Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My nesting is so far consisting of bringing as much life into the apartment as possible. So far I have set up a fish tank and purchased two African violet plants. I have been successful with African violets but other than that I have a brown thumb. Are there any recommendations for pretty house plants that I won't damage? I want an aloe for sure!

Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been successful with African violets but other than that I have a brown thumb. Are there any recommendations for pretty house plants that I won't damage?

Hello there BB, do you know chlorophytum sometimes known as the spider plant because of the plantlets that are produced at the end of arching stems. It needs a little bit more light than african violets but they are quite tough considering how light and graceful they look.
Good gardening (and birthing :))
><>
chlorophytum - Recherche Google

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Snake plant/Mother-in-law's tongue is pretty tough, and will accept a variety of light conditions. My problem is that mine is growing too fast, though they are not supposed to be particularly fast growers.

Aglaonema (sp?) - Chinese Evergreen - is also especially forgiving, but I don't see it for sale in as many options as I used to. I finally broke down a year ago and spent $10 for one in a self-watering pot (that's beyond my budget for house plants, but it's a favorite and I've looked for several years without success for a baby). But they are great and very easy.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟701,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What kind of plant is this?
IMG_1712.JPG

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A type of palm. I wonder if the leaf tips have been cut? If not, it should be easier to identify the exact type. Squared tips are not that common. But I've never grown one of them, and not sure if more than one kind exists.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It looks like the typical sort though - what's commonly called "parlour palm" (I will probably misremember the sp name if I try), but it looks like someone cut some tips square.

I've got a few of them.

They like humidity, and are prone to spider mites. Bright light if possible but not harsh direct sun. Water before the tips dry, which isn't much help. ;)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This might sound strange, but you know what I often do for watering? A spathyphyllum (peace Lilly) is very dramatic if it needs water. It droops a bit. I have often put a peace Lilly in the company of other plants that like a certain amount of water (especially ferns), and then the peace Lilly will droop just about the perfect time to water the others (a bit late for the peace Lilly, but it will recover).

I've kept a lot of plants - other than the poor peace Lilly - Happy this way.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can't really go wrong with african violets. They like water from the base of the pot in their saucers.

other house plants I have (I'm not very good with houseplants, so these are the survivors)

peace lily
venus fly trap
mother of millions
maidenhair fern
zygocactus

I'm also trialling in a hanging basket,

acalypha

I don't know if it has a general name but it's got fuzzy red catkins that look so cute hanging down

If you don't like watering too much and have a sunny spot try succulents. They make good pot plants.

Upvote 0