Logan City
✟766,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There was a knife attack at a shopping centre in Bondi today. It appears to be about 2.5 kms (1.5 miles) west from (world famous) Bondi Beach.

As yet we haven't been told the motive but six people are dead including the assailant who was shot dead by a female police officer.

The assailant was "known to police" but that's about all we know. At this stage they don't think it's an act of political or religious terrorism.

I think one of our Australian forum members might live not too far away but I'm not sure which. I'm assuming that based on a posted photo taken by a drone which looked north towards Sydney Heads. It was posted a few months ago. My apologies if I'm incorrect.

Several other people are in hospital, some seriously injured.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There was a knife attack at a shopping centre in Bondi today. It appears to be about 2.5 kms (1.5 miles) west from (world famous) Bondi Beach.

As yet we haven't been told the motive but six people are dead including the assailant who was shot dead by a female police officer.

The assailant was "known to police" but that's about all we know. At this stage they don't think it's an act of political or religious terrorism.

I think one of our Australian forum members might live not too far away but I'm not sure which. I'm assuming that based on a posted photo taken by a drone which looked north towards Sydney Heads. It was posted a few months ago. My apologies if I'm incorrect.

Several other people are in hospital, some seriously injured.
This stuff sounds scary. My prayers for the victims of this attack. For the forum member who lives near Bondi beach, his name is @Bradskii , a nice guy here.

Here is a summary of the ABC article:

In the article by Danuta Kozaki and Luke Royes, published on April 13, 2024, six people were killed and eight others were injured in a knife attack at Westfield Bondi Junction shopping center in Sydney's east. The offender, believed to be a 40-year-old man, was shot dead by a senior officer at the scene. Five of the victims were women and one was a man, while another woman died from her injuries in the hospital. The motive for the attack is unclear, but early indications suggest it was not related to terrorism.

The officer who shot the offender, a police inspector, confronted him after he returned to the shopping center with a knife. Witnesses directed the officer towards the man, who then raised a knife at her and was shot dead. The officer is reportedly doing well under the circumstances and will be formally interviewed on Sunday.

The injured individuals were taken to various hospitals across Sydney, including a nine-month-old child who underwent surgery at Sydney Children's Hospital. Acting NSW Premier Penny Sharpe expressed her condolences for those affected and thanked the brave bystanders, particularly the police officer who stopped the offender.

The shopping center will remain closed on Sunday, and a large number of emergency vehicles and personnel were at the scene to respond to the incident. The Australian Federal Police (AFP) have offered their support in the investigation, which is ongoing and it's too early to determine a motive.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese also praised the bravery of the police officer and condemned the attack as "beyond words or understanding." Shoppers inside the shopping center at the time reported hearing gunshots and being evacuated from the premises. The community is in shock, with many expressing their condolences and support for those affected.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟766,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Police have released the identity of the attacker. He was a man suffering schizophrenia whose origins are in Toowoomba, which is about 120 kilometres (75 miles) west of where I live. It's a long way from Bondi. He had also lived in Brisbane.

He had a number of posts online including one asking about people who had guns, but apart from that I don't think there was much that could have alerted anybody to his intended action. Fortunately he was unable to obtain a firearm or the death toll could have been much greater.

I think it's rare that schizophrenia leads to violent episodes.

Are people with schizophrenia dangerous?

Whilst the myth that all people with schizophrenia are violent is not founded in the evidence, it is the case that people living with schizophrenia are more at risk of dangerous behaviour such as suicide or violence while they are poorly.

Thankfully violent behaviour is comparatively rare. Most people with schizophrenia are never violent and indeed do not display any dangerous behaviour. However a small number do become violent when they are suffering from the acute symptoms of psychosis because of the influence of the hallucinations and delusions on their thinking.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Police have released the identity of the attacker. He was a man suffering schizophrenia whose origins are in Toowoomba, which is about 120 kilometres (75 miles) west of where I live. It's a long way from Bondi. He had also lived in Brisbane.

He had a number of posts online including one asking about people who had guns, but apart from that I don't think there was much that could have alerted anybody to his intended action. Fortunately he was unable to obtain a firearm or the death toll could have been much greater.

I think it's rare that schizophrenia leads to violent episodes.

My prayers for those with mental illness. It is sad why this guy, Joel Cauchi had to go out and stab innocent people. Thankfully, most people with schizophrenia are nonviolent*.

Here is a summary of the ABC article:

In the article by Jamie McKinnell, published on April 13, 2024, a man named Joel Cauchi from Queensland is reported to have killed six people and injured twelve others during a stabbing attack at Westfield Bondi Junction shopping center in Sydney on the previous day. The victims included four women, one man, and one nine-month-old baby. Ashlee Good, one of the victims, died in hospital from her injuries, leaving behind a family who expressed their gratitude towards the two men who cared for her daughter.

The attack prompted an evacuation of the shopping center and left many shoppers in a state of panic, with some taking shelter in locked stores or running to the nearest exit. Witnesses described scenes of chaos and confusion inside the center as the severity of the situation became clear. Premier Chris Minns praised the actions of ordinary members of the public for their bravery in confronting the attacker and singled out Inspector Amy Scott for her heroic efforts in saving lives.

Assistant Commissioner Anthony Cooke reported that Cauchi had recently come to Sydney from Queensland and had rented a small storage facility, which investigating officers were now accessing. He stated that there was no evidence or intelligence indicating that the attack was driven by any particular motivation or ideology and that it appeared to be related to Cauchi's mental health. The victims, including four patients at St Vincent's Hospital, were being treated for injuries ranging from critical to stable conditions.

Police were in the process of investigating Cauchi's background, home, vehicle, and associates to gain more information about him. Assistant Commissioner Cooke stated that he was known to authorities but did not believe Cauchi had targeted any specific victim or victims during the attack. However, Commissioner Webb noted that reports suggested he may have targeted women after removing the knife from his backpack and that this was an obvious line of enquiry.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese expressed shock and disbelief at the attack, urging Australians to come together in support of those affected. Queensland Premier Steven Miles offered his state's full cooperation in the investigation. The AFP was also assisting state police with their investigation, and it was too early to determine a motive for the attack.

The shopping center remained closed on Sunday as authorities helped remove vehicles from the car park, and anyone with information or footage of the attack was encouraged to contact police via Crime Stoppers.

*Here is a summary of the schizophrenia article:

The article "Schizophrenia and Dangerous Behavior" by Living with Schizophrenia UK aims to challenge the common myth that people with schizophrenia are violent and instead provide accurate information on the issue of dangerous behavior in individuals with this condition. The article begins by discussing how the media often portrays people with schizophrenia as violent and ignores other features of the illness, leading to public misconceptions. The article also mentions how mental health professionals often feel uncomfortable discussing dangerous behavior due to societal stigma and fear of being blamed by the media.

The article then goes on to explain that while it is not true that all people with schizophrenia are violent, they are at an increased risk of dangerous behavior such as suicide or violence during acute psychotic episodes. The article states that schizophrenia is a leading cause of suicide in the UK, with an estimated 10% of people diagnosed with the condition dying by their own hand within ten years. Additionally, a small number of individuals may become violent due to delusions or hallucinations during psychotic episodes.

The article also discusses the link between substance abuse and dangerous behavior in individuals with schizophrenia, stating that co-morbidity with substance abuse increases the risk of violent behavior fifteen fold. The article notes that while suicide is the leading cause of premature death in individuals with schizophrenia, homicides committed by this population are also a concern.

The article then discusses the issue of victimization and how individuals with schizophrenia are more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators. The article also mentions other types of dangerous behavior, such as jumping from buildings due to false beliefs of invulnerability or flying abilities.

The article concludes by discussing the importance of addressing the predictable risk factors for dangerous behavior in individuals with schizophrenia, including a history of dangerous behavior or threats, substance abuse, and non-adherence to medication. The article also calls for more funding and resources for mental health services to adequately supervise those at risk of dangerous behavior.

Upvote 0

guyver

Dec 9, 2021
victoria
✟92,621.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been getting a few calls from friends saying that there is something not quite right about this , they are questioning a lot of things.
I personally haven't seen much of the footage so I couldn't comment.
Even my daughter said to me , where are the men , why didn't 2 or more get together and take this guy down.
Anyway it seems like it might be hot topic of a while yet.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟766,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The parents of the attacker have sent their condolences to the families of the victims and also concern for the welfare of the police officer who shot their son.

There are no winners in a situation like this.

Upvote 0