✟11,602.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted an original thread here in the Ancient Faith area, Below are links to my original posts from 2007 and 2015.

Orthodox Wanderer I - Orthodox Wanderer
Orthodox Wander II - Orthodox Wanderer (Part II)

I don't want to be guilty of spiritual pride so I am going to keep this post shorter. After 20 years I am returning to the Orthodox Church. The return to the Church as been sudden and somewhat unexpected.

I never renounced Orthodoxy. That I made clear in my first post in 2007. I was never properly catechized so I didn't know what I didn't know. The idea of Heterodox Christianity was foreign to me. I knew that Orthodoxy was the oldest branch but I didn't really understand why that was important.

Through out these last 20 years I have maintained a thin link to Orthodoxy but without having a real "connection". I have relatives about 400 miles away. Every so often I would visit their church. I noticed the more immersed I got into Protestantism I slowly started to forget things I knew when I was younger. I forgot how to cross myself. I felt more awkward in the Orthodox Church. My resentments grew at my parents, mostly my Dad, for not passing the faith down.

God has been merciful to me the last 7 years. I have remained married. What was once a new marriage is now going on 15 years. Our adult kids are mostly doing well. My job remains somewhat stable in these uncertain times. Like all Protestants I read scripture frequently.

A number of strange coincidences all happened over a short period of time which I believe assisted me in my return to the Orthodox Church.

The strange COVID summer of 2020 - It disconnected me from my Protestant congregation. It was a difficult summer. As I watched our country being torn apart by division and riots I became angrier and angrier. I wrote a long letter to my Uncle, who I think is pretty wise, and we discussed the events that happened in Russia in 1917. I was wondering if the U.S. was having it's 1917 moment. During this Summer I started to read online about the Communist persecution of the Orthodox Church. I was always aware of it but not very educated in the scope of the persecution. As I struggled to maintain my spirituality disconnected from my church I pulled out a couple of my Orthodox Books. I started dabbling with the Jesus Prayer and also revisiting the Philokalia. It didn't occur to me that these ancient prayers would perhaps be even more effective if I were back in communion with the church. I thought I could keep my residual Orthodoxy in the corner kind of as a side thing to my Protestant Christianity. Sometimes I would hear people criticize Orthodoxy in my Church and I would always stick up for it - even though I was far from an expert.

Discovering a local Orthodox Parish online on YouTube - As I got older the memories of my childhood experiences in the Orthodox Church had faded. The Liturgy is so much better in person than online. I watched it online during the COVID summer. It still seemed holy but sometimes I would fast forward to the homily. I had become accustomed to think of the SERMON as the center of the worship. I had been driving by this church for years but was still a long ways from walking in the door.

An interest in prayer and meditation - My job became increasingly stressful through a recession and also a corporate merger. I started to dabble with meditation again. I tried to keep it to secular meditation though I did read some Buddhists texts. I thought to myself, "I am a Christian". I am not against anyone else but I don't want to become Buddhist again. I started going through the Philokalia with a highlighter looking for verses on contemplative prayer and also silent prayer. Still no thought of going back to the Orthodox Church.

My excuses were strong. My wife is a dyed in the wool Protestant. We can't go to separate churches. I didn't get all the traditions handed down. I wasn't properly catechized. It's been too long. I shouldn't rock the boat. I am the lead guitar player in a great Praise and Worship Band. Because I was playing guitar every week it would be hard to slip out of the old church quietly. I should wait till my pastor retires.

A conversation with my wife planted a seed. Since I have been with my wife we have mostly gone to Evangelical Churches. We also visited a Pentecostal Church and a Baptists Church. Sometimes I would get irritated and say "we have visited every church accept the Orthodox Church". We did go to a cousins Wedding. We had a good time but my wife didn't seem that impressed. I was, of course, nervous but also happy to be visiting an Orthodox Church. To me, going to an Orthodox Church was always a big deal - regardless of the reason. My wife and I talked about moving in 5 or 10 years. I casually said to her, "If we move I want to visit that local Orthodox Church once a month". I thought we would stay in our Protestant Church but I would scratch the itch I had to explore Orthodoxy and my heritage (mostly alone and without my wife).

Why do I have to wait until we move? This thought occurred to me a few weeks after that talk with my wife.

How do I explain Orthodoxy to my wife? She went with me once to my cousins wedding. But my Orthodox books were mostly alien and foreign to her. I started to pull up the church calendar of that local parish. I would plan a visit alone without telling my wife. I was tired of trying to explain it to her. I found a liturgy on a Thursday. It was a feast day. I told my boss I had some business to attend to and that I would be late to work. I laid out nice clothes the night before. My wife wondered why I was getting dressed so nice. I told her that some managers were coming into the office that day. I tossed and turned that night with restless sleep. I was fearing walking into that church. Would I venerate the icon properly. Should I just find a place in the back and plant myself there?

That morning I woke up, got dressed, and drove to the church. This will sound crazy but half way to the church I got a call from my 23 year old son's boss. There was a small emergency. My son ended up being ok but my plan to visit the church got derailed. Did God not want me to return to the Orthodox Church? Was it a message?

Later that night I emailed the priest.. I also made small donation to the building fund. I told him a small part of my story but tried to keep the email brief. I also told my wife that evening about my plans to visit the church and how it got sidetracked. She felt bad that I wasn't honest with her. She said she would visit the Orthodox Church with me. We looked at the overly busy calendar and picked a day two weeks away. Our calendar was so packed it was hard to find time. We cooked dinner at our old church. I had praise band practice and business travel. My excuses started to come back.

The day finally arrived. I had another night of restless sleep. My wife went to a women's event at our old church. She would probably be too tired when she got home to also attend a Vespers I thought. Maybe I should go alone. I got nervous as the day approached evening. I had a hard time finding what to wear. I wore a suit without a tie. When in doubt, dress more formal I thought. We made the drive to the church. We got out of the car and I said, "Well let's see how it goes".

The first Service. It went well. We stood in back. I did feel awkward but also the other people in the church we friendly. I was reverential. I wasn't there to cause a problem or a disturbance. I met the priest and the priest's wife after the service. The priest seemed pretty busy. He said, "Now you know where to find us". I thought the service went pretty well.

The big surprise was that my wife liked it. We walked out the door after chatting with some people in the entry way. I asked her, "What did you think of all that?". My wife said she loved it. I had tried for a long time to explain what little I knew about Orthodoxy to my wife but really she had to experience it for herself. She liked the idea of full sensory worship. Also the reverential demeanor of the church made a big impact on her.

I have to speed this up....

We have gone about 15 times. We started with Vespers. We did about 9 vespers, 5 liturgies, and also one Matins. We also have been attending some Orthodox Faith & Life classes on Wednesday nights. The books on my shelf have suddenly become interesting to my wife. She even went to a Vespers without me when I had to work late one day.

It's been complex. The exit from our old church has been handled somewhat clumsily. Now that I have my "foot in the door" of Orthodoxy I want to stay. I had a private meeting with the priest where I had a lot of questions and also 6 pages of notes. I have gone through feelings of joy but also some mourning for leaving the old church. I have watched a bunch of Youtube videos. Father Josiah Trenham in Southern CA has some bold and powerful videos that have helped me put together a case, besides my feelings and nostalgia, for why I should become Orthodox again. Also, I feel lucky that I was baptized even though I had a chaotic childhood. My wife wants to join the church as well. My wife surprised me by getting a Church Calendar from one of the deacons.

I shouldn't really be surprised that my wife likes it. She loves scripture. She loves God. When you add the sacred Traditions, the Icons, and the Beauty of the Liturgy it actually makes sense that she would like it. We got ourselves a Prayer Book. After decades of saying prayers "off the top of my head" I am ready to try to prayers of the Ancient Church Fathers.

Last week I wrote my Pastor a short, respectful note that I was attending Orthodox services. I am going to meet him for lunch in a week or two. For a while I just isolated. After 20 years on the Protestant side of the fence I need to strengthen what I know about Orthodoxy and get planted. One of my cousins in Southern California has been good support while we go through this great but also somewhat tough period of time.

So much for keeping this short. I told the Priest that I have been thinking about returning for 15 years. I am new in so many ways but I still remember some things. A wise Deacon at the Church told me to trust God and also said I am in the "dating phase" with the church.

That's all I have for now.

Prodigal 7

Last edited:

Prodigal7

Feb 10, 2007
California
✟11,602.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Glory to God!

Thanks. I have been working on a "lifetime confession". It's a bit overwhelming but I am just going to trust the process and share it with the priest.

My wife wants to become a catechumen so I might not have the eucharist for a while. I was talking with the priest yesterday. It might make sense for us to formally enter at the same time.

I haven't been online much. I am focusing on showing up at church, doing my daily prayer rule, and trying to learn & absorb what I have missed all these years.

The truth is I didn't know what I was missing. I really love it.

Upvote 0

Prodigal7

Feb 10, 2007
California
✟11,602.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Glory to God! Thank you for sharing your journey. :)

Thanks.

I told a family member (from the Orthodox side of my family) that I have learned more in a few months of attending liturgy and vespers than I did in years from reading books.

I don't know why I was so nervous. Maybe the evil one was trying to keep me away.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

Prodigal7

Feb 10, 2007
California
✟11,602.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Glory to God! I'm glad that your wife likes the Church, which might not always happen to a Non-Orthodox spouse.

I am lucky. My wife a couple days ago discarded a lot of her Protestant and non-denominational books. She said she wants to become a catechumen.

I didn't really try to persuade her. She attended that first vespers with me and was immediately intrigued. Also, she sensed that something was missing from a purely "sola scriptura" point of view. Why wouldn't we want to learn about the Saints?

Maybe this long journey had a purpose after all. I am not sure. I have been talking about Orthodoxy a lot with my family and friends.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Prodigal7

Feb 10, 2007
California
✟11,602.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
continued prayers!
Hi Army Matt,

Are you a priest? I thought I might have read that somewhere.

We went to liturgy today. I notice the services seem to be going quicker. I am getting used to the familiarity of the service.

One of the things that was brand new to me was the Prayer Book. When I was a kid I picked up on some things but not the prayer book. I have a prayer rule now - the thrice holy, Psalm 50, the creed, 100 Jesus Prayers, and a prayer to the Theotokos.

I was baptized but was gone for a long time. I am lucky that my wife likes it. She hasn’t done the catechumen prayers yet but I think that will come soon (hopefully). I look forward to being in communion again but can’t rush the process. Learning to listen and follow suggestions is something I am getting used to.

I have felt some grief that it took me so long to come back - half a lifetime. I was under the illusion that what I was doing was enough. I also thought I could stand outside Orthodoxy and use some of the things that I like.

There have been many things that have been a surprise. So many cool and sincere new people, like myself, on this journey. I didn’t realize the Orthodox Faith was so peaceful. It seems like there is an unlimited amount of things to learn. I like the Saints. Reading about real heroes who suffered and sometimes died for the faith is amazing. If only my faith could be so strong.

I admit I “nerd out“ on it sometimes. I like watching Father Josiah Trenhan, Father Spyridon, Jonathan Pagneou, and others. I know I need to be careful of YouTube. It’s no substitute for working with our priest and attending services. We attend an OCA parish in the Sacramento area..

I read the Orthodox Church by Kallistos Ware for a second time. I read it about 10 years ago. I never imagined my wife would want to become Orthodox.

I keep coming across the name Seraphim Rose. I haven’t bought his books yet but I think it’s only a matter of time. A member of the church loaned us a book St. Seraphim of Sarov. My wife and I are both reading that. It’s our first saint book. We are praying in front of our icons and built a little shelf.

I had some strange coincidences. A herd of wild pigs ran across the road when I was driving. This was after a homily on demons being cast into pigs (a couple days later). We went to a vespers a few months ago and then ran into the priest at the grocery story later that night. There have been some other small ones I can’t remember now.

I am committed to this process. That’s all for now.

Prodigal7

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,473,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Army Matt,

Are you a priest? I thought I might have read that somewhere.

We went to liturgy today. I notice the services seem to be going quicker. I am getting used to the familiarity of the service.

One of the things that was brand new to me was the Prayer Book. When I was a kid I picked up on some things but not the prayer book. I have a prayer rule now - the thrice holy, Psalm 50, the creed, 100 Jesus Prayers, and a prayer to the Theotokos.

I was baptized but was gone for a long time. I am lucky that my wife likes it. She hasn’t done the catechumen prayers yet but I think that will come soon (hopefully). I look forward to being in communion again but can’t rush the process. Learning to listen and follow suggestions is something I am getting used to.

I have felt some grief that it took me so long to come back - half a lifetime. I was under the illusion that what I was doing was enough. I also thought I could stand outside Orthodoxy and use some of the things that I like.

There have been many things that have been a surprise. So many cool and sincere new people, like myself, on this journey. I didn’t realize the Orthodox Faith was so peaceful. It seems like there is an unlimited amount of things to learn. I like the Saints. Reading about real heroes who suffered and sometimes died for the faith is amazing. If only my faith could be so strong.

I admit I “nerd out“ on it sometimes. I like watching Father Josiah Trenhan, Father Spyridon, Jonathan Pagneou, and others. I know I need to be careful of YouTube. It’s no substitute for working with our priest and attending services. We attend an OCA parish in the Sacramento area..

I read the Orthodox Church by Kallistos Ware for a second time. I read it about 10 years ago. I never imagined my wife would want to become Orthodox.

I keep coming across the name Seraphim Rose. I haven’t bought his books yet but I think it’s only a matter of time. A member of the church loaned us a book St. Seraphim of Sarov. My wife and I are both reading that. It’s our first saint book. We are praying in front of our icons and built a little shelf.

I had some strange coincidences. A herd of wild pigs ran across the road when I was driving. This was after a homily on demons being cast into pigs (a couple days later). We went to a vespers a few months ago and then ran into the priest at the grocery story later that night. There have been some other small ones I can’t remember now.

I am committed to this process. That’s all for now.

Prodigal7
yes, I am a priest and it’s great to hear your story back home.

continued prayers!

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

Prodigal7

Feb 10, 2007
California
✟11,602.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am close to my lifetime confession. I am going to do it, God willing, in a couple weeks. My wife became a catechumen about a month ago.

It’s been a great but also strange journey. My work is transferring me to another state, Texas. I will re-enter the church before I move hopefully.

I am not nervous about going to Orthodox churches anymore. Last night I went to one in Austin. I haven’t moved yet but I am coming out here a lot for work. I am not moving to Austin but I thought it was important to walk through the doors of a church here in Texas.

Some of my earlier posts I now find embarrassing but that is my journey.

I have some embarrassing stuff in my lifetime confession. I have been reading about repentance though. I tried tackling my sins for years on my own through private confession and it never worked. I think I have been sinning less since rejoining Orthodoxy but sometimes I still regress and fall into sin - especially the ones that bother me most.

My wife is doing great. We met with our future priest already. Moving was definitely a wildcard. It was a big promotion. My old job was also becoming unstable. When I am plugged into the church I worry a lot less. When I am immersed in my own will and ignoring God I find my anxiety and fears spike.

I am enjoying the church calendar. I like the idea that when I read the daily scripture readings I am reading them along with millions of other Orthodox Christians. I feel the same way about the prayers. I have a prayer rule now. Sometimes I blow it but most days I do it.

My first attempt at fasting has been feeble but I am going to jump back on my fast. I have a new boss and had some Texas brisquit with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums