Question on the Anglican faith

P

pdehart

I was recently reading about the Aglican church and I have a question. I came across the statement "God became Man that Man might become God". Could some explain this to me. I understand that we are a;ive in Christ through the resurrection, but never have I hered the expression that man might become God. Have a real problem with that. Thanks for your help.
Pat

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One with the Energies; the "activity" of God, not One with the Substance (Essence), or the literal Being of God.

Theosis doesn't strip us of our humanity; we do not cease being human or being uniquely our individual selves. It does, however, elevate us beyond even Adam and Eve to become very much like Jesus, sans true Divinity. It is a transfiguration, not a literal deification.

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was recently reading about the Aglican church and I have a question. I came across the statement "God became Man that Man might become God". Could some explain this to me. I understand that we are a;ive in Christ through the resurrection, but never have I hered the expression that man might become God. Have a real problem with that. Thanks for your help.
Pat

Read Athanasius - it was he who penned those words.

You probably need to look at Orthodoxy to get the fuller picture.

The whole concept behind Athanasius' words is the idea that we are not genetically constrained by the Fall. There is no 'original' sin.

What there is is a humanity that has tripped and is struggling to gain its feet.

Athanasius recognized that we are 'made in the image of God' and that we are therefore 'like' him. Our job is to get closer to that likeness.

The whole judgement atonement theology is a perverse Western ideology more designed to keep the ecclesiastical police in control over the plebiscitary.

For Athanasius, God became human to show us how Godlike we were - not to fulfill some bizarre sacrifice.

Upvote 0