✟88,731.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NIV, 1 Timothy 1:

15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst.
Paul persecuted the church before his conversion. Three decades later, he still thought about that as if it were yesterday. He used the historical present tense.

English Standard Version:

The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.
ESV translated G4413 as "foremost". Paul humbled himself before the Christian brothers. NIV, Ephesians 3:

8 Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ.

awstar

Aug 21, 2004
✟2,313.00
Faith
Methodist
My preferred translation says:

15. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
16. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Doesn't the word "chief" refer to Paul's being the first sinner to be saved for the specific purpose to be a pattern to them which should come later to believe on Jesus for everlasting life?

• Winner
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

david p

Jun 10, 2023
San Bernardino County
✟8,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
NIV, 1 Timothy 1:

Paul persecuted the church before his conversion. Three decades later, he still thought about that as if it were yesterday. He used the historical present tense.

English Standard Version:

ESV translated G4413 as "foremost". Paul humbled himself before the Christian brothers. NIV, Ephesians 3:
'For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is (J)esus Christ.'
1 Corinthians 3:11

'According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.'
1 Corinthians 3:10

'12Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.'
1 Corinthians 3

Ephesians 2:20
'And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, (J)esus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;'

'For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is (J)esus Christ.'

Upvote 0

david p

Jun 10, 2023
San Bernardino County
✟8,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

'According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.'
1 Corinthians 3:10

'12Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.'
1 Corinthians 3

Ephesians 2:20
'And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, (J)esus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;'

Genesis 1:1 (KJV)

Paul wrote: I AM the WORST sinner​

Jump to latestFollowReply
https://www.christianforums.com/threads/paul-wrote-i-am-the-worst-sinner.8298438/#post-77655803

Upvote 0

david p

Jun 10, 2023
San Bernardino County
✟8,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Acts 21:39 'But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia,...'

Tarsus was a city in ancient Cilicia located in the modern-day province of Mersin, Turkey.

Tarsus

A citizen of Turkey with parents of Turkish descent? A 'jew'.

Unchecked Copy Box
Jdg 1:21
'And the children of Ben(j)am(i)n did not drive out the (J)ebus(i)tes that inhabited (J)erusalem; but the (J)ebus(i)tes dwell with the children of Ben(j)am(i)n in (J)erusalem unto this day.'

Judea or Judaea (/dʒuːˈdiːə, dʒuːˈdeɪə/;[1] Hebrew: יהודה, Modern: Yəhūda, Tiberian: Yehūḏā; Greek: Ἰουδαία, Ioudaía; Latin: Iudaea) is a mountainous region of the Levant. Traditionally dominated by the city of Jerusalem, it is now part of Palestine and Israel.

Judea - Wikipedia

Acts 21:39 'But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia,...'

Upvote 0

david p

Jun 10, 2023
San Bernardino County
✟8,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

1. One who knew how to ride horseback... from (J)erusalem to Damascus, Syria... Impressive for a non Military horseman?

1714250289152.png

184 miles · Light traffic · 3 hr 26 min
Jerusalem→Damascus, Damascus Governorate

184 miles · Light traffic · 3 hr 26 min
Jerusalem→Damascus, Damascus Governorate
Reverse directions

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=9ae2...XyZtb2RlPXQmdj0yJnNWPTEmRk9STT1TTkFQU1Q&ntb=1

1714250331175.jpeg
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=a227...n5-fn5-fn5-djEyLGswLG4yJkZPUk09TVBTUlBM&ntb=1

Upvote 0

david p

Jun 10, 2023
San Bernardino County
✟8,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hillel (Hebrew: הִלֵּל Hīllēl; variously called Hillel the Elder, Hillel the Great, or Hillel the Babylonian;[1][2] died c. 10 CE) was a Jewish religious leader, sage and scholar associated with the development of the Mishnah and the Talmud and the founder of the House of Hillel school of tannaim. He was active during the end of the first century BCE and the beginning of the first century CE.[3]

He is popularly known as the author of two sayings:[4]

(1) "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And being for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?";

(2) "That which is hateful to you, do not do unto your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation;[a] go and learn."

Hillel the Elder - Wikipedia

Gamaliel the Elder (/ɡəˈmeɪliəl, -ˈmɑː-, ˌɡæməˈliːəl/;[1] also spelled Gamliel; Hebrew: רַבַּן גַּמְלִיאֵל הַזָּקֵן Rabban Gamlīʾēl hazZāqēn; Koinē Greek: Γαμαλιὴλ ὁ Πρεσβύτερος Gamaliēl ho Presbýteros), or Rabban Gamaliel I, was a leading authority in the Sanhedrin in the early first century CE. He was the son of Simeon ben Hillel and grandson of the great Jewish teacher Hillel the Elder. He fathered Simeon ben Gamliel, who was named for Gamaliel's father,[2] and a daughter, who married a priest named Simon ben Nathanael.[3]

In the Christian tradition, Gamaliel is recognized as a Pharisee doctor of Jewish Law.[4] Acts of the Apostles, 5 speaks of Gamaliel as a man held in great esteem by all Jews and as the Jewish law teacher of Paul the Apostle in Acts 22:3.[5] Gamaliel encouraged his fellow Pharisees to show leniency to the apostles of Jesus Christ in Acts 5:34.

Gamaliel - Wikipedia

you are fallen

from heaven

1966 [e]
hê·lêl
הֵילֵ֣ל
Lucifer
N‑ms

son

of the morning

[How] you are cut down

to the ground

You who weakened

the nations

helel: a shining one
Original Word: הֵילֵל
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: helel
Phonetic Spelling: (hay-lale')
Definition: a shining one

(I)sa(i)ah 14:12 'How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!'

Upvote 0

david p

Jun 10, 2023
San Bernardino County
✟8,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
(I)sa(i)ah 14:12 'How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!'
Ezekiel 8

'1And it came to pass in the sixth year, in the sixth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I sat in mine house, and the elders of Judah sat before me, that the hand of the Lord GOD fell there upon me. 2Then I beheld, and lo a likeness as the appearance of fire: from the appearance of his loins even downward, fire; and from his loins even upward, as the appearance of brightness, as the colour of amber. 3And he put forth the form of an hand, and took me by a lock of mine head; and the spirit lifted me up between the earth and the heaven, and brought me in the visions of God to Jerusalem, to the door of the inner gate that looketh toward the north; where was the seat of the image of jealousy, which provoketh to jealousy. 4And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain.

5Then said he unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry. 6He said furthermore unto me, Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from my sanctuary? but turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations.

7And he brought me to the door of the court; and when I looked, behold a hole in the wall. 8Then said he unto me, Son of man, dig now in the wall: and when I had digged in the wall, behold a door. 9And he said unto me, Go in, and behold the wicked abominations that they do here. 10So I went in and saw; and behold every form of creeping things, and abominable beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel, pourtrayed upon the wall round about. 11And there stood before them seventy men of the ancients of the house of Israel, and in the midst of them stood Jaazaniah the son of Shaphan, with every man his censer in his hand; and a thick cloud of incense went up. 12Then said he unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery? for they say, The LORD seeth us not; the LORD hath forsaken the earth. 13He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.

14Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD'S house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz. 15Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.

16And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD'S house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east. 17Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah that they commit the abominations which they commit here? for they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose. 18Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them.'

helel: a shining one
Original Word: הֵילֵל
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: helel
Phonetic Spelling: (hay-lale')
Definition: a shining one

Upvote 0