Should prayer with clients be mandatory?

Ladybug404

Apr 27, 2024
Atlanta
✟180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So I have been employed at a non-profit for almost 8 years now. While we are not a Christian organization per say, we are Christ centered. What we do is offer pregnancy center resources (such as tests), parenting classes, counseling, and address immediate needs such as formula/diapers/car seats.

Our director of operations has recently decided to make it mandatory that we pray with each and every client that comes into our center, after the Lord placed on their heart to do so.

When we do client intakes we do ask about spiritual beliefs, church attendance, etc. Now, I have always felt comfortable listening for what the Holy Spirit is leading me to do in client interactions. I have absolutely no hesitation in praying for or with clients, if I feel I’m being led to or if it is appropriate. We are now to mark it as yes or no on our daily client tally if we prayed, so it can be shown as a center statistic.

We have clients who show up needing physical needs met immediately. Some are not religious or express that they are pagan or atheist. I have degrees in psychology, Christian counseling, and ministry. I say this to explain my thoughts that sometimes immediate needs must be addressed or a relationship needs to be established before addressing prayer with clients. This is what we were taught, to let the Holy Spirit guide us in our actions!

At first we were approached by the director if we marked no to prayer and had to explain why we did not. I have had to explain my thoughts about it several times. And I did so as I said above, letting the Holy Spirit guide me. When I said I felt that sometimes immediate physical needs needed to be met first in order to establish a relationship with nonbelievers, the director responded with “Pregnancy tests and diapers are just how we lure them here”.

Now the director has started taking clients away from us if we do not pray with them at their first appointment.

I feel so torn. On one hand my confidence has been shaken and I am afraid that I am just not hearing Him telling me to pray with everyone. On the other I’m not comfortable being forced to pray with those I do not feel led to at that moment.

(Just to be clear, I am referring to praying with, not for clients.)

Can anyone please offer some guidance on how to handle this?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
“Pregnancy tests and diapers are just how we lure them here”.

That sentence is uncomfortable, but possibly enlightening. What does your director see as being the purpose of your organization? Maternity care is apparently the bait; what's the actual goal?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟968,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have a long history in social work, faith-based agency administration, and now am a practicing therapist. I believe discussion in a counseling relationship should only be about the client's values, not the counselor's (or the agency's). My clients only know about my faith if they ask. I think it is disrespectful to the client to insist on a Christian prayer if the client does not share Christian belief and values or are of if they are of a different faith.

My personal belief, and that of the faith-based agency I led, was that our Christian values had everything to do with WHY we served others but not HOW we served others. The HOW was rooted in best professional practice.

I could not work in your setting if it did not change. I would be looking for a different job.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So I have been employed at a non-profit for almost 8 years now. While we are not a Christian organization per say, we are Christ centered. What we do is offer pregnancy center resources (such as tests), parenting classes, counseling, and address immediate needs such as formula/diapers/car seats.

Our director of operations has recently decided to make it mandatory that we pray with each and every client that comes into our center, after the Lord placed on their heart to do so.

When we do client intakes we do ask about spiritual beliefs, church attendance, etc. Now, I have always felt comfortable listening for what the Holy Spirit is leading me to do in client interactions. I have absolutely no hesitation in praying for or with clients, if I feel I’m being led to or if it is appropriate. We are now to mark it as yes or no on our daily client tally if we prayed, so it can be shown as a center statistic.

We have clients who show up needing physical needs met immediately. Some are not religious or express that they are pagan or atheist. I have degrees in psychology, Christian counseling, and ministry. I say this to explain my thoughts that sometimes immediate needs must be addressed or a relationship needs to be established before addressing prayer with clients. This is what we were taught, to let the Holy Spirit guide us in our actions!

At first we were approached by the director if we marked no to prayer and had to explain why we did not. I have had to explain my thoughts about it several times. And I did so as I said above, letting the Holy Spirit guide me. When I said I felt that sometimes immediate physical needs needed to be met first in order to establish a relationship with nonbelievers, the director responded with “Pregnancy tests and diapers are just how we lure them here”.

Now the director has started taking clients away from us if we do not pray with them at their first appointment.

I feel so torn. On one hand my confidence has been shaken and I am afraid that I am just not hearing Him telling me to pray with everyone. On the other I’m not comfortable being forced to pray with those I do not feel led to at that moment.

(Just to be clear, I am referring to praying with, not for clients.)

Can anyone please offer some guidance on how to handle this?
I do not understand what the problem is. Simply ask them if you can pray for them. Most people will often say yes because they do not want to make waves. If they say no, then respect their wishes not to pray. Then the center will know how many want prayer compared to how many do not want prayer. That is a lot more valuable information that IF you prayed for them or not.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, one thing I maybe notice is that you do not seem to know your director and and your director does not seem to know and understand your spiritual walk. Jesus started His ministry by spending time with the ones who would minister for Him > He chose His twelve, "that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach" (in Mark 3:14).

But you are with Jesus, in any case so you have been able to get to know Him and represent Him. And He did not always talk to people and minister only after they were ready and receptive, did He?

So, pray so you do what God wants and how He wants.

You are a ministry, there. You aren't holding another Inquisition to examine their sin life. Possibly, you can start by welcoming them with a smile and holding out your hand/s and sharing hands and ask how they would want to pray for God to do them good. And pray that and offer them time to also pray with you.

It isn't an emergency room; so I suppose you have time to start with prayer and even get to know one another a little bit.

It can take less than a minute to do all that >

Thank You God for however You bless us now, in the name of Jesus Your own Son, amen. Did anything good happen to you, this week? I have really appreciated helping people, here; so I am glad to see you. What may we do for you . . . please?

This just took me about a minute in my imagination. And in case someone blurts out, No way! you can record that he or she refused the prayer treatment. I do believe a client has the legal right to refuse any service, but should still be able to get other things which you offer.

But pray and make sure with God; He will bless us with goodness of His love while we do what He really desires. He will encourage you to do what He really wants, and He is creative.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I have a long history in social work, faith-based agency administration, and now am a practicing therapist. I believe discussion in a counseling relationship should only be about the client's values, not the counselor's (or the agency's). My clients only know about my faith if they ask. I think it is disrespectful to the client to insist on a Christian prayer if the client does not share Christian belief and values or are of if they are of a different faith.

My personal belief, and that of the faith-based agency I led, was that our Christian values had everything to do with WHY we served others but not HOW we served others. The HOW was rooted in best professional practice.

I could not work in your setting if it did not change. I would be looking for a different job.
Well said.

Upvote 0

Sharon Hayes

BigRoost
Jun 13, 2015
✟9,478.00
Faith
Christian
How do you judge who is and is not worthy of prayer? What are you going by? If the person is willing, then pray with them. You work in outreach and they're looking for help, so prayer can help overcome a multitude of sin. If the prayer is rejected it shall return to you for someone who is.

Upvote 0