• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggles

anonomis

Feb 24, 2024
Louisiana
✟275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm a female & deal w/ both repetative sexual sin & possible inappropriate contentograhy addiction, I'm also single. Pls don't come for me. ( I say this because Ive only watched inappropriate contentography once) I really really want to stop having anything to do with sexual sin, but can't. I'll go anywhere from 3-6 months before the desire for sex hits me. I have gone to church in the past & when I was little I did accept Jesus as my Lord, I was 6 yrs at the time, my parents thought I was way to young to come to the Lord at that time & said I needed to wait untill I was much older. That was their excuse for everything I needed to be older before I exprinced anything, so there was a time that I could tell them anything. My parents weren't the kjnd of ppl you would or could talk with at all. I really started to experience this issue w/ sexual sin. My expericen has been & continues to be No church or Christian community would or will even go anywhere near anything dealing w/ sexual sin or sexual addiction at all, at least not in the areas I live & travel to work in. So, imagine my shock to find this forum. This I feel is my last hope. I don't trust ppl. Again my experience has been witnessing the body of Christ shun, exclude & talk about & make fun of ppl who are struggling or suffering anything to do with any type of addiction or mental health issues. Body of Christ responses read the Pslams & maybe you can find a therapist to help you. For mental health issues yes but for sexual addiction / sin issues no. Trying to find a Christian therapist is like trying to find a needle in the haystack. I stopped going to church after witnessing these things. I also have no friends or family at. I wouldnt trust them w/ this. I need help to get rid of this sin /addiction so I can finally be free of this sin/ addiction. I want to break free of this sin.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,937,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @anonomis, first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave: I'm glad that you found us and joined in the discussions with us :)

I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing struggles with sexual sin, but as a Christian, you are hardly alone in this .. e.g. 1 Peter 5:8-9 (which is why I was surprised to read that no one in your church offered to help you with it, or even wanted to talk about it .. did you ever talk to your pastor? .. if not, I would recommend that you do so, privately, of course).

The thing is, even as a believer, temptations to sin will continue to come your way for the rest of your life, so you need to learn how to deal with them/turn away from them/how to stop them in their tracks (so to speak), the temptations that enter your mind, that is, and that from the very moment that they do!

The visual piece is a HUGE problem for sexual sin, so learning to consciously and consistently turn away from visual triggers is imperative. In the end however, whether the temptation originates from what you see, or comes into your mind as a thought given to you by our common enemy (or both), etc., it is those kind of 'thoughts' that need to be stopped/REFUSED by you, before they become sin.

The Bible tells us to take all such thoughts "captive", and to give them over to the Lord to deal with (instead of trying to deal with them ourselves) .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 10:5 (see below). This is something that you may have to do over and over and over again, at times, so it is hardly an easy thing to do. It is, however, one of the principal ways that we obey another command that is given to us, one that comes with a wonderful promise attached to it, as well :) .. e.g. James 4:7 (cf 1 Peter 5:8-9).

2 Corinthians 10
3 Though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.
4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.
5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
James 4
7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. :amen:

The above will not come easily or quickly, especially at first. IOW, you will fail, and you will probably do so often (again, at first). The good news is, God has an ongoing remedy for a believer's ongoing sins, yes .. 1 John 1:9, so when you fail, ask the Lord to forgive you and cleanse you (He promises us that He will), then get up and get back to your walk with Him/to growing up in Him (back to your fight against both sin and the enemy) ... again and again and again, as often as you need to in the moment (the devil often needs convincing that you are not an easy target for his flaming arrows anymore .. e.g. Ephesians 6:16, before he'll decide to move on to easier targets, that is ;)).

Finally (for now), and most importantly, continue to grow in your knowledge and understanding of God and His word, and practice His presence in your daily life in EVERYTHING that you do .. e.g. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (believe it or not, the Creator and Lord of the Universe wants to be a big part of your daily life, of everything in your life :)). So, delight yourself in Him, and learn to make Him the most important, moment-by-moment center of everything in your life, and much of the practical means that we use to avoid sin (and the temptations that drive us to it) will become easier and easier for you :oldthumbsup: (start small by looking for ways to rejoice in Him and give thanks to Him throughout your day, even the smallest or simplest of things)

1 Thessalonians 5
16 Rejoice always;
17 pray without ceasing;
18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Psalm 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Praying for you!

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - one last thing, did you know that, as a believer/as His adopted daughter, God's love for you is the same as He is, "from everlasting"? This means that there was never a time in eternity past when He did not already love you (long before you were you/before you existed), and that there will never be such a time, now, or forevermore :amen: This also means that God knew EXACTLY what He was doing and getting when He saved you (and me), so nothing that we ever do will be a surprise to Him (or a cause for Him to leave us or forsake us).

As pastor and theologian Charles Spurgeon once said at the end of one of his daily devotional readings (from Morning and Evening), "everlasting love shall be the pillow for my head this night".

Sunset over a field of red flowers with Elisabeth Ellliot.jpg

Jeremiah 31:3/Deuteronomy 33:27

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,937,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
St.Worm help me too I am 54.
Hello Daniel, we'll need to talk (of course). I'll PM you to get us started.

Talk to you soon.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - just FYI, I won't be available until later tonight as I'm preparing for my small group Bible Study that meets on Sunday nights.

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟459,197.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don-t give up, this is important as a christian, because if you stop trying, the world and the enemy slowly is going to gain territory.
Don-t get discouraged by failing, Jesus understands we have issues, i was addicted to inappropriate content, i was angry at myself for years, but coudln-t stop, but i determined this had to stop, and prayed for it fervently for a time, and God helped me, -cry out to me and will respond- it says. Some deliverance also was involved in stopping this.

Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟29,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello @anonomis, first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave: I'm glad that you found us and joined in the discussions with us :)

I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing struggles with sexual sin, but as a Christian, you are hardly alone in this .. e.g. 1 Peter 5:8-9 (which is why I was surprised to read that no one in your church offered to help you with it, or even wanted to talk about it .. did you ever talk to your pastor? .. if not, I would recommend that you do so, privately, of course).

The thing is, even as a believer, temptations to sin will continue to come your way for the rest of your life, so you need to learn how to deal with them/turn away from them/how to stop them in their tracks (so to speak), the temptations that enter your mind, that is, and that from the very moment that they do!

The visual piece is a HUGE problem for sexual sin, so learning to consciously and consistently turn away from visual triggers is imperative. In the end however, whether the temptation originates from what you see, or comes into your mind as a thought given to you by our common enemy (or both), etc., it is those kind of 'thoughts' that need to be stopped/REFUSED by you, before they become sin.

The Bible tells us to take all such thoughts "captive", and to give them over to the Lord to deal with (instead of trying to deal with them ourselves) .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 10:5 (see below). This is something that you may have to do over and over and over again, at times, so it is hardly an easy thing to do. It is, however, one of the principal ways that we obey another command that is given to us, one that comes with a wonderful promise attached to it, as well :) .. e.g. James 4:7 (cf 1 Peter 5:8-9).

2 Corinthians 10
3 Though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.
4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.
5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
James 4
7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. :amen:

The above will not come easily or quickly, especially at first. IOW, you will fail, and you will probably do so often (again, at first). The good news is, God has an ongoing remedy for a believer's ongoing sins, yes .. 1 John 1:9, so when you fail, ask the Lord to forgive you and cleanse you (He promises us that He will), then get up and get back to your walk with Him/to growing up in Him (back to your fight against both sin and the enemy) ... again and again and again, as often as you need to in the moment (the devil often needs convincing that you are not an easy target for his flaming arrows anymore .. e.g. Ephesians 6:16, before he'll decide to move on to easier targets, that is ;)).

Finally (for now), and most importantly, continue to grow in your knowledge and understanding of God and His word, and practice His presence in your daily life in EVERYTHING that you do .. e.g. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (believe it or not, the Creator and Lord of the Universe wants to be a big part of your daily life, of everything in your life :)). So, delight yourself in Him, and learn to make Him the most important, moment-by-moment center of everything in your life, and much of the practical means that we use to avoid sin (and the temptations that drive us to it) will become easier and easier for you :oldthumbsup: (start small by looking for ways to rejoice in Him and give thanks to Him throughout your day, even the smallest or simplest of things)

1 Thessalonians 5
16 Rejoice always;
17 pray without ceasing;
18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Psalm 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Praying for you!

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - one last thing, did you know that, as a believer/as His adopted daughter, God's love for you is the same as He is, "from everlasting"? This means that there was never a time in eternity past when He did not already love you (long before you were you/before you existed), and that there will never be such a time, now, or forevermore :amen: This also means that God knew EXACTLY what He was doing and getting when He saved you (and me), so nothing that we ever do will be a surprise to Him (or a cause for Him to leave us or forsake us).

As pastor and theologian Charles Spurgeon once said at the end of one of his daily devotional readings (from Morning and Evening), "everlasting love shall be the pillow for my head this night".

Excellent advice!

Upvote 0

Serendipitous Waffle

Jul 18, 2023
Viken
✟55,430.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone struggles, if it's not one addiction it's another. Some of us like you and I struggle with adult material. Others with alcohol or drugs, some with profanity. Worm shared something I feel will help. For me as well.

In my case, it's like a sinful thought becomes a snowball which leads to sinning. And I'm desperately trying to quit, but like an addiction it's hard to "shake" and we can't shake it on our own! I really like the idea / practice of taking a sinful thought captive and speaking to the Lord about it. And that's a practice I'm going to start doing my best to do.

Remember, don't hate yourself! Because the Lord loves you with all your issues and afflictions!

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0