Suriname
✟12,293.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So because of Easter I watched the Moses movie and read the bible, that made me thinking. I mean after Joseph of Egypt died, the Egyptians made the hebrews their slaves and the hebrews suffered as slaves and there was genocide of the baby hebrew boys. Some say slavery was 400 years, but some other sources say it was only 100-150 years or something. I mean why did the hebrews have to suffer like slaves ? I mean couldn't God have organized the historical events more differently so they didn'
t have to suffer as slaves ? Well there goes the teachings of the prosperity gospel, if you were slave born in that time, well what prosperity would u have had as a slave, some propably got wipped to death or something. We know that after that the hebrews suffered as slaves, God sent Moses back to do great miracles, I mean couldnt God organized the events differently so that the hebrews didnt have to suffer as slaves ?

Last edited:

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟699,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He could have, yes. But I believe that God allows us to go through things like that to teach us how much we depend on him. I also believe that the deliverance of Israel from slavery in Egypt is a picture of our deliverance from slavery to sin. There are many, many lessons we learn through the slavery of Israel.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟218,054.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I mean couldn't God have organized the historical events more differently so they didn'
t have to suffer as slaves ? Well there goes the teachings of the prosperity gospel, if you were slave born in that time, well what prosperity would u have had as a slave, some propably got wipped to death or something.
You're assuming certain things here. You're assuming that God's covenant people were standing and believing in faith during these troublesome times. Jesus even said about his day that there were many widows and lepers' throughout the time of Israel but so very few of them were actually healed. Lk 4:27

That however does not mean that God didn't have healing for them as found in the covenant. Jesus awakened this in Lk 13:16 where he said about one woman bowed over with an affliction. Should she not be free from it being a daughter of Abraham? Sons and daughters of Abraham all throughout their history had a covenant right to be healed so why weren't they? They weren't believing for it. There are other dynamics involved as well but it would take a long post.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟796,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Interesting how we find ourselves saying, "God allows", when God himself doesn't put it that way. God intends, and for his own purposes, and those to whom he chose to show mercy in spite of their ungodliness —the believers in Christ— will see those purposes come to completion. Thank God.

Besides the logical implication of the Almighty Omniscient causing what will come to pass —knowing, yet creating anyway— Scripture is full of God intending hard things. Joseph says to his brothers who had sold him into slavery, “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good." Genesis 50:20. And, Acts 2:23 NIV, speaking of Jesus Christ, "This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge;" Hardship is for a reason; it is not a mistake.

• Love
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,988.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Law of Leadership | Rabbi Daniel Lapin

The lessons (crimes) of Egypt are with the Jews today: Come in to a foreign land, rise to top, throw weight around, behave badly, generate anger and fear, then pay the price.

From the article:
-------------
What brought about this unprecedented hostility towards the Jewish citizens of Egypt? Ancient Jewish wisdom identifies a clue in this language:

The Children of Israel were fruitful and swarmed and increased and became very, very strong and the land was filled with them.
(Exodus 1:7)

If some of the phrases seem a bit redundant, that is because in Hebrew, the Lord’s language, each conveys additional information, teaching that added responsibility accompanies added success.

Fruitful = God gave the Israelites the blessing of large families.

Swarmed = Unfortunately, these large families weren’t meticulous in their behavior, instead behaving obnoxiously like rodents for whom the term ‘swarm’ is usually employed.

Increased = As a result of their talents and abilities, they achieved prominence and influence.

Very, very strong = Unfortunately, they began throwing their weight around rather than remembering that they were guests in the land.

Filled with them = As a result of the above conduct, despite being a minority, they nonetheless seemed to be everywhere and in control of everything.

Joseph saved Egypt and was highly venerated. Then all of a sudden a new king persuaded an entire grateful nation to oppress the Jews? Yes, indeed, provided that the Israelites abandoned the principles, the ethic and the idealism of the once respected Joseph.

Had the Jews remained true to the values that Jacob and Joseph instilled into them, Pharaoh would not have feared them. Had their values not eroded, his attempts to persuade his people would have been futile. The Egyptians no longer identified the Jews they knew with the Jacob and Joseph of their legends. Their respect for Israel vanished.
-------------

Reactions: Bumble Bee
Upvote 0