• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Self righteous anger from victims of narcissistic abuse

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟797,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
This doesn't apply. Human free will, and God's sovereignty, are parallel concepts. This is why we are instructed to pray in this manner: May thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven, because it isn't.
'Parallel', apparently to you, means mutual displacement. To you, it is either his or yours; not his, and therefore yours.

Consider for a moment, the notion that we are not even complete beings, until we see him as he is.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
'Parallel', apparently to you, means mutual displacement. To you, it is either his or yours; not his, and therefore yours.

Consider for a moment, the notion that we are not even complete beings, until we see him as he is.
Calvinist bias came later in history, parallel processes is more "creation"

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟797,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Calvinist bias came later in history, parallel processes is more "creation"
Later in history, after Genesis?

Sovereignty and providence, plan and predestination, God's love and man's rebellion, God's specific attention to detail, man's attempt to self-determine, right from the start.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Later in history, after Genesis?

Sovereignty and providence, plan and predestination, God's love and man's rebellion, God's specific attention to detail, man's attempt to self-determine, right from the start.
Calvinist false dichotomies are not very convincing.

Upvote 0

markbrewer

Mar 29, 2019
kentucky
✟24,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
not all narcissism is caused by abuse and trauma. there is a form called "elite narcissism". this is produced by a parent who raises the child to believe they are "better", more important than others, and that they deserve to be treated as special. i know about this because i worked for such a man for nearly 6 years i finally had all i could take and left that job. seven years ago, he shot and killed his mother, her caretaker, and himself.

Narcissists cannot stand an insult to their power.

Upvote 0

markbrewer

Mar 29, 2019
kentucky
✟24,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
No one is born that way, all personality disorders are a result of poor parenting
i see that this is an older post, but i want to answer this. now, it's true that much trouble is caused by poor parenting, but there are a number of psychopaths who are in fact born that way. they "act out" as soon as they are able, from very early childhood. and they are born to completely normal parents who do everything right.

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟7,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
These days the internet is rife with victims of abuse demonising narcissists, the narrative is judgemental and not seasoned with grace at all, personality disorders are invariably a result of severe childhood trauma, but this fact means nothing to the angry, vindictive survivors.

Ephesians 4:31

get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.

I see this as self righteous, the antidote to this world is christ, only by his spirit can we truly love people, only he can heal their wounds, only he can help survivors to see the perpetrators through Gods eyes, as precious souls that he is willing to save, or if the perpetrator is a believer, as a precious adopted child of God
I'm not sure I fully understand everything you say here. But a few things struck a nerve or 2 just the same. I have PTSD from human evil, which iss the worst kind of PTSD. And the first abuse I experienced was at the hands of a relative, who will remain un-named since.. Who knows who all is reading this and etc. But it was egregious. The person who abused me (not sexually or physically, but mentally/psychologically) is to this day.. uh... what's the word? I can't figure this person out at all. The word Narcissist comes to mind and other people in the family have used that word, but it seems inadequate to explain the things I went through and how it deeply affected me, and affects me somewhat to this day, even though I have forgiven and "moved on" as best I can. Most of the time, I don't even think about this person but every now and then something triggers a memory.. I just think it is harsh to expect people to just forgive and never, ever struggle after doing so.. It just isn't that simple

Jesse Watters @ Fox has a book out about the kind of thing you seem to be speaking of, assuming I am understand the gist of what you say? I haven't read his book yet but plan to

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟7,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
i see that this is an older post, but i want to answer this. now, it's true that much trouble is caused by poor parenting, but there are a number of psychopaths who are in fact born that way. they "act out" as soon as they are able, from very early childhood. and they are born to completely normal parents who do everything right.
There is no such things as a parent, much less both of them, who do everything "right." I know this one parent who admits that she never disciplined her children the way they should have been disciplined (Dad wasn't around). She loved her children but not disciplining them led to massive problems and at least one of the children became a repeat criminal offender. Society paid for her mistakes, even though they were made out of ignorance. She always thought she loved her children, and she did, but having a lot of affection for them does not translate into good parenting, not hardly. I personally do not believe that anyone is born evil, except that all of us are... LOL. That sounds contradictory, but in any case.. I say that, because we are all sinners, we have to raise our children with a knowledge (and experience) of Christ and His Words. His Words have to be read DAILY because it takes a long time for humans to really, really absorb it all. Children raised w/o knowledge of Christ are the real danger to society. And it's scary that Church attendance is going down. It seems Jesus has to come back soon because things are just out of control--

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟7,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Everyone in the faith needs to overcome their past, this appeal to "special treatment" is part of the disorder, no need to enable.
I agree but again, it is a process. It took me a long time to forgive the relative (I speak of elsewhere). To me, it was seemingly unforgivable what the person did, until I began to understand what true forgiveness is. IT is not letting the person off the hook, it is not staying involved w/ an evil person.. No, you can't do that. And it was a learning experience realizing that just because I forgive does not mean that God will never hold the person accountable.

Jesus said that FEW find the narrow Way to Heaven. That ought to tell us something about HIS Justice. It's just that He doesn't appear to make things JUST until the very end (Heaven or Hell, depending)

Upvote 0