Sexuality forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

spirituality

Jul 22, 2002
✟1,447.00
Faith
Christian
I just came from the sexuality forum and was overwhelmed with the outragous amount of threads on homosexuality... I dont know about you but personbally im fed up with the constand subject and questions being discussed in a multitude of threads in the sexuality forum. Is one or 2 threads not enough to discuss whether it is sinful or not and whatever else you talk aobut? Geez, the whole thing is infested with the SAME topic...the SAME THING. Why? I think we should have a sexuality forum and a homosexuality forum since people are so keen on ceating a thousand threads on the same topic. This way we can actually discuss sexuality in that forum rather than being bombarded with HOMOsexuality and those hat want to discuss homosexuality can do so where the other threads are.

This is insane there is ALWAYS at least one thread in the new posts list on homosexuality... I think that warrants a forum for itself...

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
spirituality said:
I just came from the sexuality forum and was overwhelmed with the outragous amount of threads on homosexuality... I dont know about you but personbally im fed up with the constand subject and questions being discussed in a multitude of threads in the sexuality forum. Is one or 2 threads not enough to discuss whether it is sinful or not and whatever else you talk aobut? Geez, the whole thing is infested with the SAME topic...the SAME THING. Why? I think we should have a sexuality forum and a homosexuality forum since people are so keen on ceating a thousand threads on the same topic. This way we can actually discuss sexuality in that forum rather than being bombarded with HOMOsexuality...arrgh.

That Idea was brought up before by Heather I believe, and several of us agreed.
We also expressed concern about the number of threads on poster can start in one day, and the post and run spamming.

For now, I just wade through them report the duplicate posts I see, the mods are doing their best.

Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
I don't think we should have a separate "Homosexuality" forum. I agree that the homsexuality threads keep repeating.

The staff have been discussing ways to manage this. One idea is to have only a select few threads relating to homosexuality, and merging all other threads to these threads, and not allowing new threads on homosexuality to be created.

We are still trying to find the best option.

Upvote 0

La Bonita Zorilla

Diana's Quiver Bearer
Mar 25, 2003
New York
Visit site
✟2,855.00
Faith
Methodist
Possibly each pro-gay and each anti-gay poster could be limited to starting one thread per day...or week...or month. I used to go to another website ( Weavered.com ) which is a fan site for Laura Innes who plays Dr. Kerry weaver on ER---the people there (moderators and administrator, and her grandson who was the techie) HATED people starting new threads because it pushed old threads down. I quit going there because at first they'd just have a cow if people started a new thread, then, they took away the registered users' ability to do so. I don't like long threads---too much prereading to do, though sometimes I've cheated and just read the initial post and the last page.

I don't know what's best. Maybe having a moderator on that forum start the threads---someone who wanted to start someone could PM the moderator and the mod could start it from the PM, or say, no, I won't do it and this is why...

On another secular forum some have made a similar complaint. I've often suggested a moratorium on the topic, but the other side refuses to agree to that.

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Sexuality forum has been changed to having 4 sticky threads at the top of the forum with different subjects relating to homosexuality. I hope this doesn't cause too much confusion.

Upvote 0

paxvobiscum

Sep 5, 2003
Canada
✟2,280.00
Faith
Lanakila said:
The Sexuality forum has been changed to having 4 sticky threads at the top of the forum with different subjects relating to homosexuality. I hope this doesn't cause too much confusion.
My suggestion would to start a Sub-Forum under Sexuality for the Homosexuality topics. This would elevate "sticky clutter". The problem is that there are many topics considering the subject and that would be lost in pigeon-holing them to 4 or 5 stickies. I just can't see where logical discussion would be achieved in all that clutter.

Upvote 0

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I agree with the subforum suggestion. There are more issues that affect homosexuality then just the sin question, which is repeated yes. As new laws come out, gay people take leadership roles, news emerges, etc we will want new threads. Plus...no one wants to wade through so many posts just to check someone elses new link or article, or poll.
I think a sub forum would be beneficial for those still interested in discussing the topic and new issues coming out. ;)

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I can't even find the thread I was participating in and which couldn't possibly be merged with other topics. If you're going to ban the subject, just do it, rather than jumble separate topics together, so that no discussion is possible. This is ridiculous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paxvobiscum

Sep 5, 2003
Canada
✟2,280.00
Faith
Plan 9 said:
I can't even find the thread I was participating in and which couldn't possibly be merged with other topics. If you're going to ban the subject, just do it, rather than jumble separate topics together, so that no discussion is possible. This is ridiculous.
It is ridiculous. There are many topics that concern Gay Christians. To lump them into 4 or 5 stickies is absolutely appalling. You might as well stick up pink triangles.

Upvote 0

Inspired

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ok my
twocents.gif

I agree something needed to be done in the forum. And it was apparant in this responses to Lanakila's first thread, that whatever it was wasn't going to be done through voluntary actions of the members. (obvious because of the reactions of certain members)

I understand the reasoning behind the stickies, too many members are reaptedly starting new threads on subjects that have already been dicussed and often times it is the same poster, that started the previous thread.

I also recognize that there are threads with very similiar topics, I can see the reasoning in merging them.

From a posters prespective...
The "other" thread is what is the most difficult. If the intention was to kill the homosexual threads all together, I'm sure that will do it, as it is impossible to have a dicussion in that thread, there are entirely too many topics being dicussed, it would be like 400 members in the chat box and once trying to have 200 one on one conversations.

From a mods perspective...

I can't even imagine how you would be able to keep up with the dicussions let alone moderate them.

I think the original plan of limiting the number of posts one poster can have in that forum, and a solution to the spam and run posting might be a better solution.

Ex: No one poster can have more than say 3 threads started by them in the forum. So if they have three going and want to start another thread, then they would email a mod ask the to close one of the threads, and then they could start a new one. If someone else still wants to dicuss that topic, then they could continue it as one of their 3 threads. And at the same time, maintaining the rule about duplicate topics.

Considering there are only 5-6 people who actively start threads in that forum on the topic, it should greatly decrease the number of threads.

Like I said this is just my suggestion, I know the mods are overwhelmed by the number of reports in the forum, and are trying to work towards the best solution.

Upvote 0

Elusivia

unzip your religion down
Aug 12, 2003
Muskegon
Visit site
✟7,829.00
Faith
Seeker
GySgt said:
I commend the SF Staff on utilizing spiritual discerment regarding the Christianity and sexuality forum.

In Christ
James

I say this is just another way for christians to be in control...its alwyas been a big deal for them to be on top...So I commend them for doing what they always do...Homosexuality is something they want to be in the know all of so they will continue to do this until....Forever!!!!Truth Hurts

Upvote 0

fejao

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Sep 29, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
✟9,349.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I think the new way of discussing homosexuality and the bible, is so clumsy and trying to discuss things when there are five new pages and new topics every five seconds it horrible and not good to use and eventually will be an nightmare more moderators. Also to say that the decision is final and not up for discussion, is well not democratic ! Is this forum for its members or for the moderators ? I think we should have a sub forum for homosexuality....I think the idea of mods posting new thread, on the suggestion from members may be a good idea or limit one thread per day or few days...

Fejao x x

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

Jet Black

I am inclined to agree with inspired on this one. the majority of people barely ever post a new thread. merging all the threads into a few stickes helps no-one really, since it will be completely impossuible to follow a discussion, and people are already complaining that conversations they were involved in were lost. If anything needed doing, it would be to create a "news stickey" in which people could post news stories, and then should people wish to discuss them, they could do - there were just too many news clippings starting yet another thread from certain prolific posters.

Upvote 0

Inspired

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Elusivia said:
I say this is just another way for christians to be in control...its alwyas been a big deal for them to be on top...So I commend them for doing what they always do...Homosexuality is something they want to be in the know all of so they will continue to do this until....Forever!!!!Truth Hurts

Ok I know this isn't a debate but I think that was way harsh. I don't think that was the moderators intentions at all, they have been dicussing a change for a while now, trying to find a workable solution.

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I will answer this the reason that I posted that it wasn't up for debate, is that we don't want the debate over how to handle this issue in the threads in that forum. This problem was discussed in a few threads over here, and by the mods and Erwin, and this is the solution we came up with so far.

In our opinion a subforum would just turn into the same problem in a day or so, that we had before the change.

Upvote 0

La Bonita Zorilla

Diana's Quiver Bearer
Mar 25, 2003
New York
Visit site
✟2,855.00
Faith
Methodist
The use of the term "stickys"---which seems to imply both male and female [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] products---is a slur on LGBTQs as it implies lust in the primary motivation to be LGBTQ and as such is inappropriately offensive.

The new format just makes things unmanagable and unwieldly and appears to suggest rational discussion is not being encouraged.

The old way was better, unwieldy as it was. I would suggest three monitors be designated to approve new threads in the forum to keep things manageable. a person who wishes to start a new thread could PM one of the 3 moderators who would start the thread if they approved of it by pasting from the PM.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.