✟27,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
THE BLESSED HOPE AND TERROR OF THE LORD'S RETURN
(I posted a shorter draft of this in Devotionals. This is the one I will teach in Bible study next week)

Titus 2:11-13,

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;"

2 Peter 3:2-14,
"This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
"

Focus on being holy and godly, BECAUSE Christ is going to return.

1) We don't know the day nor hour (Matthew 24:36, Mark 13:32)

2) We do know the signs of the times (Luke 21:25-36, 1 Thessalonians 5:1-4)

3) We should be found ready and watching. (Matthew 25:1-13, Mark 13:32-37)

4) We should be abiding in him. "And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming." (1 John 2:8)

5) "But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear.." (1 Peter 1:15-17)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Corinthians 5:10-11,
" For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences."
There is a terror of the Lord; a fear of God, that is both reverential fear, and at times a dread fear: but a dread fear that is good.
Matthew 10:28, "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

The word translated fear there is "phobeo" from where we get "phobia" the fear of something. It's most common usage is that of being afraid. Today too many people do not fear God, but rather view God as distant, or more like a great cosmic Santa Claus. No, we SHOULD fear God, and who will not fear when we see Him coming in all His glory with angels and the armies of heaven?

Matthew 24:29-31 speaks of when Christ returns,
"Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."
Revelation 1:7,
" Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen."

1) The powers of heaven shall be shaken (Mark 13:25, Hebrews 12:26)
2) He comes in the clouds of heaven (Mark 13:26, Acts 1:9-11, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)
3) He comes with power. (Habakkuk 3:4, Mark 13:26, Luke 21:27, Hebrews 1:3
4) He comes with great glory. (Matthew 16:27, 25:31, Luke 21:27, Revelation 18:1)
5) Every eye shall see Him. (Mark 14:62, Revelation 6:15-17)
6) All kindreds of the earth will wail because of Him. (Isaiah 59:11, Zechariah 12:10)

When it comes to the sheer awesome power and glory of God, in many cases in Scripture people fall flat on their faces, no breath left in them, or fall at Christ's feet as dead. We must come to understand, know, and respect the Majesty of Almighty God, who will return in Christ to judge the world in righteousness.
In Scripture God is no plaything to be taken lightly, or mocked, or cursed, or trifled with in any way. He both demands respect and deserves it. He is called a "jealous God" in Scripture, and even one of His names is "Jealous" (Exodus 20:5, 34:14, Deuteronomy 4:24, 5:9, 6:15, Joshua 24:19, Nahum 1:2)

1) Isaiah saw the LORD high and lifted up with Seraphim angels, and said "Woe is me! I am undone!" (Isa. 6:1-5) The Hebrew word translated "undone" is "Dama" which means, cut off, to cease, destroy, perish, to be undone at the sight of a theophany, to be brought to silence.

2) When Daniel was visited by the angel, no strength remained in him, his comeliness was turned to corruption, and his face was to the ground, then he said "For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me." (Daniel 10:8, 9 & 17) Those who were with him "a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves." (Dan 10:7) and they didn't even see the vision!

3) When Jesus told the officers of the Pharisees "I am" in John 18:4-6 "As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground." (The "he" in italics is not in the original: he literally says "I AM" which is how Yahweh revealed Himself to Moses in Exodus 3:14 "AhaYAH Asher AhaYAH" - I AM THAT I AM.)

4) Saul of Tarsus when the light of the risen Christ shone about him "he fell to the earth," and was trembling and astonished. (Acts 9:4-6)

5) When the Apostle John saw the risen Messiah in all His glory he writes, "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead." (Revelation 1:17)

6) When Jacob dreamed and saw the ladder extended into heaven with angels upon it and the LORD standing above it in Genesis 28 we see, "he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.

7) Even the pagan idols fall before the presence of the LORD, even the Ark of the Covenant:
1 Samuel 5:2-4 "When the Philistines took the ark of God, they brought it into the house of Dagon, and set it by Dagon.
And when they of Ashdod arose early on the morrow, behold, Dagon was fallen upon his face to the earth before the ark of the Lord. And they took Dagon, and set him in his place again.
And when they arose early on the morrow morning, behold, Dagon was fallen upon his face to the ground before the ark of the Lord; and the head of Dagon and both the palms of his hands were cut off upon the threshold; only the stump of Dagon was left to him."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Thessalonians 1:7-12,
"And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.
Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ."

For those of us who are truly saved Christ's return will be a blessed hope, though I'm quite sure we will also be shaken, and in awe, and fearful of His power and glory, but it is the healthy fear of God. For those unsaved it will be a time of dread terror, and even for those on the fence; so called "carnal Christians," the backslidden, the prodigal, it's imperative you get back in solid fellowship with the LORD, for 2 Corinthians 5:11 is written to believers!

"Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men"

Reactions: rocknanchor

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,954.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Like this post very much. Really inspires one to keep things right and be awake keeping our lamps burning like the 5 wise virgins in Mt 25. We live in a time where some Christians would claim such warnings are negative and they say don't be a Gloomy Gus but really though it does help one keep things in perspective that this life is really about staying ready for the Lord's Coming. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to seek to teach and share these things more than I have.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟27,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Like this post very much. Really inspires one to keep things right and be awake keeping our lamps burning like the 5 wise virgins in Mt 25. We live in a time where some Christians would claim such warnings are negative and they say don't be a Gloomy Gus but really though it does help one keep things in perspective that this life is really about staying ready for the Lord's Coming. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to seek to teach and share these things more than I have.

Although I didn't include it in this post, John 14:1-4,
"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know
"

Gloomy Gus, Gloom and Doom, Prophet of Doom....you're right: today a lot of people don't want to hear it. They want to hear love and license (to sin). Any love that gives license to sin is not real love. It's like letting your 2 year old who don't know how to swim fall in the water, and saying "it's ok, learn to swim on your own."

Spurgeon said this on December 7, 1856 -
"This evil generation hath labored to take away from God the sword of His justice; they have endeavored to prove to themselves that God will “clear the guilty,” and will by no means punish “iniquity and transgression and sin” (Exo 34:7).

Two hundred years ago, the predominant strain of the pulpit was one of terror—it was like Mount Sinai. It thundered forth the dreadful wrath of God; and from the lips of a Baxter or a Bunyan, you heard most terrible sermons, full to the brim with warnings of judgment to come. Perhaps some of the Puritanic fathers may have gone too far, and have given too great a prominence to the terrors of the Lord in their ministry; but the age in which we live has sought to forget those terrors altogether, and if we dare to tell men that God will punish them for their sins, it is charged upon us that we want to bully them into religion. And if we faithfully and honestly tell our hearers that sin must bring after it certain destruction, it is said that we are attempting to frighten them into goodness.

Now we care not what men mockingly impute to us. We feel it our duty, when men sin, to tell them they shall be punished; and so long as the world will not give up its sin, we feel we must not cease our warnings. But the cry of the age is that God is merciful—that God is love. Ay, who said He was not? But remember, it is equally true: God is just, severely and inflexibly just. "

Acts 20:27-31,
"For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears."

Upvote 0