• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The Holy Spirit rejects me...now what?

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wish that there was some indication that the holy spirit was present in my life but I can't find any. It is getting to the point where I can't read the bible for more than 5 minutes without having an anxiety attack because as I'm reading it I get more questions than answers. It's the same thing every day and I'm making no progress whatsoever. The rejection is also very evident in my life. I am mediocre at everything, single, no friends, and generally totally useless. When I try to help people it ends up making things worse so I feel zero joy in doing that now. I avoid people entirely because my life is jinxed. If God wants to make his presence known to YOU then he is doing the exact opposite with me. He wants to be as hidden as possible and as distant as possible.

Please don't suggest that I find a devout christian to meet with regularly and go over this. Absolutely everyone I have ever met is a worse christian than I am or an outright atheist. I am totally alone in figuring this out and the Holy Spirit has zero interest in widening my mind.

Is this supposed to be emotional? Affecting the heart? My heart is completely broken and dead. I feel nothing. Breathing but not alive.

Everywhere I look there is nothing but ruin. If you make sacrifices to help people it ends up being for nothing because their lives get destroyed anyway. Prayers are NEVER answered. We go from despair to despair every day. It is utterly impossible for me to believe that God is near to us. He seems incredibly distant and aloof.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I wish that there was some indication that the holy spirit was present in my life but I can't find any. It is getting to the point where I can't read the bible for more than 5 minutes without having an anxiety attack because as I'm reading it I get more questions than answers. It's the same thing every day and I'm making no progress whatsoever. The rejection is also very evident in my life. I am mediocre at everything, single, no friends, and generally totally useless. When I try to help people it ends up making things worse so I feel zero joy in doing that now. I avoid people entirely because my life is jinxed. If God wants to make his presence known to YOU then he is doing the exact opposite with me. He wants to be as hidden as possible and as distant as possible.

Please don't suggest that I find a devout christian to meet with regularly and go over this. Absolutely everyone I have ever met is a worse christian than I am or an outright atheist. I am totally alone in figuring this out and the Holy Spirit has zero interest in widening my mind.

Is this supposed to be emotional? Affecting the heart? My heart is completely broken and dead. I feel nothing. Breathing but not alive.

Everywhere I look there is nothing but ruin. If you make sacrifices to help people it ends up being for nothing because their lives get destroyed anyway. Prayers are NEVER answered. We go from despair to despair every day. It is utterly impossible for me to believe that God is near to us. He seems incredibly distant and aloof.

:heart: I don't know if words will help, as sometimes words do not suffice, so i will pray for your broken heart, lifting you up and all your brokenness and numbness to the One Who can intervene and minister when we cannot. I am thankful that you posted. God hears you, knows you, and loves you. ((hug)))

• Friendly
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Lol, welcome to christianhood.

If you are seeking Him in the Word and prayer, then you are starting to find Him. Holy Spirit is there the moment you accept Him as Lord and Savior.

I've been ( and still have) the periods of despair, when I feel like God had left me in the dark on life. But His Word has always proven my dark thoughts wrong.

First advice: Cut yourself slack. Allow yourself to grow in Him and get to know Him more.Keep questioning and keep communicating in prayer. He does reveal himself, sometimes you have to just pause yourself.
Second advice: Get use to the periods of isolation, and enjoy being in the company of God
Third advice: Periods of isolation brings you closer to God, but fellowship helps you stay there.Don't self-isolate yourself too long. Fellowship with others, ask them about their day, ask them to pray for you, challenge yourself and be a friend to someone else.

God isn't here to condemn us. He loves us, His children. And will put things in fruition in its right timing. But reject you? Nah.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
United States
✟20,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

It is not a matter of God being distant from you, but the opposite. Look at the story of Job. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way in order to learn at all. Are you angry at anyone? Do you hold anyone in judgement? Those are the types of things that make God appear invisible because God has nothing to do with those things and cannot be found where they are present. You can either surrender to His way or continue with yours. If you have asked for God's help, that is what you're getting, simply because it seems negative to you does not mean it is.

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is not a matter of God being distant from you, but the opposite. Look at the story of Job. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way in order to learn at all. Are you angry at anyone? Do you hold anyone in judgement? Those are the types of things that make God appear invisible because God has nothing to do with those things and cannot be found where they are present. You can either surrender to His way or continue with yours. If you have asked for God's help, that is what you're getting, simply because it seems negative to you does not mean it is.

What did Job learn from his suffering? As soon as it was over he gained twice as much back.

I can't even imagine being as blessed as Job...but I fully understand why he cried out

and to answer your question. There might be some resentment buried somewhere in my psyche but for most of the day I'm just cold as ice. I expect nothing but more misery for everyone that I come in contact with and more humiliation for me. There is nothing that anyone can do to stop this and God has zero interest in making his presence known in any way. It never ends and I don't even expect it to end...but I have nothing left to do but cry out to God even if he never answers. The closest I ever come to Joy is the quiet icey void.

Tomorrow I will put on a big smiley face, do my duty, and pretend to be a sane person.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What did Job learn from his suffering? As soon as it was over he gained twice as much back.

I can't even imagine being as blessed as Job...but I fully understand why he cried out

and to answer your question. There might be some resentment buried somewhere in my psyche but for most of the day I'm just cold as ice. I expect nothing but more misery for everyone that I come in contact with and more humiliation for me. There is nothing that anyone can do to stop this and God has zero interest in making his presence known in any way. It never ends and I don't even expect it to end...but I have nothing left to do but cry out to God even if he never answers. The closest I ever come to Joy is the quiet icey void.

Tomorrow I will put on a big smiley face, do my duty, and pretend to be a sane person.

:heart: i understand, believe me i do. Praying for you (((hug)))

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Depression, loneliness and hopelessness is a common place where God draws a person to Himself. Sometimes a person needs to be stripped of everything in life before God gets their attention. Sometimes it's with a loss of a loved one, a job, material wealth, failure or this emptiness and hopelessness that you have.
A person needs to be aware that their way, their throne, their life doesn't work before they can have that divine appointment. It's a realization that your need the LORD. By you turning to the LORD, which is what repentance means and also that you are sorry for your sins is where we all start.

<staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

Goosebumps do not equal the presence of God.

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Depression, loneliness and hopelessness is a common place where God draws a person to Himself. Sometimes a person needs to be stripped of everything in life before God gets their attention. Sometimes it's with a loss of a loved one, a job, material wealth, failure or this emptiness and hopelessness that you have.
A person needs to be aware that their way, their throne, their life doesn't work before they can have that divine appointment. It's a realization that your need the LORD. By you turning to the LORD, which is what repentance means and also that you are sorry for your sins is where we all start.
<staff edit>

God is refusing to provide understanding, guidance, and protection. About an hour ago I tried reading the book of Mark...I made it a minute and thirty seconds before my mind completely shut down and went semi-comatose. What does it mean? Do I have some sort of sin blocking the inter-spiritual communication or whatever you would call it?

I'm just completely burnt out!

It's like God is saying "I refuse to even talk to you in your current state"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think you missed the point of my previous post: feeling have nothing to do with the presence of God. He is there whether it feels like it or not.

So we're supposed to figure it all out?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We walk by faith not sight. (2 corinthians 5), this means we look at eternal things rather than temporary things such as suffering for example

and we glory in tribulation as well. Romans 5, tribulation is the path into the kingdom

In my opinion.

2 Corinthians 12:9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We walk by faith not sight. (2 corinthians 5), this means we look at eternal things rather than temporary things such as suffering for example

and we glory in tribulation as well. Romans 5, tribulation is the path into the kingdom

In my opinion.

2 Corinthians 12:9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

That I get. Life is so awful that there really is no other choice but to live like only eternity matters.

But there is still absolutely no indication that God is present with us and he outright demands that we believe it or else! We don't even have the option to wait on him. We have to have absolute faith or he completely withdraws from us and we become nothing but dumb animals floating through life :(

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That I get. Life is so awful that there really is no other choice but to live like only eternity matters.

But there is still absolutely no indication that God is present with us and he outright demands that we believe it or else! We don't even have the option to wait on him. We have to have absolute faith or he completely withdraws from us and we become nothing but dumb animals floating through life :(
I would encourage you to meditate on the letters from the apostle paul, along with the beatitudes. Ive seen a lot of suffering too, but i found hope and purpose in the teaching from Paul. IT's my opinion that no matter why we suffer it can work good. All things work good if we decide to love God. (Romans 8)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The sum of the faith can be reduce to believing the message of Jesus, as related in the gospels. Being able to keep the message is impossible unless the Father brings you to the Son. You might have read it and rejoiced, but then the worries and desires of the world make you forget. Or Satan does.

The Spirit keeps it in your heart.

Is this unknown to you, what I am saying?

It sounds like you may have realized the message of Christ, rejoiced when you heard it, but then fell away because the Father did not bring you to the Son. Yet.

Let me know, as this can be changed for your benefit.

The body is the temple/church, btw. I never send anyone to a church, though I am not opposed to them.

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The sum of the faith can be reduce to believing the message of Jesus, as related in the gospels. Being able to keep the message is impossible unless the Father brings you to the Son. You might have read it and rejoiced, but then the worries and desires of the world make you forget. Or Satan does.

The Spirit keeps it in your heart.

Is this unknown to you, what I am saying?

It sounds like you may have realized the message of Christ, rejoiced when you heard it, but then fell away because the Father did not bring you to the Son. Yet.

Let me know, as this can be changed for your benefit.

The body is the temple/church, btw. I never send anyone to a church, though I am not opposed to them.

If he doesn't want to bring me to the son then doesn't that mean I'm basically rejected? Wouldn't be overly surprising. I'm used to being a piece of crap.

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If he doesn't want to bring me to the son then doesn't that mean I'm basically rejected? Wouldn't be overly surprising. I'm used to being a piece of crap.

Why is your nick "darksoul"? <staff edit>

Maybe tell me more about your self. What do you do for a living? Male or female? Age? Some accomplishments?

TRUST means you trust God. Or are willing to trust God.

Do you have severe trust issues?

Like with people?

Do you talk and tell other people such things?

What do you have confidence in?

In your life. A person? A food you like? A car? Plane? That you can accomplish some task you do everyday?

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why is your nick "darksoul"?<staff edit>
Maybe tell me more about your self. What do you do for a living? Male or female? Age? Some accomplishments?

TRUST means you trust God. Or are willing to trust God.

Do you have severe trust issues?

Like with people?

Do you talk and tell other people such things?

What do you have confidence in?

In your life. A person? A food you like? A car? Plane? That you can accomplish some task you do everyday?

I have severe trust issues. Basically I don't trust anyone until I do a very careful analysis. In the end everyone seems to be limited in character or competence. If God wasn't described as a perfect being you can be sure that I wouldn't be caught dead reading scripture but alas he is the only entity worth considering at this point.

I work in healthcare which means I'm a constant ball of stress and obsessed with perfectionism. There is no chance of ever taking a vacation or experiencing anything other than crushing responsibility. I grew up in an environment of severe mental illness, anxiety, and neurotic attitudes. As a child I was harshly attacked whenever I made the slightest error. Mistakes were never a learning experience they were only ever a sign that I was a "stupid good for nothing loser". Even teachers would confirm this. Absolutely every one of them...if that many people held this view then surely it was the truth. I was also hated by other children because of my social deficits. I was so alienated from other humans that I couldn't even figure out how they think and feel. I was a different species. When I read the Bible I can't shake the belief that it applies to a species other than my own...

I have almost no friends and rarely see them because of how busy everyone is. I stopped dating entirely because women hate insecurity in men and I'm probably the most insecure man they have ever met in their lives. I put on a fake smile and fake happiness and act very chill but even the slightest embarrassment causes my facade to shatter like glass falling from a cliff.

As for the what I do in my free time...it is always an attempt to try to boost my self confidence. I don't do much of anything for pure enjoyment because I do not have the ability to experience happiness.

I am terrified of embarrassment and humiliation. Being human it is certain that I will face this problem the moment I walk out the door or speak with anyone.

My perception of God is that he is a keeping a very wide berth. I don't expect to be forgiven of anything or to be accepted by anyone. Growing up I was constantly described as a "loser", "moron", "low quality", and "good for nothing". This was by people who I respected. How can I certain that God isn't saying "this guy is too crazy to save"?

I don't know if I'll ever trust God. It will take a miracle but no miracles have ever happened in my life.

I can't imagine being accepted as I am. I have to change and achieve to maybe someday be accepted. I picture Jesus being so frustrated with me that he just walks away...

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Admin Hat

This thread has been moved from Struggles for Non-Christians to Recovery Related Spiritual Advice.

This thread has been cleaned for this move. If your post is missing that is why.

Please note, this forum is for members struggling with emotional, mental issues and who have spiritual concerns. This is a no debate, no theological zone, and is for support and encouragement and spiritual advice Spiritual warfare is not permitted in recovery.

Upvote 0