, none of our thoughts ARE original ;) If you ponder something, it's likely already out there in the ether somewhere :) If you have 'your own thought', I'm sure I can dig up content, and find reference of a prior argument, or other, which parallels yours.

It's like someone here whom told me, when I first joined... "There is nothing new under the sun." However, we also now have 'science', which does at least, for us humans, demonstrate new stuff ;)

Philosophical ideas just keep getting repurposed and rebranded, over and over and over again. So here's a point, not made in the video...

If there exists no new thoughts... And all ideas have already been vetted out; over and over and over again, by all passed and present 'great thinkers', and the question of "God's" existence still runs just as 'unanswered' as before, one must ask.... Is it logical to merely 'armchair philosophize' God into existence?

Whether it be Aquinas, or any other passed philosopher, is their given postulations 'proof' for the existence of God.?.?.?.? You admitted yourself, there are no new ideas to investigate. Thus, if there will exist no new ideas, we must completely evaluate the existing ideas, as given.

Now lets shift gears, and think about 'science.' NEW scientific discoveries happen all the time. Please refer back to the 'flat-earther' example... (this is not an attempt at a red herring, please stay with me).

I could debate a 'flat-earther'. The first question I would ask myself might be... "Why does (s)he feel the earth is flat?" It's likely related to the Bible, whether (s)he admits to such, or not.

I would start my argument by stating that 7K years ago, evidence demonstrated a flat earth. 100 years ago, evidence demonstrated a perfect sphere. 25 years ago, evidence demonstrated a pear shaped earth. My question to them would be... Is it possible the earth is not pear shaped? YES.

However, will NEW evidence ever again demonstrate a flat earth? Or, can we safely rule out this prior notion? The flat-earther will still likely cleave to his/her position, in spite of all evidence to the contrary. The question becomes, why? Is it based upon logic or emotion?

The same goes for other Biblical assertions. I can now safely rule it out of the equation. FOR ME, it's a battle between logic and emotion. The logic tells me, even after reading Genesis, that hardly anything in there jibes with later human discovery. Thus, I must reject the "truth" of this doctrine. The emotional side of me wants to cleave to it, and rationalize all the parts which seem clearly false (i.e.) "These stories are allegorical/other/other." By the time I get to the 'resurrection' claim, I will have had to do so many times.

Though it's true that Christianity likely borrowed it's stories from already circulating stories, this is not what deems Christianity false; at least from my perspective. For me, if many stories seem not to fit with later NEW discovery, of how the earth actually works, then my logic tells me to reject the doctrine; in SPITE of my indoctrinated emotional side. This is where you and I look to diverge :)

You seem to want to use philosophical arguments, to postulate God? I disagree that 'philosophy' can prove God. For ME to believe in God, I would instead require some form of 'revelation' of His existence. The Bible has these claims in spades. Many claims to 'special revelation' are there. BUT... So are the many falsifiable claims; such as a flood, an Exodus, etc... For me, it requires quite a bit of 'navigation', to ignore some claims, but accept others, when the Book itself states it's all true.

I won't reference the video footage anymore, I hope. But I do still feel your belief is driven from indoctrination and invoking agency without penalty (if false). Indoctrination is a very hard component to shake. I STILL find myself asking, from time to time, what if...? Even though the logical side of me has absolutely no problem rejecting the assertion, due to 'lack in evidence.' This is because we all inherited the instinct to invoke intention all the time, for survival.

I might post a second response here... I do not want you to feel you have been duped. I find that you and I are more-so similar, than we differ. I feel we have much in common. The question remains, why do you remain a believer, where I do not?

Follow up Q:

If the 'first cause' argument was dedunked, to your own personal satisfaction, would you have no choice but to then reject the assertion of YHWH?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you greatly for watching... Like I told you prior, he would likely be the last person I'd use as a debate partner. I've watched him in formal debate before.

The reason I referred you to this video, was that the second you informed me about your passed, many many many posts ago, it reminded me of this video. You were indoctrinated early. As we conversed, I could not help but to keep being reminded of this passed watched video.

Trust me, I have plenty of 'my own thoughts'. But we must all admit, and also according to you, none of our thoughts ARE original ;) If you ponder something, it's likely already out there in the ether somewhere :) If you have 'your own thought', I'm sure I can dig up content, and find reference of a prior argument, or other, which parallels yours.

It's like someone here whom told me, when I first joined... "There is nothing new under the sun." However, we also now have 'science', which does at least, for us humans, demonstrate new stuff ;)

Philosophical ideas just keep getting repurposed and rebranded, over and over and over again. So here's a point, not made in the video...

If there exists no new thoughts... And all ideas have already been vetted out; over and over and over again, by all passed and present 'great thinkers', and the question of "God's" existence still runs just as 'unanswered' as before, one must ask.... Is it logical to merely 'armchair philosophize' God into existence?

Whether it be Aquinas, or any other passed philosopher, is their given postulations 'proof' for the existence of God.?.?.?.? You admitted yourself, there are no new ideas to investigate. Thus, if there will exist no new ideas, we must completely evaluate the existing ideas, as given.

Now lets shift gears, and think about 'science.' NEW scientific discoveries happen all the time. Please refer back to the 'flat-earther' example... (this is not an attempt at a red herring, please stay with me).

I could debate a 'flat-earther'. The first question I would ask myself might be... "Why does (s)he feel the earth is flat?" It's likely related to the Bible, whether (s)he admits to such, or not.

I would start my argument by stating that 7K years ago, evidence demonstrated a flat earth. 100 years ago, evidence demonstrated a perfect sphere. 25 years ago, evidence demonstrated a pear shaped earth. My question to them would be... Is it possible the earth is not pear shaped? YES.

However, will NEW evidence ever again demonstrate a flat earth? Or, can we safely rule out this prior notion? The flat-earther will still likely cleave to his/her position, in spite of all evidence to the contrary. The question becomes, why? Is it based upon logic or emotion?

The same goes for other Biblical assertions. I can now safely rule it out of the equation. FOR ME, it's a battle between logic and emotion. The logic tells me, even after reading Genesis, that hardly anything in there jibes with later human discovery. Thus, I must reject the "truth" of this doctrine. The emotional side of me wants to cleave to it, and rationalize all the parts which seem clearly false (i.e.) "These stories are allegorical/other/other." By the time I get to the 'resurrection' claim, I will have had to do so many times.

Though it's true that Christianity likely borrowed it's stories from already circulating stories, this is not what deems Christianity false; at least from my perspective. For me, if many stories seem not to fit with later NEW discovery, of how the earth actually works, then my logic tells me to reject the doctrine; in SPITE of my indoctrinated emotional side. This is where you and I look to diverge :)

You seem to want to use philosophical arguments, to postulate God? I disagree that 'philosophy' can prove God. For ME to believe in God, I would instead require some form of 'revelation' of His existence. The Bible has these claims in spades. Many claims to 'special revelation' are there. BUT... So are the many falsifiable claims; such as a flood, an Exodus, etc... For me, it requires quite a bit of 'navigation', to ignore some claims, but accept others, when the Book itself states it's all true.

I won't reference the video footage anymore, I hope. But I do still feel your belief is driven from indoctrination and invoking agency without penalty (if false). Indoctrination is a very hard component to shake. I STILL find myself asking, from time to time, what if...? Even though the logical side of me has absolutely no problem rejecting the assertion, due to 'lack in evidence.' This is because we all inherited the instinct to invoke intention all the time, for survival.

I might post a second response here... I do not want you to feel you have been duped. I find that you and I are more-so similar, than we differ. I feel we have much in common. The question remains, why do you remain a believer, where I do not?

Follow up Q:

If the 'first cause' argument was dedunked, to your own personal satisfaction, would you have no choice but to then reject the assertion of YHWH?
I have too much to do right now to answer this in what I feel like would be fair fashion, but I want to remark, your very last question, "If the 'first cause' argument was dedunked, to your own personal satisfaction, would you have no choice but to then reject the assertion of YHWH?" points at what we discussed, maybe in the first few posts of our correspondence. It is a telling question. If 'first cause' becomes to me, intellectually untenable, the very notion of 'God' must change, perhaps even fall —but there's the thing—well, two things— as you have intimated, a large part of my intellectual bias is the result of what I firmly believe quite apart from the intellect. That belief is what I have tried to explain —while I admit that I am not unaffected by what you call early indoctrination, it is not the indoctrination that keeps me, but the faith that I insist is not generated by my mind and will.

It might seem to you, then, that I am not intellectually honest or at least that I am not being reasonable to think that it is ok that my faith will not allow me to drop the notion of first cause —even I can see that sounds extremely biased— (also, I admit I could be wrong that it will not allow me to drop the notion of first cause, because I must admit that my logical structure can be reorganized if there is something else upon which to base the notion: 'God') —where was I? (this reminds my easily deviated mind of the way people criticize Calvinism for not allowing the possibility of the elect to fall, as though Calvinism claims it was all automatic and no effort by the believer is necessary) —It might seem to you, I say, to be intellectually dishonest to say my belief in First Cause is intellectual, if I also say that my faith will keep me believing in first cause if I find it intellectually untenable. So then, I think it will turn out to be impossible to find it intellectually untenable, admittedly possibly because of faith's bias, but not because of indoctrination.

Well! This has gone longer than I anticipated. I need to get back to work. Yeah, this is fun.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
So then, I think it will turn out to be impossible to find it intellectually untenable, admittedly possibly because of faith's bias, but not because of indoctrination.

Then please pardon me, if I completely refrain from responding to the (already heavily argued Aquinas arguments), until you figure it out :) Let me know.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Well, I disagree. Science has no new proof that anything is uncaused. Logic and principle still remain the same. I could be wrong, in that science and maybe philosophy will come up with new principles that will push them in the directions they want to go, but obviously I doubt it.

Your propositional logic begins with IF —thus, IF the "question of "God's" existence still runs just as 'unanswered' as before...". Yet your words there imply it currently runs unanswered, or at least ran unanswered before (whenever that was). I disagree. It has been answered.

Well, I'll have to admit you have a busy mind.

7K years ago, evidence was not understood, but it still demonstrated a globe earth. Also, we don't exactly have a pear shaped earth, but yeah, I know what you mean, the Globe is not perfectly round.

You seem to draw the illogical conclusion that if the flat-earther believes what he does because of the Bible that therefore Bible-derived beliefs, or at least, beliefs that are clung to because of the Bible, are therefore not worth keeping.

You claim that Christianity likely borrowed its stories from already circulating stories. I can't help thinking then, that you consider it beneath reason to believe the Bible is true as written. Dr. What's his name, of the video, made pretty much the same claim, adding that Christianity came after other similar religions. He is wrong, and that was a pretty sloppy statement, factually, implying the whole business began 2K years ago. Christianity didn't suddenly just pop up from a vacuum —it has been around since the Garden, or to my thinking, before; the Gospel has been the whole plan from Creation. The fall and redemption, God's providing a way for man to be with him, have been a theme from the get-go. Why assume then, that Christianity got its notions from other sources? Why not consider that Christ was the prophesied Messiah, even described in the very beginning?

The cosmological argument is sufficient proof. It does not lack evidence. The evidence is all around us. What is lacking is the evidence for the not only unsubstantiated stop gaps of eternal universe, or infinite regression of cause, or the eyeballs-turned-backwards pantheism of "The universe is God", but the reason is lacking to support the failure to discard them. The cosmological argument is a simple long-chain cause-and-effect logic. The universe is an effect, which had a cause. I have yet to hear a valid objection to that.

As I think I have said before, I remain a believer for mainly two reasons: 1. One is intellectual: the cosmological argument, and the failure of alternatives. (This is theism, and Abrahamic in nature.) 2. The other is Faith not generated by me. (This is Christianity.) BTW, both these are affirmed 'experimentally' (i.e. experientially) —which seems to be a requirement of science. The fact you have not experienced what I have is no indicator to me that my belief is faulty.

If you should protest that the interpretation of my experience is most likely confirmation bias, then I say so is the interpretation of evidence for Darwinian Evolution, and I don't know how many other theories. I think it more likely that certain presuppositions have been assumed true throughout, that are supposedly proven, but are not. They look for data to confirm their predictions, and they find it. Of Course they find it! After all, when they find it, it must have been what was predicted! But I say this not to debate Evolution, but to show I'm as much a skeptic as you are— maybe more. The slavish affection for sloppy science, such as Global Warmi... er, Climate Change, having become a political matter, and a power play, and the public being pressured into accepting it, is all the reason I need to doubt it. Same goes for Coronavirus. Same goes for election integrity. The "noise against", or the cancelling of, protesting voices, instead of debate, is too much for me.

If you wish to show me that I'm wrong concerning Evolution, then have at it. But I've given up believing either side anymore. (Ken Ham included, lol).

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Those links were only the first ones to come up. Naturally, the Reformed site (Ligonier, RC Sproul's site) I liked best, though I find Descartes Causal Argument interesting in that I don't understand it, not being well-versed in philosophical language. I don't know what he means by 'idea' if his thinking is valid. He says, "Ideas have an objective reality". I don't know why he says that, because it seems rather obvious to me that some don't. So I'm guessing he means something else I'm not seeing.
Descartes' Causal Argument for the Existence of God on JSTOR

Descartes Argument as shown at the above site does sound like the Ontological Arguments that I have read, and they too are unconvincing to me. In fact, if I understand them right, they imply things exist simply by our thinking they exist! The Ontological Argument

Enough for tonight.

Upvote 0