New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wanderingone - I bet you get the "are they yours?" and "are they adopted?" questions a lot.
Seriously, some people are decidedly close minded.
People are frequently very nice to my girlfriend and i - until they realise that we aren't sisters.

all the time, 2 of my kids are grown now, and when we moved out of NYC the questions eased up (oddly) There are a tremendous number of "interracial" families where I live now and I don't get the questions as much and people here at the schools and programs that I enrolled my kids in when we moved here didn't do the 2nd look thing they tended to when we lived in NYC. (of course we didn't live in a particularly liberal borough in NYC)

When my kids were very small people would walk up to me and point at them and say "Are they adopted" I thought it was sooo rude. Really why did they need to know? Why was it so important to them? With my oldest daughter I was kind of young and looked even younger.. I think people felt even more free to bug me.. I got so sick of the rude questions that I told someone who asked if E was adopted "NO, I _____ed a black guy" (I imagine you can fill in the blank) I happened to be with my mother she was mortified but I figured that's what they REALLY wanted to know.. how did this paleface girl end up with that carmel colored kid... so I told them LOL.

To me it doesn't matter if the kids are adopted or not.. what gives you the right to make my kids feel like they don't look like they belong with me? I mean if we're getting to know someone, and they don't know hubby and they ask if my kids are "mine" I understand they're just interested, a lot of people in my old church adopted kids from all over and I understand someone might just be looking for someone who can share an experience. But to rudely stop a stranger UGH!.

I know when people find out you aren't sisters that you can sometimes feel a "shift" in the air almost? That's what it feels like when people see my hubby and me together for the first time..

Reactions: FlamingFemme
Upvote 0
W

WhatThe

Yeah i totally understand all that. Sometimes its just curiosity, but sometimes it's plain rude. I know a couple, the wife is Maurtian and the husband is caucasian. They have four daughters: one very dark, one blonde, and two who are a mix. And people say 'oh they couldn't possibly be related'.
It's ridiculous. Your family do not have to look like you. They don't even have to be related to you. My step-dad is the best dad i could ever have hoped for, which is why i get annoyed when people start with the whole 'if a lesbian couple have a child the child doesn't belong to both of them'. My step dad didn't father me biologically, but he fathered me emotionally, and to me that means a hell of a lot more.
And YES. I was once happily chatting away to a store clerk when she asked "Are you sisters?". I gave her a look and said no, and it took her a moment to figure it out... and the conversation ended there.
We were at the doctors once, and he asked if i go to church, to which i said no. You know what he said then? "Oh, dont you want to get married in a church?" When i again said no, i don't want to get married, he said "What, are you gay or something?". To me, that was not only rude, but also crossing a professional line.

Reactions: TheManeki
Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

For better or worse, until death do you part. Sorry, I don't believe in divorce and stupidity is not grounds for an annulment. You certainly are on some kick in a vain effort to make mud out of what GOD CREATED, so that you can do whatever and call it marriage. My prayer is that GOD will forgive places like California, Canada, and Colorado for their seeming disregard for the sanctity of marriage in order to play the fool for a group of sex fiends at the expense of families.
So your argument does only apply to minorities you have chosen to hate. Thanks for clearing that up.

Upvote 0