dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟626,842.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are so many genres in film it's mind blowing.
I grew up on various film eras including black and white (horror), 50's alien horror/scifi, and horror in general.
It's not a bad genre. The same minds that gave us "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" that was somewhat based off a real person also gave us "The Passion of the Christ". They can show us the minds of people who are for and against God. Who think their faith is strong when in reality it is weak; "The Exorcist".
I've spent many years in enjoying and learning about film.
God made us so special and unique on a level most don't understand. Even bad movies have a story to tell (Sharnknado 1-5).
IMO, one could watch an "evil" movie and still learn a lot from it. If Hollywood is even remotely right on exorcisms, the effect on the body, and how they are done then that should scary everyone.

There was a book I came across, when looking up some links for this thread - its called Divine Horror - - I don't know anything about it other than its a series of essays by various authors and one was about The Omen - the Wikipedia article draws a bit on that essay in its analysis of the film.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟626,842.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I see there are actually five novels in the Omen series. The first three are novelisations of the films. The fourth and fifth are by someone called Gordon McGill. I don't know that the fourth has anything to do with the Omen 4 : The Awakening film? Has anyone read the novels?

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟626,842.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yeah but that may be more for the 2nd or 3rd movie. There is something about "the Angel Isle" that is England.

I was trying to find that quote about the Angel Isle in the films, and eventually found it in the third film. Damien claims to be reading from the book of Hebron. I could find no Book of Hebron in any Bible, or Apocrapha so I think that bit was just made up?

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was trying to find that quote about the Angel Isle in the films, and eventually found it in the third film. Damien claims to be reading from the book of Hebron. I could find no Book of Hebron in any Bible, or Apocrapha so I think that bit was just made up?

I think this sort of thing happens when writers are familiar with the kind of tone and sound of the Bible from some experience in childhood, but aren't Christians where they can actually use some actual passages from the Psalms or prophet Isaiah, so they take poetic license with the Bible. It's all about crafting a narrative, and working with what ya got especially if you are not motivated to do some serious background study and just being efficient to turn in something for that pay check.

Upvote 0