The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

This really disturbs me, and I think it would disturb most traditional Christians, to see a central part of the iconography of their tradition abused by Unitarian Universalists in order to make a statement about religious equivalence and syncretism.

I have half a mind to send them a letter of complaint and CC every Eastern Orthodox parish priest in Albuquerque, who might be unaware of it. Of course, they are also abusing all forms of the Cross insofar as the UUA as a denomination is almost entirely apostate, and is entirely heterodox, which is why Unitarian Universalists are not considered Christians on CF.com, very properly, I might add.

So naturally this sort of thing is extremely annoying.

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟422,019.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1715669794297.png

I am not sure why they are displaying this symbol

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟422,019.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am not sure what else it would be,and I am not sure why a unitarian chur h would use it.
Could they have accidentally discovered something true? Could they be the first UU congregation to embrace Orthodoxy?

Probably not, but then why appropriate such symbols?

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

This really disturbs me, and I think it would disturb most traditional Christians, to see a central part of the iconography of their tradition abused by Unitarian Universalists in order to make a statement about religious equivalence and syncretism.

I have half a mind to send them a letter of complaint and CC every Eastern Orthodox parish priest in Albuquerque, who might be unaware of it. Of course, they are also abusing all forms of the Cross insofar as the UUA as a denomination is almost entirely apostate, and is entirely heterodox, which is why Unitarian Universalists are not considered Christians on CF.com, very properly, I might add.

So naturally this sort of thing is extremely annoying.
I listened to her speak and … yuck. It is appropriation. Tell them you aren’t the only one objecting to it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It looks like a Trinitarian trefoil.
It also looks like a cool logo for a sci-fi alien species that could be emblazoned on the side of a starship. :)

But yeah, appropriation is not okay.

• Haha
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I listened to her speak and … yuck. It is appropriation. Tell them you aren’t the only one objecting to it.

Indeed, that’s why I tagged this thread, among other things, “disgusting heretics,” because regular heretics just doesn’t seem to cut the mustard as far as these wackos are concerned. Actually come to think of it I wish I had tagged it wackos as well…that would seem apt. Admittedly uncharitable, but so are the invectives UUAs hurl at bona fide Christians.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟433,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ughhh. Get out of my former home-city, you bunch of syncretist weirdos. I see they are displaying the ankh/crux ansata, as well. I suppose they are at least catholic in terms of who they offend. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Ughhh. Get out of my former home-city, you bunch of syncretist weirdos. I see they are displaying the ankh/crux ansata, as well. I suppose they are at least catholic in terms of who they offend. :(

So do you think I should write them a letter of complaint? Also if anyone wanted to co-sign or perhaps forward it to churches from their denomination or otherwise communicate with those churches to see if they would like the fake occult cross, the Eastern Orthodox cross and other denomination-specific symbols, such as the Trinitarian trefoil, removed, I would be open to that.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟433,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I personally wouldn't bother, since if strongly-worded letters were able to get heretics to reform themselves, then presumably Nestorius would've listened to St. Cyril and come back to the Church with a spirit of repentance. But of course it is each person's duty to act in accordance with their conscience, so if you feel it would be helpful, go for it.

• Useful
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I personally wouldn't bother, since if strongly-worded letters were able to get heretics to reform themselves, then presumably Nestorius would've listened to St. Cyril and come back to the Church with a spirit of repentance. But of course it is each person's duty to act in accordance with their conscience, so if you feel it would be helpful, go for it.

Ultimately I think what I will do is call a few of the Eastern Orthodox priests in Albuquerque and ask them how they would feel about me writing a letter, in my own name. Perhaps one of them will want to send the letter himself.

Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0