kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
OK, so this Saturday I am going to go to confession for the first time ever (we left the Catholic church when I was 13 or 14 and for whatever reason I never went.) I'm pretty sure I am going to go to the "informal confession" because I also want to talk to the priest about receiving communion on the following Sunday.

However, even after reading some threads in the archives I'm still not sure I understand quite what a "mortal sin" is, so I'm not really sure if I've commited one or not. And what if I've commited some mortal sins that I can't remember? I'm also a bit embarassed because I feel like I shouldn't even be considering communion if I don't know basic stuff about Catholicism like this.

Also, it was suggested somewhere else that missing mass is a mortal sin, except under certain conditions. What are these conditions? In a few months or so I will be moving on Sunday, and I will likely not go to mass on that day (it has to be Sunday because I do not have a car and my parents will have to drive me down to Austin.) Is that an acceptable reason for missing mass, or should I try to reschedule the drive down?

(One of the only things I remember from CCD is that one time my Bible fell off my desk and the teacher said that was a grave sin to disrespect the Bible like that.)

-Chris

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Kern:

Just walk into the Confessional, say "Bless me Father, for I have sinned...and this is my very first Confession, and I haven't attended Mass or studied the Catholic faith in *X* number of years. Help me, please."

If you forget any sins, venial or mortal, relax. Just tell the priest the next time you make a Confession, "Oh, the last time I Confessed, I forgot to tell Father about such-and-so."

Trust me, Kern. The priest is simply going to be so delighted that you have "come home," you'll probably get a hug more than anything else. The priest I made MY first Confession to (back in the covered wagon days) used the Ten Commandments as a guide to question me as to what sins I may have committed.

You will probably be amazed at how easy it is... and you will find yourself LITERALLY floating out of the Confessional when it is all over!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟280,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A mortal sin is a serious sin, one that is committed deliberately, that cuts you off from God.

Murder.

Adultery.

Embezzlement.

Abortion.

Arson.

A venial sin is one that is not so serious, which strains your relationship with God.

Sloth.

Anger.

Lustful thoughts.

Stealing a Hershey bar.

Lying.

Don't sweat it. The priest will be overjoyed to see you, as VOW said. :)

Legitimate reasons for missing Mass are: sickness, incapacitation (you're stuck in the hospital, airport, etc.) or you have some serious emergency like your kid was in a car wreck.

Illegitimate reasons for missing Mass are: you decided to sleep in, you wanted to go to a ballgame instead, there was a cool movie on TV, etc.

Most parishes have Saturday evening Masses that cover the Sunday obligation; if you're moving on that Sunday, why not see if you can hit a Saturday night Mass instead? :)

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Lost my first detailed response to this post, so let's try again... :sigh:

Originally posted by kern
However, even after reading some threads in the archives I'm still not sure I understand quite what a "mortal sin" is, so I'm not really sure if I've commited one or not. And what if I've commited some mortal sins that I can't remember? I'm also a bit embarassed because I feel like I shouldn't even be considering communion if I don't know basic stuff about Catholicism like this.

1 John 5:16-17
If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

Mortal sin is defined thusly by the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."

Therefore we need to take three things into account when examining our sins, to see if they were mortal or not...

1) Did I commit this sin knowing it was indeed contrary to God's law?

2) Did I commit this sin of my own free will?

3) Did this sin constitute grave matter?

If you answered "Yes" to #1 you are 1 for 1 on the mortal sin scale.

If you answered "Yes" to #2 you are 2 for 2 on the mortal sin scale.

1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God's law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

Now, #3 is a bit more tricky. Not tricky in the sense that it is abitrary, but rather that it is hard to explain. Let us start by saying there is one thing that grave matter is not, and that is subjective. However, not everything consisting of grave matter will be a mortal sin. For instance, killing someone is a grave offense but killing someone in cold blood would be a mortal sin, having to kill someone in self-defense would not be. Stealing food to avoid starving to death would be a venial sin, stealing the last dollar from a poor, hungry widow is a mortal sin.

So what is "grave matter"?

1858 Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother."

So, if you answered "Yes" to #3... Congratulations, you have yourself a mortal sin.

Now, before you go and get all scrupulous on me. Mortal sins are the exception rather than the norm. Typically one of the 3 qualifiers will be missing from the above... for example, cursing at your parents in a fit of anger would probably eliminate full knowledge. Pausing for a second to think about it and then launching yourself into a profanity-laced diatribe would not eliminate free-will. As rational creatures I think the one thing we always manage to prove is that we don't always think things out. And while it is my own personal opinion that mortal sins aren't all that hard to commit (especially for Catholics who become more and more learned about their faith... with knowledge comes power and responsibility), they are still less common.

Originally posted by kern
Also, it was suggested somewhere else that missing mass is a mortal sin, except under certain conditions. What are these conditions? In a few months or so I will be moving on Sunday, and I will likely not go to mass on that day (it has to be Sunday because I do not have a car and my parents will have to drive me down to Austin.) Is that an acceptable reason for missing mass, or should I try to reschedule the drive down?

You can attend a Saturday evening service which would fulfill your Sunday obligation. Almost every parish has these services.

For a deeper understanding of mortal and venial sin, check out paragraphs 1854 through 1864 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

My suggestion to you before receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation is to think long and hard about the sins you have committed in the past (this is called an "Examination of Conscience"). Confess all that you can remember. When you are done confessing those, admit that there are likely other sins in your past that you cannot remember. Mortal sins should be evident... sex outside of marriage, getting or helping someone with an abortion, intentional slander against the character of a person... etc etc. And in the future, as you become more familiar with the Biblical concept of mortal sin, they should become evident as soon as you commit them, because you'll already know that by what you're planning on doing, you are disobeying God. I should know, I've been there... I'm sure we all have been.

God bless you Kern, and welcome home.

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Chris,

Also, when you go to confession you do not have to make any distinction between mortal and venial sins. You simply confess your sins.

For example,

"Bless me father for I have sinned.

"It has been fifty years since my last confession.

"Since that time I have held up five banks, committed x sins of anger, x sins of gluttony, stole five cars, deliberately missed Mass about 8,000 times, and run away with my neighbor's wife twice." (In other words, you simply confess your sins according to kind and number. You do not have to go into detail.)

To bring your confession of sins to a conclusion it is helpful to say something like,

"For these and the sins of my past life I beg the pardon of God and the penance and absolution of you, Father."

Here he may ask you some questions so that he understands exactly what you are confessing, or he may offer some words of counsel and encouragement.

Then he will probably ask you to make a good act of contrition:

"O my God I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they have offended thee, my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of thy grace to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life, Amen."

He will either be offering you absolution while you are making your act of contrition, or will give it immediately afterwards.

Then He will say something like, "Go in peace..."

And you will go in peace.

If this seems too formal, or more than you can remember, simply present yourself to the priest , tell him it's been a long time and you've forgotten the drill...and he will help you through it.

Lee

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.