Michigan
✟23,089.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I loved the movie The Ghost and the Darkness, particularly because it was based on a true story. In Tsavo two lions went berserk and killed about 140 people. The behaviour is, to say the least, unusual for lions. It was also the first recorded instance of two maneaters working together (berserk lions are almost exclusively loners, as oppossed to healthy pack lions that avoid humans). I've looked at this story for a while and two things crossed my mind, 'the beasts of the field' and 'demons'. Hey, Jesus let the legions posses a herd of pigs, I've wondered if the odd 'physco' animal attack incident is modern day proof of demons at large. 140 dead isn't exactly normal lion behaviour, it isn't even typical of a sick animal, it's just nuts! Anyhow, there's somemore info at Chicago, http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/exhibit_sites/tsavo/maneaters.html if ya want. Any thoughts?

Dawn Marie

Soda for Wine
Oct 27, 2002
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
Yeah, those lions were unusually large... and the males had no manes, right? I saw a TV programme about this. It's scary to think that 2 lions could kill so many people. I dunno about demons... but I guess it's possible... anything is. Maybe they just developed a taste for humans though... as nasty as that sounds.

Upvote 0

Dawn Marie

Soda for Wine
Oct 27, 2002
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
BeanMak said:
I have seen these two at the Field museum,and honestly, they didn't look too impressive- no manes and not particularly overly large. I guess the people all packed together in one place trying to build that bridge made for easy pickings.
In general, the lions from around that area are larger than lions in other parts of Africa. I dunno how much larger, but I know that they are. It's odd. I wonder why they're so different.

Upvote 0

Icystwolf

Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
✟2,596.00
Faith
Calvinist
XangelX said:
In general, the lions from around that area are larger than lions in other parts of Africa. I dunno how much larger, but I know that they are. It's odd. I wonder why they're so different.

The only way they get larger is if they ate more people, and got fatter which is a subset of larger.

As for lions working in teams, thats what they usually do, theres nothing weird about that. And the movie was definately over exaggerated, to make it seem the lions were smarter, else the movie about two accidental normal lions, lucky to find a cheap all you can eat restaurant, just sounds a bit too ridiculous.

What does sound strange, if this is true, that the lions were males. Male lions don't hunt, females do. The only time that Male Lions hunt, is when they accidentally kill a hyena when protecting their territory. Which is his reward.

Oh and theres nothing weird about 140 people killed. There was a cat in Sydney, that killed on average 4 birds a day, and totalled up around 120 birds in a month.
Depends on the time period. The male lions if they had 3months to devour that many, then yes it is possible.
It's quite obvious it's easier to hunt a human than a rhino.

Upvote 0

Dawn Marie

Soda for Wine
Oct 27, 2002
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
That is why it's so weird. The lions from Tsavo or whatever... are odd. Unique. And apparently the males do hunt. To this day the male lions in that area have no trace of the manes you see on other lions.

I've seen many specials about it, so yes I know they are larger in that area. :)

You are totally right about the hunting in teams thing. Nothing weird about that at all.

Upvote 0

Ryder

Whatever was the deplorable word
Jan 13, 2003
Michigan
✟23,089.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was not under the impression that male lions ever worked together. So it's not only odd that the males were hunting, but hunting together. Could be wrong, but I thought males of maturity only fought?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Icystwolf said:
The only way they get larger is if they ate more people, and got fatter which is a subset of larger.

As for lions working in teams, thats what they usually do, theres nothing weird about that. And the movie was definately over exaggerated, to make it seem the lions were smarter, else the movie about two accidental normal lions, lucky to find a cheap all you can eat restaurant, just sounds a bit too ridiculous.

What does sound strange, if this is true, that the lions were males. Male lions don't hunt, females do. The only time that Male Lions hunt, is when they accidentally kill a hyena when protecting their territory. Which is his reward.

Oh and theres nothing weird about 140 people killed. There was a cat in Sydney, that killed on average 4 birds a day, and totalled up around 120 birds in a month.
Depends on the time period. The male lions if they had 3months to devour that many, then yes it is possible.
It's quite obvious it's easier to hunt a human than a rhino.

I know this is kinda old to respond to..

Male lions hunt. They have to, once they're old enough for them to be kicked out of their original pride and do so (and scavenge) until they can take over (kill the old male) a new pride's females. Often, brother males will team up and hunt together--like the the killers of Tsavo.

Also, male lions hunting continues in their new pride, but primarily it occurs at night, which has only been documented in the last 10-15 years or so with availible starlight equipment.

Man eating is not unuasual. It is figured lions kill and eat an average of 1-2 humans per day in Africa but humans are just part of the menu. Tsavo was an extreme incident.

Incident, Paterson's book deserves a read (there was no Remington, Paterson did pretty much himself)

Upvote 0
Think about this for a sec. Tsavo is a very rough area to live. There is little to eat at some times. The entire land is covered in thorny bushes (hence why the lions did not have manes-adaptation to environment). Then come a mass of humans who hunt or scare away the existing prey. Two brother lions, decide to eat a human. Boy are they easy to kill! And on goes the story. Oh, Tsavo was experiencing a severe drought at the time all of that occured.

Upvote 0

Ryder

Whatever was the deplorable word
Jan 13, 2003
Michigan
✟23,089.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Pray4Isrel said:
Not that this realtes to the story, but I just got bacK from Africa and I got to see lions in the Masai Mara (Kenya) thought that now would be a good time to attach pics of lions. ;)

They were asleep at the time, they had just eaten.
Somehow I can't imagine them killing 140 people. I think that whole situation must have some Spiritual connotation to it.
I'm in your boat, my vote is demon possesion.

Upvote 0

water_ripple

Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟1,561.00
Faith
Christian
Ryder said:
I loved the movie The Ghost and the Darkness, particularly because it was based on a true story. In Tsavo two lions went berserk and killed about 140 people. The behaviour is, to say the least, unusual for lions. It was also the first recorded instance of two maneaters working together (berserk lions are almost exclusively loners, as oppossed to healthy pack lions that avoid humans). I've looked at this story for a while and two things crossed my mind, 'the beasts of the field' and 'demons'. Hey, Jesus let the legions posses a herd of pigs, I've wondered if the odd 'physco' animal attack incident is modern day proof of demons at large. 140 dead isn't exactly normal lion behaviour, it isn't even typical of a sick animal, it's just nuts! Anyhow, there's somemore info at Chicago, http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/exhibit_sites/tsavo/maneaters.html if ya want. Any thoughts?
Perhaps a look at lion behavior:

Usually the female lionesses do the hunting, but seeing as though this is not a pride the males had to find something to eat.
sick.gif
It is important to remeber that most animals have an instinctual fear of man.

Male lions in their young age will sometimes roam together, but their ultimate goal is procreation. They actively seek to challenge pride dominate male lions so that their genes may be passed on. They actively persue the scent of territory marked by other male lions in an attempt to procreate.

All animals are afraid of fire as an instinct. I myself live in bear country. My own brother has had a rather uncomfortable encounter with two black bears who raided the campsite and terrorized him, his friend, my step-sister, and my step-brother. A fire was not burning when this happened (neither in following incident) I have also had an up close and personal meeting with a black bear that put the fear of God into me. Thankfully, the bear did not attack or view me as prey
bow.gif
. This summer my husband and I went camping at the river (a place the bears love because of the food supply and the water) and we were sure to have a big fire all of the time. Bears are great big formidable beasts and are they afraid of humans. But, they do fear fire more. It's nothing to see a bear walk across your front or back yard in this neck of the woods.

There are some bears who have mauled some people and eaten parts of them. However, the amount the bear consumed was not a signifcant amount as to point to hunger. These animals usually felt threatend and defended against the threat. Always though there are remains. One bear who was on a mauling spree in a federal state forest was discovered upon autopsy to have gang-green inside his brain. He had mauled three people.

This is the same with lions. There is always some kind of remains of their prey even if it is only bones.

All animals have a certain prey they hunt. It is true that they will catch whatever is easiest if they are hungry. But, animals do prefer their usual prey over anything else. Animals are wild and follow their instincts. They stick to what they have learned because the things they hunt are the most nutritional for their specific needs. They are adapted well to their own habitat, and when placed out of their specific habitat, they usually die.

IMO these lions could have been possesed. They were not afraid of fire which is an instinct inheriant in all animals. These lions were obviously not actively seeking out a pride for the chance of procreation. They hung around for nine months of thier sexual maturity and ate people. These lions also did not hunt for their normal choice of prey. Nor did they exude the normal insticnt of fearing humans. Quite out of the ordinary. Something was wrong with these beasts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I also really liked the movie and after watching it I did a web search to find more info on the story. Here's the best site I found.

http://www.geocities.com/rabpid7/TSAVO_LIONSx.html

Lt Col. Patterson, the man in charge of building the bridge, wrote a book on his experience's in Africa. The story in the book is what the movie is based on.

Later, when Lt. Col. Patterson donated the skins of the lions to the field museum, he admitted that he had embelished much of the story. The fact of the matter is no one is sure just how many lions were involved in the deaths of the 140 men, most agree that there was more than two. At the time of the event, 1898, a major out break of disease killed off wildlife in the country. The history of this area shows that when the lions food supply runs out, they will turned to people for their meal.

I was a little disappointed to find out all I did about this but it still was a good movie!

Upvote 0