Newbie Question: Why are Homosexuals so important in the "Progressive" Era?

Marcel_Prix

Oct 22, 2022
Chicago
✟18,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That was a general "you", not you specifically.

FYI since you're new, questioning the faith of other users is against the terms of service on this site.

This is an extraordinarily broad and meaningless statement.

Conversion therapy assumes that homosexuality is an illness that can be "cured". Most homosexuals do not see it that way. I can't really go further into this due to the rules of this site though.

Can you give some examples of what you mean by "force homosexuality on the general public"?

We are not a libertarian society, so this is irrelevant.

I don't know why you sound upset. This is a religious forum not pro-LGBT group. I'm stating the facts as they are.

First of, if you want to get technical, I'll use the example of Traditional Cristian as opposed to Catholic, so you one say that I'm "personalizing" this issue and targeting you or your beliefs. I'll use it in syllogism form:

Premise 1: To to be a Traditional Christian you have to follow the teachings of the Bible.
Premise 2: The teachings of the bible tells us that its wrong to promote LGBT.
Conclusion: You can't be a Traditional Christian and promote LGBT.

I'll give one example, I would say that I disagree with advertising homosexuality in Children's shows. For instance, a series like Steven's Universe. Meanwhile, LGBT activists think this is what the future should be like. Homosexuality should be in most Children shows. Since its a matter of representation. To them the definition of "homophobic" is not refuse to have LGBT representation in Children Shows.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟325,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know why you sound upset. This is a religious forum not pro-LGBT group. I'm stating the facts as they are.
I'm not upset, and I'm not sure what gave you that impression.

I'll give one example, I would say that I disagree with advertising homosexuality in Children's shows. For instance, a series like Steven's Universe.
Having homosexual characters does not "advertise" homosexuality any more than having black characters advertises blackness or having female characters advertises femininity. In other words, seeing gay people does not make you gay. Sexual orientation is at least partially genetic (see, for example, studies showing that identical twins share the same orientation at a significantly higher rate than fraternal twins) and is really more of a spectrum than a hard binary.

Meanwhile, LGBT activists think this is what the future should be like. Homosexuality should be in most Children shows. Since its a matter of representation. To them the definition of "homophobic" is not refuse to have LGBT representation in Children Shows.
I think that it's important to show children an accurate representation of the society that they live in - which includes gay people. To say that gay characters shouldn't exist in children's shows simply because you think being gay is icky is, in fact, homophobic.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟973,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I find it interesting that marketing to homosexuals such as an ad depicting that homosexuals should bank at XYZ Bank is considered to be "promoting" anything other than banking. They're trying to obtain market share among a population segment, not conversion to a lifestyle.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟279,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,
What is the point of having "gays/homosexuals" at the forefront of a political movement?

I'm not talking about the "lifestyle" of this individuals, whenever or not what they are doing is moral or not although it might come off that way. What I'm trying to get at is why the "Current Establishment" needs to gays/lesbians everywhere. For instance, you can go to the bank and they'll have ads of homosexuals. I've seen young people today and they open an app for ordering food and they'll have that as well.

Because they play and frolick as if life were one big party, spend lots of money on shiny baubles, and croak without leaving any yucky children. In other words, they are model citizens of today's consumer society.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟622,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not upset, and I'm not sure what gave you that impression.

Having homosexual characters does not "advertise" homosexuality any more than having black characters advertises blackness or having female characters advertises femininity. In other words, seeing gay people does not make you gay. Sexual orientation is at least partially genetic (see, for example, studies showing that identical twins share the same orientation at a significantly higher rate than fraternal twins) and is really more of a spectrum than a hard binary.

I think that it's important to show children an accurate representation of the society that they live in - which includes gay people. To say that gay characters shouldn't exist in children's shows simply because you think being gay is icky is, in fact, homophobic.
The problem is that's its all a long ways from just homosexual. Now it's sexuality and gender is all fluid and blurry and indefinable. It's not really a matter of "making kids gay" as it is telling them there's no limit to what they are along those lines. It amounts to teaching pan-sexuality and pan-genderism.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟325,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem is that's its all a long ways from just homosexual. Now it's sexuality and gender is all fluid and blurry and indefinable. It's not really a matter of "making kids gay" as it is telling them there's no limit to what they are along those lines. It amounts to teaching pan-sexuality and pan-genderism.
Telling people that there's nothing wrong with being gay or trans - or pansexual or pangender, for that matter - doesn't teach anything other than tolerance.

For the record, being pansexual means that sex and gender identity aren't relevant to who you find attractive. It doesn't mean "sexually attracted to everything and everyone regardless of age or species". And pangenderism - feeling like you might be multiple or all genders at the same time - while a bit strange, is ultimately harmless on a societal level.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟247,869.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Telling people that there's nothing wrong with being gay or trans - or pansexual or pangender, for that matter - doesn't teach anything other than tolerance.

For the record, being pansexual means that sex and gender identity aren't relevant to who you find attractive. It doesn't mean "sexually attracted to everything and everyone regardless of age or species". And pangenderism - feeling like you might be multiple or all genders at the same time - while a bit strange, is ultimately harmless on a societal level.

We're all broken, we're all sinners, but we should speak the truth in love. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟872,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am interested in the opposite question: Why are homosexuals so important in the conservative era?

But, I suppose that is for a different thread.

They're an easy target for conservatives and focusing on them allows them to avoid other issues like caring for the poor, the immigrant, or just the living.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,276,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
They're an easy target for conservatives and focusing on them allows them to avoid other issues like caring for the poor, the immigrant, or just the living.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain..."

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone,
What is the point of having "gays/homosexuals" at the forefront of a political movement?

I'm not talking about the "lifestyle" of this individuals, whenever or not what they are doing is moral or not although it might come off that way. What I'm trying to get at is why the "Current Establishment" needs to gays/lesbians everywhere. For instance, you can go to the bank and they'll have ads of homosexuals. I've seen young people today and they open an app for ordering food and they'll have that as well.
Ephesians 2:2 2 Corinthians 4:4

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟279,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I am interested in the opposite question: Why are homosexuals so important in the conservative era?

The era decides what’s important. You can hardly ignore what’s continually shoved down your throat, and you can’t avoid an issue that won’t allow itself to be avoided.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟973,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You can hardly ignore what’s continually shoved down your throat, and you can’t avoid an issue that won’t allow itself to be avoided.

Actually, one can. Leastwise, I can. Homosexuality doesn't affect my life, my faith, my marriage, my job, my well-being, nor my peace of mind. I think old straight guys should spend their time sorting out old straight guy sins, and leave others to do likewise.

Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, one can. Leastwise, I can. Homosexuality doesn't affect my life, my faith, my marriage, my job, my well-being, nor my peace of mind. I think old straight guys should spend their time sorting out old straight guy sins, and leave others to do likewise.
ezekial 33:8

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It affects mine, if my grandchildren are being taught, with my tax money, that not only is LGBTQETC permissible, but normal and respectable, and even honored, and in fact, to be accepted as probably something they ought to consider for themselves —in fact, that it is preferable— and that saying things like I just said, should be outlawed.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟253,031.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

On the first sentence you are talking about a "political movement"
Next you talk about "Current Establishment" in the context of ads at the bank.

These are all very vague. Are you talking about the Democrat party? They don't run the adverts at the banks.

It is very confusing what you are talking about. Are you against gay marriage, or against gays partaking of PDA or against ads that have gay people in them????

I think many people are against having a Nanny state, and hence against policing against people being gay or getting married or being in ads.
Think small government, think having people with autonomy to live their lives how they choose.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟253,031.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I expect having a common enemy, a common battleground can bring the conservatives together and engage them and enable them and get them to take action, especially to get them off their couches and into the voting booths.

Upvote 0