Jun 27, 2015
✟39,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have read fasting guidelines on the following webpage and I have some questions about these instructions. Click here to read the guidelines:

I am thinking of going on a prolonged fast where I only drink juice or water. The fasting guidelines document says to take an herbal laxative during a fast of three days or more to clear solid waste products from your intestines or otherwise toxins are reabsorbed back into your body.

I have a question about this because if I have to take an herbal laxative when I do a fast of three days or more, this might place a restriction on when I can start the fast. The herbal laxative which I got from the health food store is called Swiss Kriss. This might mean that I have to start the fast on the weekend so that if I have an accident in my pants from the laxative, that I will not be at work when this happens. I work Monday through Friday, and I am blessed by a job that does not require much physical labor, so I think a juice fast of several days will give me enough strength to get through my days of work. So my question is, does this mean that I will be restricted to starting the fast on the weekend to avoid having an accident in my pants at work?

The other issue is that the guidelines say to abstain from high fat or high sugar food a few days before the fast. I'm not sure how self disciplined I will be in not eating any junk food during the three days before the fast. Also the guidelines say to eat fruit and vegetables only three plus days after the fast for an extended fast. I think I could do this on the first day after the fast but for three days it may be hard to restrict myself in this way and not eat other foods.

Finally, the guidelines explain that the stomach shrinks in size during the fast and not to over-expand the stomach by overeating. I think this will be hard to not eat a lot when I go to restaurants after the fast is over because I often stuff myself at restaurants by eating an entire large meal. It may take self discipline to get a take home bag and take part of the meal home.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have read fasting guidelines on the following webpage and I have some questions about these instructions. Click here to read the guidelines:

I am thinking of going on a prolonged fast where I only drink juice or water. The fasting guidelines document says to take an herbal laxative during a fast of three days or more to clear solid waste products from your intestines or otherwise toxins are reabsorbed back into your body.

I have a question about this because if I have to take an herbal laxative when I do a fast of three days or more, this might place a restriction on when I can start the fast. The herbal laxative which I got from the health food store is called Swiss Kriss. This might mean that I have to start the fast on the weekend so that if I have an accident in my pants from the laxative, that I will not be at work when this happens. I work Monday through Friday, and I am blessed by a job that does not require much physical labor, so I think a juice fast of several days will give me enough strength to get through my days of work. So my question is, does this mean that I will be restricted to starting the fast on the weekend to avoid having an accident in my pants at work?

The other issue is that the guidelines say to abstain from high fat or high sugar food a few days before the fast. I'm not sure how self disciplined I will be in not eating any junk food during the three days before the fast. Also the guidelines say to eat fruit and vegetables only three plus days after the fast for an extended fast. I think I could do this on the first day after the fast but for three days it may be hard to restrict myself in this way and not eat other foods.

Finally, the guidelines explain that the stomach shrinks in size during the fast and not to over-expand the stomach by overeating. I think this will be hard to not eat a lot when I go to restaurants after the fast is over because I often stuff myself at restaurants by eating an entire large meal. It may take self discipline to get a take home bag and take part of the meal home.

Honestly, I would completely ignore everything those "fasting guidelines" have to say. There has not been a "resurgence in fasting" at any time at all. Fasting has been part of the Church for two thousand years now. The website quotes some of the Church Fathers on fasting and then I suppose the writer of it has the belief that fasting for some reason ended for all this time and they want to bring it back. And no one has ever taken herbal laxatives or done any of the other things that website has to say. Fasting is merely abstaining from some thing or another for a given time. If you'd like you can even download an Orthodox calendar and it will tell you what the fast is for any given day.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟71,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I always liked Kenneth Hagin's "Commonsense Guide to fasting" Free at https://gthinkers.org/spiritual_books/Kenneth E. Hagin A common sense guide to fasting..pdf.pdf
However, I do know of a church where up to 30 people will go for 21 days. The pastor recommends some prune juice and takes supplements. I'd be careful on the longer fasts and be led of the Holy Spirit. When you are walking with God, I think he will let you know when you are done. I might mention too that at least for me fasting is for a purpose. During the fast you can get yourself in a position of faith that may allude you if you do not fast. Isaiah 58:6 for example. One might also just do it because Jesus said we would, but I don't think having some goals is wrong from the outset. Of course, many benefits might be unseen, or they may not manifest until the fast has ended. God bless, I wish you God's best in this area.

Upvote 0