Some call it Politics but I call it Getting involved in order to Christianize society

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟2,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
As a Christian, I believe in getting involved with trying to change society to be more Christ-centered. The pagans and atheists think that Christians should be excluded (not all, probably) but no one should be excluded from this very important work.

Elsewhere, I watched Trump's ad about how this country is deteriorating (my word) and the image thatstands out most at this time is that of a bizarre-looking clown teaching children about perverse things.. I'm surprised we don't see children running away from this in tears! I myself hated clowns growing up, and I never even saw any this strange looking. It was such a better era then. ..

In any case, some Christians have told me that Politics and Religion don't mix.

Well, I find that thought quite odd.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The thing is we cannot legislate spirituality. The Kingdom of God is all about willing love, kindness and self giving.

But there can also be unjust laws and policies and perhaps a lack of laws and policies to restrain what we se as evil. But unless we can agree on what evil is those laws and policies will only be divisive. Look in the Gospels where Jesus was most frustrated. He was talking about personal conversion of heart; not about overthrowing Roman oppression. And he got pretty fired up about religious leaders taking advantage of the common folks.

If we want to "Christianize society" we must be sure to Christianize ourselves and truly follow the Lord Jesus. I don't see a lot of that. What I see are a lot of people trying to tell other people how sinful they are.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And also we see here a lot of personal attacks on people who have different opinions on religion and politics.
I also sometimes get caught up in that sort of argumentation.

I am reminded of that song I love, "Where charity and love prevail" Ubi Caritas

WHERE charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.

As we are gathered into one body,
Beware, lest we be divided in mind.
Let evil impulses stop, let controversy cease,
And may Christ our God be in our midst.

And may we with the saints also,
See Thy face in glory, O Christ our God:
The joy that is immense and good,
Unto the ages through infinite ages. Amen.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟2,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The thing is we cannot legislate spirituality. The Kingdom of God is all about willing love, kindness and self giving.
no, the kingdom is also about JUSTICE. Anyone who watches news sees there is not much of that in our govt. A lot of Americans have been victimized by bad govt. That is one reason Trump is ahead in the polls. People can relate!

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a Christian, I believe in getting involved with trying to change society to be more Christ-centered. The pagans and atheists think that Christians should be excluded (not all, probably) but no one should be excluded from this very important work.

Elsewhere, I watched Trump's ad about how this country is deteriorating (my word) and the image thatstands out most at this time is that of a bizarre-looking clown teaching children about perverse things.. I'm surprised we don't see children running away from this in tears! I myself hated clowns growing up, and I never even saw any this strange looking. It was such a better era then. ..

This is why religion should be separated from the government, in my opinion. Yes, these are bullet points, but it conveys the message better.

• Respect of other Religions: Religion encompasses a wide range of beliefs, practices, and traditions. Tying politics to religion can lead to exclusion and division, as different religious perspectives may not align with one another on political issues. It is essential that we Americans create an inclusive and diverse political landscape where everyone feels welcome to engage in the democratic process, regardless of their religious beliefs.

• Freedom of Conscience: Religion is a deeply personal matter. Forcing political agendas on religious issues can infringe upon people's freedom of conscience and their right to practice their faith as they see fit (see 1st Amendment). Separating religion and politics ensures that individuals are not coerced into supporting policies or candidates based on their religious beliefs but can make informed decisions based on their values and principles.

• Focus on Common Ground: Politics should be focused on finding common ground, addressing the needs of society, and solving problems for the greater good. When religion enters the political sphere, it can create polarizing debates that often lead to gridlock rather than progress. By keeping religious beliefs separate from politics, we can focus on finding solutions that bring people together and benefit the community as a whole.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
no, the kingdom is also about JUSTICE. Anyone who watches news sees there is not much of that in our govt. A lot of Americans have been victimized by bad govt. That is one reason Trump is ahead in the polls. People can relate!
In my opinion Trump is about as far from a remedy of injustice as one can get. By bad government do you mean taxation?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

In a democratic system, no one should be excluded from this important work just because of their religion. Happily, you are not excluded. And, happily, neither is anyone else whose religion is different than Christian. Although I disagree that trying to make non-Christians more Christ-centered is a great idea, or even a coherent one, I support your ability to try through means that are legal and align with our founding documents. Probably the better option is to support policies that truly benefit people and follow Christ the best one can. A "Christian nation" in the sense of a government based on the way of Jesus Christ is nonsensical- his kingdom is not like the kingdoms of this world.

Upvote 0

Terri Dactyl

Aug 27, 2022
Midwest
✟47,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Celibate

Well, Jesus didn't mix them. Render unto Caesar... remember? Jesus NEVER mixed them and if He is Our Example, then...

You know the world is going to to get worse and worse Matthew 24, and trump and his team of christians may believe s little differently them my family of Christians--so whose doctrine we gonna go with? The Bible speaks of a one world govt-- a union of church and state--be careful for what you wish for.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Change is a broad subject and best approached in light of your circumstances and acumen. Grassroots efforts differ from governmental policy. While the latter may appeal you need a seat at the table and connections to pull it off. You won't get an audience with everyone. Focus on the places where the largest impact can be made. For most it's an organization or their neighborhood. You can join hands with a group to expand your reach.

But don't romanticize the subject or fall prey to religious hallucinations about parties and persons. If you wish to be conversant in politics you need to understand money and power. They're the backbone of politics and related systems.

This is a good documentary on the Christian presence in politics. It's based on a book. You cannot do a holy work while functioning under delusions. You have to see the truth and move accordingly. The lone truth in this case is the word of God. Not political affiliations or biases.

If you depart from that path you'll join others who've done the same and share in their disgrace. Be mindful of your temptations and susceptibility to greed, importance, and belonging. They're the greatest stumbling blocks and most likely places where the majority fall.

You can't be an ambassador if you're enamored with your subject. It's a conflict of interest that will always rear its head. Keep your eyes on Him and you'll succeed.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But don't romanticize the subject or fall prey to religious hallucinations about parties and persons. If you wish to be conversant in politics you need to understand money and power.
And then what policies protect those who have the money and power.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The only way a Christian can be a truly effective influencer is through LOVE. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's about worship ... separation of church and state (and those do not mix) .... keeping the state from implementing a forced worship system. We/they saw what a forced worship system looked like .... ie the dark ages where severe persecution took place.

Our forefathers did indeed formulate the constitution on the basics of christian principles (from the protestant viewpoint). They fled to this country to flee persecution from a forced religious worship system. So in that (worship) they absolutely do not mix.

There are some christian values that are acceptable to non believers, but those don't make them christian ... our country is growing further and further away from Gods values and more towards mans ideas about things.

The US was established as a free nation in regard to worship and so far has remained that way ... that will change in the future and once again there will be a union between church and state and the forced religious system will once again be put in place and once again severe persecution will take place.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟2,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
This is why religion should be separated from the government, in my opinion. Yes, these are bullet points, but it conveys the message better.

• Respect of other Religions: Religion encompasses a wide range of beliefs, practices, and traditions. Tying politics to religion can lead to exclusion and division, as different religious perspectives may not align with one another on political issues. It is essential that we Americans create an inclusive and diverse political landscape where everyone feels welcome to engage in the democratic process, regardless of their religious beliefs.

• Freedom of Conscience: Religion is a deeply personal matter. Forcing political agendas on religious issues can infringe upon people's freedom of conscience and their right to practice their faith as they see fit (see 1st Amendment). Separating religion and politics ensures that individuals are not coerced into supporting policies or candidates based on their religious beliefs but can make informed decisions based on their values and principles.

• Focus on Common Ground: Politics should be focused on finding common ground, addressing the needs of society, and solving problems for the greater good. When religion enters the political sphere, it can create polarizing debates that often lead to gridlock rather than progress. By keeping religious beliefs separate from politics, we can focus on finding solutions that bring people together and benefit the community as a whole.
I haven't read all of this but I already disagree, to some extent. Religion cannot be separated from involvement in governing! That is what we have today, with all these elite politicians violating every commandment of Christ in the name of "freedom." But as is said in the Word, being in sin is bondage, not freedom. And whatever you may call it, many "freedoms" harm people. The best example is the "freedom" to abort your children. I often feel more sorry for thewoman than for the child because the child's sufferings last for a time, then he or she goes to a better place. The womn is left to live with what she has done. I've read books on Post Abortion Syndrome. It is horrible. Often, even when the woman goes to confession or in other ways repents, she can't live with herself. Some commit suicide. Many of them cannot forgive themselves...

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟2,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
It's about worship ... separation of church and state (and those do not mix) .... keeping the state from implementing a forced worship system. We/they saw what a forced worship system looked like .... ie the dark ages where severe persecution took place.[
Well, the medieval times have been LIED about ad nauseum. Don't believe everything you have heard. Many pastors who hate Catholicism promote many lies about it. After all, it IS competetion with their brand of christianity. (I may read the rest of your post, but I am very busy today--)

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟2,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
What you do in secret can do the most good.
Jesus said that a city on a hill cannot be hid.. that we should not hide our light under a bushel basket. Doing that is what has caused our society to deteriorate to the point of virtual anarchy/lawlessness.

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟2,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
In a democratic system, no one should be excluded from this important work just because of their religion. Happily, you are not excluded. And, happily, neither is anyone else whose religion is different than Christian. Although I disagree that trying to make non-Christians more Christ-centered is a great idea, or even a coherent one, I support your ability to try through means that are legal and align with our founding documents. Probably the better option is to support policies that truly benefit people and follow Christ the best one can. A "Christian nation" in the sense of a government based on the way of Jesus Christ is nonsensical- his kingdom is not like the kingdoms of this world.
As to your last sentence:

This is true only to a point. I would NEVER call a Christ-based govt "nonsensical." You do realize that christ is coming again, don't you? Are you going to thwart him and say that what he is doing setting up his kingdom on Earth is "nonsensical"?

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟2,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, Jesus didn't mix them. Render unto Caesar... remember? Jesus NEVER mixed them and if He is Our Example, then...

Jesus did not divide the Church. Martin Luther did and then people rebelled against Luther and started their own "churches" and then people disagreed with those folks and started their own churches and so on. Jesus established ONE Church. And also, Jesus never disagreed w/ the Old T nor tell us to ditch it. In the Old T we are told that if our neighbor is being led away to death, we are to intercede.

Young children are led to their deaths because of "reproductive freedom" so called. If we do nothing, their blood is on our hands.

Upvote 0