Is there historical evidence of John the Baptist?

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,943,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am looking for any historical evidence on John the Baptist, such as any records of his death, or anything he had done in his lifetime. What I am most interested in are things that can be dated back to when he was alive. Almost anything will suffice.

Thanks

Flavius Josephus, a first century Jewish historian, mentions John - Antiquities, Book 18, ch. 5, par. 2

2. (116) Now, some of the Jews thought that the destruction of Herod’s army came from God, and that very justly, as a punishment of what he did against John, that was called the Baptist; (117) for Herod slew him, who was a good man, and commanded the Jews to exercise virtue, both as to righteousness towards one another, and piety towards God, and so to come to baptism; for that the washing [with water] would be acceptable to him, if they made use of it, not in order to the putting away [or the remission] of some sins [only], but for the purification of the body; supposing still that the soul was thoroughly purified beforehand by righteousness. (118) Now, when [many] others came in crowds about him, for they were greatly moved [or pleased] by hearing his words, Herod, who feared lest the great influence John had over the people might put it into his power and inclination to raise a rebellion (for they seemed ready to do anything he should advise), thought it best, by putting him to death, to prevent any mischief he might cause, and not bring himself into difficulties, by sparing a man who might make him repent of it when it should be too late. (119) Accordingly he was sent a prisoner, out of Herod’s suspicious temper, to Macherus, the castle I before mentioned, and was there put to death. Now the Jews had an opinion that the destruction of this army was sent as a punishment upon Herod, and a mark of God’s displeasure against him. Josephus, F., & Whiston, W. (1996, c1987). The works of Josephus : Complete and unabridged. Includes index. (484). Peabody: Hendrickson.

Of course, there was this first century tax collector named, Matthew, who had a thing or two to say about him too ;) Read Matthew 3:1-17; Matthew 14:3-12 to start. Mark and Luke had something of interest to say as well.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

OldChurchGuy

Feb 19, 2007
✟15,752.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I am looking for any historical evidence on John the Baptist, such as any records of his death, or anything he had done in his lifetime. What I am most interested in are things that can be dated back to when he was alive. Almost anything will suffice.

Thanks

Aside from the reference provided by DaLeKo, I don't believe there are known documents regarding John the Baptist. Archaeology may find some manuscript somewhere sometime but nothing has appeared yet.

But who knows what tomorrow may bring......

OldChurchGuy

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

Thanks
Josephus and the various New Testament authors is about all there is - but by the standards of 1st century Palestine that's quite a lot.

Upvote 0

Vi

Sep 17, 2004
Central Ohio
✟18,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
actually, I thought there was quite a bit of proof of John. I watch history programs all the time that show us the stuff they have on John the baptist. Maybe you can do a search through History channel or Biography, seems it would be easy to find. He was born of Elizabeth who is cousin to Mary, mother of Jesus, who was a real person as well (as in actual, not assumed to have existed). The lineage is written out, I think in Luke and then the other side is written out in another book - Matthew maybe.... but that lineage is real. Therefore there has been documentation of it.

Here is but one article:
KIBBUTZ TZUBA, Israel - Archaeologists think they’ve found a cave where John the Baptist baptized many of his followers — basing their theory on thousands of shards from ritual jugs, a stone used for foot cleansing and wall carvings that tell the story of the biblical preacher.

Good luck in your research. I did just one simple search and the links are numerous. The Naked Archeologist is another program that comes to mind that might help you with your search.

Upvote 0