SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up thinking my family were conservative Christians. My parents voted Republican.

That said, my parents didn't go to church much, especially as I got older. Their Bible studies and viewpoints were largely their own, not bound to any particular tradition or teachers. I remember they especially got into End Times speculations.

My mom passed away in 2018, so only my dad is still alive. He still votes Republican and is a Trump guy, but other than that, I wonder how conservative he really is. He never speaks on moral issues like abortion, homosexuality, Hollywood, etc. When I've asked him about this, he says, "it's just not in me." He's a very light-hearted guy who likes to only look at the optimistic, fun, creative, and spontaneous, expressive, enthusiastic sides of life, and he's only gotten increasingly this way as he's gotten older (he's 68).

Theologically, his only really conservative view is that Jesus is the only Way. He's also big on giving to people in need. He cites the passage in Matthew frequently where Jesus talks about giving to the least of these.

But as far as morals, politics, and even most theological views, he doesn't go deep into them. One of his life mottoes is, ignorance is bliss, and I'm a pretty happy guy. He doesn't go around trying to argue people into his viewpoints. He doesn't post about evolution, critical race theory, women's roles, any of that stuff conservative men usually get into.

Essentially, he just believes people should be loving, not judging, and that we should dream big dreams and have lots of fun while being generous and giving in the process. He believes Jesus is his Savior, and that Jesus is the Only Way, and that He likely is coming back soon (maybe 2028?), but that's about the depth of his conviction. He thinks people can be saved after they die, so he doesn't really evangelize, and thought it was totally fine for me to marry an unbeliever.

I just ask this because, having seen how other conservative men believe and act, he seems so different. It doesn't surprise me anymore why he's never been big into church. Conservative men are usually much more serious, organized, cautious, and less happily emotional than my dad is. It seems that, despite loving Trump and voting Republican, my dad isn't that conservative, and it's often made it hard for me to engage in church, because they have a hard time understanding why he is the way he is.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟700,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He's probably more fiscally conservative than anything. One can be Christian and have a socially liberal bent with a heavy leaning towards being fiscally conservative - generally that makes someone a Libertarian but there's never anyone to vote for in that party who would ever get on office so most people who are libertarian at heart (Christian or not) vote Republican.

Christianity isn't synonymous with being Republican either. There's atheists and more who vote Republican, it's just that more Christians vote Republican than democrat.

What Trump did was bring back all the Republican voting Libertarians who stopped voting after Bush's escapades... Trump lost the elites but brought in those who had stopped voting. It's probably why your dad liked him so much, because Trump was also a Republican voting Libertarian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟968,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I get the impression he is minimally a religious or social policy moderate and a political conservative. I think people tend to think that religious conservatives will also be political conservatives (and vis versa for liberals). I think that isn't necessarily so.

• Friendly
Reactions: kdm1984
Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks!

Yeah, he probably more or less fits the Libertarian mold, although I doubt he would ever personally categorize or systemize himself to that extent, as he's not interested in analyzing or exploring himself to that degree. I once considered that party when I was younger, but as I've gotten older, I've actually become more of the inverse of Libertarian -- fiscally somewhat left of center, socially/theologically conservative. I'm an official member of The American Solidarity Party.

It seems that the men who are big churchgoers tend to be socially conservative as well, so maybe that's why my dad has never fit into organized church very well.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In regards to his quietness on politics, a lot of people just don’t like talking about politics. You can be for & against things w/out picketing or putting it in your Facebook profile.

Some churches don’t get into politics & just speak in generalities, viewing no side as 100% correct, & that every side has its evils because the world’s been so corrupted by sin that nothing is perfect. He may be used to that.

He may also have a mindset of: ‘I don’t approve everything people do & there’s things I wouldn’t do, but it’s not my business to stop them doing it.’ A lot of believers take this view because they think their Christian beliefs shouldn’t interfere w/ their political beliefs.

It’s curious he’s such a big Trump backer, or so you say.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If he’s having a hard time fitting in at church, it might be due to a combination of factors. Big churchgoers go to church consistently. If that’s not something he’s used to, well, it may not be his political beliefs.

Or: only theological belief is Jesus is the way
doesn't care for evangelism.

Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In regards to his quietness on politics, a lot of people just don’t like talking about politics. You can be for & against things w/out picketing or putting it in your Facebook profile.

Some churches don’t get into politics & just speak in generalities, viewing no side as 100% correct, or that every side has its evils because the world’s been so corrupted by sin that nothing is perfect. He may be used to that.

He may also have a mindset of: ‘I don’t approve everything people do & there’s things I wouldn’t do, but it’s not my business to stop them doing it.’ A lot of believers take this view because they think their Christian beliefs shouldn’t interfere w/ their political beliefs.

It’s curious he’s such a big Trump backer, or so you say.

Yeah, my dad likes to get along with people, so maybe that's one reason he doesn't like to post much about politics.

Another thing I should add is both my parents were big into business. My dad has been a purchasing manager for years and often deals with salesmen. He loves that Trump is a big businessman. My mom did, too. She was in business for years and was actually my dad's boss when they met in the 1970s, lol. My dad's current girlfriend is a businesswoman herself, and another big Trump fan.

By contrast, I've never been into business. I'm more academic.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟843,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds a lot like my dad. Voted Republican. He died in 2006, but he would've loved Trump. He had a religious background, but never wanted to talk about God, at least with me when I became a Christian. The more involved I got in the church, the more interested he became in returning, but passed away before he did. I think it just might be many people from that generation. They were taught not to talk about those personal things, like religion and politics.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
hmmmm I think the term "conservative Christian" is kind of a new, somewhat artificial category that came into existence because of liberalism of the 1900s who wanted to rethink traditional religion etc. I've used it myself but it really just describes a Christian that believes the basic tenets of the Nicene Creed and is not too far out there on sociopolitical topics.

Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds a lot like my dad. Voted Republican. He died in 2006, but he would've loved Trump. He had a religious background, but never wanted to talk about God, at least with me when I became a Christian. The more involved I got in the church, the more interested he became in returning, but passed away before he did. I think it just might be many people from that generation. They were taught not to talk about those personal things, like religion and politics.

I think a lot tend that way. Then again, I know some Reformed his age who are more active politically...but that might just be a Reformed thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟921,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I grew up thinking my family were conservative Christians. My parents voted Republican.

That said, my parents didn't go to church much, especially as I got older. Their Bible studies and viewpoints were largely their own, not bound to any particular tradition or teachers. I remember they especially got into End Times speculations.

My mom passed away in 2018, so only my dad is still alive. He still votes Republican and is a Trump guy, but other than that, I wonder how conservative he really is. He never speaks on moral issues like abortion, homosexuality, Hollywood, etc. When I've asked him about this, he says, "it's just not in me." He's a very light-hearted guy who likes to only look at the optimistic, fun, creative, and spontaneous, expressive, enthusiastic sides of life, and he's only gotten increasingly this way as he's gotten older (he's 68).

Theologically, his only really conservative view is that Jesus is the only Way. He's also big on giving to people in need. He cites the passage in Matthew frequently where Jesus talks about giving to the least of these.

But as far as morals, politics, and even most theological views, he doesn't go deep into them. One of his life mottoes is, ignorance is bliss, and I'm a pretty happy guy. He doesn't go around trying to argue people into his viewpoints. He doesn't post about evolution, critical race theory, women's roles, any of that stuff conservative men usually get into.

Essentially, he just believes people should be loving, not judging, and that we should dream big dreams and have lots of fun while being generous and giving in the process. He believes Jesus is his Savior, and that Jesus is the Only Way, and that He likely is coming back soon (maybe 2028?), but that's about the depth of his conviction. He thinks people can be saved after they die, so he doesn't really evangelize, and thought it was totally fine for me to marry an unbeliever.

I just ask this because, having seen how other conservative men believe and act, he seems so different. It doesn't surprise me anymore why he's never been big into church. Conservative men are usually much more serious, organized, cautious, and less happily emotional than my dad is. It seems that, despite loving Trump and voting Republican, my dad isn't that conservative, and it's often made it hard for me to engage in church, because they have a hard time understanding why he is the way he is.

He sounds "culturally conservative" but not really biblically conservative. His doctrinal error about people getting converted/evangelized after they die is likely the root of all the behavior you describe above.

Given that one error -- then
1. No need to study your Bible because whatever errors you hold to will get "cleaned up" in the next life you will simply accept whatever truth the next-life informs you about - and move on.
2. No need to evangelize anybody else - because they too will also "find out" whatever they need to know in the next life - so no need to bother them with anything they may be missing in this one.
3. No need to attend church or do anything that would "inconvenience you" in this life - since all you really need to worry about is not being a little "Hitler" in this life where you don't get "another chance" in the next life.

So his "just be a nice guy" solution makes sense in view of that one error.

Unfortunately the Bible describes an entirely different reality.

1. "IT is appointed unto man ONCE to die and THEN comes judgment" Heb 10:27
"27 And just as it is destined for people to die once, and after this comes judgment,"

Not "and then comes more chances to get it right, to accept the real gospel, to actually be a born-again christian".

2. According to Christ in Matt 7 - most people end up in hell not heaven

Matt 7:
13 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is constricted that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

... 16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes, nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruits.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; leave Me, you who practice lawlessness.’

In the Bible "sin IS transgression of the Law" 1 John 3:4

1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God"
Rev 14:12 "the saints keep the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Interesting that he loves Trump. May have nothing to do with his walk with Jesus Christ of Nazareth though. Curious, have you asked why he loves Trump? You may get answers that way. Then ask him why he loves Christ.
Blessings

Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

wendykvw

Author, and Patristic Universalist Minister
Mar 24, 2011
Colorado
✟4,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

He sounds more libertarian. A balance between allowing individual choice a happy medium. The balance between two extreme sides left vs. right.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟681,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He sounds like a great guy. No need to label him one way or another. Most conservatives and liberals I know don't go around spouting their views, you have to go to the internet for that!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟700,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think a lot tend that way. Then again, I know some Reformed his age who are more active politically...but that might just be a Reformed thing.

I'm more active politically, and I'm in the reformed tradition so there may be something to that thought process... My husband is very similarity minded to myself, and he grew up reformed.

However, I'm a Republican voting Libertarian... Lol.. I'm not of the mindset that the government is the Church, I very much believe they aren't and that morality cannot be legislated... Some reformed would beg to differ with me on that, this I know.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm more active politically, and I'm in the reformed tradition (my husband teases I'm a "penny pinching Scot" at heart because of it .. lol) so there may be something to that thought process... My husband is very similarity minded to myself, and he grew up reformed)

However, I'm a Republican voting Libertarian... Lol.. I'm not of the mindset that the government is the Church, I very much believe they aren't and that morality cannot be legislated... Some reformed would beg to differ with me on that, this I know.

Yes, one of the biggest shocks when I got out of the shell of my family and started socializing more with other very conservative Christians, were these homeschool Reformed groups that were into guys like Doug Phillips, Doug Wilson, Bill Gothard, and RJ Rushdoony. Theonomy, ultraconservatism, patriarchal type stuff. It doesn't get much more hyperconservative than those sorts. I ran into these kinds of people online a little over a decade ago, and it was definitely different from anything I was ever taught.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟700,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, one of the biggest shocks when I got out of the shell of my family and started socializing more with other very conservative Christians, were these homeschool Reformed groups that were into guys like Doug Phillips, Doug Wilson, Bill Gothard, and RJ Rushdoony. Theonomy, ultraconservatism, patriarchal type stuff. It doesn't get much more hyperconservative than those sorts. I ran into these kinds of people online a little over a decade ago, and it was definitely different from anything I was ever taught.

From what I've gathered speaking to them they believe that way because they believe the law of God, whether administered by government or not, will bring the lost into the fold because the law is a tutor. (Galatians 3:24)

But that's not how I read scripture, as that puts any government as the equivalent to old testament Israel. I don't see that because in fact, I think Scripture was clear that the law wasn't (Romans 8:3-4) adequate.

So it's a discussion for real, one that's not likely to be completely resolved between us in this life. I will say that they do seem to get these ideas from tradition as well, but I've always seen similar teachings as a holdover mindset from Catholicism, one that's not necessarily Scriptural as a whole, at least in the way I read it.

In their defense I will say living in a state where sin abounds isn't fun, and it's far from a great place to raise children... So it's understandable to want to go there, whether it's Scriptural or not.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟459,197.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IMO there is no conservative and liberal christian, those labels should not be used, you are either right with God or not. The problem that some sins get a 'pass' in some christian circles is worrying.
'you don't know that the unjust will not inherit the kingdom of God? neither....'

Upvote 0