Massachusetts
✟590,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jutta, you are first. I suggest that you start with your background with Mormonism, to show what experience you are coming from. And then I can give my experience, as my background . . . if you like :)

But Mark said for you to do the first post.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟590,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And where exactly should I open up the topic?
Hi Jutta :) In the formal debate section, Mark has now opened our thread. And you are supposed to be the first to make a comment. Then I answer, and we go back and forth. Possibly, in your first post, you can share about your own personal background experience with Mormonism. And then I can share my experience from which I have gotten my impression. Then we can go into details about if Mormonism is a church or a cult.

Upvote 0

Jutta2

Sep 8, 2015
✟884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then I start so. Why do I believe that Mormonism is a cult, yes, even a destructive cult? At one hand it has something to do with how I grew up as a woman in the LDS, which the imposed restrictions I got; and on the other hand with what I have now found out about the LDS.
Perhaps we could discuss both areas? Which would you prefer? First, the personal experiences, or what I had found out?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟590,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then I start so. Why do I believe that Mormonism is a cult, yes, even a destructive cult? At one hand it has something to do with how I grew up as a woman in the LDS, which the imposed restrictions I got; and on the other hand with what I have now found out about the LDS.
Perhaps we could discuss both areas? Which would you prefer? First, the personal experiences, or what I had found out?
In your first post, I think, let us get to know you a little bit. Tell us a little of your background which led up to you becoming a Mormon. And then share about how it went for you, in your own personal experience, but be careful about making accusations and general criticisms of any and all Mormons, since this is against the rules of Christian Forums. But the moderator people will check what you write, for you :) And then tell us why you decided to stop being a Mormon.

Then I can comment on that, maybe ask you some questions. One question I might ask is, why was Mormonism appealing to you, at first? And then I can go right on to my own experience of Mormonism . . . the impressions I got, at first, and now my impressions after I became a born-again person of Jesus.

This way, people can see what experience we are getting our impressions from.

And then in later posts we can discuss your reasons for saying Mormonism is a cult or a church. And you might mention one item, at a time, and I can comment on each item, after each post.

But, like I say, this thread is not for the actual debate. I am looking forward to your first post there > > >

Upvote 0

Jutta2

Sep 8, 2015
✟884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was born into the Church. My mother was a member of the church who was of Jewish descent. My father was an American. They met in 1950 in München, where my mother worked as a translator for the US Army. He, too, was a Mormon. Both had sex with each other, and suddenly he was sent home. I was born in Munich. My mother did not hear from him for a long time. Then, I was about e years old, my mother got a letter from him. She wanted nothing to do with him, but her bishop and her home teachers, spoke to her to write him back. Because of me. And so the calamity about which I do not wanna talk here began. The wounds are too big, too severe.
Let's make a jump in the year 2014.!
The year, as I began to investigate the LDS Church really. I found much out what I could not believe, wanted to believe. And I realized slowly but surely, that my faith on sand, on quicksand, is constructed. Only three subjects who showed me that in my opinion the LDS is a cult:

1. Members of the Church are so manipulated that they say anything, think and do what the Church expects of them leadership.

2. Criticism of the Church doctrines, or even their leaders, so entitles the criticism may be, is considered apostasy and is punishable by disfellowshipping and / or excommunication.

3. The behavior of church leaders in cases of child abuse, violence against women, and the hidden and open violence against homosexuals and transsexuals.

These are all characteristics of a cult, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟590,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, Jutta :) That is very clear. It is what I meant by an introductory message for our debate-discussion.

But this thread where you put this is in the "Formal Debate Proposals" section where we only suggest and arrange to have a debate/discussion.

Please put what you just wrote in the thread which says,

"Formal Discussion - Mormonism; Church or Cult?" < This thread is in the "Formal Debate" section.

Then I would like to answer it. God bless you, too . . . good to see you :)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟842,874.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Discussions of this sort are generally not allowed in this forum as it is for proposals only. Please try and confine discussions to the topic and in the formal debate forum. If you need to have side discussions, please do so using the conversation feature.

We need to keep threads on topic to their particular forum.

Mark

Upvote 0

David4223

Matthew 11:28
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
Lancaster, NY
✟128,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
MOD HAT ON

This thread is being permanently closed.

Please note -- formal debate was approved, a thread set up for it, and that proposal threads are just that; reserved for proposals and setting up formal debates.

MOD HAT OFF​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.