provincial
✟769,042.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's the kind of thing that is completely senseless and really makes my blood boil. Does the city have nothing better to do than harass poor homeless people? Wonder what their defense will be on judgement day.

_____

Pastor Moses Colbert of Faith, Hope and Love Community Enrichment Ministries has worked to place trailer homes on church property for homeless individuals. He’s also set up tents that house about 100 people nearby, WCCB Charlotte reports.

His ministry provides meals, counseling, education, and addiction-recovery services.

However, the City of North Carolina said Colbert ignored safety regulations and zoning laws.
Meanwhile, Colbert has said he feels like his ministry is being targeted.
He told city leaders to “stop demonizing this ministry.” He said, “It looks like you’re discriminating against me, but it’s these (unhoused) people bearing the brunt of it.”

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟233,276.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ministries aren't exempt from having to follow city and state ordinances and laws. I found an article from January 2022 that shows where Pastor Colbert received a letter asking him to come into compliance within 30 days or he would be fined $100 for each day thereafter that he is in violation of the ordinances. He shouldn't be surprised that the city followed through with what they said they were going to do if he failed to comply.

In addition to being in violation of local ordinances, it appears that there are a lot of problems occurring at this property:

City staff has met on several occasions with Pastor Moses Colbert to inform him that the church was built as a church and can only be used for that purpose, which does not include overnight housing.

The city said due to zoning regulations, shelters are not permitted by right in the city. Also, Section 319 of the 2018 North Carolina Fire Code specifically mentions the requirements for operating a shelter for homeless citizens. The city said Pastor Moses has been notified numerous times to cease operations immediately in the church until he has obtained zoning clearance, satisfied the NC Fire Code, or applied for a change of use.
(Source)

The city found he had violated the code ordinances by allowing people to stay on the property, trash on the property, and having two trailers on site that were not zoned properly.

The site has also begun to face questions over safety, with first responders being called to 418 N. Oakland St. more than 300 times in one year.

It was revealed Tuesday night that another person died at the site, for an unknown reason.
(Source)

According to the article linked in the OP, "emergency personnel has had to respond to more than 160 calls for assistance at the church since January" of this year.

That's more than 460 emergency calls in just 18 months!

If this pastor wants to continue helping the homeless in his community, he needs to find a more suitable location to house them, and have properly trained volunteers help him in order to avoid having the kind of problems they have seen in the past.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It's the kind of thing that is completely senseless and really makes my blood boil. Does the city have nothing better to do than harass poor homeless people? Wonder what their defense will be on judgement day.

_____

Pastor Moses Colbert of Faith, Hope and Love Community Enrichment Ministries has worked to place trailer homes on church property for homeless individuals. He’s also set up tents that house about 100 people nearby, WCCB Charlotte reports.

His ministry provides meals, counseling, education, and addiction-recovery services.

However, the City of North Carolina said Colbert ignored safety regulations and zoning laws.
He told city leaders to “stop demonizing this ministry.” He said, “It looks like you’re discriminating against me, but it’s these (unhoused) people bearing the brunt of it.”

Homeless people should be given a very small amount of space. Like 12 by 12 feet. You can give them all the land you want, but it has to be cleaned up every day. They need to clean up after themselves.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Pastor Colbert received a letter asking him to come into compliance within 30 days
There was a pastor, Dr Dino that got 10 years in jail thinking he did not have to comply. I never had any problem with inspectors. If you treat them right with respect they will go to bat for you.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,166.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

_____

You find it senseless for cities to
have zoning or any other ordinances?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,166.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ministries aren't exempt from having to follow city and state ordinances and laws. I found an article from January 2022 that shows where Pastor Colbert received a letter asking him to come into compliance within 30 days or he would be fined $100 for each day thereafter that he is in violation of the ordinances. He shouldn't be surprised that the city followed through with what they said they were going to do if he failed to comply.

In addition to being in violation of local ordinances, it appears that there are a lot of problems occurring at this property:

City staff has met on several occasions with Pastor Moses Colbert to inform him that the church was built as a church and can only be used for that purpose, which does not include overnight housing.

The city said due to zoning regulations, shelters are not permitted by right in the city. Also, Section 319 of the 2018 North Carolina Fire Code specifically mentions the requirements for operating a shelter for homeless citizens. The city said Pastor Moses has been notified numerous times to cease operations immediately in the church until he has obtained zoning clearance, satisfied the NC Fire Code, or applied for a change of use.
(Source)

The city found he had violated the code ordinances by allowing people to stay on the property, trash on the property, and having two trailers on site that were not zoned properly.

The site has also begun to face questions over safety, with first responders being called to 418 N. Oakland St. more than 300 times in one year.

It was revealed Tuesday night that another person died at the site, for an unknown reason.
(Source)

According to the article linked in the OP, "emergency personnel has had to respond to more than 160 calls for assistance at the church since January" of this year.

That's more than 460 emergency calls in just 18 months!

If this pastor wants to continue helping the homeless in his community, he needs to find a more suitable location to house them, and have properly trained volunteers help him in order to avoid having the kind of problems they have seen in the past.
Criminal behaviour by pastors is hardly a new thing.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,166.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well excuse me for having compassion for people who are homeless.
That's not even remotely it.

No more than Mr preachers fatuous claims of persecution.

Now, are to address whether it's ok for all of us to
scoff at laws and ordinances in what we fancy is a good cause?

Here is an example of what a no- law place to
accommodate the stateless / homeless looks
like. Google Image Result for https://i.insider.com/54d3d7dfeab8ea73448b4567?width=750&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Or make it two.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Criminal behaviour by pastors is hardly a new thing.
I know of two pastors that have gone to jail for 10 years each. Jim Baker and Dr Dino. Then there was that Dugger guy that was on TV that got 12 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟358,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

_____

The problem is we all have to follow rules and regulations. At the same time there may be a way around them. Someone will find it.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It's the kind of thing that is completely senseless
Zoning codes are not senseless. There is a reason and a purpose for why we have them. The city will usually work with you. They give warnings and time to comply. I got along good with the inspectors because I respected them and the job they were doing.

Romans 13:4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Arrest anyone who thimks they are above the law
Dr Dino and Jim Baker went to jail for 10 years each. I sent an
Email to Dr Dino advising that he get alone with the government. He ignored me.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟903,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well excuse me for having compassion for people who are homeless.
If there are laws on zoning and the pastor is not following them then he is breaking the law and THAT is why he was fined NOT because he was housing homeless people. Now IF in fact he is being targeted due to being a pastor or because it is ministries then that is a different matter, but even the Bible says that we must follow the laws of the land unless they conflict with God's laws which as I said assuming that the pastor is breaking a zoning law that is enforced equally meaning that it is not a matter of his faith zoning laws do not. For example, if he wished to build a building in the proper zoning and they turned him down BECAUSE he intended to use it for ministry purposes then that would be wrong illegal on their end and one may could say that following the law at that point would be disobeying God's word, but ministries are not excused from zoning laws which was WHY he was fined he was not fined for helping the homeless he was fined for refusing to follow a law that he is not excused from simply because he is doing God's work.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟372,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Our society hates the homeless. To be clear though, it's loud individuals who vociferously complain to government who hate the homeless.

Homeless architecture in north America is inhumane and awful. NUMEROUS churches and organizations get in trouble with the police and govt for helping feed the homeless.

We have been conditiones to think that our societal battles are left vs. Right. But really they are top v bottom.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0