Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a pro-life Christian but my views are my own ( let God sort out the rest) and I didn't even force my daughter to have one. I thank God she didn't because that grandbaby changed my life.
My abortion issue is having to pay for it, Today's many abortions are just used as birth control because of kid's irresponsibility. For issues such as Kate and documented criminal acts, the state should help. I think Ken Paxton is virtue signaling like so many of our politicians do.

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,200,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The woman in question has left the state to seek treatment. I curious to see if the authorities double down again and try to find some way to sanction her if she returns.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟725,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am a pro-life Christian but my views are my own ( let God sort out the rest) and I didn't even force my daughter to have one. I thank God she didn't because that grandbaby changed my life.
My abortion issue is having to pay for it, Today's many abortions are just used as birth control because of kid's irresponsibility. For issues such as Kate and documented criminal acts, the state should help. I think Ken Paxton is virtue signaling like so many of our politicians do.

Abortion devalues human life .... we should care about that. The unborn have no voice. I am for providing free preventive contraception for all. It would be tax dollars used wisely. It would prevent a lot of abortions.

Upvote 0

Godsunworthyservant

Dec 10, 2023
WV
✟2,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

So, it's about the money for you? I hear that on both sides. When you say the state should help pay for an abortion in certain cases, you get to the heart of the debate for many. Pro-life folks usually fall on the side of "Not with my taxpayer dollars" (if not NO! NAY! NEVER!) and of course the pro-choice folks are OK with it. There's been so much bitter debate that has oft times led to violence against providers by those who claim with righteous indignation that they are doing God's work. Just another reason I believe, that as Christians, we should refrain from engaging in controversial political issues. If I state that I am pro-life, then I alienate every pro-choice person out there and vice versa.

So, the question, as always is what did Christ teach (either in words or in the way He conducted His life) and what does God say. Let's start with the teachings of Christ. We know that abortion was legal and practiced in the Roman Empire during His lifetime. As a matter of fact, the Law of 12 Tables in Rome allowed for infanticide through exposure in the case of unwanted female newborns and actually mandated that all children who were born "deformed" be subjected to the same infanticide by exposure. Yet Christ never mentioned it. I won't go into infanticide, as it's not an issue today, but it seems that on abortion, Christ is sticking to His guns in not getting involved in political issues. His ministry was of Godly matters, not political ones.

Next, let's look at what God said in the Old Testament. The killing of a fetus is mentioned only twice in the Old Testament. In Exodus 21 we read "When men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no harm follows, the one who hurt her shall be fined, according as the woman's husband shall lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe." Scholars have debated this passage for centuries, but the implication is obvious. If the fetus were considered the same as a living child, then the penalty for causing it's death would of course be death. But the penalty here is monetary. The unborn child is treated as chattel.

The next reference is found in Numbers Chapter 5 where we read,
"11 Then the Lord said to Moses, 12 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If a man’s wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him 13 so that another man has sexual relations with her, and this is hidden from her husband and her impurity is undetected (since there is no witness against her and she has not been caught in the act), 14 and if feelings of jealousy come over her husband and he suspects his wife and she is impure—or if he is jealous and suspects her even though she is not impure— 15 then he is to take his wife to the priest. He must also take an offering of a tenth of an ephah[c] of barley flour on her behalf. He must not pour olive oil on it or put incense on it, because it is a grain offering for jealousy, a reminder-offering to draw attention to wrongdoing.16 “‘The priest shall bring her and have her stand before the Lord. 17 Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water. 18 After the priest has had the woman stand before the Lord, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder-offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse. 19 Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, “If no other man has had sexual relations with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you. 20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”— 21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse—“may the Lord cause you to become a curse[d] among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell." In this case God ordained a forced abortion in hat has been called the "Test of an Unfaithful Wife" or the "Ordeal of the Bitter Water". Let's be clear, I'm not advocating for forced abortion but I believe we should always study what God said about any and every issue.

So, given all this, I personally believe that as Christians there's no reason we should care what the secular authorities deem legal or illegal so long as they don't pass laws forcing us to do anything that is against God's law, Christ's teachings or your Christian morals. Since no such laws exist, I believe that we should not engage in divisive rhetoric and partisan fighting over the issue so as not to take the chance that taking such a stand would negatively affect our Christian testimony with those of the opposing opinion. I believe that Christians should use their own discretion based on the situation when deciding whether to have an abortion themselves or to support or dissuade a friend or family member who finds themselves struggling with the issue, but keep their beliefs to themselves and make changes through their vote if necessary.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟34,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that we should not engage in divisive rhetoric and partisan fighting over the issue so as not to take the chance that taking such a stand would negatively affect our Christian testimony with those of the opposing opinion. I believe that Christians should use their own discretion based on the situation when deciding whether to have an abortion themselves or to support or dissuade a friend or family member who finds themselves struggling with the issue, but keep their beliefs to themselves and make changes through their vote if necessary.
Finally to the nut cuttin. I too believe we war against flesh and blood too much. Like I said before, start your thread about what you believe and hear what other Christians think. Not all is divisive and I've learned from Christians and non-Christians alike by reading information from outside the box of tribalism. I read the information they post and give my 2 cents worth of reply.
I personally believe that as Christians there's no reason we should care what the secular authorities deem legal or illegal so long as they don't pass laws forcing us to do anything that is against God's law,
I disagree. The secular authorities: I've watched this world de-evolve into the hate fest that it is today due to half-truths, misinformation, and sometimes lies. They've created distrust among the people and want to keep us divided and it's a distraction.
"For our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world,"
The last part is not out there somewheres but in every man's heart, ego, and worldview.
I believe that we should not engage in divisive rhetoric and partisan fighting over the issue so as not to take the chance that taking such a stand would negatively affect our Christian testimony
Brother, I get you. Tell me what you want and don't leave me guessing. Are you telling me not to give my opinion? What should we talk about on this forum? Peace

Upvote 0

Godsunworthyservant

Dec 10, 2023
WV
✟2,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Finally to the nut cuttin. I too believe we war against flesh and blood too much. Like I said before, start your thread about what you believe and hear what other Christians think. Not all is divisive and I've learned from Christians and non-Christians alike by reading information from outside the box of tribalism. I read the information they post and give my 2 cents worth of reply.

I disagree. The secular authorities: I've watched this world de-evolve into the hate fest that it is today due to half-truths, misinformation, and sometimes lies. They've created distrust among the people and want to keep us divided and it's a distraction.
"For our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world,"
The last part is not out there somewheres but in every man's heart, ego, and worldview.

Brother, I get you. Tell me what you want and don't leave me guessing. Are you telling me not to give my opinion? What should we talk about on this forum? Peace
I will try and answer your questions, as I understand them to the best of my ability. First, let me say that what I want is simply to share what God commanded His children and what Christ taught in context with the issues that face Christians today. I believe you should indeed share your opinion and as a Christian, I would hope that your opinion, like my own, is based solely on Christ's teachings and God's word. That's why I shared the info that I did, so as to help put the issue into context with what the Bible says. I will also note that before I replied, i did read the article that was included and did a precursory check on the Angry Bear and found the article not to be so divisive and the Angry Bear doesn't seem to be involved in the aforementioned half truths, misinformation and lies, so I don't want to give the impression that I was referring to you personally or the source which you shared as being in any way a part of that problem.

What I do object to is when Christians engage in half-truths, misinformation and lies. As you note, it has de-evolved into a hate fest and Christ taught us not to get ourselves involved in politics or hate. The problem isn't an open discussion of issues (such as abortion). When I discuss such issues, I always try and start with what Christ said and did and what God said before stating my opinion based on the subject. In this case, your initial question seemed sincere so I shared what I know about what God said and what Christ did. Then I stated my opinion that since Christ steered clear of making a fuss about the secular legalities of abortion, I think we as Christians should follow His example.

I am somewhat confused with your reference to Ephesians 6:12, but if you are saying that Paul is telling the Ephesians to become involved in partisan politics or to fight the government, I don't agree. I know that most English translations might tend to make it sound as if that's the case but a deeper dive into the actual original Greek of this passage shows a slightly different take on what Paul told us we should fight. First there's "principalities". Most English translations used the very last note in Strong's.

Strongs's #746: arche - Greek/Hebrew Definitions - Bible Tools. from 756; (properly abstract) a commencement, or (concretely) chief (in various applications of order, time, place, or rank):--beginning, corner, (at the, the) first (estate), magistrate, power, principality, principle, rule.

But I always want to get to the truth by looking at what other's have to say. For instance, Ellicott's says "Principalities and powers describe simply angelic powers, whether of good or evil. But in the following clauses Paul defines them as powers of evil, and appears to indicate two different aspects of this evil power. The original phrase is striking, against the spiritual powers of wickedness in the heavenly places.”

Barnes says; "But against principalities - "There can be no doubt whatever that the apostle alludes here to evil spirits. Like good angels, they were regarded as divided into ranks and orders, and were supposed to be under the control of one mighty leader. It is probable that the allusion here is to the ranks and orders which they sustained before their fall, something like which they may still retain."

ELlicott's says of "the rulers of the darkness" "Properly, the world-rulers of this darkness. This phrase is simply a poetical expression of the idea conveyed by the title “the prince of this world,” applied to Satan in John 12:31; John 14:30; John 16:11" Of powers it says "Milton represents Satan as addressing the fallen angels in similar language: "Thrones, dominations, princedoms, virtues, powers.""

As for "the rulers of the darkness of this world" that is a translation of later Greek texts. The earliest texts don't include the words that are translated "of this world". Those were added later. The original text translates simply "the rulers of darkness" and of course we know who that is. I'll not go into great detail about when and why the extra verbiage was added, but it's an interesting look at how man has over the centuries taken liberties with the original texts to make them better fit what they want them to say, if you are so inclined to such study.

I have obviously provided short excerpts from a few of the better known and reliable commentaries, concordances and lexicons. If you happen to be interested in Greek translation, I would suggest this verse is a good place to start and in addition to those which I have already listed, I certainly recommend the following texts; Expositor's Greek Testament, Meyers New Testament Commentary and for a fairly easy to understand and somewhat broad Lexicon, Thayer's Greek/English Lexicon of the New Testament. There are many others but those are a few that are my go-to to get a broad perspective on these types of issues.

My point is that Paul, in my opinion (and according to many knowledgeable scholars) is talking of the same powers that Christ taught us to fight, those of Satan and evil and is not equating those powers with any particular worldly authority or leader. Just as a general belief, I don't believe that Paul would purposely tell us to involve ourselves in anything that Christ taught us not to.Now, if that wasn't your point, please disregard the diatribe and let me know if you had something else in mind.

Upvote 0