MJish, Marvel Comics & Paganism: Are the Old Ways being brought back via Comics?

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Easy G (G²);59593271 said:
Alot of believers are now choosing to simply abandon media in general..be it T.V or Internet or a host of other outlets. Can't say I blame em..

True, but we are not commanded to retreat and abandon until He returns, we ARE commanded to Occupy until He returns! The degradation (sp?) of media in the US is OUR fault.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
True, but we are not commanded to retreat and abandon until He returns, we ARE commanded to Occupy until He returns! The degradation (sp?) of media in the US is OUR fault.
Not certain how far that can play out, as the media was not an invention of believers nor is it something that many have even felt believers should be fighting to have control over...just as others feel that it's not Biblical to make our nation into a nation "under God"/theocracy when it's dominated by unbelievers and some things were not to be put together. The issue of "my kingdom is not of this world" comes to mind...

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
The whole idea of occupy is to take away and make yours, to serve you, or in this case, HaShem.
Not sure what we should be doing about the one thing that is stealing salvations more than anything ever has in the past? Not sure if we are supposed to use a technology that can bring the message of Truth morality and salvation to more people and more quickly than any tool in the past meaning fewer could be going to an eternal h*ll while waiting for one on one missionaries to arrive with the Gospel?
How could we be not sure? That is like saying we should not use pain killers, various surgical techniques and knowledge about how the nervous system works to save lives because the foundation for all that knowledge came from the inhumane experiments of Dr. Mengle.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The whole idea of occupy is to take away and make yours, to serve you, or in this case, HaShem.

Not sure what we should be doing about the one thing that is stealing salvations more than anything ever has in the past? Not sure if we are supposed to use a technology that can bring the message of Truth morality and salvation to more people and more quickly than any tool in the past meaning fewer could be going to an eternal h*ll while waiting for one on one missionaries to arrive with the Gospel?

How could we be not sure? That is like saying we should not use pain killers, various surgical techniques and knowledge about how the nervous system works to save lives because the foundation for all that knowledge came from the inhumane experiments of Dr. Mengle
No one said anything about not using technology to glorify the Lord despite how the culture uses it. Otherwise, none of us would be posting here or using any kind of media (i.e. T.V, Movies, Christian music stations/IPOD, Internet, etc);)

The issue that was noted was when others assume the culture is failing because of believers not rising up/doing their part..for that is something which often seems based more so on a false scenario.....

I can understand the strong inclination toward thinking that the mission of Christ's Church, and our own personal mission, should be that of transforming the world/society into one that is more just and more loving, more akin to a utopian world. But I also feel we mustn't allow ourselves to be deceived into feeling that bad things happen in the world due to a failure of Christianity. That is like saying that Jesus Christ was crucified because He failed to publicly communicate His truth effectively.

To give more information/clarity, it has been rather interesting to see the ways that others have chosen to get involved in the struggles they see around them since they are the Hands/Feet of the Lord in this world..and knowing where the boundaries are for not getting too caught up in this world make a difference.

If a church is within an area, should it necessarily be responsible for whether or not a society improves? And in the instances when improvement does occur, does that necessarily mean that all places where the Church is should follow suit?

Something one of my brothers in Christ noted to me once:
Ultimately, it's the individual true believers that have permanence, while societies are under constant change. The world resists us and will always resist us to the end. Nevertheless, I don't think a single good work has been wasted and our rewards are where no damage can be done to them. We drill a well, providing water for a village. They are blessed for a time. A few believe, while more pretend but most tolerate. Then they forget us or find us tiring and we are expelled. Such is life with us in this world - it hates us because it first hated Christ. But it was not a waste to drill the well. Doing good is never a waste. So, we keep on doing good. Some good lasts longer than others. It doesn't matter tho - our source is God.
Within those societies are people who continue on. It's like we sweep thru, grab the true believers and move on. Another generation will sweep thru again and mop up any stragglers. But there's never been the hint of a permanent encampment for Christ here on Earth of this world..... We coalesce for a bit, then we spread out carrying the blessing with us. Then others coalesce for a bit, then they spread out. Sometimes they are scattered by events and governments - but it doesn't matter - we're meant to continue spreading out carrying the blessing with us to all who would receive. Our home isn't here. It's not in some Christian commune. Our residence is where we have the greatest contact with the lost. Our home is in the Kingdom.
According to 1 Peter 1:16-18, 1 Peter 2:10-12 / and Hebrews 11:12-14 , we're meant to be as Sojourners/Soldiers traveling through rather than setting up camp in a world they weren't meant to belong to...and anything that occurs along the way to benefit society at large is a blessing--but it can never be fully replicated by the world.

Perhaps a good way of seeing it is like previews. When a society does well because of the Gospel of Christ infiltrating it (i.e. schools are built, wells dug, reforms, etc), it is not something to be taken to mean that Utopia is allowed to come fully to Earth. Rather, it is a mere demonstration of what was meant to be---and what will be FULLY once Christ comes back. What we do in the ways we change our world is akin to "Previews" like they do in the movies with upcoming films. You see glimpses of what's to come, before actually sitting through the entire setting later.

And with believers, I'm thankful others are allowed to see what is or isn't right based on the work of Christ---and how it is meant to change. How others outside of Christ respond to that is on them...but many times, it does seem the Lord allows His people to change things to a point while still giving the world the freedom to either be benefited by that---or turn against it. And as often happens because of the nature of man, righteousness can be hated at certain points and cause upheavel/destruction.

That is what seems to be the case in Revelation when seeing the ways the the believers/church were mistreated, as the text doesn't seem to discuss anything of previous times the world wasn't benefited by those who were believers changing things. What occurred is that at some point, unbelievers chose en masse to resist the work of the Lord in His people/the benefits coming from it----and chose to rise up. At that point, when it's so severe that there's the threat of all believers being wiped out globally, Christ will return to shut it down---and the Film dubbed "Eternity" will begin.

As you follow the Gospel through the Middle East, Europe, Russia, the US into S. America, Asia and China and many other places - you can watch throughout history how nations were transformed... and then de-evolved if they gave up His gospel. The Middle East was a beacon of invention and sound gov't prior to the rise of Islam/suppressing Christianity...and it was only when Christianity was outlawed that many of them reverted advancement wise.

Russia experinced something similar under communism when many (in the name of communism) were trying to shut down all things related to the Gospel/Church while saying they wished to look out for their fellow man.

The Scientific Revolution is another, as most of the great minds behind it (i.e. Newton, for example) were Christians/believers in God who looked for Divine Laws in nature since they believed in a Divine Law Maker/a Messiah who held it all together. But once the Enlightenment begun, man began to try recognizing the works of God without God (i.e. Methodological Naturalism )and trusted in themselves...with ALOT of advancements being used wrongly.

When Christianity gets a foot hold and begins to build schools, dig wells, finance orphanges, love the individual enough that individuals change their values. They begin to desire His ways...then nations change...and there is kingdom now....not by our standards. Christ has never forced Himself on an individual or a nation.... it must be by the Holy Spirit's leading and conviction that nations lay down their carnal weapons.

It has historically been believers who've often transformed the course of history--and many of them doing so because of their belief in their actions/the quality thereof being of importance when responding to the work of Christ.

Because of the love Christ has shown us, we who've been transformed by it are to go out/get to work. It is much easier to let the world go to hell in a hand basket then engaging it with Calvary type love. It is much easier to look at homosexuals with AIDS and say “this is God’s judgment” than to put our arms around them and love them. It is much easier to ignore the rapid decline of our environment than it is to march hand in hand with “tree lovers”/show what Bibilical Creation care is about. It is much easier to say “we will be raptured away from it all, so prepare yourself for the next kingdom” while ignoring the world around us. Why care about child slavery? Why care about Darfur? Why care about world hunger? It is funny that Jesus came to reverse the curse of the fall while we not only avoid assisting Him, we actually applaud such destruction and pain in the name of God’s judgment...or saying we don't wish to devalue His grace by placing the focus upon our actions.

As Greg Boyd said in "The Myth of a Christian Nation":
"... the reason God now calls kingdom people to remain separate from the ways of the kingdom-of-the-world is not to isolate them from their culture but to empower them to authentically, serve their culture and ultimately win it over to allegiance to Jesus Christ. The reason we are not to be of the world is so we may be for the world

This point is especially important today, for a significant portion of evangelical Christianity has come under the influence of an escapist apocalyptic theology. Believing Jesus will soon “rapture” Christians out of the world before destroying it, they have little concern with the church being a witness on issues of social justice, global peace, the environment, and so on. To the contrary, in the name of fulfilling biblical prophecy, many are actively supporting stances that directly or indirectly encourage violence, possibly on a global scale (of instance, extremist Christian Zionism). Since the world is doomed for soon destruction, the thinking goes, the only thing that matters is getting individuals ready for the rapture.

Whatever else one thinks about the New Testament’s eschatology, it certainly does not encourage this sort of irresponsible escapism. The hope offered to believers is not that we will be a peculiar elite group of people who will escape out of the world, leaving others behind to experience the wrath of God. The hope is rather that by our sacrificial participation in the ever-expanding kingdom, the whole creation will be redeemed (Rom. 8:20-23; Col 1:18-20)"

Spot on, IMHO---and I think it really speaks to how one's worldview does make a significant difference in how they approach life. For there are many social justice activist/leaders who do as they do because they believe Jesus is soon to return--and they wish to be found faithful in what they're doing (Luke 12:36-38 , Matthew 24:45-47, etc).

... Just as the believers impacted their culture for the Lord in the times they lived here, even though they knew their ultimate destination was the world to come, so it is to be with us when it comes to the Gospel. I'm thankful for others fighting against the issue of abortion in getting involved with adoption/services helping single mothers.

I'm thankful for others moving into urban communities that are destitute and transforming them into thriving areas in the name of Jesus. I'm astounded by others who were fighting against the abuse of children (like George Muller or John Wesley) because of the Gospel--with us still feeling the effects of their actions today by what they did in the reforms/movements they began. And I'm very grateful for other believers fighting against depression/hopelessness by getting involved working with young adults in the prision systems.....

There are many other examples besides this---with comics/media being another example to consider when it comes to believers going into those avenues and trying to transform them for the glory of the Lord----but all of that is to say, like Martin Luther King said best in one of his speeches, that "the minister of God cannot preach about the glories of Heaven and ignore the realities that cause men an Earthly Hell."

And as Dr.King also said in-depth on how we should make a difference (more discussed here ) when it came to the call to be like Good Samaritans (Luke 10:25-39) in our love for others/in service to God...as seen in his speech, entitled “Beyond Vietnam — A Time to Break Silence”:
A true revolution of values will soon cause us to question the fairness and justice of many of our past and present policies. On the one hand, we are called to play the Good Samaritan on life’s roadside, but that will be only an initial act. One day we must come to see that the whole Jericho Road must be transformed so that men and women will not be constantly beaten and robbed as they make their journey on life’s highway. True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar. It comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring.

Traveling through doesn't mean, IMHO, that one can't leave a trail behind to follow that leaves life.

Psalm 84:5 always comes to mind:
5 Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
6 As they pass through the Valley of Baka,
they make it a place of springs;
the autumn rains also cover it with pools.

7 They go from strength to strength,
till each appears before God in Zion.
There are others alongside the many other scriptures on being salt/light and being ready for every kind of good deed so that believers may win the respect of outsiders and live out what it means to be a Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-39).

Within the world of comics, redeeming the culture of that world would also be connected to the "salt and light" dynamic...but it isn't something we should be attached to as if it's upon us to make certain it won't go downhill---as that may not be our calling as it is with other things.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

G, good thread. I don't have much input myself, but I did like the Superfriends, Fantastic 4, X-men, Superman, Justice League Batman, Supergirl, Spiderman (and his amaaaaaaazing friends!), and Wonder Woman. I grew up with all of them! I didn't read the comics so much, but I know the basic story behind them up to the 80s timeline, and many of the older films and serials, as well as radio shows. I even watched the old Wonder Woman series and was holding out hope for the new one that was supposed to air last year in the US. I saw where a lot of it was going in the 90s and did not like it, and have off and on followed via news outlets what the new mass upset is over the Marvel and DC comics world.

I have to say though, I really like how Stan Lee has been handling the new film versions and his absolutely awesome cameos. I always look for him and other "easter eggs" when we get to watch the newest film. I haven't seen the new Thor though. I'd heard it was good.

As far as opposing world views and such, it didn't seem so much a theme in the 60s-80s comics my dad had... I mean, for sure - Wonder Woman was an amazon and they worshiped the Greek gods/goddesses... but it wasn't really put in there like "I'm ok, you're ok" - just that it was how it was. I never really over-analyzed it.

Other fiction and such - yeah, the other worldviews are pushed in, prodded in, and even promoted in a way that makes it seem like they're all just another path to G-d.

Aniello, you are right - Stalin was also known as "the man of steel". BBC4 had a documentary on him covering the year 1941. It was rather enlightening and covered parts of history my social sciences and history books failed in covering. I knew some of it due to the way my dad was so thorough with things. (see here) You may be able to find it somewhere? Maybe BBC America would carry it?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
G, good thread. I don't have much input myself, but I did like the Superfriends, Fantastic 4, X-men, Superman, Justice League Batman, Supergirl, Spiderman (and his amaaaaaaazing friends!), and Wonder Woman. I grew up with all of them!
Cool to know:D

With others you mentioned, although I loved the Justice League (Especially in the new animated incarnation as well as the comic series), Batman will always be the one who stood out among them the most..for he was the brains of the movement. They did a recent revamp with Supergirl that I really enjoyed years back, as seen here and here. Wonder Woman grew on me in time, as I enjoyed seeing some of the ways they utilized her with her powers...although it was always bothersome to see the heavy discussion of her being empowered by the Greek Gods whom played a part in her development (as did the Amazon Warriors)

By far, X-Men seemed to be the most relevant series I grew up with. Everytime I saw it, it reminded me of issues of discrimination/racial injustice and the dangers of what happens when one becomes a reverse-racist as opposed to seeking peace. Their characters always seemed to have depth.......especially as it concerns the relationship between Eric and Charles. What fascinated me more so than anything else was how much it seemed very much like a reflection between the struggle for being proud of one's ethnicity and knowing how to address that. Wasn't surprising to see that whenever the battles between Charles (Professor X) and Eric (Magneto)/their respective sides would come up, in light of how the background of X-Men developed during the Civil Rights era and the days of Martin Luther King and Malcom X---one side for integration and the other for segration, one side feeling like differing groups could work together and another side feeling as if it could never work. Many are not aware of how comic book creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby had indeed come up with the X-Men concept while following the Civil Rights and Black Power Movements of 1960s that unfolded daily on their television screens.

Moreover, it turns out that the authors of the X-Men series were Jewish men (more shared here and here and here)---originally hiding their Jewish heritage by changing their names so that they could introduce ideas into a populace that initially would not have cared/taken it easy if hearing from people that they already hated since ALOT of anti-semitism existed at the time. It made a difference for Stan Lee to change his original name of 'Stanley Martin Lieber'..and for Kirby to change his name from Kurtzberg. For Kirby, one of his reasons was that he wanted originally to be able to sell his work to a number of different publishers at once under different names. For to make a series explicitly on the struggles of Blacks/Jews in the 1960-1970s would be no small task. They were two white men who decided to tackle the oft-neglected problems of racism in America through the pages of fiction and symbolism (being certain in the racially charged 1960s to even use all white characters).

For more, an excellent article on such can be found under the name of Black Politics, X-Men, White Minds 05/08/2003.
xmenteam1.jpg

xmenteam2.jpg

Being a person of color (Black Hispanic), the film franchise of X-Men was always the saga I could relate to the most out of all other comic books since it so touched upon REAL life issues/themes that always hit home for me growing up and seeing it in action. Moreover, the series seemed to always boast more individual heros who happened to be blacks (i.e. Storm, Bishop, etc)---with the mutant struggle echoing/sharpening the battles they experiences that blacks already had with being discriminated against in society. With other comics, it seemed like there were not alot of black superheros at...and they've just recently tried to address it. Some have noted how many black superheros were never discussed explictly within comics due to how others would use differing colors to represent minorities, such as discussed by one kat when sharing how green/different colored people can sometimes translate as “ethnic”..seen best in her article entitledGreen=ethnic, part 2: A better defense. There are others who've sought to address the issue in discussing the history of black supeheros/sharing where many are hidden while others are being reimagined..such as others like "Green Lantern" being made into a black version in recent comics and others. One excellent resource is found under the name of "BlackSuperhero.com" One brother actually tried to speak in-depth on the subject, as seen here:

I have to say though, I really like how Stan Lee has been handling the new film versions and his absolutely awesome cameos. I always look for him and other "easter eggs" when we get to watch the newest film. I haven't seen the new Thor though. I'd heard it was good.
Stan Lee's appearances have been a trip, though you know he must be having a good time. For him, having films made out of the comics he has made must be a dream come true....and I'm always amazed to see how the mythology of comics has become so apart of the fabric of human culture when certain heros represent certain things universally. On Thor, the film was entertaining--and it was also a treat seeing some of the ways that characters were dressed/designed, as the fashion styles were wild. I wouldn't have any issue walking around with the kind of robe that Odin was wearing...and there are others who actually had discussions on ways to make fashion styles off of what they showed in the "Thor" film as well as reviewing it (as seen here ) :) The characters were enjoyable and I thought it had alot of points to offer in regards to discussing how many things in supernatural accounts are not to be dismissed as being beyond explanation.

As far as opposing world views and such, it didn't seem so much a theme in the 60s-80s comics my dad had... I mean, for sure - Wonder Woman was an amazon and they worshiped the Greek gods/goddesses... but it wasn't really put in there like "I'm ok, you're ok" - just that it was how it was. I never really over-analyzed it.
That's real. I guess it's the battle of knowing how to realize something as it is and discern when it's a matter of pushing an agenda. As one of my friends said on the issue:
If someone said they were going to destroy the archetypal love story or hero myth they would certainly have a lot of work ahead of them lol. Even in the Christian medieval period the stories continued to be told under the names of mythologized saints.
It depends on the comic. And it depends on whether or not the story presents itself as fiction or fiction inspired by truth, like some pagan Da Vinci Code sort of work. I notice some of the stuff in comics that are positive too. I'm Catholic and if you recall in X-Men 2, the character Nightcrawler prays the Rosary and says the Our Father when in peril. In the recent X-Men: First Class, the character Banshee crosses himself prior to taking his first flight. So those are positive influences favorable to Christianity. Stuff based on old mythology doesn't bother me per se. Just as St. Paul praised the Greek poets for the truth they had, some ancient mythologies sometimes depicted with some truth the concept of good versus evil, or a singular master deity, or some other such parallel to divine revelation in Christianity. After all, God did reveal Himself through nature and other ways even to Gentiles prior to Christ, according even to Scripture! (Rom 1:19ff)
Although things with comics used to be alot more innocent and not worth looking into too deeply, ALOT of things in the comics seem to be radically different than they were before, though...as there's alot more gore and outright sex scenes/cleavege and skimpy dressing in the comic books, from Batman to Superman and others. Alot of it was one of the reasons I ended up giving away the collection I had had for decades since I got tired of trying to enjoy the comics and being increasingly aware that there was way too much sexualization within them alongside other things.
Other fiction and such - yeah, the other worldviews are pushed in, prodded in, and even promoted in a way that makes it seem like they're all just another path to G-d.
Sad but true. How we're to respond to that is something I wonder on..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
If you are interested in fiction with G-dly worldview check out this science fiction series: Everything that Stands: Late Earth Chronicle Trilogy by Isaac Israel. The publisher page states "The first three Chronicles in the Late-Earth Chronicles series: THE STORM, VALLEY OF THE SHADOW and MACHINES OF LOVING GRACE, now newly revised and together in one volume! Three retro science fiction, end-time page-turners with powerful Messianic themes." You can see them at Isaac Israel's Books and Publications Spotlight.
Just know they are not at all like Left Behind. There is a fourth in the series called Thy Kingdom Come that was very fun to read.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you are interested in fiction with G-dly worldview check out this science fiction series: Everything that Stands: Late Earth Chronicle Trilogy by Isaac Israel. The publisher page states "The first three Chronicles in the Late-Earth Chronicles series: THE STORM, VALLEY OF THE SHADOW and MACHINES OF LOVING GRACE, now newly revised and together in one volume! Three retro science fiction, end-time page-turners with powerful Messianic themes." You can see them at Isaac Israel's Books and Publications Spotlight..
Interesting to consider. May check it out when I have time..
Just know they are not at all like Left Behind. There is a fourth in the series called Thy Kingdom Come that was very fun to read
I actually enjoyed the Left Behind series, but good to know the one you're talking about isn't the same. Thanks for the recommendation:)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
From what you noted here, I'm guessing it'd be safe to say you'd not be bothered by discussion of heros being created by/serving other gods and goddesses....correct? If not, let me know..

- Stalin was also known as "the man of steel". BBC4 had a documentary on him covering the year 1941. It was rather enlightening and covered parts of history my social sciences and history books failed in covering. I knew some of it due to the way my dad was so thorough with things. (see here) You may be able to find it somewhere? Maybe BBC America would carry it?
Amazing work that BBC4 made, among many other things they consistently come out with alongside PBS, which actually made some good research on the history of comics as a form of social commentary/protest (seen here /here , here, here and here)...and thanks for sharing what your dad noted:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

Hey G, only got a minute here, but I did want to say this.

I don't have a problem when it's contextualized - say we know WW is from Greece and the Amazon tribes, and the whole back story. She never pushes her faith, or makes a call that people convert or anything.

To me, it's like there just one house or two over, someone might be Muslim, Yazidi, or follow another faith. That's their life, and while we reach out, we can't force people to believe differently. As long as they're well integrated, not breaking laws, speak the language (or are learning), and are nice neighbors, I'm ok with that. I just continue to reach out and be a good neighbor. :)

Comics are fiction, and a mode of freedom of speech and religion. I'd love to see it if people who were believers really put themselves out there and made a niche for themselves. It's been a long time since the Bible was put out in comic form in a way people wouldn't die laughing at. ;)

Now if it was more like WW was out handing out tracts and every time she helped someone she fist pumped and "go Hera!" or offered sacrifices and such, I'd have a problem with that. The one set of comics I had years ago where it did reference her going back home to the tribal leaders, she basically had a sorority-type thing she had to do and that was it.

I never was really big into Thor or anything, just the people who were either obviously aliens, mutants or super strong folk. Captain America for example. If you remember, in the 70s and 80s there was a wonder woman show. I liked that one, but probably had a lot go over my head due to my age. That was the age of Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers and "V - The Visitors".

I really did/do appreciate the whole X-men story line - but some of those comics have definitely gotten really racy and far away from kid/teen friendly. It's not like we have a deliniation like Manga does, where there are things for certain age groups of kids, also by whether they're boys or girls (or both genders), or for teens or adults - so you have a better gauge of what is in there before you take that little slip covered baby home to check out. :sorry: :doh:

For a while I read the Archies, Betty and Veronica and Jughead, but they really bothered me. I mean who wants to read about a vain character that never ever improves, a girl that's gold to the core who is never recognised for it, a boy who can't make up his mind who he wants to date/marry, and Jughead or Moose who waver between neglecting their girlfriend or outright abuse. :( I left those behind in the 90s, and cannot believe where they've gone now with the story line (LGBT friendly, among other things). I doubt the original authors would ever approve.

Anyway... I digress.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't have a problem when it's contextualized - say we know WW is from Greece and the Amazon tribes, and the whole back story. She never pushes her faith, or makes a call that people convert or anything.

Comics are fiction, and a mode of freedom of speech and religion. I'd love to see it if people who were believers really put themselves out there and made a niche for themselves. It's been a long time since the Bible was put out in comic form in a way people wouldn't die laughing at. ;)

Now if it was more like WW was out handing out tracts and every time she helped someone she fist pumped and "go Hera!" or offered sacrifices and such, I'd have a problem with that. The one set of comics I had years ago where it did reference her going back home to the tribal leaders, she basically had a sorority-type thing she had to do and that was it.
I can understand where you're coming from. I guess alot of it can come down to what others may define as "pushing" their faith..for one may not be seeking to convert others aggressively even though they do make room for platforms of spreading their views/making them known, with the comic series of Wonder Woman showing the Amazon tribes worshipping their gods and Wonder Woman giving thanks to them. For a good resource detailing the ways Wonder Woman's religion shows up:

As they said best:
Since this influential comic book super hero character was first created by polygamist feminist psychologist William Moulton Marston in 1941, Wonder Woman's origins and continuing storylines have been tied intricately to Greco-Roman mythology. The ancient Greek and Roman pantheon consisting of Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades, Athena, etc. have always been rendered as explicitly real in Wonder Woman's universe. This pantheon is also known as the Olympians, or the gods of Olympus, named after Mount Olympus, the mountain in Greece which was until recently their home.

The Amazon civilization into which Wonder Woman was born (or sculpted, technically) was created by these Greek gods, and Wonder Woman's powers derive from them. The Amazons of lived on the island of Themyscira, which was, until recently in DC Comics continuity, located in the Atlantic Ocean.

Wonder Woman could be said to be a "pagan" in the word's contemporary religious sense, although this does not appear to be a word she regularly applies to herself. Religious ritual and worship of the Greek gods is explicitly a part of the Amazon culture where Princess Diana was raised. While in her native Themyscira, Diana daily went to the Olympian temple and gave thanks before statues of the Olympian gods. She has also met these gods in person, and sometimes battled the less benevolent among them (such as Ares, the god of War, and Zeus's son, the demigod Heracles). Given Diana's firsthand experience with the Olympian gods, it would make little sense for her to not believe in these Olympian gods. One could conclude that Diana has little choice but to be a Greco-Roman classical religionist. Whatever the degree to which Diana has free will in the matter, she has enthusiastically and consciously embraced her role not only as a heroine, but also as the Themysciran ambassador to the world and as the Olympian gods' representative to mortal humanity.

WonderWoman_3.jpg

Princess Diana (Wonder Woman) was killed once by the demon Neron and the evil Dr. Doris Zeul. From: Beatty, page 31:
While the JLA [Justice Leage of America] and the rest of Diana's extended family were numb with grief, Hippolyta [Diana's mother] refused to lose faith in miracles. The woman who had once prayed toher gods to breathe life into a clay doll beseeched the godess Hera to restore Diana. And with a flash of golden fire, Wonder Woman was reborn!
For Hera, the simplest way to resurrect Diana was to turn her into a goddess. Diana became the Goddess of Truth and took her rightful place on Mount Olympus. For a time, Hippolyta assumed the mantle of Wonder Woman. Soon, however, Diana came to feel that her true place was on Earth. Without regret, she returned to the mortal plane so that the one true Wonder Woman might continue her quest for peace.

WonderWoman_5.jpg

ABOVE: Hippolyta prays to Hera for the life of Diana (Wonder Woman).
..........When the Crisis on Infinite Earths cross-over event shook up the DC Universe in 1985, it was established that Wonder Woman had never previously been introduced to the world at large before that time. Yet the legend of Wonder Woman was not entirely purged from DC history. Although Princess Diana's introduction to "Man's World" was pushed forward in time to become a contemporary event, it was retroactively established that Wonder Woman had indeed fought alongside the Justice Society of America during World War II - it was simply a different Wonder Woman. Current official DC history has established that Queen Hippolyta herself ventured away from Paradise Island as the superheroine named Wonder Woman. Princess Diana later took up the mantle of Wonder Woman, basing her costume on the one worn in previous decades by her mother.

WonderWoman_6.jpg
More was said besides that in the link discussing Wonder Woman's religion...as there were other superheros who were also followers of the Greek gods in both Marvel and D.C--and for more one can go here to Famous Greco-Roman classical religionists in Comics

With the pumping fists/saying "go Hera", I have seen her frequently in the comic book world reference Hera in terms of prayer for others...or exclamation of certain things when she invokes the name of her gods by saying "Hera help him" or "Great Hera" or seeks to praise them actively:

justice-wonder-woman7.jpg

Additionally, in a recent version of the comic book series called "Amazons Attack" (as seen here, here , here , and here), the Amazons went to war with mankind--in the name of their gods. When a missile was coming to one area/endangering others, WonderWoman unhooked her lasso and prayed to Athena to guide the missile somewhere safe, away from the island, but she has guided it towards the island. Wonder Woman was using all her might to stop it, but was unsuccessful. She reached behind the missile to break its cords but they regenerated like curling snakes.

She then cried out and questions why Athena was doing such a thing to her. Wonder Woman found that she had no other choice but to put herself between the island and the missile. An explosion happened, but Wonder Woman finds that she is still alive, and the island is still there. It was Athena in her physical form that stopped the missile. Wonder Woman apologised for being angry towards her and thanks Athena for stopping the missile. Athena asked why Wonder Woman was so angry towards the Gods. Wonder Woman replied that she was angry because she wondered why the Gods didn't stop the Amazons from attack Washington DC. She added that Athena could have easily stopped it all from happening with her hand, just like she stopped the missile with her hand.

But Athena replied, "... but you seem to have forgotten, or perhaps chosen to ignore... that I am also the Goddess of War... and the Goddess of Strategy..."
She wraps her hand around Wonder Woman, who is so small compared to Athena and says, "... and it is for me and me alone to say how and when and why I wave my 'mighty hand'!"

amazons-attack-pfeifer-woods.jpg

ww11p1.JPG

ww11p4.JPG

ww11p5.JPG

1657481-wonder_woman_amazons_attack.42_super.jpg

Seeing the religion of Wonder Woman and the ways her "gods" frequently interact with her/give the impression that they're to be worshipped is hard to get past, IMHO...but as long as they're not saying Christians don't have the freedom to do as they please.

Some of it, is similar to what occurred when Christianity became legal in the Roman Empire and other empires had similar dynamics, with it being the case that others were not trying to take away the right of others to practice/believe/declare their religious views as they wish....but more so about letting others do as they do so long as belief in God/Jesus was dominant while the believers had freedom to do as they wished. By default, anyone practicing a religion other than one devoted to Christ "pushes" their view, be it in passive ways or aggressive, since their choosing not to follow Christ places them in the category of saying that he's somehow wrong/not worth following....but there's a way to go about it thankfully when it comes to living alongside others worshipping other gods just as we live alongside people in our neighborhoods down the street---all of whom have differing beliefs, interesting perspectives and stories to tell of how they see the world. Hearing of it should not always be a threat to believers...:)

In other instances, people weren't concerned with having the dominant platform for Christ. One can see this when examining Christianity in the east. In most places, unlike in Europe, it established itself as a minority faith alongside more dominant religions. Many believers who were eventually exiled from the Eastern side of the Roman Empire (later Constantinople ) had differing experiences that parallel this...for when many of the councils were set up to determine what was "Orthodox" Christianity, those deemed to be herectics were kicked out. Others such as Nestorious were exiled to a monastery in the desert of his enemies. Consequently, the Syriac church has been called Nestorian to this day. The Christian historical scholar known as Philip Jenkins gave a more in-depth review on the issue of Christianity within the world of those who were within the "unorthodox" camps and showed how they spread the Gospel.....seeking instead to live alongside people of differing beliefs systems rather than try to make them second-class/not allowed to promote what they believe. Whereas in the West power was sought via the State/government, those who were Eastern Christians amongst the Monguls didn't try to do such. ..they were able to go about their mission of the Gospel, even reaching as far as Japan CENTURIES before anything of Catholicism/Protestanism happened there and preseting the Gospel while greatly contributing to the development of Japanese society (as discussed here, here, here, here, and here). I was very thankful for how Jenkins noted that whereas the conversion of Europe always had the inertia and legacy of the conversion of the Roman Empire behind it, Nestorian and Jacobite Christianity never quite managed to convert a powerful political elite and reap the evangelical rewards of doing so, though Nestorianism came close with the Mongols.

Those Christians in the East never sought to abolish the rights of others to pronounce expression to other gods...and for more on what Philip Jenkins noted in his book "The Lost History of Christianity", one can go either here to #4 #62 / #232 or here to Armarium Magnum: The Lost History of Christianity by Philip Jenkins. .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hey G, only got a minute here, but I did want to say this.

To me, it's like there just one house or two over, someone might be Muslim, Yazidi, or follow another faith. That's their life, and while we reach out, we can't force people to believe differently. As long as they're well integrated, not breaking laws, speak the language (or are learning), and are nice neighbors, I'm ok with that. I just continue to reach out and be a good neighbor. :)
How we live and what we choose to speak of (be it verbally or non-verbally) is the best apologetic others have for what they believe...and convincing others to believe in it. With comics, there is the dynamic of how even hearing of stories affect people in small ways of becoming more open to deeper realities a story may hint at--and within the realm of comics, others may be allowed to share their views just as the neighbors down the street are able to do with their own....but even with story-telling/folklore and tall tales, there's a dynamic that can occur where it is a small way of attempting to prepare people to handle deeper realities that those folktales are based in, just as believers have had folktales/stories with Christian themes in them which opened people up.

I like your neighbor analogy and thanks for sharing it:thumbsup:. If I may expand on it, I'd add that there's not even anything wrong with appreciating certain aspects that a neighbor may offer even though they disagree with what you do, as it's not the case that believers cannot learn some things from people in differing places. We simply have to be discerning on what we choose to learn/utilize, be it within the world of comics or media or technology and other venues.
Comics are fiction, and a mode of freedom of speech and religion
One of the most powerful forms of speech/religion in existence, seeing how it has literally shaped the minds of entire generations....and echoed the mindset of a culture that loves to have heros.

There's actually a movement of people that've chosen to become superheros/fight crime in light of what they witnessed in comics. If you look up a man by the name of Phoenix Jones, you'll see what I'm speaking of:

First time I saw it, didn't believe it myself....:unbelievable:and you couldn't help but think "For real, folks??!" :doh::scratch:..but seeing it firsthand, I was dumbfounded folks literally have been so inspired by the comic book heros they've seen that they've decided to become villigantes

Definately gotta lift those guys up:prayer:, as some may be playing around...but alot of them are dead serious with what they do. At least they're inspired to do something about what they see....

I never was really big into Thor or anything, just the people who were either obviously aliens, mutants or super strong folk.
Feeling that. I just recently became intrigued by Thor, as I used to not care for him. My main focus was always those who were mutants---or folks like Batman and Spiderman..
Captain America for example.
Just got turned on more so to Captain America after seeing the film recently...another one of Marvel's best, perhaps the best I've seen on comic book heros in a LONG time. Really liked the action and the focus on what was a bit more believable with U.S Heros..and alot of good reviews were given to it by many prominent Christian ministries that are very big about having discernment in the media. I wasn't against him growing up, but I was just not interested as much as with others. I was glad for how they tried to use the series to touch on political issues--including ones close to home for minorities such as scientific experimentation with soldiers, as the comic series did note how they tested the early "Super Soldider" formula on black soldiers in the same way that black men were experimented on in notorious government projects later exposed. For more, one can go here or here. The man who was the Black Captain American was known as Isaiah Bradley--a man who later became mentally handicapped due to the formula not being perfected as it was with Steve Rogers--and the clandestine experimentation that empowered Isaiah held similarities with the Tuskegee Syphilis Study. Not expecting a film to be made on that story anytime soon, of course...as that may be a bit too much for some folks to handle who have a bit of a revisionist perspective with the American Dream always being perfect for everybody..

With the new "Captain America" film, personally, I thought his character in that film/other comic incarnations was alot better than differing versions since it seemed far more realistic/combat oriented...and although I'm looking forward to the new "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Hero's" film coming up, his costume didn't seem to stand out:

If you remember, in the 70s and 80s there was a wonder woman show.
I remember it. Didn't really like it that much, as it was boring (IMHO) and not quite as good as the animated versions.
I liked that one, but probably had a lot go over my head due to my age. That was the age of Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers and "V - The Visitors".
Hated Battlestar Galactia..although Buck Rogers was alright alongside "V"

I really did/do appreciate the whole X-men story line - but some of those comics have definitely gotten really racy and far away from kid/teen friendly. It's not like we have a deliniation like Manga does, where there are things for certain age groups of kids, also by whether they're boys or girls (or both genders), or for teens or adults - so you have a better gauge of what is in there before you take that little slip covered baby home to check out. :sorry: :doh:
Nowadays, it's getting to the point where you may need to actually have rating systems with the comics--and that's sad, as there was once a time when the art was art rather than a depiction of what you'd see in Soap Operas..

I don't really read much nowadays for those reasons as it's too much danger in regards to guarding your eyes. And that can be saddening at times when considering the ways that many of the comic book characters authors fuse in heavy sexuality were once simply COMPLEX Characters. In example, with X-Men, Wolverine will always stand out to me in the way his religious views have gone through so much transformation as a mutant/one being tormented for decades on a host of issues....and when seeing the way he interacts with God, it is always a trip---as seen here. In the animated version of X-Men back in the 90s, I was shocked seeing the ways that they took what was in the comics and brought it to life when showing Nightcrawler (a Devout Catholic) helping Wolverine come to terms with faith in the Lord--and reconcilliation despite their sins:

For a while I read the Archies, Betty and Veronica and Jughead, but they really bothered me. I mean who wants to read about a vain character that never ever improves, a girl that's gold to the core who is never recognised for it, a boy who can't make up his mind who he wants to date/marry, and Jughead or Moose who waver between neglecting their girlfriend or outright abuse. :(
People still love the series somehow..
I left those behind in the 90s, and cannot believe where they've gone now with the story line (LGBT friendly, among other things). I doubt the original authors would ever approve.
It's often the case that the new authors always intentionally take things far away from original intent/mar the image of what something meant..

Anyway... I digress.
You're all good, in my book at least:):cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

If you've never heard of the series known as "Archangels" (as one can go here for more), I'd HIGHLY recommend it with a quickness. Came across it when I was around 12-13yrs of age at the Christian Bookstore...loving the world of comics and having family that shared the same passion/were amazing artists and yet we felt as if there was no way for believers to have comics with a Biblical perspective that would give people the opportunity to use art to the glory of the Lord ( (more discussed here, concerning those gifted by the Lord/Spirit in the arts like Exodus 31:2-4 and other places discuss).....and I loved it, as it gave me inspiration on how believers can utilize comics for Christ.

Additionally, they've actually made the Bible in Magna form and comic form as well. For more, one can go here or look up here something known as The Action Bible...

Actually bought one for a kid years ago and really enjoyed the quality of work, as well as keeping within the scriptures...and I was also able to get a comic book version of SAmson that was AMAZING (as one can go here for more):cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Comics are fiction, and a mode of freedom of speech and religion. I'd love to see it if people who were believers really put themselves out there and made a niche for themselves. It's been a long time since the Bible was put out in comic form in a way people wouldn't die laughing at. ;).
Thought you'd like this, in regards to how it may be the case that people often have to see the Jewish/Biblical aspects of moder-day comic book heros in the event that there are little available in Christian comics.

It's called "Up Up and Oy Vey! How Jewish History Culture and Values Shaped The Comicbook Superhero" ...and there have been alot of people who've greatly enjoyed it. The organization of AISH.com did a good review on it here..and Derek Lemnan also shared some wonderful thoughts on the subject, as seen if going to the following:

As said there (for a brief excerpt):
Up, Up, and Oy Vey by Simcha Weinstein is both theological and fun, and how often does that happen?

You might not think a book about the Jewish cultural connection to the comic book world could be theological, but think again. Didn’t you notice theological themes in Superman and Batman, for instance? Weinstein could possibly open your eyes to a depth you never expected to find in comic books.

The subtitle is How Jewish History, Culture, and Values Shaped the Comic Book Superhero. The opening paragraph is an ironic reflection on the Clark Kent existence of many Jews:
For most of my life, I lived a Clark Kent existence: that of a Jew living in Machester, England, intent on blending into the modern, secular world. I kept my Hebrew name a closely guarded secret. My desire to assimilate required no less.

Weinstein describes the Jewish immigrant experience in America in the 1930′s. Jewish memory of the patriarchs and matriarchs of the Bible, which Weinstein calls the first superheroes, led to imaginative escapes from the difficulties of the time. Weinstein’s analysis revealed a texture to comic book history I had been unaware of:
As Eastern European Jewish Immigrants poured into New York’s Lower East Side in the 1900′s, they too viewed the stories of the Bible through the prism of their hard lives in a sometimes baffling new land and passed them on to their children. And those children in turn retold those Jewish tales using dots of colored ink on pulp paper, beginning in the 1930′s. (Actually, Superman was first drawn on cheap brown wrapping paper, but more on that later.) In those days the shadow of persecution was descending upon European Jews once more, and no one seemed willing to come to their rescue. The world needed heroes.
Weinstein explains the personalities behind the comic book industry, including a host of Jewish names such as:
–Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman.
–Bob Kane (born Kahn) and Bill Finger, creators of Batman.
–Jerry Robinson, creator of the Joker.
–Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber), creator of Spiderman, the Incredible Hulk, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men.
I particularly enjoyed a chart correlating comic books to Jewish values:
–Superman–integrity.
–Batman and the Spirit–justice.
–Captain America–patriotism.
–Justice League–teamwork.
–Fantastic Four–family values.
–Hulk–anger.
–Spider-man–responsibility and redemption.
–X-men–anti-Semitism and reconciliation.

Brilliant material, IMHO--and definately makes see the virtue of comics in a different light when seeing the Jewish aspects to them:):D

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Originally Posted by aniello
As for Superman, NO kryptonite. I remember seeing the original Superman movie when I was a kid, early 40s. It was in black and white, the rocket model that his folks on planet Krypton sent him to earth in was a total hoot. The model airplanes I made as a kid were better, but we sure ate that movie up as kids.

Now that I'm much older I want several of those remote controlled unmanned aerial vehicles. Could use 'em to clear traffic up in town during rush hour. Would be a mitzvah.
Ultimately, I would think it'd be better to be able to fly...and with Superman, alot have noted that the ability he had was really what Adam had in the Garden before the Fall--for it'd make sense to be able to fly if one was to have dominion over the birds of the air (lest he was to simply shout at them above "Come down here!!!!" when he was trying to get their attention :) )...and seeing how many have noted how it feels flying is something man's spirit was meant to do (even feeling natural as we dream), I do wonder at times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
M

MessianicMommy

TBH G, the incarnation of Wonder Woman I'm the most familiar with is this one from the 70s, which was well into syndication in the 80s that I grew up with. With the comics we did have, there was really only one instance of her going to Paradise Island and any mention of the gods other than "By Hera..." or something along that line. She was seen just as American as anyone else. There was such a huge fuss about tv violence back then, which is why WW never really used lethal force or punched and kicked... or even why the A-Team only had elaborate setups that caused the enemy to get tricked or accidentally hurt. So few of the A-Team's bad guys actually died.

I remember those episodes of X-Men really well fwiw. I really enjoyed that incarnation of the series.

Due to my aversion to certain types of advertising and overly sexualized products, and the inability to look at certain magazines or comics before being certain you know it's what you want before going home - comics have largely lost their appeal with me.

As far as the cartoons, I prefer the 70s-90s incarnations of a few of them, though I don't think I'll ever really "get" Aquaman... that was one comic hero that I never really comprehended. And that's why I so love the way they make fun of him in Spongebob Square Pants with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy

How about Jonny Quest? I always liked Hadji...

I didn't much like Space Ghost, Bird Man (BIIIIIRRRRRRRRD MAAAAAAAN! *and son!*) or The Herculoids. A little too hokey for me. I did like Space Ghost Coast to Coast though. Just the right level of silliness to mix in with all the hokey.

One comic/cartoon series that I can think of off hand that did seem to make a little more push towards paganism was Gargoyles. And I really did/do like that series, mostly for the really interesting plot lines and the voice actors. (Many of which are Star Trek Alumni) -- another that comes readily to mind is Sabrina the Teenaged Witch. That went from Archie Comics to tv cartoon (along with Josie and the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] cats and then her own show), and then on to be a live action show with Melissa Joan Hart who was up until then better known as "Clarissa" from "Clarissa Explains it all"

And though some of the thread seems above my head at the moment, I must say I absolutely love that we can come here and get our geek on ala Big Bang Theory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My bad for not getting back with you sooner, sis. Been busy over at CARM for the most part, as well as having to deal with other things along the way....

But on what you said

TBH G, the incarnation of Wonder Woman I'm the most familiar with is this one from the 70s, which was well into syndication in the 80s that I grew up with. With the comics we did have, there was really only one instance of her going to Paradise Island and any mention of the gods other than "By Hera..." or something along that line. She was seen just as American as anyone else. There was such a huge fuss about tv violence back then, which is why WW never really used lethal force or punched and kicked... or even why the A-Team only had elaborate setups that caused the enemy to get tricked or accidentally hurt. So few of the A-Team's bad guys actually died.
Never caught that, but thanks for noting it. For in that era, it really was the case that violence didn't seem to get as focused upon as with other things like we see today. And with shows like the A-Teamn, you really didn't see anyone die....:D

I remember those episodes of X-Men really well fwiw. I really enjoyed that incarnation of the series.
Glad to know I'm not alone in loving that incarnation as well. The way they showed Magneto to be in the series was truly EPIC....as I loved the actor who voiced him and the other actors as well.
Due to my aversion to certain types of advertising and overly sexualized products, and the inability to look at certain magazines or comics before being certain you know it's what you want before going home - comics have largely lost their appeal with me.
Right there with you...as it's sad when so much of it seems like you're watching a cartoon version of a Daytime Drama/Soap Opera where someone got in trouble again for sleeping around. Alot of the comics I only check out occassionally....

As far as the cartoons, I prefer the 70s-90s incarnations of a few of them, though I don't think I'll ever really "get" Aquaman... that was one comic hero that I never really comprehended. And that's why I so love the way they make fun of him in Spongebob Square Pants with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy
Never did understand why so many had alot of issue with him. For the man could easily be under-rated if thinking all he did was live out his life talking to animals. Spongebob did make some good jesting on that matter....but thankfully, they've done ALOT of work on the man over the years. For he eventually gained the ability to control water itself---and even the ability to dehydrate people/kill them by simply touching them and absorbing all of the water in their system. ...and one can go here for more in regards to how the writers have portrayed his abilities in recent days with controlling water, an ESSENTIAL to all life on the planet...and something that can do a WORLD of trouble

To me, that's pretty hard-core---and something necesssary to complete a character who is pretty cool (IMHO) for being King of the Seas/able to communicate with life in the ocean....AND control sea life as well. His effectiveness as a superhero all depends on how he is portrayed--and in one recent series, they made him more akin to an Emperor who was ruthless at protecting his own people at all costs.....and chose to flood significant parts of the world in response to something done to his people. No joke. It can be found under the mini-series name of Flashpoint: Emperor Aquaman. In that series, he and Wonder Woman were actually destined to be married, although her people attacked him and she/him fought to the death. Pretty epic...:cool:

On a side note, in regards to what was mentioned earlier with Wonder Woman/the mythology and religion she hailed from, it is interesting to see how Aquaman shared similar ties with her in that the religion of Aquaman (Arthur Curry/Orin) was also connected with Greek culture. More specifically, the kingdom Aquaman rules over is the culture of Atlantis (as he's an Atlantean-human hybrid )--and as is the case with most Atlanteans, Aquaman can be classified as a Greco-Roman classical religionist who worships Neptune (also known as Poseidon), God of the Seas. Interestingly enough, within the comic portrayal, Atlantean Neptune worship is essentially the "state religion" of Atlantis and the majority of Atlanteans are adherents, although as is the case with most state religions, religious observance varies among individuals, from nominal to devout....much in the same way that Russian Orthodoxy is the official state religion in Russia...even though not all celebrate it out of real concern for God as much as for cultural heritage. And it's interesting seeing the differences between Wonder Woman and Aquaman since the former is more devout in her devotion to her gods while the latter isn't as "reverent" for a host of reasons.

How about Jonny Quest? I always liked Hadji...
He was cool, although I did think that the ways they portrayed him was akin to a misrepresentation of how Eastern individuals are. The new series that came out back in the late 90s did a better job, as not everyone from the Eastern world has to automatically have "powers" like the early edition. More was discussed in the blog of one of the people I follow, who has her degree in adverstiment and specializes in studying cartoons/imagery..and she did an excellent article on the issue entitled Hadji Demystified: Random stuff…… and Hadji Demystified: Magic and ethnicity *or* not every ethnic person has to be magical

I didn't much like Space Ghost, Bird Man (BIIIIIRRRRRRRRD MAAAAAAAN! *and son!*) or The Herculoids.

A little too hokey for me. I did like Space Ghost Coast to Coast though. Just the right level of silliness to mix in with all the hokey.
Same here on what you noted, as the 90's version was HILARIOUS:)

One comic/cartoon series that I can think of off hand that did seem to make a little more push towards paganism was Gargoyles. And I really did/do like that series, mostly for the really interesting plot lines and the voice actors. (Many of which are Star Trek Alumni)
What???!!!!!! You love that series!!!!!! And I thought I was the ONLY one (or one of the few) who did...

Hands down, one of the most melodramatic series I've ever seen...and very epic, in regards to the complex story archs that'd continue throughout the saga, as well as amazing character development. The people in that show are unforgettable and I loved how they used much of folklore/mythology to make characters enjoyable...although it did seem to push more of paganism in specific regards when it came to magic. I actually happened to learn alot about differing mythologies from that show whenever they'd introduce something, including Puck from "A Midnight Summer's Dream" or Anansi the Trickster from African legend..and many others. It did seem to push on the theme of not fearing what one doesn't understand--or being afraid of what's different...especially when examining the complex love relationship between Eliza (Human ) and Goliath (Gargoyle), two people from different worlds who have to overcome a myriad of obstacles simply because of a difference in species and a world that hates mixing of both.

One of my favorite episodes on the issue, called "The Mirror" where Eliza and Goliath become the same species and break down barries to realize their love for one another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbkNqIZe0yk

The World Tour Saga was pretty amazing as well.....especially the "Avalon" episodes...and the ones such as "The New Olympians" where they showed how other creatures of legend (i.e. minotaurs, centaurs, etc) may feel racist toward humans in the same way humans are racist toward one another.

But suffice to say, the show seemed to hit on a myriad of complex themes that were very mature for a Disney Kids show. And thankful they did make it. The actors they chose to play those parts (i.e. Jonathan Franks, Keith Green, etc) were amazing in their abilities.

-- another that comes readily to mind is Sabrina the Teenaged Witch. That went from Archie Comics to tv cartoon (along with Josie and the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] cats and then her own show), and then on to be a live action show with Melissa Joan Hart who was up until then better known as "Clarissa" from "Clarissa Explains it all"
Although I grew up seeing "Clarissa Explains it All", never could get into the show. Just seemed really boring to me--and Sabrina the Teenaged Witch I was never down for..

And though some of the thread seems above my head at the moment, I must say I absolutely love that we can come here and get our geek on ala Big Bang Theory.
Thank you for being geek along with me. Definately something I am glad we have in common:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I must say I absolutely love that we can come here and get our geek on ala Big Bang Theory.
In alot of places, it's sadly deemed a "sin" to even have a geek side to things.....

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
:) Glad to see you back G! You were missed.
Missed you as well, Sis. Geeks for life!!! On a side note, can I start calling you M & M (like the candty)? Just came across my mind awhile ago and I was thinking it fit you seeing how wild you can be at times like the commercials for the brand:p:D

Upvote 0