Nov 12, 2008
✟243,234.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I half see where you are going with that, but I would disagree. A couple of examples:

I would far rather someone call me a liar if they think I am lying, than pussyfoot around with euphemisms that are so distorted it is difficult to recognise they have called that.

I appreciate having a door held open for me and like to hold doors open for others. I do not like being disparaged by militant feminists when I do it for a female.

Political correctness plays to the notion that people have an inherent right to be offended by what others do or say, without regard as to how that makes the other person feel. Let's just be polite.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Political correctness plays to the notion that people have an inherent right to be offended by what others do or say, without regard as to how that makes the other person feel. Let's just be polite.

I don't think that is the case at all. We all agree that people are free to say racist, bigoted, misogynistic, an xenophobic things. What we are pointing to is that people also have the right to call out racists, bigots, misogynists, and xenophobes for what they are.

At its most basic, we think people should at least put forth a minimal effort to show empathy for their fellow human beings. That is what political correctness is. Yes, people can push PC to the point where it is too cute by half. However, at the heart of it is the idea that a moral and ethical person should strive to understand their position in the world, the struggles they face, and their worth as a human being.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟243,234.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that is the case at all. We all agree that people are free to say racist, bigoted, misogynistic, an xenophobic things. What we are pointing to is that people also have the right to call out racists, bigots, misogynists, and xenophobes for what they are.

At its most basic, we think people should at least put forth a minimal effort to show empathy for their fellow human beings. That is what political correctness is. Yes, people can push PC to the point where it is too cute by half. However, at the heart of it is the idea that a moral and ethical person should strive to understand their position in the world, the struggles they face, and their worth as a human being.
I acknowledge that this may have been the honourable intent. However, there are too many cases when its application is what you have described as "too cute by half". These have largely undermined the goals of PC.

I appreciate anecdotes are not sound evidence, but this is an example of what I find distasteful about PC. A colleague from a culture and a country where it was appropriate to kiss a lady's hand when introduced was reported by said lady and required to take an internal course on sexual harassment. No evidence there that said lady strove to understand the position of of an individual who was treating her with respect. Instead a selfish and ignorant misinterpretation of a gesture.

When a tool is no longer performing the task for which it was designed it is time to replace the tool.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I appreciate anecdotes are not sound evidence, but this is an example of what I find distasteful about PC. A colleague from a culture and a country where it was appropriate to kiss a lady's hand when introduced was reported by said lady and required to take an internal course on sexual harassment. No evidence there that said lady strove to understand the position of of an individual who was treating her with respect. Instead a selfish and ignorant misinterpretation of a gesture.

What I have seen time after time is people who are victims of oversensitive PC police are able to sit down with those they have offended and explain themselves. I have yet to see this not work. In the case of your anecdote, the gentleman could sit down with the offended party and honestly explain that it was meant as a sign of respect, and that it wouldn't happen in the future. People can see when people are being honest and empathetic, or at least recognize the effort to be so.

What grates on people is when the offender, justifiably or not, doubles down and refuses to honestly explain themselves. Even worse, they will sometimes knowingly offend people in retribution with even more offensive language.

All too often, when people say "I like him because he's a straight shooter", or "I like him because he speaks his mind", what they are really saying is that they like having a public figure who insults people they don't like.

When a tool is no longer performing the task for which it was designed it is time to replace the tool.

Or it is time to use the tool properly.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
when people who are tainted by sin start forming ideas of what is right what ends up happening is that what is good turns to evil because they themselves are not free. the devil comes to kill, steal, and destroy. of course each human is like a world and so it is a bit more complicated than that.

humans who depend too much on static laws of their own mind or heart are full of madness and have lost touch with themselves and reality... but maybe that is because sin corrupts everything it touches.

unless you are alive it does not matter if you happened to wear the outfit of PC or the golden rule. when you are not alive you are a product of your environment which includes whatever you happen to have learned and felt and experienced and so whatever can overcome you is your master. the phrase "king of kings" might actually have reason in them if you had wisdom in you. what use are things to a dead man? but the compost is good for growing new plants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
when people who are tainted by sin start forming ideas of what is right what ends up happening is that what is good turns to evil because they themselves are not free. the devil comes to kill, steal, and destroy. of course each human is like a world and so it is a bit more complicated than that.

humans who depend too much on static laws of their own mind or heart are full of madness and have lost touch with themselves and reality... but maybe that is because sin corrupts everything it touches.

unless you are alive it does not matter if you happened to wear the outfit of PC or the golden rule. when you are not alive you are a product of your environment which includes whatever you happen to have learned and felt and experienced and so whatever can overcome you is your master. the phrase "king of kings" might actually have reason in them if you had wisdom in you. what use are things to a dead man? but the compost is good for growing new plants.
I thought everyone is tainted by sin. Therefore no one should be forming ideas of what is right because then good will become evil? Sounds like a no win situation.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought everyone is tainted by sin. Therefore no one should be forming ideas of what is right because then good will become evil? Sounds like a no win situation.

if all people are like a world full of things then only that which is under sin is bad. that which is good is still good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let me see if I have this right: the sin in people is bad, and the good in people is, er... good ?

Makes sense.

except that there are complex interactions going on which complicate everything. there has to be a kind of order, reason, or hierarchy to things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Lots of people complain about political correctness, but isn't it just really the modern day version of the Golden Rule?
To me, it's just basic manners. I don't really understand the difference between the two, or why the people who complain about parents not doing their jobs seem to be the ones proudly refusing to be polite...

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Which has nothing to do with this thread.

it does but your opinion is what it is. it is important to define a thing and that is why what i said is relevant to this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums