Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How many of you can actually read this and know what it says? ;)

"Enemy sit: Aggressor forces in div strength holding MLR Hill 820 complex gc AT 940713-951716 w/fwd elements est. bn strength junction at gc AT 948715 (See Annex A, COMPHIBPAC intell. summary period ending 25 June) . . . Mission: BLT 1/7 seize, hold and defend obj. A gc 948715 . . . Execution: BLT 1/7 land LZ X-RAY AT 946710 at H-Hour 310600 . . . A co. GSF estab. LZ security LZ X-RAY H minus 10 . . . B co. advance axis BLUE H plus 5 estab. blocking pos. vic gs AT 946710 . . . A, C, D cos. maneuver element commence advance axis BROWN H plus 10 . . . Bn tacnet freq 52.9 . . . shackle code HAZTRCEGBD . . . div. tacair dir. air spt callsign PLAYBOY . . . Mark friendly pos w/air panels or green smoke. Mark target w/WP."

Reactions: Pavel Mosko

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How many of you can actually read this and know what it says? ;)

I've not been in the military, and don't have much familiarity with mid-20th Century US jargon, but I saw the post in the new thread feed and though I'd give this puzzle a go. (I'm a little better at mid-19th century.) [No searching or reference works used.]

"Enemy sit: Aggressor forces in div strength holding MLR Hill 820 complex gc AT 940713-951716 w/fwd elements est. bn strength junction at gc AT 948715 (See Annex A, COMPHIBPAC intell. summary period ending 25 June) . . .

OK the first part gives information on the enemy. It references a map in an intel summary from COMPHIBPAC. [This is one of those lovely military acronyms that they use from SECDEV on down. The last part is clearly "Pacific". COM could be "command or commander". PHI might be Philippines, but that's all I got.]

The enemy has an estimated division holding the Hill 820 complex located at grid coordianates 940713-951716 on the map. [Not sure if MLR is part of the name of the hill complex or connected to "holding" and describing the nature of the emplacement of the enemy troops.]

There are forward positions of approximately battalion strength at a road junction at grid coordinate 948715 on the map.

Mission: BLT 1/7 seize, hold and defend obj. A gc 948715 . . .

The overall mission is for the 1/7 Battalion to capture objective A (the road junction occupied by the enemy battalion), hold that position and defend against counter attack.

Execution: BLT 1/7 land LZ X-RAY AT 946710 at H-Hour 310600 . . .

Overall execution plan. 1/7 Battalion to landing zone "X" at coordianate 946710 at (H-hour) 0600 on the 31st.

A co. GSF estab. LZ security LZ X-RAY H minus 10 . . .

A ground strike force from Company A will secure the landing zone 10 minutes before the main landing (H-10, 0550).

B co. advance axis BLUE H plus 5 estab. blocking pos. vic gs AT 946710 . . .

5 minutes after landing (H+5, 0605) Company B will advance along the map axis labeled "BLUE" to create a blocking position at the landing zone for the security of the rest of the battalion.

A, C, D cos. maneuver element commence advance axis BROWN H plus 10 . . .

At H+10 (0610) the remainder of the battalion (companies A, C, and D) will advance toward the objective along the axis labeled "BROWN".

Bn tacnet freq 52.9 . . . shackle code HAZTRCEGBD . . . div. tacair dir. air spt callsign PLAYBOY

The battalion will use frequency setting of 52.9 on their tactical radios. I assume HAZTRCEGBD is a setting to secure the comms.

Air support from Division will respond to the call sign "playboy".

. . . Mark friendly pos w/air panels or green smoke.

Not sure what air panels are, but the battalion is instructed to use them or green smoke to mark their positions so they don't get bombed.

Mark target w/WP."

Use white phosphorous to mark anything to be attacked by the fly boys.

• Useful
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I've not been in the military, and don't have much familiarity with mid-20th Century US jargon, but I saw the post in the new thread feed and though I'd give this puzzle a go. (I'm a little better at mid-19th century.) [No searching or reference works used.]

OK the first part gives information on the enemy. It references a map in an intel summary from COMPHIBPAC. [This is one of those lovely military acronyms that they use from SECDEV on down. The last part is clearly "Pacific". COM could be "command or commander". PHI might be Philippines, but that's all I got.]

The enemy has an estimated division holding the Hill 820 complex located at grid coordianates 940713-951716 on the map. [Not sure if MLR is part of the name of the hill complex or connected to "holding" and describing the nature of the emplacement of the enemy troops.]

There are forward positions of approximately battalion strength at a road junction at grid coordinate 948715 on the map.

The overall mission is for the 1/7 Battalion to capture objective A (the road junction occupied by the enemy battalion), hold that position and defend against counter attack.

Overall execution plan. 1/7 Battalion to landing zone "X" at coordianate 946710 at (H-hour) 0600 on the 31st.

A ground strike force from Company A will secure the landing zone 10 minutes before the main landing (H-10, 0550).

5 minutes after landing (H+5, 0605) Company B will advance along the map axis labeled "BLUE" to create a blocking position at the landing zone for the security of the rest of the battalion.

At H+10 (0610) the remainder of the battalion (companies A, C, and D) will advance toward the objective along the axis labeled "BROWN".

The battalion will use frequency setting of 52.9 on their tactical radios. I assume HAZTRCEGBD is a setting to secure the comms.

Air support from Division will respond to the call sign "playboy".

Not sure what air panels are, but the battalion is instructed to use them or green smoke to mark their positions so they don't get bombed.

Use white phosphorous to mark anything to be attacked by the fly boys.

Pretty good. PHIB is not the phillipines, it's old fashioned acronym for amphibious, pronounced "Fib". Commander amphibious forces Pacific.

• Informative
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Pretty good. PHIB is not the phillipines, it's old fashioned acronym for amphibious, pronounced "Fib". Commander amphibious forces Pacific.

My first instinct was that "IBPAC" was Intelligence Bureau - Pacific, but those acronyms almost never use single letters, so it would have been INTBUPAC or some thing.

That would make this the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines and the MLR the stalled front of the Korean War. (Now I googled.)

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
My first instinct was that "IBPAC" was Intelligence Bureau - Pacific, but those acronyms almost never use single letters, so it would have been INTBUPAC or some thing.

That would make this the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines and the MLR the stalled front of the Korean War. (Now I googled.)

Wow, I had no idea it was Korean War era. I was thinking a training excercises from the 1960s.

Upvote 0