Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just clicked into it and it goes straight to the link that mentions 'belief in harsh punishment'. Are you saying this link you went into also mentions harsh punishment. Here is the link again. Notice its title so it is referring to harsh physical punishment.
That's not the same link!
Yes you do.
No, I don't. This is a forum discussion. I am free to participate - or not - in whatever way I choose, within CF's rules.
Otherwise its just a circus of personal opinions which gets absolutely nowhere and defeats the entire purpose of having the debate in the first place.
Which kind of describes how I see a lot of your claims in this thread. Unsubstantiated and poorly supported, and then you seem to take it personally when I find the whole edifice unconvincing.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,912.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's not the same link!
Well I just checked every post where I linked this. Post #1,430 was the first time, then again in post #1,507, then again in post #1,575, again in post
#1,581, again in post #1,588, and again in post 1,600. Each and every link goes straight into the site titled "Why Do Parents Physically Abuse Their Children" and mentions "belief in harsh dicipline" and the connection between unreal and irrational beliefs and expectations, rigid and controlling thinking (the same thinking and beliefs behind belief in rigid roles) and belief in harsh physical abuse (the same as belief in using violence or control).

I am not sure how you ended up in a different site as I have linked it 6 times and you cannot even find it with 6 opportunities to look at it. That tells me you have not even bothered to look at it until just now and yet your dismissing it before you looked at it. Well now you have 6 places to find it theres no excuse.

No, I don't. This is a forum discussion. I am free to participate - or not - in whatever way I choose, within CF's rules.
So what about the epistemic obligation in debates to provide evidence for claims people make or to not misrepresent things. Isn't this an unspoken moral obligation if one chooses to participate in a debate seeking the truth.
Which kind of describes how I see a lot of your claims in this thread.
lol but you cannot appeal to these epistemic moral obligations of not using personal opinions when you just said your not oblighed to follow them. So using them to point out that I am not adhering to the same obligations is hypocritical.

But it also shows that despite your claim that your not ablighed to be honest and present the truth that you actually believe that this should be the case. So you are upholding the value of epistemic obligations despite your claim you don't have to participate in a debate in any particular way that should promote honest representation through facts and evidence.
Unsubstantiated and poorly supported, and then you seem to take it personally when I find the whole edifice unconvincing.
And yet I am the one supplying the factual evidence and reasoned arguements. You have not done this in our recent exchanges. Only offering personal opinion. Not once have I seen you refute the actual evidence I linked until I made you which shows you were avoiding them. You can't say you properly investigated whether the links were wrong because you did not even look at them.

Which shows that you are basing things on personal opinion by choosing not to engage in the so called "Unsubstantiated and poorly supported" articles. Your claiming my articles are "Unsubstantiated and poorly supported" and you have not even looked at them.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That tells me you have not even bothered to look at it until just now and yet your dismissing it before you looked at it.
Not at all. The link I was lookiing at was something about why spanking is harmful.
So what about the epistemic obligation in debates
Again, this is a forum discussion. There is no obligation here at all.
to provide evidence for claims people make or to not misrepresent things.
I've provided evidence for my claims. Most of our recent discussion has been me pointing out why the evidence you're presenting isn't establishing your claims.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,912.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not at all. The link I was lookiing at was something about why spanking is harmful.
Can you tell me which link that was as I will correct it. But nevertheless you now you have the correct link 6 times so theres no excuse. Use any one of them to refute that its not talking about physical abuse and linking distress, beliefs in abusive and controlling punishment and physical abuse.
Again, this is a forum discussion. There is no obligation here at all.
But you just insisted on those obligations by holding me to them in saying I am only offering personal opinion. How do you determine that this is the case unless you are also implicitly supporting those epistemic moral obligations. Otherwise everything you say about my arguement, my evidence, being unsupported and irrelevant fall on personal opinions including yours.

And yet you appeal to epistemic truth claims and want to hold me to them. Isn't it fair that you should also be oblighed to them if we are to have a coherent discussing in trying to establish the truth and facts.
I've provided evidence for my claims. Most of our recent discussion has been me pointing out why the evidence you're presenting isn't establishing your claims.
No you have not offered any arguements or evidence. The only thing we have been argueing is about your fallacious claim that those specific articles I mentioned were not speaking about PA.

Now that we have established they are you have offered no evidence but only personal opinion and logical fallacies ie " the meaning of harsh". You have not address the article now that I have shown that the entire article is about abusive physical parenting and that "harsh" actually means 'harsh' physical abusive punishment.

I just defeated your objection. Your whole basis for objecting to that article was that 'Harsh' was not referring to physical abuse. That has now been defeated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can you tell me which link that was as I will correct it.
I'm not going back through your squillions of links now. If you want to make a point about something you linked somewhere, I suggest you include just that one link, and a clear quote of which part of it you think is key to your argument, and make it clear which of your many claims you think this supports. Because it's at the point where your posts are so confusing it's not clear which link you're offering in support of which claim.
But you just insisted on those obligations by holding me to them in saying I am only offering personal opinion.
Not at all. You can offer personal opinion all you like; you are not obliged to do otherwise. However, if you do so, recognise that that's all it is, and others will weigh it accordingly.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,912.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not going back through your squillions of links now.
But you just said you linked into it a couple of posts back. That is not hard to find just that one post. You just have to click the back button 2 or 3 times to find it. If you claim its wrong then prove it otherwise your objection is refuted and baseless. This is what I am talking about in how debates work.

You make a claim about my evidence but don't link anything to substanciate that. I then look for it myself and cannot find it. So the obvious thing to do is to ask the person making the claim to give the link so I can correct it. The onus is oin you not me to back up your claim. But you seem to not even be willing to do that which seems strange.

I then have to assume there is no such link.

I think I know the mistake you made. You clicked in to the link that says physical punishment within the quote which was just explaining what physical punishment is and not the actual link for the article itself. I only put the quotes in the post to highlight the sections relating to my claims without the link to the article. But if you were follwong things you should have known that, Once again here is the link for the 7th time. Notice how the link to physical punishment is embedded in the articles link.

The abusive parents have unrealistic expectations of their children and have unrealistic expectations of their children. Abusive parents are usually rigid and inflexible in their thinking. Parents who use coercive disciplinary strategies, such as physical punishment, tend to be over-sensitive to their children’s emotions. They can be overreactive even when the child has not yet been defiant or resistant. Those who abuse children are more likely to use coercive disciplinary methods and believe that harsh punishment is the only way to discipline. They tend to experience higher stress levels, depression, self-blame, and social isolation.
Why Do Parents Physically Abuse Their Children
If you want to make a point about something you linked somewhere, I suggest you include just that one link, and a clear quote of which part of it you think is key to your argument, and make it clear which of your many claims you think this supports. Because it's at the point where your posts are so confusing it's not clear which link you're offering in support of which claim.
And thats exactly what I have done. I have narrowed it down to that one link you claim is not there and yet I have linked it on 6 seperate occassions. I just linked it again on its own for you. all by itself with as you say "a clear quote of which part of it I think is key to my argument, and make it clear which of of my many claims I think this supports".

Ie clerar quotes linking distress, beliefs in control and abusive physical dicipline. I even broke it down step by step for you and defeated your objection about the meaning of 'harsh' dicipline actually meaning physical abusive dicipline and you still ignore it.
Not at all. You can offer personal opinion all you like; you are not obliged to do otherwise. However, if you do so, recognise that that's all it is, and others will weigh it accordingly.
So how do we recognise personal opinion from the facts and truth. Is it not using objective independent evidence. So when you claim I am just expressing my personal opinion and you don't offer any independent arguement or evidence such as with the last article I have linked then all you have yourself is personal opinion.

If this is the case how on earth do we have a coherent debate. You have to be willing to apply the same epistemic standard you expect of me to yourself otherwise your not engaging in the true spirit of debate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But you just said you linked into it a couple of posts back. That is not hard to find just that one post. You just have to click the back button 2 or 3 times to find it. If you claim its wrong then prove it otherwise your objection is refuted and baseless. This is what I am talking about in how debates work.
Steve, this may come as a surprise to you, but I am working and busy. If you want to make a clear point, linking clear evidence, I will respond if I think there is a worthwhile response to be made. But if you're going to fill the thread with a large number of links, and incoherent arguments, and then demand that I sift through them pages later to look for the possibility of something with some substance, I'm just not willing to play that game.
Ie clerar quotes linking distress, beliefs in control and abusive physical dicipline.
The word "distress" only appears once in that link, and it is not listed as something contibuting to abuse. So, no, this does not link distress, belief in control and abusive physical discipline.
Is it not using objective independent evidence. So when you claim I am just expressing my personal opinion and you don't offer any independent arguement or evidence such as with the last article I have linked then all you have yourself is personal opinion.
It is not "personal opinion" to point out that that last article does not mention distress as a contributing cause of abuse.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,912.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Steve, this may come as a surprise to you, but I am working and busy.
Then perhaps thats the problem, you are not dedicating time to research and investigating these matters to properly discount them or understand them to properly refute them and are rushing and providing unsound opinion. Good investigation to properly know the evidence takes time. I spend a lot of time reading and understanding these matters to know what I am talking about.
If you want to make a clear point, linking clear evidence, I will respond if I think there is a worthwhile response to be made. But if you're going to fill the thread with a large number of links, and incoherent arguments,
I am asking you to reply to one link and you can't even do that. Its not coherent, its factual, it clearly states that distress, unreal expectations and beliefs and abusive discipline are linked. Clear factual evidence and not incoherent.

and then demand that I sift through them pages later to look for the possibility of something with some substance, I'm just not willing to play that game.
I'm not asking you to go through all the links, just the one I have posted 7 times for you now and your doing everything in your power to avoid it.
The word "distress" only appears once in that link, and it is not listed as something contibuting to abuse. So, no, this does not link distress, belief in control and abusive physical discipline.
It states that abusive parents are often stressed. That is clear evidnece that the majority are stressed. Taken with the other links that I have already posted which you also avoided that show the vast majority of abusive parents are stressed or distressed its clear evidence that abusive parents are stressed or distressed.
It is not "personal opinion" to point out that that last article does not mention distress as a contributing cause of abuse.
But you did not even mention this before you even looked at the article. You automatically dismissed it as incoherent and irrelevant before you even understood as you admitted you went into a different link instead of the correct one.

That shows you are dismissing the evidence out of hand without any evidnece.

Your also making a logical fallacy in saying I am claiming distress is a cause of abuse. I am saying stress and distress contributes to abuse. The articles title is

Why Do Parents Physically Abuse Their Children​

Under the heading "Why Do Parents Physically Abuse Their Children" it lists subheadings including "Unrealistic Expectations" which includes beliefs, "Rigid thinking" which includes the rigid and controlling thinking, "Disciplinary Belief" which inludes the belief in controlling and harsh (abusive) dicipline, and a couple more such as "Intergenerational Transmission Of Childhood Abuse"

But the headings I want to point out to support that stress and distress is invlved the majority of time at least if not 90% plus is these headings

Self-Esteem And Self-Efficacy
They tend to experience higher stress levels, depression, self-blame, and social isolation.

"Lack Of Skills"
Lack of coping skills to manage stress
Lower ability to inhibit aggression

These are under the heading "Why do parents Physically abuse their children" directly linking these subheadings to why parents physically abuse they children. It could not be clearer that the article is saying one of the reasons and contributing factors is distress and stress and the lack of coping with stress and distress.

So once again you are misrepresenting things.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Then perhaps thats the problem, you are not dedicating time ...
What I am not dedicating time to, is being given the run-around on your posts.
I am asking you to reply to one link and you can't even do that.
I did. I pointed out that it didn't even discuss what you were claiming.
It states that abusive parents are often stressed. That is clear evidnece that the majority are stressed. Taken with the other links that I have already posted which you also avoided that show the vast majority of abusive parents are stressed or distressed its clear evidence that abusive parents are stressed or distressed.
And why do you think it is valid to conflate "stress" and "distress"? They are not the same thing.

I'd argue the majority of parents (abusive or not) are stressed! This does not say anything in particular about the causes of abuse.
Your also making a logical fallacy in saying I am claiming distress is a cause of abuse. I am saying stress and distress contributes to abuse.
What is the difference between saying that something "contributes to," and that something is "a cause of," abuse? How can something contribute to something else without being a cause of it? I mean, really...
These are under the heading "Why do parents Physically abuse their children" directly linking these subheadings to why parents physically abuse they children. It could not be clearer that the article is saying one of the reasons and contributing factors is distress and stress and the lack of coping with stress and distress.
The article appears to be saying that, but when you look further, the study they cite for that finding isn't actually looking at abuse at all. It's looking at the differences between parents of children with and without hyperactivity.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,912.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What I am not dedicating time to, is being given the run-around on your posts.
But thats purely your personal opinion. I happen to think I have presented well researched evidence.

Look where I have taken this thread, the thinking and mindset of abusers, the stresses and other determinants that abusive parents experience, some psychology into how humans come to believe in irrational ideas, how aggression is involved in abuse, the Risk factor model, social theories on how societies believe, beliefs scales, defining hierachies and much more.

All these issues are related to why people abuse and use violence and understanding these aspects is required to understand abuse as its a multidimensional problem. If we did not investigate these things then we would be neglecting important aspects.
I did. I pointed out that it didn't even discuss what you were claiming.
No you pointed out two things which I refuted. One was that the 'harsh' was not referring to physical punishment which I showed it was as the entire article was about "why parents physically abuse their child". It stated that a belief in harsh physical punishment was one of the reasons.

You then said that the article was not linking stress to physical abuse. As I said the article was about "why parents physically abuse their child" and it gave one of the reasons as stress and not handling distress.
And why do you think it is valid to conflate "stress" and "distress"? They are not the same thing.
It seems your determined to find a chink going from one thing and when that fails trying to find another and another. Next it will be the source.
The reference to stress was under the heading Self-Esteem And Self-Efficacy and said "They tend to experience higher stress levels, depression, self-blame, and social isolation".

Thats distress, depression is personal distress. Its saying they don't necessarily have higher stress from outside sources but that they experience higher stress levels personally and depression and self blame because they cannot cope personally. This is personal distress, not coping.

They even say this, that the parent cannot cope with stress. That is distress. Distress is when a person is stressed to the point where it becomes personal to effect them psychologically.

But it doesn't matter anyway because stress or distress they are effected and this is an influencing factor as the article states as to why parents abuse. You were objecting to stress earlier not being a factor so either way the article supports what I am saying.
I'd argue the majority of parents (abusive or not) are stressed! This does not say anything in particular about the causes of abuse.
Yes it does because it shows that stress is a big factor for all parents even for those who don't have additional problems. So imagine those parents who cannot handle that stress like most parents. If parents without additional determinants find it hard then those with other problems find it even harder and will more likely be compromised in some way.

I think if the situation gets to the point where the parent is abusing their kid instead of handling the stress then we can say there are additional stressors to add to the situation that need to be considered. As when it gets to the point of abuse then the entire home is also stressed and distressed.
What is the difference between saying that something "contributes to," and that something is "a cause of," abuse? How can something contribute to something else without being a cause of it? I mean, really...
Like smoking is a contributing factor to lung cancer but may not be the sole cause of lung cancer. But it is highly associated. As I said there is no single cause of child abuse and its a combinaaation of factors that build towards abuse. Each individual may have their own set of factors so not two are the same but there will be some combination that will build towards abuse.

Thats where you keep misunderstanding. If I mention a risk factor involved you then think its the sole cause when its not. The point is these risk factors or as your article calls them "determinants" usually feed into each other. So in the case of stress for some it brings distress, psychological distress, anxiety, depression, low self esteem. That feeds into negativity.

Or the stress turns to substance abuse to cope, and the combined effect may lead to family conflict, job losses, lower socioeconomic status. That is why the poorest populations have the most problems of stress, distress, DV, child abuse, substance abuse, gang violence, crime ect.
The article appears to be saying that, but when you look further, the study they cite for that finding isn't actually looking at abuse at all. It's looking at the differences between parents of children with and without hyperactivity.
Ok now its the source. At least you are engaging in actually investigating my evidence which is good as this makes for a productive debate and may even come up with some good challenges.

The link is from a good source Psychnet. It more or less says the same thing as the article ie Mothers of Hs, especially younger ones, reported markedly higher levels of stress associated with both child characteristics and their own feelings, such as depression, self-blame, and social isolation.

Younger mothers seems understandable as they would have less experience, not be as mature to cope and may find it harder to handle motherhood.

From memory this aligns with another article I linked earlier showing that abuse rates were higher among younger mothers and that they had higher rates of anxiety and depression. So its good science as its independently supported.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But thats purely your personal opinion. I happen to think I have presented well researched evidence.
It's not just what you have presented, but the way you have presented it. It is, at times, very difficult to follow the claims you are making, and the relationship between your presented sources and those claims.
Thats distress, depression is personal distress.
Those are just not the same thing. You can't read different sources discussing "stress," "distress," "depression," and whatever else, and decide that they're all discussing the same thing, or that the claims made for one can be transferred to the others.
Yes it does because it shows that stress is a big factor for all parents even for those who don't have additional problems.
If most parents are stressed, and most parents don't abuse, then you can't claim that stress is causative of abuse. The question then becomes, what is the difference between stressed parents who abuse, and those who don't? We know that it's not stress level or cognitive "compromise," because those are experienced by parents who don't abuse. But we know that the abusive parents have different beliefs and attitudes than the ones who don't abuse.
Thats where you keep misunderstanding. If I mention a risk factor involved you then think its the sole cause when its not.
No, I don't misunderstand at all. I just disagree.

Take your example of smoking and lung cancer. We can demonstrate the carcinogenic effect of substances in smoke. We can measure the rate of DNA damage. It may not be the sole cause, but we can quantify its causative contribution. We have both a mechanism and a measurement of the damage.

We don't have that for most of the things you're discussing as causing abuse, but if they really do contribute, this should be something we can find and measure.
It more or less says the same thing as the article ie Mothers of Hs, especially younger ones, reported markedly higher levels of stress associated with both child characteristics and their own feelings, such as depression, self-blame, and social isolation.
But that source is not discussing abuse. It does not say there is any higher abuse in that cohort. Your article is extrapolating beyond what has been demonstrated by the evidence.
From memory this aligns with another article I linked earlier showing that abuse rates were higher among younger mothers and that they had higher rates of anxiety and depression. So its good science as its independently supported.
No, it is not good science to say, "Oh, this thing here says something that sounds vaguely related to this other thing over there, so they must amount to the same thing."

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,912.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not just what you have presented, but the way you have presented it. It is, at times, very difficult to follow the claims you are making, and the relationship between your presented sources and those claims.
I cannot help if you lack understanding on these matters. There pretty straight forward. All I am doing is repeating the evidence.
Those are just not the same thing. You can't read different sources discussing "stress," "distress," "depression," and whatever else, and decide that they're all discussing the same thing, or that the claims made for one can be transferred to the others.
They are more or less the same thing. Here is the APA's definition which is most relevant.
Distress
the negative stress response, often involving negative affect and physiological reactivity: a type of stress that results from being overwhelmed by demands, losses, or perceived threats. It has a detrimental effect by generating physical and psychological maladaptation and posing serious health risks for individuals. This generally is the intended meaning of the word stress.

When articles are talking about stress suffered by the parent that causes them problems with parenting they are talking about the way a parent handles stress and the effect it has on them and not stress as in the stress we all experience but handle. Those who handle stress don't become distressed.
If most parents are stressed, and most parents don't abuse, then you can't claim that stress is causative of abuse.
As I just said all parents or in fact everyone experiences stress. But its the unreal perception of the person who sees that stress as too hard to handle which results is distress. Your thinking in either and or fallacies again. Either anyone with stress must abuse or otherwise stress is irrelevant.

Whereas like everything its the individual perception of stress and it being percieved as overwhelming which comes down to individual makeup, past experiences, conditions and other determinants which can also vary. One person could handle the same stress levels as they have more coping skills while another becomes overwhelmed.
The question then becomes, what is the difference between stressed parents who abuse, and those who don't? We know that it's not stress level or cognitive "compromise," because those are experienced by parents who don't abuse. But we know that the abusive parents have different beliefs and attitudes than the ones who don't abuse.
Its not necessarily the stress levels but the perception of the stress. One person sees it as something they can handle, they may have more emotional resilence or have support. But others cannot handle the same stress. Like I said your seeing things too black and white like everyone is the same and should handle stress the same.

Plus I have linked the evidence showing stress/distress in involved the vast majority of the time. Even your own article states this. Its states in fact that distress is what causes unreal beliefs, attitudes and expectations.

So the belief is caused by the distress because just as the person percieves the stress as being greater than it really is or sees their child more badly behaved than they really are or sees the world more a threat than it really is so do they believe this to be the case and respond and react accordingly.
No, I don't misunderstand at all. I just disagree.

Take your example of smoking and lung cancer. We can demonstrate the carcinogenic effect of substances in smoke. We can measure the rate of DNA damage. It may not be the sole cause, but we can quantify its causative contribution. We have both a mechanism and a measurement of the damage.

We don't have that for most of the things you're discussing as causing abuse, but if they really do contribute, this should be something we can find and measure.
We do and I have been posting that evidence all along. Thats what I mean by not understanding because we can draw paraelles with other health issues that contribute just like with abuse and violence.

For example we can measure the distress levels and we find that the vast majority of abusers have some distress in the form of anxiety and depressive disorders. We have measurements that measure the distress and we understand how psychological distress effects thinking and emotional regulation which in turn effects thinking and behaviour.

We can then measure the behaviour and find that its associated with higher aggression, unreal thinking, more reactivity, and lack of coping. We can then link this to negative behaviours such as abuse, neglect and violence. Not just with abuse but with other social problems like DV, substance abuse, criminality, gang violence, poor outcomes in health and wellbeing.

So if it works for non abusive issues in identifying risks and negative behaviour then why should negative behaviour associated with abuse and violence be immune.
But that source is not discussing abuse. It does not say there is any higher abuse in that cohort. Your article is extrapolating beyond what has been demonstrated by the evidence.
You don't know that because its behind a pay way. It may refer to abuse in the body of the paper. We just don't know. But the other paper linked in the same article under the heading Parental Burnout does link stress to abuse and so do many other links below so we can safely say that it does link stress and abuse.

Especially considering I have linked another paper below on the same issue and it states that the stress from parents looking after hyperactive kids is highly connected to abusive disicpline.

This is a link from the same article.
Parental burnout is a chronic condition resulting from high levels of parenting-related stress. Research on parental burnout has suggested that parents who experience burnout are more likely to engage in child abuse and neglect.

The fact that parental burnout may increase the risk for child abuse and neglect is not surprising, as previous research has indicated that parental stress is a risk factor for both domestic violence in general and child abuse more specifically, and that the risk for abusive behavior increases as levels of parent stress also increase.

Previous research has identified a link between child abuse and neglect and parenting style, finding specifically that parents who engage in abusive behaviors are more likely to subscribe to overreactive, harsh, and authoritarian parenting styles (Rodriguez 2010).

This also aligns with independent sources that link stress/distress with abuse.

Parents living with a child with ADHD experience stress as they struggle to cope with the child’s symptoms. Parents experience burdensome emotions and impaired social and occupational functioning. These parents tend to have lower self-confidence and less warmth and involvement with their children, and use corporal punishment significantly more than other parents, putting children with ADHD at considerable risk of abuse.
https://repository.up.ac.za/bitstre...d=B5DF0FA99696C2FD53C0BDC6DCE869F7?sequence=1

Parental stress was found to play an important role in abusive families. Abusive mothers reported more stress due to frequent life events, and had a more negative perception of these events.
The role of parental stress in physically abusive families - PubMed

The above also links stress and negative perceptions which form the basis for unreal beliefs and expectations.

Parental stress is a stronger predictor of the risk of child abuse for low SES parents.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0190740923000749
No, it is not good science to say, "Oh, this thing here says something that sounds vaguely related to this other thing over there, so they must amount to the same thing."
Nothing I have linked in this thread like the above link between stress and distress and abuse is vaguely connection but rather are clearly connected and as I said have good solid scientific evidence because many indperndent good sources say the same thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I cannot help if you lack understanding on these matters. There pretty straight forward. All I am doing is repeating the evidence.
I would not agree that you are communicating in a straightforward way, at all.
They are more or less the same thing.
Oh good grief. No, they absolutely are not. Especially when you want to throw depression into the mix as well.
Those who handle stress don't become distressed.
Which would be one reason why they are not the same thing.
Your thinking in either and or fallacies again. Either anyone with stress must abuse or otherwise stress is irrelevant.
No; I am pointing out that if stress is common to both abusive and non-abusive parents, then that is not what differentiates those who abuse, from those who don't.
Its not necessarily the stress levels but the perception of the stress. One person sees it as something they can handle, they may have more emotional resilence or have support. But others cannot handle the same stress. Like I said your seeing things too black and white like everyone is the same and should handle stress the same.
No; I am pointing out that there are many overwhelmed people who are not coping with stress, who nevertheless do not abuse.
So the belief is caused by the distress because just as the person percieves the stress as being greater than it really is or sees their child more badly behaved than they really are or sees the world more a threat than it really is so do they believe this to be the case and respond and react accordingly.
But none of those beliefs are the ones which underpin abuse.
We do and I have been posting that evidence all along.
I have not seen evidence which quantifies the causative contribution of your claimed risk factors. I have seen significant evidence calling that causative contribution into question.
For example we can measure the distress levels and we find that the vast majority of abusers have some distress in the form of anxiety and depressive disorders. We have measurements that measure the distress and we understand how psychological distress effects thinking and emotional regulation which in turn effects thinking and behaviour.
But you have not shown that the distress forms the specific beliefs which underpin abuse.
We can then measure the behaviour and find that its associated with higher aggression, unreal thinking, more reactivity, and lack of coping.
Again, correlation is not causation.
So if it works for non abusive issues in identifying risks and negative behaviour then why should negative behaviour associated with abuse and violence be immune.
Because your chain of evidence doesn't demonstrate what you want to claim it does.
You don't know that because its behind a pay way. It may refer to abuse in the body of the paper. We just don't know.
Well, if we don't know, you certainly can't claim that it does! It does not refer to such things in the part that we can read, nor is that the subject of that study.
This is a link from the same article.
Parental burnout is a chronic condition resulting from high levels of parenting-related stress. Research on parental burnout has suggested that parents who experience burnout are more likely to engage in child abuse and neglect.
So, here's the question. What is the difference between burnt out parents who abuse, and those who don't? Find that difference, and you will find what is actually causing burnt out parents to abuse.

Looking at your sources on stress, all they seem to establish is that there's a correlation between stress and abuse. I'm not surprised, and have agreed all through the thread that a stressed abuser may well abuse more, or more heavily, than one who is not stressed. But stress is not what causes them to abuse, as people who don't hold the requisite beliefs, won't abuse no matter how stressed they are.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,912.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would not agree that you are communicating in a straightforward way, at all.
How can you get copying and pasting exactly what the article says wrong. Its there is plain english. When it says X is a risk factor, it means exactly that. When it says distress is linked to abuse it means exactly that "communicating in a straightforward way"
Oh good grief. No, they absolutely are not. Especially when you want to throw depression into the mix as well.
Its a proven fact that distress in the form of depression and anxiety are the biggest problems for modern society. Its also a proven fact that distress is linked to abuse. Remember it is not 'I who want to throw this in' but what the actual evidence shows. I just showed that with the last articles. Let me remind you of the APA's definition

the negative stress response, often involving negative affect and physiological reactivity: generating physical and psychological maladaptation. This generally is the intended meaning of the word stress.

Do you honestly think depression is excluded as a psychological maladaptation by the APA.

Associations Between Depression in Parents and Parenting, Child Health, and Child Psychological Functioning
Depression is significantly associated with more hostile, negative parenting, and with more disengaged (withdrawn) parenting.

Families with one or more depressed parents often
have additional factors that generally impose risk for children, such as substance use disorders, poverty, exposure to violence, minority status, cultural and linguistic isolation, and marital conflict, which interfere with good parenting qualities and healthy child rearing environments. These additional risk factors are sometimes found to work independently and at other times found to be additive or interactive with the effects of depression in parents.

Which would be one reason why they are not the same thing.
I am not sure what you mean.
No; I am pointing out that if stress is common to both abusive and non-abusive parents, then that is not what differentiates those who abuse, from those who don't.
Thats like saying because lung cancer can happen to smokers and non smokers then smoking is not linked to lung cancer. Your logic doesn't follow, its a non sequitor.
No; I am pointing out that there are many overwhelmed people who are not coping with stress, who nevertheless do not abuse.
Saying that people handle stress does not negate that some parents cannot handle stress and act inappropriately towards their child. Once again a non-sequitor.
But none of those beliefs are the ones which underpin abuse.
Your not seeing the forest through the trees. The specific beliefs such as "rigid roles and controlling hierarchies" are the symptoms of a controlling mindset. A controlling mindset sees the world in rigid and controlling ways not just with roles or hierarchies. Roles and hierarchies are just two examples of the methods that a controlling mind will use to control and abuse.

So its the Mindset we need to understand that wants to make the world about rigidity and controlling others. That is exactly what the articles are explaining.

Your article was good in this respect as it listed the different determinants that cause the unreal and inappropriate attitudes and beliefs of abusive parents such as distress.
I have not seen evidence which quantifies the causative contribution of your claimed risk factors.
How could you have seen the evidence against when you have not read them. Your own article supported the determinants (risk factors) that contribute to unreal and inappropriate beliefs and attitudes that lead to abuse. So how could you not see it when your own article states it.

You keep making this strawman that we need to show each risk factor as a single cause when its the combination and accumulative effect that leads to child abuse.
I have seen significant evidence calling that causative contribution into question.
But your own article supports the Risk factors (determinants) linked to abuse which say exactly the same thing as my articles. So your own link contradicts your unsupported claims that these risk factors are not linked to abuse.

Once again your creating a strawman by insisting that I need to show that each risj factor on their own is a cause when its the combination and accumulative effect that leads to child abuse.
But you have not shown that the distress forms the specific beliefs which underpin abuse.
Once again your own article supports the link between distress and stress and beliefs and attitudes that underpin abuse. My articles say the exact same thing so this makes good science that several independent sources are saying the same thing.

The distress is what causes the unreal perceptions about the world. The unreal or inappropriate perceptions about the world and towards the child are what cause the belief in harsh and abusive dicipline and accordingly as a response and reaction to control the situation in line with the unreal perceptions.

Several of the articles have explained this but you either refuse to see it or do not understand how belief is cultivated in humans.
Again, correlation is not causation.
Oh man not this again. I have already refuted that. Your doubling down now.

There is no single cause of abuse and violence and all aspects are correlations where some are more prominaent than others and where the mix is never any specific set of factors as each individual and individual circumstances and conditions are different. But some combination are almost always involved.

Your creating a strawman and false representation of the problem by making out that abuse should be understood as a single cause when its a combination of factors where none are singly a cause but together cause abuse..
Because your chain of evidence doesn't demonstrate what you want to claim it does.
You missed what I said. I said if the chain of associated factors has been proven with other social issues regarding belief and behaviour then why is it different for abuse and violent behaviour.

Why are you denying the same mechanisms and processes involved in how humans think and behave when it comes to negative social behaviour that harms themselves and others and society. When you deny the same processes to abuse your are denying the way humans think and behave.
Well, if we don't know, you certainly can't claim that it does! It does not refer to such things in the part that we can read, nor is that the subject of that study.
But you were the one who made such a claim that the article did not refer to abuse or harsh parenting as a result of the added stress.
So, here's the question. What is the difference between burnt out parents who abuse, and those who don't? Find that difference, and you will find what is actually causing burnt out parents to abuse.
Once again a non- sequitor, strawman and misrepresentation. Just like distress just because some parents handle burnout doesn't mean some cannot.

Like I said abuse happens as the result of a complex mix of risk factors and also lack of protective factors. When someone has the risk factors and doesn't abuse then its the presence of protective factors that prevents this. Thats the difference.

For example the parent may have risk factors but has emotional resilence and insight she gained from a good relationship she experienced. Or someone intervened to prevent things getting worse.

As opposed to not having any emotional resilence, support network, isolated ect. Abuse happens when the Risk factors outweight the Protective factors.

A Protective Factor is something that buffers, mediates or moderates the influence of risk factors – it reduces the likelihood of the problems that the risk factors would ‘normally’ predict, increasing positive outcomes.

Identifying and Ranking Risk and Protective Factors: A Brief Guide
If a child is exposed to a higher number of risk factors than protective factors, they may be at greater risk of experiencing a negative outcome(s), yet if the protective factors equal or outweigh the risk factors, they may exhibit well-being even in the face of adversity.

When screening for risk factors, it is also important to identify protective factors in the young person’s life . Research has shown that protective factors can act as a buffer to the negative effects of risk factors

Since
prevention work is characterized by intervening before the occurrence of an undesirable outcome, it is essential that preventive efforts be grounded in an understanding of the risk factors present at each level of the social-ecology of the child that may lead to a harmful outcome(s), as well as the protective factors that can help to outweigh them. From this standpoint it is critical to identify and assess risk and protective factors at all levels of the socio-ecological framework.

Poor maternal and paternal mental health has been associated with poor outcomes in children but not all children of parents who have mental health problems are at risk. A number of biological dispositions, sociocultural contexts and psychological processes are likely to interact and can serve as protective factors or risk factors for both parents' and children's mental health.
Family and parenting: statistics).
Looking at your sources on stress, all they seem to establish is that there's a correlation between stress and abuse. I'm not surprised, and have agreed all through the thread that a stressed abuser may well abuse more, or more heavily, than one who is not stressed. But stress is not what causes them to abuse, as people who don't hold the requisite beliefs, won't abuse no matter how stressed they are.
Hum, this is the chicken and the egg thing again. I am not sure and I don't think anyone is. We are still working it out. Its like nature and nurture, its not so simple how humans work and most of the time there is not any 'Single process" going on that causes any human thinking, belief or behaviour.

As I mentioned we know that distress is linked to beliefs. People don't believe in negative and unreal suff for nothing. They have to earn their beliefs and be primed for them.

I can't make you believe that a food you hate is tasty. You can't believe why some people don't like your favorite song or movie because you believe its the best. We earn our beliefs through experiences. If you were forced to eat the food you hate because of circumstances gradually you may come to change your mind and like that food and believe its ok.

The same with unreal beliefs like abuse and controlling others. A person has to come to relate and even like control and violence against others. They cannot believe in something they don't like and relate to and have a need to take on. They feel empowered, it fullfills something in them.

Because ultimately abuse is negative and destructive the experiences that produce such destructive beliefs has to come from negative experiences or be percieved by the parent as negative and a threat that they have a need to control through abuse and violence.

Therefore negative beliefs in using abuse and violence against others has to be earned and taken on by the abuser which means their disposition, their mindset and beliefs have been cultivated by their life experiences and perceptions of negative effects.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Its a proven fact that distress in the form of depression and anxiety are the biggest problems for modern society.
A proven fact? And what were the criteria for analysing and ranking the problems in modern society, and who did that work, and where was it published?

This is a ridiculous claim.
Do you honestly think depression is excluded as a psychological maladaptation by the APA.
I think you're conflating a bunch of distinct things, and on that basis making unfounded claims.
I am not sure what you mean.
I mean that the fact that different people experience different levels of distress when stressed, demonstrates that stress and distress are not the same thing.
Thats like saying because lung cancer can happen to smokers and non smokers then smoking is not linked to lung cancer.
No, and I am not saying that these things are not "linked" to abuse. I am saying that we cannot say that people abuse because they are stressed.
Saying that people handle stress does not negate that some parents cannot handle stress and act inappropriately towards their child.
No; my point is that many people who cannot handle stress don't abuse. There is something else in play which drives abuse, and that is the beliefs and attitudes of the parents.
The specific beliefs such as "rigid roles and controlling hierarchies" are the symptoms of a controlling mindset.
And where is your evidence for this? The specific research looking at those exact beliefs and a so-called "controlling mindset"?
How could you have seen the evidence against when you have not read them.
I have not seen a source which purports to be looking at quantifying the causative contribution of your claimed risk factors.
You keep making this strawman that we need to show each risk factor as a single cause when its the combination and accumulative effect that leads to child abuse.
No, but I keep claiming that if they contibute, we ought to be able to show how, and demonstrate how much.
The distress is what causes the unreal perceptions about the world. The unreal or inappropriate perceptions about the world and towards the child are what cause the belief in harsh and abusive dicipline and accordingly as a response and reaction to control the situation in line with the unreal perceptions.
You have not shown that people who hold these beliefs do so because of distress. I would argue that many who hold these beliefs are not distressed in this kind of way, but do so because of social and cultural norms etc.
Oh man not this again.
Again and every single time you make the same error. It is a logical error to say, "These two things tend to happen together, so that's proof one causes the other." That has to be demonstrated, not just inferred.
But you were the one who made such a claim that the article did not refer to abuse or harsh parenting as a result of the added stress.
There is no reference to abuse in the part of it that we can see, nor is that the subject of the study. To claim that it proves anything about abuse seems a blatant misrepresentation of the study.
Like I said abuse happens as the result of a complex mix of risk factors and also lack of protective factors. When someone has the risk factors and doesn't abuse then its the presence of protective factors that prevents this. Thats the difference.
No. It's the absence of the beliefs and attitudes which drive abuse. Without those beliefs and attitudes, parents don't abuse, no matter the "risk factors." And with them, they will abuse, no matter the "protective factors."
I am not sure and I don't think anyone is.
Given that primary prevention work is entirely predicated on this understanding, then I'd say a lot of people are sure.
Therefore negative beliefs in using abuse and violence against others has to be earned and taken on by the abuser which means their disposition, their mindset and beliefs have been cultivated by their life experiences and perceptions of negative effects.
I agree that they've been formed by their life experiences, but I disagree that it's about "negative" experiences so much as the cumulative weight of total experience, especially including social and cultural norms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,912.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A proven fact? And what were the criteria for analysing and ranking the problems in modern society, and who did that work, and where was it published?

This is a ridiculous claim.
I just literally gave you evidence with the links you ignored. The criteria is the studies on the prevelence of psychological distress especially depression and anxiety). From the actual people and populations experiencing depression and anxiety. Where else but direct from those suffering. Why do you think either the sufferers or the studies made the figures up.

How else are we to have a coherent discussion if you keep dismissing the evidence.
I think you're conflating a bunch of distinct things, and on that basis making unfounded claims.
Thats what you keep claiming so I am pinning you down on this to see if your claim stands up. So I'm asking you about the APA's claim not mine. I'm not conflating anything. If anyone is conflation then you will have to take that up with the APA or make an arguement why the APA is conflating a bunch of distinct things on the basis of unfounded claims.

They are the ones that said psychological maladaptation is linked to abuse. I am only copying and pasting what they say. As I showed with the last article I had to go through it step by step to show you that it was saying exactly what I was saying. You finally admitted it was. Its the same for the other articles. I can go through them to show you that your unsupported assertions have no basis.
I mean that the fact that different people experience different levels of distress when stressed, demonstrates that stress and distress are not the same thing.
Then why does the APA, the ones that give the diagnostic criteria for stress and distress say they are variations on the same thing.
No, and I am not saying that these things are not "linked" to abuse. I am saying that we cannot say that people abuse because they are stressed.
Then why do so many of my links state that people about due to be stressed and distressed. That it is part of why people abuse. We can say that stress and distress contributes to why people abuse. This is fact. Its part of the mix of why people abuse.
No; my point is that many people who cannot handle stress don't abuse.
But this doesn't follow that there are people who cannot handle stress that do abuse. This is a non sequitor.
There is something else in play which drives abuse, and that is the beliefs and attitudes of the parents.
Actually as your link states unreal and inappropriate beliefs and attitudes about abusing and controlling others are caused by distress. You can't believe in wanting to control and abuse others unless you are primed with the need to abuse and control others.

Wanting to control and abuse others comes from experiences that are negative and distressful to the abuser. You can't get such a destructful belief from a positive place.
And where is your evidence for this? The specific research looking at those exact beliefs and a so-called "controlling mindset"?
I just gave them a few posts ago. I am beginning to think you either refuse to acknowledge this or you are really don't understand what they are saying. I also linked the articles on the Parental Rational and Irrational Belief Scale which explains the mindset of those who have beliefs in abuse and control such as "Demandingness" ect.

They explain the mechanisms for how people and parents will develop inappropeiate beliefs and attitudes. Your own link explained this as well. You can't just reject your own links as well.
I have not seen a source which purports to be looking at quantifying the causative contribution of your claimed risk factors.
What do you mean by "quantifying the causative contribution".

Like I said there is no single cause of abuse. But the risk factors combine to cause abuse and I have provided evidence for this. I will only re-link it if you ask for it or dispute this.
No, but I keep claiming that if they contibute, we ought to be able to show how, and demonstrate how much.
I have also provided evidence for this and will only re-link it if tyou dispute this. Your saying that of all the links I have provided none state how these contribute to abuse. Say with data and studies.
You have not shown that people who hold these beliefs do so because of distress. I would argue that many who hold these beliefs are not distressed in this kind of way, but do so because of social and cultural norms etc.
Are you kidding, your own link provided this evidence. I have to respond to this. Look here are some of the links you have obviously ignored.

The results of study showed that the irrational beliefs about parenting were significantly associated with level of parental stress (Graeves, 1997; Mcdonalt, 1993; Starko, 1991) and depression (Eryüksel & Akün, 2003), perceived parenting efficacy (Ackerman, 1991), parent-adolescent conflict (Robin ve Foster, 1989).
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ936304.pdf

The PRIBS and its subscales are significantly correlated with other measures of irrationality and negative emotion, including the General Attitudes and Beliefs Scale-Short Form (Lindner, Kirkby, Wertheim, & Birch, 1999) and the Parental Stress Scale (Berry & Jones, 1995).
irrational parenting beliefs - The Professional Counselor

In other words the Parental Rational and Irrational Belief Scale when measuring parental beliefs and attides is not done in isolation but is closely linked with the measures of irrationality and negative emotions and parental stress. Done in isolation will give false readings of why parents develop these beliefs and attitudes.

Your own link which was about the Determinants of parental beliefs and attitudes ie what factors cause parents to develop negative and abusive beliefs and attitudes about parenting lists the factors that cause beliefs in abuse and cointrol and mentions stress and distress as determinants.

Identification of the drivers of parenting attitudes may aid identification and intervention efforts. Numerous factors were consistently related to more positive parenting attitudes (i.e., more appropriate parenting expectations, greater empathy, and valuing non-physical punishment), including greater educational attainment, caregiver history of child sexual and physical abuse, lower levels of children’s internalizing symptoms, greater family income, and lower levels of psychological aggression. Lower levels of caregiver depressive symptoms, greater number of maltreatment allegations, use of nonviolent discipline, and less severity of stressful life events were tied to more adaptive parenting

Symptoms of depression have been linked with more negative parenting attitudes. Parental stress has been correlated with more negative indices of parenting, including higher rates of physical punishment.

Greater perceived family health has been linked to more positive beliefs regarding non-violent discipline. Families living in dangerous or impoverished neighborhoods experience are more likely to experience higher rates of physical punishment

Caregivers with higher levels of depressive symptoms exhibit more negative parenting attitudes. More stressful life events were hypothesized to correspond with more inappropriate parenting attitudes.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0145213419304594

So not only is it linking the negative stress and distress such as depression in forming abusive attitudes but it also states that positive health and wellbeing is loinked to positive non abusive beliefs about parenting. This shows how relevant the parents psychological state as to being positive or negative is going to influence their beliefs and attitudes towards parenting and the use of abusive disicipline.
Again and every single time you make the same error. It is a logical error to say, "These two things tend to happen together, so that's proof one causes the other." That has to be demonstrated, not just inferred.
And I have never said this so your creating another Strawman to knockdown. Your entire arguement is full of logical fallacies that I keep having to knock down.
There is no reference to abuse in the part of it that we can see, nor is that the subject of the study. To claim that it proves anything about abuse seems a blatant misrepresentation of the study.
I never said it did. That is your conjecture. I said we don't actually know but we have other sources that do know which state that stress and distress are linked to abuse. But of course you totally ignored these again. In fact initially you were the one who made the unsupported claim that the article "was not" about abuse without knowing the content of the article.
No. It's the absence of the beliefs and attitudes which drive abuse. Without those beliefs and attitudes, parents don't abuse, no matter the "risk factors." And with them, they will abuse, no matter the "protective factors."
But the belief in CP itself is not abusive. So something else has caused the abuser to move from the socially acceptable belief to a negative and abusive one. That is they have abused the socially acceptable belief in CP. So the belief in CP itself is not the problem but something within the abuser that heard the same message but distorts it.
Given that primary prevention work is entirely predicated on this understanding, then I'd say a lot of people are sure.
No this is just your take on its. Its not what the majority of the industry think. Your choosing to highlight one aspect at the societal eleve when theres a bunch of factors that happen before that and influence that at the individual and family level your completely ignoring.

Even your own links allude to this when they talk about restructuring society and supporting people with therapy and empowerment to be more equal to prevent inequality that leads to people being in positions where they are oppressed and volnurable to control and abuse.
I agree that they've been formed by their life experiences, but I disagree that it's about "negative" experiences so much as the cumulative weight of total experience, especially including social and cultural norms.
But considering these beliefs are detructful and most people don't go along with them its not the result of society telling them to be abusive but more the personal negative experiences that make the person relate to abusive and controlling thinking in the first place.

Once again your own links mention the many determinants that cultivate abusive and controlling beliefs and attitudes. These are for more positive attitudes or negative attitudes i.e., more appropriate parenting expectations, greater empathy, and valuing non-physical punishment), including
greater educational attainment,
caregiver history of child sexual and physical abuse,
lower levels of children’s internalizing symptoms,
greater family income, and lower levels of psychological aggression.
Lower levels of caregiver depressive symptoms,
greater number of maltreatment allegations,
use of nonviolent discipline,
and less severity of stressful life events
were tied to more adaptive parenting.

So its not just about belief itself and in fact these factors are what cultivates abusive and controlling attitudes or if positive what develops positive and non abusive attitudes towards children.

As I said it takes a lot of cultivate belief in parents and its not just because they hear some message telling them its ok. They have to earn that attitude through experience to believe its good and ok to abuse others. They have to be primed to want to abuse others and anyone primed to abuse others has psychological issues that cause them to turn abuse into something good.

A bit like the current Hamas ideology. They truely believe that they are not terrorising people but are doing Gods work. They are nut cases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just literally gave you evidence with the links you ignored.
My point is that there are many problems in modern society, and without wishing to downplay mental health issues, there are many other problems which could reasonably be considered for the claim of "biggest problem."

War, including that between Russia and Ukraine; between Israel and Palestine; internal conflict in Myanmar, Syria, Mali, Ethiopia, Yeman and Somalia; drug war in Mexico, Haiti and Colombia; and conflict on the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan; would surely deserve consideration.
How else are we to have a coherent discussion if you keep dismissing the evidence.
There's no real point in a discussion based on things like claiming that depression and anxiety are the "biggest problem" facing modern society. That's just you throwing opinions around.
Thats what you keep claiming so I am pinning you down on this to see if your claim stands up. So I'm asking you about the APA's claim not mine.
Ok; APA definitions.

"Stress is a normal reaction to everyday pressures, but can become unhealthy when it upsets your day-to-day functioning. Stress involves changes affecting nearly every system of the body, influencing how people feel and behave.

By causing mind–body changes, stress contributes directly to psychological and physiological disorder and disease and affects mental and physical health, reducing quality of life."

"Psychological distress: a set of painful mental and physical symptoms that are associated with normal fluctuations of mood in most people. In some cases, however, psychological distress may indicate the beginning of major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, somatization disorder, or a variety of other clinical conditions. It is thought to be what is assessed by many putative self-report measures of depression and anxiety."

"Depression: a negative affective state, ranging from unhappiness and discontent to an extreme feeling of sadness, pessimism, and despondency, that interferes with daily life. Various physical, cognitive, and social changes also tend to co-occur, including altered eating or sleeping habits, lack of energy or motivation, difficulty concentrating or making decisions, and withdrawal from social activities. It is symptomatic of a number of mental health disorders."

These are clearly not the same thing.
They are the ones that said psychological maladaptation is linked to abuse.
Which stands to reason, since by definition, maladaptation is shown by behaviour patterns which are detrimental or counter-productive. But what was meant by "psychological maladaptation," in context of that quote?
Then why does the APA, the ones that give the diagnostic criteria for stress and distress say they are variations on the same thing.
That's not what I see when I look at their definitions.
That it is part of why people abuse. We can say that stress and distress contributes to why people abuse. This is fact. Its part of the mix of why people abuse.
I disagree.

We wouldn't accept this argument of a man who beat his wife. We wouldn't allow him to argue that his stress "made" him hit her. We recognise that he made choices about his behaviour, even if he used his abusing as a way to soothe his stress. Why do we accept such a ludicrous claim from a parent who beats their child?
But this doesn't follow that there are people who cannot handle stress that do abuse.
Isn't that basically your argument? That the poor abusive parents are so stressed that they can't help but abuse their kids?
Actually as your link states unreal and inappropriate beliefs and attitudes about abusing and controlling others are caused by distress.
They might be heightened by distress, but distress isn't what causes people to find violence acceptable. It isn't what causes people to believe in hierarchy, power and control. It isn't what causes people to believe in rigid relational and household roles.
Wanting to control and abuse others comes from experiences that are negative and distressful to the abuser. You can't get such a destructful belief from a positive place.
Then why do campaigns aimed at changing social norms work? Because those social norms shape people's beliefs.
I just gave them a few posts ago. I am beginning to think you either refuse to acknowledge this or you are really don't understand what they are saying.
I think you are claiming they say something they don't really say.
I also linked the articles on the Parental Rational and Irrational Belief Scale which explains the mindset of those who have beliefs in abuse and control such as "Demandingness" ect.
And we went through them point by point, and found that those scales measure quite a lot that is not related to abuse, and only a small portion of the beliefs which do drive abuse. (That small area of overlap in the Venn diagram). So no, they don't explain the mechanisms for how people come to hold the very specific beliefs and attitudes which underpin abuse.
What do you mean by "quantifying the causative contribution".
I mean that if you claim that a, b, and c, all contribute to something, we ought to be able to demonstrate how, and measure how much, each of those things contribute.

Not just say, "Oh, we tend to see a, b and c more often near this other thing, so of course they're what causes it!"
But the risk factors combine to cause abuse and I have provided evidence for this. I will only re-link it if you ask for it or dispute this.
I do dispute it. You have not demonstrated that most claimed risk factors cause abuse in any way.
I have also provided evidence for this and will only re-link it if tyou dispute this. Your saying that of all the links I have provided none state how these contribute to abuse. Say with data and studies.
This is very vague. At this point it's not even clear exactly what you're claiming.
Are you kidding, your own link provided this evidence.
I don't believe so. Where does it demonstrate that abusers hold the beliefs they do because of distress?
In other words the Parental Rational and Irrational Belief Scale when measuring parental beliefs and attides is not done in isolation but is closely linked with the measures of irrationality and negative emotions and parental stress.
But does not measure the specific beliefs which underpin abuse. We've been over this...
And I have never said this so your creating another Strawman to knockdown.
This is exactly what many of your arguments amount to. This thing happens more often alongside abuse, so it must cause abuse. It's nonsense.
In fact initially you were the one who made the unsupported claim that the article "was not" about abuse without knowing the content of the article.
It's not about abuse. That is very clear from the abstract. If it were about abuse, it would be mentioned.
But the belief in CP itself is not abusive.
It's one necessary leg of the tripod, in that it demonstrates acceptance of violence, even if at a level not severe enough to meet the legal definition of abuse. But I was not discussing non-abusive corporal punishment.
So something else has caused the abuser to move from the socially acceptable belief to a negative and abusive one.
It's just acceptance of a more severe level of violence.
No this is just your take on its.
Yeah, no. I'm confident enough in my professional experience and expertise, not to be dismissed by someone without the same experience and expertise, metaphorically patting me on the head and telling me I don't understand my own work.
Its not what the majority of the industry think.
I had to explain to you what primary prevention was, and now you claim to know what the majority of the primary prevention industry think?
But considering these beliefs are detructful and most people don't go along with them its not the result of society telling them to be abusive but more the personal negative experiences that make the person relate to abusive and controlling thinking in the first place.
I'd disagree. "Most" people in society hold attitudes which accept violence, at least at some level. Most people hold attitudes which accept hierarchy, power and control, rigid roles, at least to a degree. The depth of conviction might vary, but it would be a very rare person who held none of these values to any degree. They are deeply embedded social and cultural norms.
As I said it takes a lot of cultivate belief in parents and its not just because they hear some message telling them its ok.
Of course not. I have never made such a ridiculously simplistic claim.
They have to be primed to want to abuse others and anyone primed to abuse others has psychological issues that cause them to turn abuse into something good.
You need evidence for claims like that. Dismissing people with whom you disagree as "nut cases" is neither accurate nor helpful.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,912.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My point is that there are many problems in modern society, and without wishing to downplay mental health issues, there are many other problems which could reasonably be considered for the claim of "biggest problem."
War, including that between Russia and Ukraine; between Israel and Palestine; internal conflict in Myanmar, Syria, Mali, Ethiopia, Yeman and Somalia; drug war in Mexico, Haiti and Colombia; and conflict on the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan; would surely deserve consideration.
It depends on where you stand I would imagine. What you class as more of a problem. Certainly for those in war torn nations, war is the biggest issue. But for many in the west, in Australia though war is on their minds its other more local issues that are more pressing like the growing poor mental health.

Just on a week ago we had a mentally ill person kill 6 people while going about their daily life in a shopping centre. This will have caused trauma and psychological issues for many. Its more the phychological harm that lasts which is more prevasive.
There's no real point in a discussion based on things like claiming that depression and anxiety are the "biggest problem" facing modern society. That's just you throwing opinions around.
Its actually very relevant and its not just throwing opinion around but fact. You can argue exactly where mental health ranks but theres no doubting its one of the significant issues facing modern society. Especially in the west. Any problem that effects nearly half the population is a significant problem.

Mental illnesses are among the most common health conditions in the United States.

Depression is the leading cause of years lost due to disability. Mental health problems including alcohol abuse are among the ten leading causes of disability. Depression is ranked third in the global burden of diseases.

One out of every two people in the world will develop a mental health disorder in their lifetime.“Mental disorders are a major health problem worldwide, with massive unmet need for treatment,”
Ok; APA definitions.

"Stress is a normal reaction to everyday pressures, but can become unhealthy when it upsets your day-to-day functioning. Stress involves changes affecting nearly every system of the body, influencing how people feel and behave.

By causing mind–body changes, stress contributes directly to psychological and physiological disorder and disease and affects mental and physical health, reducing quality of life."

"Psychological distress: a set of painful mental and physical symptoms that are associated with normal fluctuations of mood in most people. In some cases, however, psychological distress may indicate the beginning of major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, schizophrenia, somatization disorder, or a variety of other clinical conditions. It is thought to be what is assessed by many putative self-report measures of depression and anxiety."

"Depression: a negative affective state, ranging from unhappiness and discontent to an extreme feeling of sadness, pessimism, and despondency, that interferes with daily life. Various physical, cognitive, and social changes also tend to co-occur, including altered eating or sleeping habits, lack of energy or motivation, difficulty concentrating or making decisions, and withdrawal from social activities. It is symptomatic of a number of mental health disorders."

These are clearly not the same thing.
I never said they were exactly the same thing, I said they are more or less the same thing. Once again you create a strawman.

They are related and feed into each other. Distress is the result of unhandled stress. As the APA article you linked states, "stress contributes directly to psychological and physiological disorder and disease and affects mental and physical health, reducing quality of life."

Psychological disorders is distress. Stress and distress are directly linked. So where we will find prolonged stress we will find higher rates of distress.

But your link is also supporting my case because its showing how stress and distress actually effects mental states and behaviour when it states

Stress can become unhealthy when it upsets your day-to-day functioning,
Stress involves changes affecting nearly every system of the body, influencing how people feel and behave.
Various physical, cognitive, and social changes also tend to co-occur, including lack of motivation, difficulty concentrating or making decisions

Here is the quote also from the APA I originally linked which states distress is "the negative stress response, often involving negative affect and physiological reactivity: a type of stress that results from being overwhelmed"

So the APA is saying 'Distress' is a type of 'Stress' which is a "negative stress response"..

So do you think these cognitive changes will influence their behaviour and the way a parent sees the world, their child and the decisions they make and cause them to percieve things unreal and cause inappropriate behaviour towards the child.
Which stands to reason, since by definition, maladaptation is shown by behaviour patterns which are detrimental or counter-productive.
Exactly which supports that psychological distress and psychological maladaptation experienced by parents can cause detrimental and counter-productive thinking, beliefs and behaviours towards children.
But what was meant by "psychological maladaptation," in context of that quote?
Its obviously to do with psychological states of mind being dysfunctional and not within the normal range of health cognition and resulting behaviour. Distortion and maladaptative thinking. Its not normal functioning, it leads to inappropriate thinking and behaviour.

The quote gives some hints ie "negative affect and physiological reactivity", "being overwhelmed", so its about psychological distress, not handling things, not coping and the result thinking, beliefs and behaviours.

That's not what I see when I look at their definitions.
So this doesn't indicate they are interlinked "distress is the negative stress response, often involving negative affect and physiological reactivity: a type of stress that results from being overwhelmed"

What do theymean by distress being a type of stress.
I disagree.

We wouldn't accept this argument of a man who beat his wife. We wouldn't allow him to argue that his stress "made" him hit her.
Once again a strawman. No one is saying "stress made the person abuse". It is saying that its a contributory factor in the mix as to why people abuse and become violent. Violence itself is a form of intense reactivity associated with stressed states. Severe aggression is a form of stress state. You can't seperate it out of the equation.
We recognise that he made choices about his behaviour, even if he used his abusing as a way to soothe his stress. Why do we accept such a ludicrous claim from a parent who beats their child?
We don't in regards to excusing the behaviour. But we do recognise the roles of stress and distress in contributing. Denying this will distort our understanding of why people abuse and commit violence.

Why do so many courts refer offenders to anger management and psychological therapy is they don't think the inability to handle stress and distress is not an important factor.

These results underline the necessity of assessing and addressing symptoms of psychological distress and AD among men perpetrators in the treatment of IPV.

While there is no single cause that leads to domestic violence, there are a number of risk factors associated with perpetrators and people who experience domestic violence.

A perpetrator’s drug or alcohol use may exacerbate violence. A previous history of violence or offending behavior may also indicate possibility of domestic violence. The victim may be vulnerable from childhood abuse or insecurities and worries about their financial stress, dependence on the perpetrator for income, or other issues causing anxiety and fear.

Violent Behavior: A Measure of Emotional Upset?
Our study suggests that violent behaviour is more likely a response to stress among individuals with particular coping and appraisal tendencies.

Evidence suggests that stressed couples also tend to be aggressive couples. Chronic external stresses interact with individuals’ dispositional and regulatory deficiencies, resulting in a spillover of these stresses into the relationship. High individual stress in combination with problematic interaction styles and problem-solving abilities increases the likelihood of IPA.
Isn't that basically your argument? That the poor abusive parents are so stressed that they can't help but abuse their kids?
No thats your take as you think in either and or fallacies. I said why people abuse and use violence is a complex mix of determinants for which stress and distress play a major role.

Just as the links I posted including what yours clearly agrees with.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Its actually very relevant and its not just throwing opinion around but fact.
No, any claim that anything is the "biggest problem" is just opinion.
I never said they were exactly the same thing, I said they are more or less the same thing.
My point is simply that you can't generalise about them as if they are the same thing, because they aren't.
So do you think these cognitive changes will influence their behaviour and the way a parent sees the world, their child and the decisions they make and cause them to percieve things unreal and cause inappropriate behaviour towards the child.
I think stress can influence us in many ways, but I do not believe it causes us to abuse.
Its obviously to do with psychological states of mind being dysfunctional and not within the normal range of health cognition and resulting behaviour.
Why not quote the actual source material?
So this doesn't indicate they are interlinked
Things being interlinked doesn't mean they are "variations on the same thing."
"distress is the negative stress response, often involving negative affect and physiological reactivity: a type of stress that results from being overwhelmed"

What do theymean by distress being a type of stress.
I would like to see that quote in context in order to work out what they mean.
No one is saying "stress made the person abuse".
Isn't that what you're arguing for? If not, why are we even talking about stress?
We don't in regards to excusing the behaviour. But we do recognise the roles of stress and distress in contributing. Denying this will distort our understanding of why people abuse and commit violence.
To my mind, making it about stress distorts the reality that this behaviour is chosen. And that we can hold people accountable for their choices, and encourage different choices.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,912.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They might be heightened by distress, but distress isn't what causes people to find violence acceptable. It isn't what causes people to believe in hierarchy, power and control. It isn't what causes people to believe in rigid relational and household roles.
Yes it is and thats what the evidence shows. Do you want me to show the evdience again.
Then why do campaigns aimed at changing social norms work? Because those social norms shape people's beliefs.
But the social norms themselves are not necessarily abusive.

I think you will find that when we look at the detail of prevention programs we see that its about restructuring the conditions of society to make people more equal. As your own link said on prevention that people need to be empowered who are disadvantaged which includes helping the disadvantaged in which ever way needed to strengthen their situation.
I think you are claiming they say something they don't really say.
Ah, no I am simply copying and pasting the evidence and just repeating what they are saying. Its pretty straight forward and clear. When they say distress is linked with unreal beliefs and abuse that is exactly what they mean.
And we went through them point by point, and found that those scales measure quite a lot that is not related to abuse, and only a small portion of the beliefs which do drive abuse.
Wait a minute your the one who cited the PRIBS as the go to measure for parental beliefs about abuse.

The PRIBS is a comprehensive measure of all parental beliefs including those relating to their children and dicipline. Do you honestly think the scale would neglect the most important beliefs regarding parenting that involve abuse considering the scale is about parenting, appropriate and inappropriate parenting and child developement.

We did not go through the PRIBS point by point. I pointed out the core beliefs used in the scale especially Demandingness which is directly linked to parenting beliefs about inappropriate parenting including abusive controlling parenting ie Demandingness is about rigid and controlling thinking and parenting and linked to abusive discipline.
(That small area of overlap in the Venn diagram). So no, they don't explain the mechanisms for how people come to hold the very specific beliefs and attitudes which underpin abuse.
Yes they do. The 4 basic beliefs Demandingness, Catastrophizing, Frustration Intolerance and Self-Downing cover all parental beliefs regarding how they interact with their child.

Demandingness: This category of irrational beliefs contains absolutist, rigid beliefs which include should, ought, have to statements associated with harsh and abusive CP.

Demandingness: This category of irrational beliefs contains absolutist, rigid beliefs which include should, ought, have to statements.

Clinical Implications. The aim of the P-RIBS is to contribute to identifying cognitive mechanisms that are responsible for parental dysregulated affect and behaviour. The validation of the P-RIBS has a number of implications to the field of parenting research and interventions. Specifically, the P-RIBS could lead to further understanding of parents’ thinking in selecting different discipline strategies, such as adaptive or maladaptive responses.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042811022749

Parental beliefs are also called in different ways; such as child rearing beliefs, parenting cognitions, parenting schemas. In a broad definition, however, parental beliefs consist of parents’ beliefs about child rearing, parental expectation of their children’s performing certain behavioral patterns, parental perceptions of children behavior and parental roles as childcares, parental attribution of their children’s behavior, and parental self-efficacy.

This article is about Rational emotive behavior therapy REBT which is based on the PRIBS and refers to the core belief 'Demandingness' which underpins the rigid and controlling Mindset and beliefs about the world.

Parents' appraisals of their child's misbehavior influence their discipline strategy, often resulting in harsh or poor discipline style. Mothers who perceive their children's misbehavior as intentional are almost three times more likely to engage in physical punishment than mothers who view their children's misbehavior as unintentional (Ateah & Durrant, 2005). Additionally, a mother’s negative appraisal of her child's behavior is positively related to engaging in an overreactive discipline style.

REBT has a long history of focusing on thoughts, beliefs, and attitudes that affect parenting. This identifies five types of irrational beliefs (IBs): demandingness, awfulizing, frustration intolerance, self-condemnation, and other condemnation. The theory suggests that demandingness, or "absolutistic, rigid adherence to an idea," is the core of disturbance and that the other beliefs are less critical and are created from demandingness.

Parent demandingness refers to an unrealistic expectation of events of themselves as parents, or of others, in this case, their children (DiGiuseppe & Ketler, 2006). Research has established that parental IBs can predict psychopathological symptoms like stress, anxiety, and emotional distress.
Why Do Parents Physically Abuse Their Children

Upvote 0