Feb 28, 2002
Mathias WV
Visit site
✟29,098.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I've lived in West Virginia all my life and I can't imagine ever living anywhere without mountains. It's funny but before I logged on I was reading a newspaper clipping I keep pasted to the flyleaf of my bible, I'm going to post it here.

The Hills
It was the shepherds on the lonely hilltop, out where the night sky lay close and the feel of the earth was familiar to their feet who heard the angels singing and followed the star. They followed it over the hills to the hill town of Bethelhem and it was there, in the stable at the inn, that they saw the wonder. In a stable on a hill in Judea.

It was among the hills, that the story began, where the stars came close and the night winds were the winds of song. And, as we know the later story, the hills and the open country where He was born were to be always there in His life and in His teachings. His parables had the strength of the hills and their simplicity. He knew the land. He knew it intimately, and its birds, its beasts, its shrubs and bushes. The sermon in which the enduring principles for which He stood was most simply and eloquently set forth is still known as the Sermon on the Mount. He knew the seaside and the valley, but best of all He knew the hills. And in the end He climbed the fearsome slope of the hill known as Gethsemane.

The story is both brief and simple. Luke, the physician, set it down in four hundred words. Others expanded it, but always and ever, it had the thread of the hilltops running through it, the everlasting hills, where it began. It was on the hilltop that the unforgettable words were said: "Fear not." And the enduring song: "On earth peace,goodwill toward men." We read the story again and again, and always with the hush and the awe, and with the sense of stars gleaming on the hilltops.

An Editorial New York Times, Dec. 25, 1955

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Hope you have a good imagination... :D

Sinbad has a clip in one of his comedy routines,where he talks about the reason he went into the airforce,it was to see places,like Germany ,Italy...he got stationed in Kansas.He said "there are no trees in Kansas,you see skinny birds flyin around cause they were wore out from no place to land,and that when you get lost,you tell them that you're next to a pile of dead birds..."sorry,it wasn't EXACTLY like that,but it sure made me laugh,and you reminded me of that...lol...I know,pretty goofy...but anyway... yes,I love the mountains....geez I crack myself up!!!!! :p

Living for him !!! :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

two feathers

of the wilderness
Apr 22, 2002
A broken world
✟9,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the mountains

my home away from home

a sanctuary providing unparalleled solitude and silence where god's voice can clearly be heard

"keep close to nature's heart...and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. wash your spirit clean." - john muir

Upvote 0